HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs need a #1 center

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 06:19 PM
  #51
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
But if Toronto had drafted Galchenyuk, would you say: "There is no way Toronto moves Galchenyuk" as well?

I dont know, according to the op, Toronto is looking for a center, so maybe Galchenyuk have more value to Toronto than Montreal.

does Galchenyuk have more value to Montreal than any other team in the league? There are teams worst than Montreal at the center position, Gachelnyuk doesnt have any special link to Montreal. I dont really see a reason why Galchenyuk could have more value to Montreal than his value to another teams, if another team drafted him.

The only reason i can see why Montreal should not move Galchenyuk is the gap between the asking and bidding price. But if a team is willing to close the gap with the right pieces, then a trade is possible.
I don't know what your talking about. if he did have more value to another team they would have traded at the draft for him and if his value wasn't extremely high for Montreal they would have drafted some one else.

Not only does Montreal NOT have a #1 center but Galchenyuk projects as a 1A center with high offensive upside.

Basically the asking price will be high very high, you might think he's unknown and not worth it but then I would say I guess he is worth more to Montreal than other teams...

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
  #52
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
obviously
amongst other things

the points being:
- is there a team out there willing to trade one (esp if they feel they have more than one)
- what would the team ask for in return
- preferably players not 1st rounders
- and preferably no one in this group (if so then likely more is involved coming back)

lupul -------- kessel
jvr kadri frattin
--- --- ---

gardiner phaneuf
reilly -----
--- -----

reimer
----
With those restrictions you will end up with the same kind of #1 center you got when Burke signed Connolly.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
  #53
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
obviously
amongst other things

the points being:
- is there a team out there willing to trade one (esp if they feel they have more than one)
- what would the team ask for in return
- preferably players not 1st rounders
- and preferably no one in this group (if so then likely more is involved coming back)

lupul -------- kessel
jvr kadri frattin
--- --- ---

gardiner phaneuf
reilly -----
--- -----

reimer
----
in the summer, getzlaf

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
  #54
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
in the summer, getzlaf
Why wouldn't Getzlaf want to sign in a hockey crazy market? This thread is full of win. I love leaf fans. Let's give up squat for proven NHL talent. Do Leaf fans realize that they constantly run their players out of town? Players aren't going to want to sign in Toronto unless they already have the pieces in place.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
  #55
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Very very few legitimate 1st line centres in the NHL are acquires via trade. Theyre almost all drafted, NYR got one in free agency.

Thornton is quite literally the only example. Unless you count guys like M. Richards, Carter, Ribeiro, etc, who are all 1B guys. Buffalo got Hodgson, but his upside isnt considered to be franchise C material anymore.

Leafs pretty much have to draft one. Prospects projected to be top line Cs, very likely wont get traded. Most of those are already in the NHL anyways. Leafs could do what Buffalo did and acquire a good C prospect who has an outside chance of becoming that calibre, but isnt expected to (Coyle as an example), but not guys like Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, etc.

This draft has a ton of high quality C prospects. I kinda see it as the forward version of the 2008 draft. This is the year for Toronto to sell off assets, and try and walk into this draft with something like three 1st round picks, and use that flexibility to move up if needed to get the 1 or 2 guys theyre targetting.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  #56
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Let's draft one.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
  #57
Dellstrom
The new age
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,327
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
obviously
amongst other things

the points being:
- is there a team out there willing to trade one (esp if they feel they have more than one)
- what would the team ask for in return
- preferably players not 1st rounders
- and preferably no one in this group (if so then likely more is involved coming back)

lupul -------- kessel
jvr kadri frattin
--- --- ---

gardiner phaneuf
reilly -----
--- -----

reimer
----
"Give me a #1C, but please don't take any of my good players or 1st round draft picks."

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
  #58
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !
 
Vsevolod Bobrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
obviously
amongst other things

the points being:
- is there a team out there willing to trade one (esp if they feel they have more than one)
- what would the team ask for in return
- preferably players not 1st rounders
- and preferably no one in this group (if so then likely more is involved coming back)

lupul -------- kessel
jvr kadri frattin
--- --- ---

gardiner phaneuf
reilly -----
--- -----

reimer
----
lmao this is gold

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
  #59
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 500
I don't see any true # 1's available in the Crosby, Sedin, Kopitar, etc level (except maybe Getzlaf).

The Leafs are unlikely to get any center upgrade till the off-season.

The Leafs should focus on a 1B/2A calibar player preferably who either has size or can play like he has size.

In free agency:

Getzlaf (who is probably just a dream)
Weiss, Roy or Filppula (none are ideal but would only cost cap space)

In trade (decent chance of being traded):

-Krejci
-One of ROR or Stastny
-Cammalleri (not really what the Leafs need but should be available)

Slight chance of being traded:
-Datsyuk (but it's highly unlikely Detroit would ever support a total rebuild as they'll probably just become an average for a few seasons instead)
-Couturier (would require either Gardiner or Reilly going the other way as the Flyers need D)


Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 02-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
  #60
Marlboro
Registered User
 
Marlboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LeafsNation
Country: Canada
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Leafs need to pursue Nick Bjugstad from florida, waiving around some right wing forward prospects and roster defencemen for the trade

Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:14 AM
  #61
Sundinisagod
just give'r
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,373
vCash: 500
I think they're best option atm would be to find a way to get into the top 5 or 6 of the 2013 draft.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
  #62
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Very very few legitimate 1st line centres in the NHL are acquires via trade. Theyre almost all drafted, NYR got one in free agency.

Thornton is quite literally the only example. Unless you count guys like M. Richards, Carter, Ribeiro, etc, who are all 1B guys. Buffalo got Hodgson, but his upside isnt considered to be franchise C material anymore.

Leafs pretty much have to draft one. Prospects projected to be top line Cs, very likely wont get traded. Most of those are already in the NHL anyways. Leafs could do what Buffalo did and acquire a good C prospect who has an outside chance of becoming that calibre, but isnt expected to (Coyle as an example), but not guys like Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, etc.

This draft has a ton of high quality C prospects. I kinda see it as the forward version of the 2008 draft. This is the year for Toronto to sell off assets, and try and walk into this draft with something like three 1st round picks, and use that flexibility to move up if needed to get the 1 or 2 guys theyre targetting.
Good points^

Time to rebuild properly.

Trade: Kessel, Phaneuf

Load up with picks/ prospects.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
  #63
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
A) Most teams want to keep their centers. If they have two that could be #1 centers, they most likely want to keep them.

B) you want a #1 center without giving up Phaneuf, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri, JVR, Lupul, Frattin, or Kessel??? Hey, line up people, you can trade your #1 center to the Leafs!! Unfortuanetely, they have a 9 player untouchable list, and ideally, no first round picks!!


Note: if you want one of those 9 players, you're probably going to have to send more than just a #1 center back
It's the same mentality in Edmonton. We will take your assets and give you five players with no value in return. They think its quantity over quality.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
  #64
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious View Post
Rielly for O'Reilly straight up
Leafs need to add an "O'". Seriously, the only way we get a trus 1C via trade is to include some of the OP'S untouchables.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
  #65
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Good points^

Time to rebuild properly.

Trade: Kessel, Phaneuf

Load up with picks/ prospects.
We are pretty young now, and Kessel being 25 isn't like dealing an old guy for youth thing. How about we consider a guy like Weiss and run Weiss, Grabo, Kadri and McClement/Steckel/Komarov.

Not ideal, but 1B/1B is better than what we have.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
  #66
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
MacKinnon was born to be a Leaf.

Trade Kessel, Phanuef, etc.. Build around MacKinnon, Gardiner, Reilly, JVR, Kadri, Frattin. It'll be a strong core.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
  #67
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
MacKinnon was born to be a Leaf.

Trade Kessel, Phanuef, etc.. Build around MacKinnon, Gardiner, Reilly, JVR, Kadri, Frattin. It'll be a strong core.
What every leaf fan should want. I've been saying this from day one. Lots of great young talent there that can't be reached if we keep playing all the overpaid players.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
  #68
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
We are pretty young now, and Kessel being 25 isn't like dealing an old guy for youth thing. How about we consider a guy like Weiss and run Weiss, Grabo, Kadri and McClement/Steckel/Komarov.

Not ideal, but 1B/1B is better than what we have.
I've suggested this many times to Leaf fans, most are looking for the "Homerun" #1 center. I like the idea of running with a 1B/1B. It works for Boston (Krejci, Bergeron)

A Weiss/ Grabo combo looks nice. Add Weiss & Luongo to this Leafs roster and they're a playoff team imo.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
  #69
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
MacKinnon was born to be a Leaf.

Trade Kessel, Phanuef, etc.. Build around MacKinnon, Gardiner, Reilly, JVR, Kadri, Frattin. It'll be a strong core.
Core looks stronger with Kessel/Phaneuf plus the guys you listed than it does with MacKinnon.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
  #70
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I've suggested this many times to Leaf fans, most are looking for the "Homerun" #1 center. I like the idea of running with a 1B/1B. It works for Boston (Krejci, Bergeron)

A Weiss/ Grabo combo looks nice. Add Weiss & Luongo to this Leafs roster and they're a playoff team imo.
Cost would be way to high....and goaltending has not been an issue so far. It may become one, but until then, no sense selling the farm.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
  #71
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
MacKinnon was born to be a Leaf.

Trade Kessel, Phanuef, etc.. Build around MacKinnon, Gardiner, Reilly, JVR, Kadri, Frattin. It'll be a strong core.
You'd also have to add the returns from the Kessel/Phaneuf trades to that core.

But even if Kessel/Phaneuf got traded, I doubt we'd hit bottom 2 in the NHL. So I think MacKinnon is a pipe-dream.

Could probably get a guy like Barkov or Monahan though.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
  #72
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Core looks stronger with Kessel/Phaneuf plus the guys you listed than it does with MacKinnon.
True. But you run the risk of becoming the new version of the Calgary Flames. No true young franchise 'rock' to build around offensively.

Only two roads here for this Franchise to follow. Look to add that 1B center to run with Grabovski as a 1-2 punch at center (via trade or UFA). Or trade top assets and load up at draft for Franchise player(s).

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
  #73
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
True. But you run the risk of becoming the new version of the Calgary Flames. No true young franchise 'rock' to build around offensively.

Only two roads here for this Franchise to follow. Look to add that 1B center to run with Grabovski as a 1-2 punch at center (via trade or UFA). Or trade top assets and load up at draft for Franchise player(s).
If this was a sure thing, i'd be in. And comparing Calgary to the Leafs isn't realistic. They are old. Iggy, Kipper, Jbow...all vets that are coming to the backside of their carrers.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  #74
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If this was a sure thing, i'd be in. And comparing Calgary to the Leafs isn't realistic. They are old. Iggy, Kipper, Jbow...all vets that are coming to the backside of their carrers.
Nothings a sure thing. But keeping our current players essentially guarantees us no franchise players, whereas if we sell them, we increase our chances of getting a franchise player (or two). Right now Rielly is the only guy in the organization who looks like he might have that kind of upside.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  #75
ttam103
Registered User
 
ttam103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo View Post
Leafs need to pursue Nick Bjugstad from florida, waiving around some right wing forward prospects and roster defencemen for the trade
Doubt Florida will move him - they are probably going to trade Weiss / lose him in the off season. Their future will be solid wiht Huberdeau and Bjugstad holding down their top two center spots.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.