Notices

Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 04:26 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
I'm sure he'll be playing on Saturday...

Old
02-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Ville231

Another good comparison is Tuomo Ruutu (Hawks #9 2001). In his rookie season he had 8 points in hist first 41 games. And on the second half 36 points in his last 41 games.

Everybody needs time to adjust, Yeo needs to give Granlund a fair chance.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Don‘t talk about better fit on that first line. there can‘t be an easier thing to do for a rookie than playing on a line with Parise and Mikko.
really? you are expected to score then too, easy or not.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
really? you are expected to score then too, easy or not.
When you've got that kind of guys backing you up there is a good chance that you feel the confidence to actually try to make something offensively instead of playing simple and minimizing the number of mistakes.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Granlund on 1st with ZP and MK is not something that would only be good for him. It would be good for the team, and for his linemates...

YEO,, DO IT!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
Another good comparison is Tuomo Ruutu (Hawks #9 2001). In his rookie season he had 8 points in hist first 41 games. And on the second half 36 points in his last 41 games.

Everybody needs time to adjust, Yeo needs to give Granlund a fair chance.
And I'm fine with the Ruutu example, but personally, I am not expecting a franchise player from Granlund.

I may have held a little hope for that because I didn't see him personally, and yes it is only nine games, but in those nine games, you can see the tools he has to work with and the tools he doesn't. I am not talking about the ability to put up numbers, I'm talking about his strengths and weaknesses as a player, regardless of what the stats say.

He doesn't have much size or strength or much speed. If he puts the rest of his strengths together, he can probably be a top player for the Wild, maybe one of the better playmakers in the league, but I don't think he has all the assets to be an elite player like Stamkos.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'm sure he'll be playing on Saturday...
Of course he will.

I really don't see why he wouldn't.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
LemaireisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If elite players like Stamkos and Thornton could struggle mightily heading into the NHL, Granlund can too. Doesn't mean he's at their level, just means that anybody could struggle in the NHL. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Remember Fabian Brunnstrom? Scored a hatty in his first game coming over from Europe? How well did that work out?

Absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed one way or the other. It takes time and games to really judge a player.

And I'd be careful about gloating considering your thoughts on Brodin post-draft.
I don't mind being a wrong once in a while if I'm right more often than not. I was one of the first to call Pouliot being a bust as well as Sheppard, Gillies etc. The traits all of these players showed in junior followed them into the NHL and they all underperformed because of those deficiencies. Some of them mental, some of them physical.

Yet I still don't see the comparison between Stamkos and Thornton to Granlund. Say what you will but both Stamkos and Thornton were not at a disadvantage physically. Neither was blasted for lacking mobility; nor size.

Granlund won't suddenly become big. He won't ever be a fast player and when you coincide that with his deficiency in size it becomes a major problem in being able to adapt to the NHL game.

I don't doubt that Granlund has the mental capacity to play at the NHL level but the physical tools may not be there to accomplish what his mind knows he can do. He's not used to struggling; not so completely. I find all of the posters saying the Wild have cheated or mistreated Granlund to be laughable. He can't do his job. They would be considered incompetent if he wasn't scratched by now. Even in scratching him people are questioning their competence but scratching Granlund had no effect on the outcome of last night's game against Vancouver.

I remember Fabian Brunnstrom. So what? He had 17 goals for the Stars in his first year here as a 23-year old. Granlund had a goal in his first game. Do you really want to compare to the two?

IMO, Granlund hasn't shown me anything; despite playing on the 2nd line for MOST of his time with the Wild that he is deserving of a spot in the lineup that is etched in stone. He has to be better by his own admission. I think he now realizes just how far away he is.

Someone said Mikko won't let him give up? How would Mikko know? According to him, last night the Wild were "right there" with Vancouver. If I were Mikael, I'd want another mentor than another underperformer in Mikko Koivu. Just sayin'...

Old
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
LemaireisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Of course he will.

I really don't see why he wouldn't.
I dunno, maybe because we want to win. And do you really want to put a guy who struggles with the physical and skating parts of the game against one of the more physical and better skating teams in the league?

IMO, if you play Granlund against Nashville you're asking for trouble.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
JJTT

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
I dunno, maybe because we want to win. And do you really want to put a guy who struggles with the physical and skating parts of the game against one of the more physical and better skating teams in the league?

yeah we played so well without him..

Old
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
I dunno, maybe because we want to win.
it sure worked grrrreat last night

Old
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Granlund on 1st with ZP and MK is not something that would only be good for him. It would be good for the team, and for his linemates...

YEO,, DO IT!
that should be done from the shift one

Old
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Tree-hugger

Quote:

Say what you will but both Stamkos and Thornton were not at a disadvantage physically. Neither was blasted for lacking mobility; nor size.
He's not strong but if he'll follow the "doctor's orders" next off-season - he'll come around. Have no idea if he does though.

Quote:

Granlund won't suddenly become big. He won't ever be a fast player and when you coincide that with his deficiency in size it becomes a major problem in being able to adapt to the NHL game.
What I heard - Jarick went from 60 x too few x too long with his hang and cleans to 110x10x3x(60) and did not even break a sweat. Now he's running low 11's- It's about practice. Just kidding, don't rain on me.

Quote:

IMO, Granlund hasn't shown me anything; despite playing on the 2nd line for MOST of his time with the Wild that he is deserving of a spot in the lineup that is etched in stone. He has to be better by his own admission. I think he now realizes just how far away he is.
That's more like it. Granlund needs a bit of support. If he can't get it then it's a wasted pick.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Mara

It's obvious he isn't ready to be a center in the NHL, and it's possible he never will be... They should drive him in as a winger, see where it goes, then try him as center if necessary once he shows he can play on a consistent level. The lack of size and speed as massive handicaps have been obvious to me for a long time now, I don't understand why they insist(ed) on making him top 2 C right from the start.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
QnebO

Quote:

Yeah, Granlund has been the weak part in the team, otherwise the team has played well whole the season and Wild's game looks solid. First line getting 0 to 2 shots 5 on 5 against any team is very good effort and its all we can ask for them, and the rest team hasn't any reason to complain neither. Specially the guys who are much on Minus, have been great. It has just been bad luck. But Granlund, he has been horrible, I yet haven't seen five, or even one lacrosse scoop goal, and he hasn't become even yet at this point become the team's leading player during he's long NHL career..

It looks like the card-granlund is now seen. He has played enough seasons in the NHL now. Also he's humble defensive play is worth of absolutely nothing and he deserves to play in the ECHL team's farm of the farm of the farm of the farm teams benchwarmer-lines left wing, because I haven't seen too many toe drags yet and everything is he's fault after all. Playing OK is not what you expect from a rookie. Selfrespecting hockey fan can not wait anything less than 76 goals and 132 points or more from a rookie. Worser rookie.. wouldn't talk about a hockey player at all. Granlund is responsible for every lost game, specially the one he didin't play in. The fact that he isn't on the ice when our opponents score usually doesn't mean that he isn't suddenly somehow not alone responsible from all the losses, like some idiot thinks. Actually, not being on the ice when opponents score just makes every loss and a goal against only more of hes personal fault.

So lets send him to ECHL or lower. And if we keep losing after that, we can still blame him.

Last edited by QnebO: 02-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
It's obvious he isn't ready to be a center in the NHL, and it's possible he never will be... They should drive him in as a winger, see where it goes, then try him as center if necessary once he shows he can play on a consistent level. The lack of size and speed as massive handicaps have been obvious to me for a long time now, I don't understand why they insist(ed) on making him top 2 C right from the start.

This is true but the reason he is playing #2 center and has is because he is simply the best option we have on this team right now to play that spot. Cullen and Brodziak aren't getting it done. So there you find Granlund.

Hopefully the scratch lights a spark for Nashville. Me personally I wish he would be on that top line with Parise and Koivu at wing but I like him better on the 2nd line than in the press box.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Beegoalie

so many pissed off Finns in one thread...now I see where the "Koivu tantrum" comes from!

EDIT.

Last edited by Beegoalie: 02-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
so many pissed off Fins in one thread...now I see where the "Koivu tantrum" comes from!
Wanna know what pisses us all off even further? Calling us "Fins". Fish have fins, we are Finns.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
so many pissed off Fins in one thread...now I see where the "Koivu tantrum" comes from!
Dont worry, we are the only ones. Aguess we are the stupid ones! Most of finns actually enjoy when finnish idols or sportsmen fail. Everyone hated even Kimi Räikkönen and talked all possible **** about him, he's voice and him saying "I dont care" or "I dont know". But just untill he became a champion. Now they are all fan of them too! Luckily, im not one of them, but dont worry, 90% of people who live in Winland will only give s*it for Granlund atm.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-hugger View Post
What I heard - Jarick went from 60 x too few x too long with his hang and cleans to 110x10x3x(60) and did not even break a sweat. Now he's running low 11's- It's about practice. Just kidding, don't rain on me.

Actually I did practice cleans last year for about two weeks and started at 60# and went up to 90# and then tweaked my back on squats and quit. Sorry...

But I do swing kettlebells multiple times per week and would definitely do snatches if I had the ceiling height. 45# x 15 x 12-15 with 30 seconds rest. I do break a sweat though

/OT

Old
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Wanna know what pisses us all off even further? Calling us "Fins". Fish have fins, we are Finns.
My apologies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Dont worry, we are the only ones. Aguess we are the stupid ones! Most of finns actually enjoy when finnish idols or sportsmen fail. Everyone hated even Kimi Räikkönen and talked all possible **** about him, he's voice and him saying "I dont care" or "I dont know". But just untill he became a champion. Now they are all fan of them too! Luckily, im not one of them, but dont worry, 90% of people who live in Winland will only give s*it for Granlund atm.
No idea who that is?? Im not sure if you took that as I'm against Granlund?? I've been one of his biggest supporters though just so you know.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:14 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
This is completely unfounded, but I can not help feeling like Granlunds NHL time might be over. If he ends up playing long term in the AHL, he will be better off in the KHL, and will probably end up there.

Even though he puts on a brave face, I am afraid his motivation and willingness to continue playing for Minnesota has been severely reduced. Just a feeling though.
I've got a feeling that you're either trolling or down right y'know. Just a feeling though. Anyhow it's pure madness.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Sportserie

He better be playing today! I disagreed with Yeo scratching him last game. Ridiculous.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 AM
10dynasty38*

Granlund needs NHL experience. There is no better time than this year. 48 game schedule, no one gives a damn what happens this year. This is a patient mans dream. The Wild have a chance to give Larsson, Brodin, Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, and maybe Hackett NHL ice time to move foward towards next year. Who gives a crap about this year. Fletch needs to plan for next year. Meaning unloading dead weight. Heatley Setoguchi Brodziak Harding Backstrom Kassian PMB. Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:42 AM
10dynasty38*

Quote:
I don't mind being a wrong once in a while if I'm right more often than not. I was one of the first to call Pouliot being a bust as well as Sheppard, Gillies etc. The traits all of these players showed in junior followed them into the NHL and they all underperformed because of those deficiencies. Some of them mental, some of them physical.

Yet I still don't see the comparison between Stamkos and Thornton to Granlund. Say what you will but both Stamkos and Thornton were not at a disadvantage physically. Neither was blasted for lacking mobility; nor size.

I don't doubt that Granlund has the mental capacity to play at the NHL level but the physical tools may not be there to accomplish what his mind knows he can do. He's not used to struggling; not so completely. I find all of the posters saying the Wild have cheated or mistreated Granlund to be laughable. He can't do his job. They would be considered incompetent if he wasn't scratched by now. Even in scratching him people are questioning their competence but scratching Granlund had no effect on the outcome of last night's game against Vancouver.

I remember Fabian Brunnstrom. So what? He had 17 goals for the Stars in his first year here as a 23-year old. Granlund had a goal in his first game. Do you really want to compare to the two?

Someone said Mikko won't let him give up? How would Mikko know? According to him, last night the Wild were "right there" with Vancouver. If I were Mikael, I'd want another mentor than another underperformer in Mikko Koivu. Just sayin'...
In responce to this, Granlund will never be big or fast but he has an intangible that most Nhlers would love to have. Instinct. It is not something that is taught. I'm not the biggest Granlund fan but he has instinct and good periprial vision. The NHL is funny. You can be a great athlete and fail or you can be some frail kid like Gretzky and light the leauge on fiire. Dont count Granlund out yet,

Look at the bright side. Larsson and Brodin are locks. even if the Fins fail. The best hockey players come from Sweden. I.E Lidstrom, Forsberg, Nilsson,

Last edited by 10dynasty38*: 02-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Closed Thread