HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Meh, Gagner probably plays bigger than Grigorenko does.

That's kind of why I'm not as high on Monahan and Gautheir as others. Being 6'3''+ doesn't mean much to me if you're basically only using it to shield the puck.

Guys like Lazar, Hartman and Horvat add more "size" to a team even though they're all hovering around 6'0''.
The same could be said for Barkov. I think a guy like Rychel that had 6 points last night and can throw some hits would be a valuable guy to have if we are picking late. Too bad he's not a center.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That would be great, if this team is picking that high, but part of me (if this kind of player is available at the Oilers' spot in the draft) wants a bigger center or defenseman that scares teams a bit.

Zadorov, Nurse or even Gauthier

Nurse is the guy I have my eyes on right now. Always a good thing when MacKenzie says he "imposes himself" on other players. The Oilers need more of that.
I really like Nurse. Zadorov is a bit of an unkown for me. The kid is a monster, and I think he might have a little offense in his game.

I have only seen Gauthier play a couple of times but I don't think he is all that physical. Could be wrong on this one though.

Last edited by Fourier: 02-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I really like Nurse. Zardov is a bit of an unkown for me. The kid is a monster, and I think he might have a little offense in his game.

I have only seen Gauthier play a couple of times but I don't think he is all that physical. Could be wrong on this one though.
The most important thing for me isn't that they hit people, it's about driving to the net and getting yourself in position to battle for pucks and use your size to take advantage of smaller defencemen or forwards.

What's everyone's thoughts on defence this year? How would you rank these guys:

1. Ryan Pulock
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Darnell Nurse
4. Nikita Zadorov
5. Josh Morrissey
6. Robert Hagg
7. Madison Bowey
8. Ian McCoshen

I really like Ristolainen. He plays that North American game. He just needs to be more consistent.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That would be great, if this team is picking that high, but part of me (if this kind of player is available at the Oilers' spot in the draft) wants a bigger center or defenseman that scares teams a bit.

Zadorov, Nurse or even Gauthier

Nurse is the guy I have my eyes on right now. Always a good thing when MacKenzie says he "imposes himself" on other players. The Oilers need more of that.
Yeah, that's why I'm a big fan of Nurse.

He's got all the tools you want in a top pairing defenseman, but he's also a mean SoB. He's got a bit of Pronger in him in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The same could be said for Barkov. I think a guy like Rychel that had 6 points last night and can throw some hits would be a valuable guy to have if we are picking late. Too bad he's not a center.
I like Rychel too.

He'd look good in our top6. He's got good size and that knack for scoring goals.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Fourier

Quote:
The most important thing for me isn't that they hit people, it's about driving to the net and getting yourself in position to battle for pucks and use your size to take advantage of smaller defencemen or forwards.

1. Ryan Pulock
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Darnell Nurse
4. Nikita Zadorov
5. Josh Morrissey
6. Robert Hagg
7. Madison Bowey
8. Ian McCoshen

I really like Ristolainen. He plays that North American game. He just needs to be more consistent.
I like Gauthier. My response was directed at the comment that he might scare people. He's not really that kidn of player, at least not in the games I have seen him play. What he is is a very good two-way center. I'd be fine with the Oilers taking him.

Zadorov on the otherhand could be very scary. He is huge and seems to live to crush people.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Matt19Oilers

Lazar sounds like a nice pick to me. I know that might just be because he is already right here in Edmonton, but I like what I hear about him. His shot is apparently NHL caliber and while he isn't expected to be a major point producer, I hear that he pays a lot of attention to the little things on the ice, and plays with a bit of an edge. It sounds like he could slot in as a 2C or even a 3C if we can build up some scoring depth; and play special teams.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Lazar sounds like a nice pick to me. I know that might just be because he is already right here in Edmonton, but I like what I hear about him. His shot is apparently NHL caliber and while he isn't expected to be a major point producer, I hear that he pays a lot of attention to the little things on the ice, and plays with a bit of an edge. It sounds like he could slot in as a 2C or even a 3C if we can build up some scoring depth; and play special teams.
Only way I want Lazar is if we make a deep playoff run. No sense in going off the board with a 1st. A 2nd, sure. But in the first, you take BPA

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I gotta say if the Oilers did miss the playoffs... there are a pile of players there in the top 15 prospects that are just what they need. Full of centres and dmen.

Worse case scenario is they'd have to "settle" for a big winger like Nichushkin or Erne.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
rockinghockey

Rychel would be a nice addition, he has size and skill and would fit nicely behind Hall on the LW. Watching Hall on the faceoff last game he looked pretty good. Move him to centre then we would have:
Hemsky; Hall; Eberle
Rychel; RNH; Yak
PRV; Lander; Harti
There is a lot more size and grit in the top 9.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:

1. Ryan Pulock
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Darnell Nurse
4. Nikita Zadorov
5. Josh Morrissey
6. Robert Hagg
7. Madison Bowey
8. Ian McCoshen

Really like Ristolainen, and like the idea of having the Nordic pair on the back end (Klefbom/Ristolainen) to go with the Nordic line up front. Zadorov has all the tools, and if developed right should be a really good DMan. Also heard good things about Nurse and Pulock too. Any of the four would be good fits.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:20 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Centers and Goaltenders?

