HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH's injury

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
  #51
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post


Looks like his right shoulder... I know he was getting his left shoulder looked at before the WJCs...

Does anyone remember which shoulder he had surgery on in his rookie year?
Disagree.. to me it looks like he fell awkwardly on his left shoulder. Its the one he held awkwardly while getting up (I checked the video), and the one he injured last year.

Surgery after the season me thinks.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM
  #52
H4LL
Registered User
 
H4LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
I agree with those who think its his left shoulder from the video. I tore my labrum pretty bad playing hockey last year and just had surgery this past November. From looking at the video the way he falls on his left arm and then quickly pulls it in and spins to his back leads me to believe its the left shoulder. I lived with a bum shoulder for over a year and that's exactly the kind of movement that would cause the most pain/re-injury. I'm hoping its not serious and the Oiler brass are just playing it safe. My bet is he plays injured this year and has surgery in the offseason.

H4LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
  #53
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,567
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
I've been saying for a week now, he was playing hurt.

I don't know anything about medicine or how to figure out who's good at what in the industry of sports medicine, but I'm seriously wondering if there's a problem with the medical facilities available in Edmonton.

A decade back my mom was up in Dawson Creek and she was taken down to CALGARY for an operation.

We were seriously swarmed by injuries last year, but I was surprised that it wasn't worse last year. Look at us now. Belanger, Hopkins, Lander and Horcoff at center. Eager on the wing. Sutton goodbye.

If these injuries I can certainly feel suspicious about Hopkins' injury because I've suspected that he's been playing injured for a number of games now.

For Horcoff and Belanger, I really don't know, but I'm suspicious.

Sutton, Lander and Eager's injuries have nothing to do with the quality of our medical staff IMO.

So I'm suspicious of three of those six. That's a big number IMO. We either need to change our mentality to protect the future of our players, get a better quality medical staff or having our players treated in another city where the quality of the medical facilities is much better.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  #54
StanDarsh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theoriest, but something seems wrong with how players are treated once they are injured, obviously their rehabilitation process hasn't worked out to great for a lot of players lately..... To bad there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it I will just cross my fingers for nuge. Love the kid . I'd hate for him to be thrown back into the game in a weakened state. Lets get this kids shoulder strength back, sit him all year if that is what it takes.

StanDarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
  #55
mae
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
@dantencer tweets:

"Nugent-Hopkins says the shoulder soreness has been around longer than just the collision in Vancouver game...he says the rest has helped."

and

"Ralph Krueger says the medical staff believes the shoulder pain for Nugent-Hopkins is under control and won't be an ongoing issue."

mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  #56
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDarsh View Post
Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theoriest, but something seems wrong with how players are treated once they are injured, obviously their rehabilitation process hasn't worked out to great for a lot of players lately..... To bad there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it I will just cross my fingers for nuge. Love the kid . I'd hate for him to be thrown back into the game in a weakened state. Lets get this kids shoulder strength back, sit him all year if that is what it takes.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  #57
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
@dantencer tweets:

"Nugent-Hopkins says the shoulder soreness has been around longer than just the collision in Vancouver game...he says the rest has helped."

and

"Ralph Krueger says the medical staff believes the shoulder pain for Nugent-Hopkins is under control and won't be an ongoing issue."
I don't trust those guys.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  #58
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,801
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I've been saying for a week now, he was playing hurt.

I don't know anything about medicine or how to figure out who's good at what in the industry of sports medicine, but I'm seriously wondering if there's a problem with the medical facilities available in Edmonton.

A decade back my mom was up in Dawson Creek and she was taken down to CALGARY for an operation.

We were seriously swarmed by injuries last year, but I was surprised that it wasn't worse last year. Look at us now. Belanger, Hopkins, Lander and Horcoff at center. Eager on the wing. Sutton goodbye.

If these injuries I can certainly feel suspicious about Hopkins' injury because I've suspected that he's been playing injured for a number of games now.

For Horcoff and Belanger, I really don't know, but I'm suspicious.

Sutton, Lander and Eager's injuries have nothing to do with the quality of our medical staff IMO.

So I'm suspicious of three of those six. That's a big number IMO. We either need to change our mentality to protect the future of our players, get a better quality medical staff or having our players treated in another city where the quality of the medical facilities is much better.
I'm sorry to hear that

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
  #59
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I've been saying for a week now, he was playing hurt.

I don't know anything about medicine or how to figure out who's good at what in the industry of sports medicine, but I'm seriously wondering if there's a problem with the medical facilities available in Edmonton.

A decade back my mom was up in Dawson Creek and she was taken down to CALGARY for an operation.

We were seriously swarmed by injuries last year, but I was surprised that it wasn't worse last year. Look at us now. Belanger, Hopkins, Lander and Horcoff at center. Eager on the wing. Sutton goodbye.

If these injuries I can certainly feel suspicious about Hopkins' injury because I've suspected that he's been playing injured for a number of games now.

For Horcoff and Belanger, I really don't know, but I'm suspicious.

