HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Would the new Nords be a budget team or one that spends freely? I'm at the point where I'm thinking I'd enjoy it more if the Coyotes moved. The gong show with contracts and the budget is getting to me.
I'd say it would be a mix. Depanding on the teams performance. It would ressemble Pittsburgh i would say. If the team is really bad, or rebuilding, i doubt the GM would go up to the cap.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
Yotes in Seattle would cost the same than an expension in 3 years :
170millions for the yotes + renovating the Key Arena to a "minimum" NHL standard + 3 years deficit in the Key = 300 millions
Don't forget to add a sweet $60M-$80M relocation fee bill, or is that charged only to teams moving to Canada

Old
02-08-2013, 08:25 AM
AllezlesBleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
OT but I love your username and hope it becomes our chant if we get a team. We better not get the Ole Ole's I'm dead tired of those
Totally agree. I do feel real pleasure when emo Montreal's crowd begin to chant OLE OLE when they are leading by only one goal at the end of the 2nd period and then a player from the other team nails a good goal behind Price.

Anybody went to the 2008 world championship? Were you paying attention to the Euros hockey fans? They were doing a great job in the stands (chanting, playing music, wavering flags) for their teams.

Tourists like to say that Quebec City is an European bubble at the north of America. Why not take that particularity and bring it in OUR arena?

Allez les Bleus!

Old
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezlesBleus View Post
Totally agree. I do feel real pleasure when emo Montreal's crowd begin to chant OLE OLE when they are leading by only one goal at the end of the 2nd period and then a player from the other team nails a good goal behind Price.

Anybody went to the 2008 world championship? Were you paying attention to the Euros hockey fans? They were doing a great job in the stands (chanting, playing music, wavering flags) for their teams.

Tourists like to say that Quebec City is an European bubble at the north of America. Why not take that particularity and bring it in OUR arena?

Allez les Bleus!
I do agree and I do up we end up chanting "Allez les Bleus". That would be so cool!

Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Don't forget to add a sweet $60M-$80M relocation fee bill, or is that charged only to teams moving to Canada
Ah, yes the dreaded **** you tax.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Ah, yes the dreaded **** you tax.
No, it's the "starving people are willing to pay much more for food" tax.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
When doing comparisons, you should look at city population before metro-population.

Winnipeg 663,617
Quebec City 516,622
(...)

NHL Cities with less than 500k in City population:
(...)
Anaheim 353,643
Pittsburgh 311,647
Saint Paul 287,151

(...)
Boston 645,169
I don't understand why you spent the time to dig up city proper population figures when all they do is contradict your (bolded) claim. The reason why metro numbers are much better than city numbers is that municipal boundaries are the result of various political and historical processes that have nothing to do with "market size". I don't buy for a second your argument that the NHL does better in Canada because "more of its population is closer to the city center", especially if you think city proper population is in any way related to density.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezlesBleus View Post

Allez les Bleus!

We could do like at Rouge et Or football games and try to mimic South Africa 2010 World Cup fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Move a team there. The Lévis Nordiques? Has a nice ring to it
Well, technically, they might still be called the Quebec Nordiques in such case, because the Phoenix Coyotes are not even playing in Phoenix at all and the orginal Nordiques didn't play in Quebec either. The Nordiques actually played in Limoilou, but in 2002 that city merged with Quebec City.

Last edited by DJ Omnimaga: 02-08-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
We could do like at Rouge et Or football games and try to mimic South Africa 2010 World Cup fans

Well, technically, they might still be called the Quebec Nordiques in such case, because the Phoenix Coyotes are not even playing in Phoenix at all and the orginal Nordiques didn't play in Quebec either. The Nordiques actually played in Limoilou, but in 2002 that city merged with Quebec City.
I beg you pardon but we had carnival trumpets before the south africans named it vuvuzelas.

In fact, I suspect that the first vuvuzelas were probably a batch of unsold carnival trumpets.

If it's the case, we're sorry.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
No way this tax would exist for a relocation in the US,
I'm 100% sure this tax is only for Canada...
Bettman would call it "exchange rate for canadian dollar"

Old
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

I really don't understand why some are so fixated with the population differences between Quebec and Winnipeg. City vs metro, metro vs city...... oy vay. They are both similar.

The bigger picture, IMO, is that the league is better with teams in both Winnipeg and Quebec City.

I live in the Buffalo area and would like nothing more than to hate the Quebec Nordiques again.

I remember a game in the late 80s or early 90s when Jacques Cloutier played his first game as a Nordiques against the Sabres. He was the key to Quebec winning the game and as much as we all hated the Nordiques winning, many fans stayed late for the three stars and we all cheered when he was named first star of the game. That's one of the reasons I hope Quebec gets a team again.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
I beg you pardon but we had carnival trumpets before the south africans named it vuvuzelas.

In fact, I suspect that the first vuvuzelas were probably a batch of unsold carnival trumpets.

I really didn't understand the uproar about that: Someone has had one at pretty much every hockey game I've ever been to.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
DJ Omnimaga

The issue with those trumpets is that during the Soccer World Cup in 2010, about half of the fans in the stadiums had one and blew it through the entire game, making an incredibly annoying sound. At Rouge et Or a lot of people have Winter Carnival trumpets that look similar, but since crowds are only about 10-15K, it's far less bad, not to mention some people got smaller trumpets with a different sound and the sound escapes quite easily from the stadium compared to those big stadiums at the World Cup.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
The issue with those trumpets is that during the Soccer World Cup in 2010, about half of the fans in the stadiums had one and blew it through the entire game, making an incredibly annoying sound. At Rouge et Or a lot of people have Winter Carnival trumpets that look similar, but since crowds are only about 10-15K, it's far less bad, not to mention some people got smaller trumpets with a different sound and the sound escapes quite easily from the stadium compared to those big stadiums at the World Cup.
And people at the PEPS don't blow in them all the damn time.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Would the new Nords be a budget team or one that spends freely? I'm at the point where I'm thinking I'd enjoy it more if the Coyotes moved. The gong show with contracts and the budget is getting to me.
I'd imagine they'd be a team that would be smart with their money, and build through the draft much like Nashville

I think a new Nords spending habits would be akin to other small market Canadian teams' spending habits (though less like Calgary, and more akin to Winnipeg/Edmonton/Ottawa)

Old
02-09-2013, 07:02 PM
enarwpg

...soon .....very soon !

Old
02-09-2013, 08:25 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I really didn't understand the uproar about that: Someone has had one at pretty much every hockey game I've ever been to.
It's not so bad when there's only a handful at a game.

Did you watch any of the WC matchups? It was ear-piercing drone that went literally uninterrupted the entire game, and that with the crowd volume turned down for TV broadcasts. Being there in-person must have been migrane-inducing.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Ugmo

Quote:

They were a plague in the early years of MLS, back when they used to be called "plastic horns" and the only thing creating atmosphere at the games was little kids blowing on them while their soccer moms sat by disinterestedly. Then the South Africans discovered them, gave them an exotic name, and everyone started debating whether they were an annoyance or an expression of local culture.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:25 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post

Did you watch any of the WC matchups? It was ear-piercing drone that went literally uninterrupted the entire game, and that with the crowd volume turned down for TV broadcasts. Being there in-person must have been migrane-inducing.
Yeah, but it didn't bother me as much as it bothered the people I watched them with: It's easy for me to focus on the announcer and tune out the background noise.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Limoilou was annexed by Quebec in 1909 and it's been a part of the city since then.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post

I have to say having attended 3 games at the WC in South Africa you didn't even notice it in stadium. It was background noise just like any singing or chanting by fans.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
JB52

I guess I'm a bit OT, but just heard on Bob Mccown the CEO of the new USFL.

Well, that's what we need in Quebec City, much more than an Hockey team. A professional American football team to play at the PEPS. We must put Régis on that story.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
I guess I'm a bit OT, but just heard on Bob Mccown the CEO of the new USFL.

Well, that's what we need in Quebec City, much more than an Hockey team. A professional American football team to play at the PEPS. We must put Régis on that story.
Actually i would much rather have a CFL team if it comes to it.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989

Coming along

Old
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post

Coming along
Cant wait to see the fondations being built and for the end of the summer when the steel structure go up.

Closed Thread