Unless we can get a premium Dman.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:28 PM
SDig14

Our defense and centre depth is terrible, and severely lacking quality players.

Assuming players are similar ranking, if we don't leave the 1st round with a centre or a d-man we have made a big mistake IMO.

Can't trust management to fill those holes.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
SDig14

I think a potential top 4 of Smid, Klefbom, Schultz, and a guy like Nurse could be pretty enticing, with Petry factoring in too it should be much improved long term.

Guys like Whitney, Potter, Peckham, etc. just leak chances against and cost us wins with regularity.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Our defense and centre depth is terrible, and severely lacking quality players.

Assuming players are similar ranking, if we don't leave the 1st round with a centre or a d-man we have made a big mistake IMO.

Can't trust management to fill those holes.
Disagree. If we got a guy like Nicushkin, we're probably more than ok with Gags at center

Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. If we got a guy like Nicushkin, we're probably more than ok with Gags at center
Depends what aspect of the game you're looking at.

Fine as far as size in the top 6? Agreed, or at least close.

Fine as far as being an all around team? No. Better defensively? No.

It still leaves huge holes down the middle and on D, and so far it's clear management isn't concerned enough to be proactive in trying to fix them.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Draft the BPA as always.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:01 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Draft the BPA as always.
The problem with this philosophy is that you need a capable GM that can make trades.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
The problem with this philosophy is that you need a capable GM that can make trades.
Meh. You take the BPA. If Tambo is unable to move those guys to improve the team, you find someone who can. No sense in passing on a Parise again to fit a need

Old
02-09-2013, 12:14 AM
SDig14

The problem is scouts and GMs vary a lot on their assessment of BPA.

People talk about the Parise/Pouliot situation as if we passed on the obvious BPA, traded down, and then took a player just because he was over 6'0.

Oilers management and scouts assessed Pouliot and thought he was a great combination of size and skill down the middle and saw him as the better option over Parise.

You always take BPA if it's clear, but I want a centre or a d-man no matter what if many players are ranked equally.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:12 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Agreed. Nichushkin playing across from Yakupov would be a great combo IMO. Plus, he'd add size/physicality to the top 6. If we could get him, trade up back to late first for Lazar and grab Jarry too I'd be ecstatic.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:06 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Only way I want Lazar is if we make a deep playoff run. No sense in going off the board with a 1st. A 2nd, sure. But in the first, you take BPA
Going off the board with a first for Lazar?

Pfffffft.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Agreed. Nichushkin playing across from Yakupov would be a great combo IMO. Plus, he'd add size/physicality to the top 6. If we could get him, trade up back to late first for Lazar and grab Jarry too I'd be ecstatic.
My viewings of him are limited but I don't see the big upside that others see. I would not take him top 10, but I would take him top 15 (provided someone else doesn't slip) he has an impressive set of attributes most notably how well he skates for his size. His dekes while sound don't seem to have a ton of variety and lacks that dynamic flare you see from other top draft picks (although they are usually smaller in stature), he could also stand to utilize his teammates better. He is good at shielding the puck and attacking the net and many players have made a good career out of just that, but I'm not sure about his grit to do that consistently against NHL defenders who make you pay a price to take it hard to the net. I'm guessing he'll be a better skating Zubrus with a little worse hands, but will take the puck to the hard areas with greater frequency.

Last edited by Burnt Biscuits: 02-09-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old
02-09-2013, 03:27 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
My viewings of him are limited but I don't see the big upside that others see. I would not take him top 10, but I would take him top 15 (provided someone else doesn't slip) he has an impressive set of attributes most notably how well he skates for his size. His dekes while sound don't seem to have a ton of variety and lacks that dynamic flare you see from other top draft picks (although they are usually smaller in stature), he could also stand to utilize his teammates better. He is good at shielding the puck and attacking the net and many players have made a good career out of just that, but I'm not sure about his grit to do that consistently against NHL defenders who make you pay a price to take it hard to the net. I'm guessing he'll be a better skating Zubrus with a little worse hands, but will take the puck to the hard areas with greater frequency.
I have no desire for Nichushkin. He is all skill but no hockey sense what so ever. pass on him.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Soundwave

Isn't Nichushkin a center?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Meh. You take the BPA. If Tambo is unable to move those guys to improve the team, you find someone who can. No sense in passing on a Parise again to fit a need
That's true, even though I hope we're not drafting this high, if a player like Drouin is on the board, I would take him.

Closed Thread