Sutton, Lander and Eager's injuries have nothing to do with the quality of our medical staff IMO.

So I'm suspicious of three of those six. That's a big number IMO. We either need to change our mentality to protect the future of our players, get a better quality medical staff or having our players treated in another city where the quality of the medical facilities is much better.
Lol...sorry that the UofA facility and staff don't live up to your expectations. Perhaps you should research what you're ragging on...not only some of the best in Canada, some of the best in the world.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  #60
fuswald
I'd Be Fired
 
fuswald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 458
vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I don't trust those guys.
[medical staff]
is this Sheldon Souray School of Conspiracy?

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  #61
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I've been saying for a week now, he was playing hurt.

I don't know anything about medicine or how to figure out who's good at what in the industry of sports medicine, but I'm seriously wondering if there's a problem with the medical facilities available in Edmonton.

A decade back my mom was up in Dawson Creek and she was taken down to CALGARY for an operation.

We were seriously swarmed by injuries last year, but I was surprised that it wasn't worse last year. Look at us now. Belanger, Hopkins, Lander and Horcoff at center. Eager on the wing. Sutton goodbye.

If these injuries I can certainly feel suspicious about Hopkins' injury because I've suspected that he's been playing injured for a number of games now.

For Horcoff and Belanger, I really don't know, but I'm suspicious.

Sutton, Lander and Eager's injuries have nothing to do with the quality of our medical staff IMO.

So I'm suspicious of three of those six. That's a big number IMO. We either need to change our mentality to protect the future of our players, get a better quality medical staff or having our players treated in another city where the quality of the medical facilities is much better.
I don't think the Oilers are taking their players to the U of A facilities via time machine and going back ten years.

The facilities there are not the issue.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
  #62
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
[medical staff]
is this Sheldon Souray School of Conspiracy?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:15 PM
  #63
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
@dantencer tweets:

"____________ says the shoulder soreness has been around longer than just the collision in ___________ game...he says the rest has helped."

and

"_____________ says the medical staff believes the shoulder pain for ______________ is under control and won't be an ongoing issue."
To make it easier for press releases, they should just have this template prepared.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:27 PM
  #64
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,961
vCash: 500
Sounds like RNH is one big hit away from a season ending injury.

I don't understand why they didn't get him to do surgery this offseason. .

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 AM
  #65
rootbie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Journal: Oilers have Nuge's shoulder "under control"

uhhh...the quotes from nuge in here, it sounds like he was told this weird canned speech--"i just have to make sure i take care of it"--which neither he or any one else can make sense of.

"I just have to take care of it": the Oilers are letting their best prospect take care of his own injured shoulder; "Hey Nuge, your shoulder's hurt?" You better get that taken care of, on your own of course."

The quote about surgery is another highlight: basically Nuge, in response to being asked if surgery is required, is like, "surgery? oh yeah, surgery...uhhh...yeah, i mean, definitely, down the road, who knows?"

Whatever...it sucks, I think he was hurt prior to the World Juniors but he really had his heart set on going (understandably...playing in OKC, you just want to get the H out of there); they let him go, knowing he should probably get surgery right then, but hoping it would hold up (95-98 percent...classic Oilerspeak), and now, he's basically playing minus a left shoulder.

I guess the question is, was his shoulder really recovered...should he have been playing in OKC?

I think taking a risk with this guy is insane; he has the potential to be a true top-flight #1 dominant centre for years to come. Of course, as I said, it sucks he'll miss this year but you have to do what's best for the team and that's what's best for Nuge. If the Oilers ever want to win, Nuge is going to be the foundation.

It's time for him to get surgery so he'll be ready to go for next season.


Last edited by rootbie: 02-08-2013 at 12:32 AM.
rootbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:40 AM
  #66
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,549
vCash: 500
You guys need to calm down. If he needs surgery, it will get done. If it doesn't, he won't.

Believe it or not, when someone has shoulder pain they rarely phone the doctor right away because they can't wait to get on the operating table.

People complained about the Hall issue, yet surgery was routine and he is healthy. If the doctors think it's fine to play and get fixed after the season, then so be it. It's tough to say, but I'm sure thu have a rough idea.

I get the fact this team has been brutal so we all question every decision anyone makes, but we don't have any insider information on this team. We aren't doctors so lets not try to pretend we somehow know better.

The doctors are likely just giving an opinion and leaving it for management to decide anyways.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:56 AM
  #67
JetsOilersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
hes been throwing a lot of hits too.

perfect season IMO to get this shoulder surgery. short season, seth jones
first off - yes, with two centremen out, anyone who believes the line "He could've gone out there" well, I have a bridge to sell you - you must be really gullible.

This boy needs to become a man, he has a man's talent, but not a man's body. He can't take a hit. I agree if surgery is required, DO IT NOW.

Now, I quoted you aswesomo because I think you missed it. We have the same chance of getting Seth Jones as any other team that doesn't make the playoffs. Unless I mis-heard the panel on TSN, they're doing what the NBA is doing. It's a draft lottery where all non playoff teams have a chance to get 1st overall. That won't be the Oilers - I doubt no matter where we finish the NHL will let us get it again. Personally, I'm hoping for the 6'2" center from Ottawa.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:26 AM
  #68
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
The NBA is still a weighted lottery. The worst team has the best chance of winning. I believe the only difference now is that if you "win the lottery" you don't just move up 5 spots, you get #1.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:32 AM
  #69
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Unrelated a bit, but anyone who wants to "tank" for Seth Jones can bugger off. You're the type of fan on this board that makes me (and anyone else who is a true hockey fan) sick.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
  #70
Gord
failed rebuild
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,257
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oilers have been foolishly risking his health, there's no doubt about it. Since it's becoming more and more apparent that this team is still a mess I wouldn't be opposed to him getting surgery and shutting it down for the season.
this is what i'm thinking. the management team and half the fans seem to enjoy this perpetual rebuild and development, so what does it matter if he plays? many of the fans will just praise Tambo and get all Pavlovian about another high draft pick.

Plus the fact the Oilers haven't done so well with players bad shoulders in regards to rehabbing instead of surgery. it doesn't give me faith to have the Oilers medical staff work with him to rest and work through it.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  #71
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,663
vCash: 500
Today theres another quote in the Journal that Nuge is OK, that he doesn't think he needs surgery, and the shoulder is fine.

Well heres the problem. Everything in his play suggests it isn't. Hasn't scored in 20 games, shot is really off, peels away from potential hits and just leaves puck behind(seen this several times this year and uncharacteristic of the player) and was notably hobbled in a recent game.

Recovered this quickly? nah. I would expect this to be an ongoing issue and the faster he gets it seen to perhaps the faster he can get back to being effective and complete player.


Heres the deal when you're young. You're healthy, used to being healthy, and not used to having a lot wrong with you. So when something is wrong a tendency to deny it and not go to doctor as the arm is falling off...
Healthy young people don't tend to think they need medical attention for much of anything and are prone to thinking it just gets better.

Weve seen this recently with Hall. I wonder how much say the Oilers are giving Nuge on this. He's a kid. Look after him. Help him with some decisions. This probably should have been looked after in the offseason, or even last season when there was already deliberation about the shoulder injury. Here we are nearly a full year later and still diddling about with whats being stated as another shoulder injury.


Last edited by Replacement: 02-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
  #72
JetsOilersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Great post replacement - agree 100%. I recently posted on another forum how 'off' RNH is and the fact he's getting worse as the season is progressing - I was 'schooled' otherwise. My only rhetoric - 5 assist - 3 of which (maybe it's four) were 'second' assists.

He's off, way off. Defensively, he's a liablility (RNH supporters - in that I mean those that feel he's 'just fine' point to his +1 rating) on D as illustrated in that Phoenix game, they tied it cause RNH was on the ice and couldn't finish his check in the slot (a real feeble stick swipe is all he did, he may as well have been Ryan Whitney on that play) And he can't win a draw to save his life.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
  #73
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbie View Post
uhhh...the quotes from nuge in here, it sounds like he was told this weird canned speech--"i just have to make sure i take care of it"--which neither he or any one else can make sense of.

"I just have to take care of it": the Oilers are letting their best prospect take care of his own injured shoulder; "Hey Nuge, your shoulder's hurt?" You better get that taken care of, on your own of course."
That's not what that means.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
  #74
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Today theres another quote in the Journal that Nuge is OK, that he doesn't think he needs surgery, and the shoulder is fine.

Well heres the problem. Everything in his play suggests it isn't. Hasn't scored in 20 games, shot is really off, peels away from potential hits and just leaves puck behind(seen this several times this year and uncharacteristic of the player) and was notably hobbled in a recent game.

Recovered this quickly? nah. I would expect this to be an ongoing issue and the faster he gets it seen to perhaps the faster he can get back to being effective and complete player.


Heres the deal when you're young. You're healthy, used to being healthy, and not used to having a lot wrong with you. So when something is wrong a tendency to deny it and not go to doctor as the arm is falling off...
Healthy young people don't tend to think they need medical attention for much of anything and are prone to thinking it just gets better.

Weve seen this recently with Hall. I wonder how much say the Oilers are giving Nuge on this. He's a kid. Look after him. Help him with some decisions. This probably should have been looked after in the offseason, or even last season when there was already deliberation about the shoulder injury. Here we are nearly a full year later and still diddling about with whats being stated as another shoulder injury.
Or maybe it's not the shoulder and he's just struggling? It happens, even to good players.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
  #75
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Or maybe it's not the shoulder and he's just struggling? It happens, even to good players.
Continue to note the amount of times out on the ice Nuge is avoiding physical contact. Which again is uncharacteristic of this player. At times he's tentative out there and consistent with a shoulder injury that is said to be "flaring up at times".

20 games without a goal for an elite player (and goal scorer) is a little beyond struggling when you get top mimutes, topline, top PP unit.

I would almost rather think that his performance is due to injury then a rapid decline in confidence. If its the latter then what do we do?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.