Sheppard???

Old
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I see. You're against me. You're all against me, aren't you? Well, I'll show you. I'll show you all...

oh ya?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
GreatWhiteLark

I've had the pleasure of watching James play since he was 14, and more importantly his last two years of junior. You folks have landed a real stud, IMO.

James is a lot faster than people give him credit for, it's his foot speed right now that is going to keep him from the NHL this year, but make no mistake everything else is near NHL ready.

It's funny to read the scouting reports on James, specifically the "defensive minded" comments, because our junior team (Screaming Eagles) don't use him that way. With us, pure power forward and can (and does) go through guys. Very hard hitter, great down low and very good strength. When he's on, he can be almost unstoppable, but like any 18 year old he is still growing as a player. He was used in a shut down role at the Canadian under 18's, but with us he got some 2nd unit PK time and wasn't used to shut down any opposing players.

But given he can take care of his own end, we could throw him out against anyone and not have to worry. His numbers might not be very high either, but our team is a defensive minded club that doesn't score a lot of goals and relies on top tier goaltending to win games (M-A-Fleury, Martin Houle and most recently, Ondrej Pavelec, an Atlanta draft pick). James scoring 30 goals / 80 points on our team is like a 50 goal / 100 point man on a lot of other clubs. He's got some real good skills and does all the little things that is needed to win.
Oh, and while he doesn't do it too ofter he can fight too.

GreatWhiteLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
vitogor

To all those who have seen him play a lot. Which NHL player would you compare him to, both in terms of potential production and style of play? From what I gathered here, seems like he is a combination of Jason Arnott and Ryan Smyth. Am I too far off with my assessment?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:46 PM
GreatWhiteLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
To all those who have seen him play a lot. Which NHL player would you compare him to, both in terms of potential production and style of play? From what I gathered here, seems like he is a combination of Jason Arnott and Ryan Smyth. Am I too far off with my assessment?
No, you're not too far off at all. He's not as physical as Jason, but has good size and use's the body well so they are sorta similar. He has leadership skills like Smyth but is a much better playmaker (potentially) BUT doesn't have Smyth's touch around the net.

If I had to compare to him anyone right now, I'd go with a younger Rod Brind'Amour. Rod's a very physical player (As anyone who watched Carolina can attest to), great down low, does all the little things that don't show on the score sheet and is good defensively with leadership.

Sheppard's not as good on faceoffs tho.

GreatWhiteLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Bruno8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Give your head a wild shake.
Sheppard was 0,001 seconds from being the fastest skater at the 2006 NHL Top Prospects Skills Competition.

http://www.chl.ca/CHLTopProspects/2006_skills.html
And the Wild's 2nd round pick, Fiala, was # 1. # 1 and # 2 in the speed catagory at the CHL prospects isn't bad. I guess Riser did see some playoff games after all.

Bruno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace Bay 'Bye View Post
No, you're not too far off at all. He's not as physical as Jason, but has good size and use's the body well so they are sorta similar. He has leadership skills like Smyth but is a much better playmaker (potentially) BUT doesn't have Smyth's touch around the net.

If I had to compare to him anyone right now, I'd go with a younger Rod Brind'Amour. Rod's a very physical player (As anyone who watched Carolina can attest to), great down low, does all the little things that don't show on the score sheet and is good defensively with leadership.

Sheppard's not as good on faceoffs tho.
Well, there's no shame in that. Not many people are!

I just want to say that I, for one, really appreciate all this information on Sheppard. I have to admit, I'm getting a lot more excited about this pick every day, and a lot of that is because of the things you've said. He really does sound like a hell of a human being, and a better hockey player than I realized. Thanks, and I hope you post here a lot more often in the future.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
The Big E

Very interesting discussion on the drafts board about Sheppard in relation to Gillaume Latendresse. check it out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=266758

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

I posted this in mid-May

As advertised- a humble, articulate kid who seems to get it. Not a bad choice at all at No. 9 overall IMO.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nhl/200...DraftEuros.htm

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote