HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  #1
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Subban's play since coming back

He's been really good for the team. I only have two complaints so far:

1. The dangles when entering the offensive zone. He should play with the puck less, especially when there's no one covering him. I noticed the puck slipped from his stick a couple of times when he tried it. Still, nothing costly.

2. Inaccurate slapshot. Sure, it's gotta be one of the heaviest around but it always goes wide. I'd rather see him with a weaker shot that hits the net. That way a player could get inside for a quick rebound. Kinda like Markov does.

Aside from that, nothing to add. He's been tremendous in my opinion. Excellent in his own zone. Probably our best or at least 2nd best PK'er. Now when on the PP, he doesn't try to carry the offense by himself, makes the smart play and passes to a teammate who isn't being covered by an opposing player. Also noticed he caught a lot of clearing attempts on the PP and kept the puck in the offensive zone. He cut down the stupid penalties for now and it seems he dropped the yapping a notch.

Very satisfied with his play so far.

Montreal Shadow is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  #2
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
He's been really good for the team. I only have two complaints so far:

1. The dangles when entering the offensive zone. He should play with the puck less, especially when there's no one covering him. I noticed the puck slipped from his stick a couple of times when he tried it. Still, nothing costly.

2. Inaccurate slapshot. Sure, it's gotta be one of the heaviest around but it always goes wide. I'd rather see him with a weaker shot that hits the net. That way a player could get inside for a quick rebound. Kinda like Markov does.

Aside from that, nothing to add. He's been tremendous in my opinion. Excellent in his own zone. Probably our best or at least 2nd best PK'er. Now when on the PP, he doesn't try to carry the offense by himself, makes the smart play and passes to a teammate who isn't being covered by an opposing player. Also noticed he caught a lot of clearing attempts on the PP and kept the puck in the offensive zone. He cut down the stupid penalties for now and it seems he dropped the yapping a notch.

Very satisfied with his play so far.
good news is, you can clearly see him on PP trying hard not to wind up too much, will take time to get rid of this bad habit but at least he's trying.

You can also see him try to be more patient when playing with Markov on PP, good news again as he's trying to adjust to his partner, wich I think is a form of respect he seems to have for #79.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
  #3
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,846
vCash: 500
I like it...also looks like he's trying to be a good teamate.3pts in 3 game, offensivly doing good.

otto bond is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
  #4
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,748
vCash: 500
He is the complete package, great vision, great skater, heavy shot. Imagine P.K. In 5 years he will be a dominant player.

habdynasty is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
  #5
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
He is hungry, he is motivated, and most of all he has been adaptable to the new system and new team mindset. You can't ask for much more from any player than that

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
  #6
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Nobody's perfect. He's come back well given the long layoff and lack of training camp. Unlike a lot of others, I don't necessarily think missing the net is a sin, not when you're going for the hard to stop areas of the net.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  #7
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
I thought he was good for his first couple games, but the last couple games he's made some excellent plays. I thought he was our best dman last night.

I'm very excited to see Markov and Subban together on the PP. I really hope we get to see Galchenyuk as a fixture on that right wing with Markov and Subban on the points next season.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  #8
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
So far, so good...he will only get better as the games go on...glad to have him and Markov in the lineup at the same time!!

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #9
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
Playing like baws despite the bs going around bout him.

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #10
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Well at least 3 of his shots from the past 4 games found their way to the net & resulted in goals. So I'd say his accuracy is improving.

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
  #11
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,059
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Probably our best or at least 2nd best PK'er
And yet he played a mere 56 seconds on it yesterday.

Why this coaching staff seemingly does not trust Subban in high leverage defensive situations right now, I'll never know.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  #12
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
And yet he played a mere 56 seconds on it yesterday.

Why this coaching staff seemingly does not trust Subban in high leverage defensive situations right now, I'll never know.
Too lazy...undisciplined...unwilling to play a team game...locker-room cancer? Would you like me to go on? I've got sources to back me up...

lol

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
  #13
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,708
vCash: 2615
I find the main problem when he rushes is that his teammates don't really know how to react and support him so it kind of just becomes 1 vs 5 with them standing around watching, where they lose their speed in the nuetral zone and can't follow to the net or corner, or don't know where to be for a give-and-go. . Markov can rush also to gain the zone but is better at using speeds and maneuvers to create simple plays to use teammates once he crosses blue line. I think PK will improve this aspect on his end with experience but I also think the coaches should work out 2-3 set plays so everyone is on the same page on how to react when PK goes on a rush so it can be a more consistent offensive tool.

Burke the Legend is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
  #14
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Too lazy...undisciplined...unwilling to play a team game...locker-room cancer? Would you like me to go on? I've got sources to back me up...

lol
Don't forget his total disdain for towels. Complete jerk.

lolderpderpderp

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
  #15
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,957
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Too lazy...undisciplined...unwilling to play a team game...locker-room cancer? Would you like me to go on? I've got sources to back me up...

lol
Is that you PJ? We like PK better anyways!

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
  #16
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
I know Therrien wants to protect Subban and give him favorable minutes but he needs to realize and quick that he is our best overall dman out there in front of Markov yes. Him and Gorges should get 1st pairing pk and they should have been on the ice for the last minute yesterday.

Subban is playing terrific in his own zone just like last year and he makes a lot of plays.

Safe to say since he is back he's the best dman on the team.

I like Markov but at the end of the day he is injury prone and 35 it's him who should be more protected than Subban. You can throw Subban in the arena and let him handle himself he's been doing that since he is in the nhl and he's been doing a pretty good job.

The pairs should be
Subban Gorges 1st pair
Markov Emelin 2nd pair
Bouillon Diaz

Dharvey33 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
  #17
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,989
vCash: 500
He's doing good. He needs to play more like Markov tho and pass it more instead of keeping the puck for too long. Rushing trough center ice with the puck is impressive but ultimately useless most of the time. Its also time wasting on the PP.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
  #18
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
And yet he played a mere 56 seconds on it yesterday.

Why this coaching staff seemingly does not trust Subban in high leverage defensive situations right now, I'll never know.
I don't understand how Diaz has suddenly become a shutdown D on the top PK pairing. Don't get it.
PK is a better PK player than even Gorges imo. But in any event, he's at the very least top 2 on our team.

PK is currently 6th among our Ds for avg ice time per ice. I really don't understand this.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
  #19
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He's doing good. He needs to play more like Markov tho and pass it more instead of keeping the puck for too long. Rushing trough center ice with the puck is impressive but ultimately useless most of the time. Its also time wasting on the PP.
No he doesn't. Markov and PK are too different styles. PK rushing the puck is great, and it isn't useless.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
  #20
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
with Price, easly our best players on the ice.
Considering he didn't have a training camp, and didn't play a game since last season, nor really practiced with others, he's doing a+

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
  #21
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't understand how Diaz has suddenly become a shutdown D on the top PK pairing. Don't get it.
PK is a better PK player than even Gorges imo. But in any event, he's at the very least top 2 on our team.

PK is currently 6th among our Ds for avg ice time per ice. I really don't understand this.
Very puzzling...

417 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
  #22
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
There's only one problem I have with Subban's play. He doesn't move his feet enough on the powerplay. It's not rare to see him receive a pass, remain completely stationnary, wind for the big slapshot and abandon once he realises that it won't work.

Regardless, he has been able to put up the points on the PP so no real complaints.

x-bob is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
  #23
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't understand how Diaz has suddenly become a shutdown D on the top PK pairing. Don't get it.
PK is a better PK player than even Gorges imo. But in any event, he's at the very least top 2 on our team.

PK is currently 6th among our Ds for avg ice time per ice. I really don't understand this.
My guess is that MT is slowly integrating PK into the system. Obviously he never really needed to be integrated, but he'll end up eating most toi/g in no time.

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
  #24
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I know Therrien wants to protect Subban and give him favorable minutes but he needs to realize and quick that he is our best overall dman out there in front of Markov yes. Him and Gorges should get 1st pairing pk and they should have been on the ice for the last minute yesterday.

Subban is playing terrific in his own zone just like last year and he makes a lot of plays.

Safe to say since he is back he's the best dman on the team.

I like Markov but at the end of the day he is injury prone and 35 it's him who should be more protected than Subban. You can throw Subban in the arena and let him handle himself he's been doing that since he is in the nhl and he's been doing a pretty good job.

The pairs should be
Subban Gorges 1st pair
Markov Emelin 2nd pair
Bouillon Diaz

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  #25
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Markov has been average since Pk has been back he made so mistakes PK plays with more intensity and he's at the very worst our 2nd best dman in the team.

Diaz Gorges emelin have been playing good but Subban is better than them no question

Dharvey33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.