Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas appreciation thread

Old
02-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

vCash: 500
Getting a bit weepy looking at all the pictures and videos.

I hope he knows that Bruins fans really do appreciate him and what he did during his time in Boston no matter how angry they may be.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:20 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post

And then there was this

When he first came up I wasn't sold on him. His style always made me nervous. But the dude had heart bigger than most guys in this game. And that first video and when he went after avery totally swung my opinion. Theres not many goalies who will get 30 saves and 2 minute roughing penalties!!. Good luck Timmy i'll be drinking a beer in your honor tonight whilst i shovel.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
hockeynutz

his politics aside, Timmy was one of the best. His tenacity and ability to battle back when everyone gave up on him will mark him as one of the best Bruins goaltenders. Without him, they don't win the Cup.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
my pleasure. I stood bye him as many of you did. And I'm thrilled to be able to say that Tim Thomas is my favorite goalie of all time.
He was as bruin as you can be, Tough, Didn't give a **** what people thought of him, and worked hard.

He went through hell and put his family through some tough times to follow his dreams. He went out on his own terms and he earned it.

You can't write a story better than his. I'll be the first in line at the TT movie.
Lots of good posts here, but this one really says it all.

TT was everything i expected from a Bruins... all that matters was what he brought to the game ON THE ICE.

Long live the LEGEND.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
JMiller

He's the greatest. People will be telling their grandchildren about getting the chance to see him play. Glad to be one of em.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post

And then there was this

He ain't no Ryan Miller

Old
02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
flannelman
lost in the shuffle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
He ain't no Ryan Miller
so basically you're saying TT has a spine and testicles, eh?

I wish Tim the best. I enjoyed him as a Bruin and thank him for something that I might never see again (all though, I'm spoiled now and think that every year should be possible )

but from my tiny little heart, Thank you Tim.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Thanks for everything Timmy.

Will always remember your Double OT save Game 5 vs. the Habs - made the trip from Halifax to watch that game.

TMac21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
One of my favorite moments. Bad video/terrible awards ceremony music, but what a moment.

Thomas is a great guy, I'll never understand the hate he gets for his political views. Always been a class act person and player and I loved rooting for him on your guys Stanley Cup run.

I still can't believe he is technically ours right now Even though I know he'll probably never want to play for us, it's still pretty surreal lol

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
hoss75

Tim Thomas isn't just a great goal tender. The guy is a human highlight reel. The 2 Vezina's, Conn Smythe, and Cup don't even reflect some of what this guy did. He was a journeyman goalie from Europe brought to fill the number 2 spot on the cheap and decided to just dominate the NHL. Carried the team through more than a couple rough patches, and was a big part of making the B's one of the contenders as opposed to competing for a number 8 spot.
Heck, he was a huge part of making hockey significant again in Boston. When he started here, B's followers were third class citizens in the sports realm? "Why would you follow them, they stink!!" is what I was told by numerous Sox and Pats fans, seemingly unaware that current stretch of success didn't reflect the history of either of those franchises. I used to seek out the other fans in a corner of a bar where the bartender forgot to turn one of the TV's to NBA. And we'd sit there like the lepers we were watching the turn around.
It's too bad we live in a world where a goalie acting just a tad odd gets treated like Judas, but other athletes can run around with unlicensed fire arms, politicians watch people die, and the people responsible for televising the worst the human race has to offer have NYT best selling biographies and all of that's ok.
People toss around arguments about what being a true fan on these boards (both ours and other teams') and for the most part it's pretty lame. However, I think that true Bruins fans, no matter their background, can't help but have some sort of fondness for TT because the state of the organization today would be very different without him.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Greatest Of All Time

I'll appreciate him if he plays for the Islanders and lets Boston have that nice parting gift of a high 2nd round pick.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
An all-time great, now doubt!
Truth.

Don't know if this was posted yet. Sorry if it was, thought this was pretty cool what he did. And to think this was his last time in a Bruins jersey....

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
My favorite hockey player ever.

He goes into my HOF along with Pedro Martinez and Drew Bledsoe.

02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Wait, that looks like a Sabre running our goalie, and he is even
in the crease.

Tim's style had the BP high, but he never gave up on a save and
gave 100% effort.

Best wishes.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Tim Thomas isn't just a great goal tender. The guy is a human highlight reel. The 2 Vezina's, Conn Smythe, and Cup don't even reflect some of what this guy did. He was a journeyman goalie from Europe brought to fill the number 2 spot on the cheap and decided to just dominate the NHL. Carried the team through more than a couple rough patches, and was a big part of making the B's one of the contenders as opposed to competing for a number 8 spot.
Heck, he was a huge part of making hockey significant again in Boston. When he started here, B's followers were third class citizens in the sports realm? "Why would you follow them, they stink!!" is what I was told by numerous Sox and Pats fans, seemingly unaware that current stretch of success didn't reflect the history of either of those franchises. I used to seek out the other fans in a corner of a bar where the bartender forgot to turn one of the TV's to NBA. And we'd sit there like the lepers we were watching the turn around.
It's too bad we live in a world where a goalie acting just a tad odd gets treated like Judas, but other athletes can run around with unlicensed fire arms, politicians watch people die, and the people responsible for televising the worst the human race has to offer have NYT best selling biographies and all of that's ok.
People toss around arguments about what being a true fan on these boards (both ours and other teams') and for the most part it's pretty lame. However, I think that true Bruins fans, no matter their background, can't help but have some sort of fondness for TT because the state of the organization today would be very different without him.
This all over x1000.. I remember going to bars/shows and asking them to put on a bruins game and it was "uhh ok.. we'll put you on this tv" and it was the 13 inch tv from 1997 that people forgot about. Nevermind the people looking at me like i had 3 heads.

Also it really is a bummer that some people see him as a judas around here. Just had a debate with a fellow co-worker about him and his stance on things. It still resonates. Hopefully in 5-10 years (or sooner) people can get past certain aspects of his career and be proud to say you cheered him on... end of inspirational rant haha.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
sooshii
SISU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
Wait, that looks like a Sabre running our goalie, and he is even
in the crease.

Tim's style had the BP high, but he never gave up on a save and
gave 100% effort.

Best wishes.
yeah, remember that time Timmy whined about it? no, you don't.

TCB

sooshii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Truth.

Don't know if this was posted yet. Sorry if it was, thought this was pretty cool what he did. And to think this was his last time in a Bruins jersey....

Really is just perfect.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Sigh
Because Pasta

vCash: 50
Awesome thread. So many great memories. Thanks Timmy.

Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Hamilton Brian

I love the guy as a goaltender!!!! I disagree with his politics, but I don't watch hockey for its political content. TT is a competitor and he made our run possible.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I always loved and appreciated Timmy. Good Night Sweet Prince

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
BergyDGD
Whatever forever.

So glad he is finally gone. Now we can close the book on his chapter in Bruins history and not focus on his cap ramifications for not playing, his politics, etc. It finally gives some closure. No one took a longer road to get to the top than Thomas did then lost his starting job to Tuukka only to once again bounce back to lead the Bruins to the Promised Land. He was a fierce competitor and was probably greatest goalie in Bruins history (and I say that as in a short term window of dominance, ala Pedro Martinez in the late 90s to early 00s not longevity wise). He posted two shutouts in decisive game 7s in the ECF and SC, and also won another decisive game 7 vs the Habs. Thanks for the memories Timmy, forever a part of Bruins history. He came to Boston in a strange way as a journeyman goalie and leaves as a legend in a strange way but the time in between when he was manning the pipes for Bruins was nothing short of unforgettable.

Last edited by BergyDGD: 02-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.
BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

The save on Downie is the most incredible save I think I have ever seen.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Thank you Tim. For your heart, determination, competitiveness and perseverence.

A true Bruin in every sense of the word.

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
MarchandMadness 63*

Tim Thomas appreciation thread

Tim Thomas,the greatest goalie I have ever had the pleasure of seeing in a Boston Bruins uniform, and I look forward to seeing his return to the TD Garden next year and I for one will be cheering for him when his name is announced as the starting goalie for whatever team he plays for. Thanks for ending years and years of frustration for Bruins fans everywhere Tim!!!

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Thanks for the cup Timmy. the most fun goaltender I have ever gotten to see, not just his scrambling saves, but also they way he wasn't gonna take anything from the opposition and took matters in his own hands. He is an idol for every young athlete out there. Never gave up inspite of so many backlashes, and finally got rewarded.

I didn't agree with some of his actions in his last few months as a bruin, and I admit I laugh when jokes are made about it, but that's not what it is about. His less than perfect departure will soon be forgotten, while he and his Conn Smythe will be forever remembered as the things that got the Cup back to Boston after 39 years.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote