HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Dream Big

vCash: 500
Look at the positive. We don't want to win a cup in an * year anyway. This is a good year to get a high draft pick.

Waiting so long for hockey to start put a damper on the season for me so this is just a continuation.

I like the ideas that Oates has so don't want to chase him off just yet. It's a good year to experiment and think outside the box. OV on the right side and maybe some other creative combinations. Look at Green and Alzner. Who would ever have thought the Carlson/Alzner duo would ever play on separate lines. Maybe other people on the power play. There's nothing to lose as it can't get any worse. This is actually freeing.

I'm just going to enjoy watching the players, not expect the impossible and chillax.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Look at the positive. We don't want to win a cup in an * year anyway. This is a good year to get a high draft pick.

Waiting so long for hockey to start put a damper on the season for me so this is just a continuation.

I like the ideas that Oates has so don't want to chase him off just yet.

I'm just going to enjoy watching the players, not expect the impossible and chillax.

Agreed. It's no problem to suck this year. But the problem is how to not suck again next year and the next year and so on.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Capitlols

Anyone going to the next home game, please take a "Fire GMGM" sign.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
It will be confiscated and Ted might choke you.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post

I like the ideas that Oates has so don't want to chase him off just yet. It's a good year to experiment and think outside the box. OV on the right side and maybe some other creative combinations. Look at Green and Alzner. Who would ever have thought the Carlson/Alzner duo would ever play on separate lines. Maybe other people on the power play. There's nothing to lose as it can't get any worse. This is actually freeing.

I was surprised we had a season tbh. The good thing is, we don't have to go through a normal season to experience this mess. I know this is a deep draft, but I'm not one for pinning my hopes on a prospect or high draft pick. As far as the picks go, I don't want GMGM picking a defenseman with a high pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I don't know that Ovechkin may be the easiest athlete to coach. I mean how would he take a guy like Torts?
Probably better than Gaborik?

When Ovechkin has something to play for he dominates.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:37 AM
fsnoles98

Ted and GMGM need more blame then they are getting

Both of these men make the decisions for the team. They are responsible for the cupboard being bare in Hershey, draft picks not living up to potential, not being able to get pics oversees, giving grinders with a good playoff run exaggerated contracts, having a dreadful D in place during our prime years with Ovi (yes I think their over), and for fleecing the fans by banking the money and putting a mediocre team on ice. They never really went out and got "that player" when it was need (yes Arnott and Sergi were nice, just a bit old at the time of acquisition).

It's not Oates, it starts with Ted and GMGM. Give Oates the correct players to play the system. If they can't learn it, its time for them to go. If your goalies can't stop up a puck, bring Phillip up or get one that can.

These guys are living off of past expectations, they shouldn't be allowed to.

A change needs done starting at the top.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
msrulo

I agree. The problem is that Ted thinks McPhee is some sort of deity. 15 years it's been and running with the worst GM in nhl history.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
bgroban

I would throw Dick Patrick in the pot as well. I view them as a three-headed monster.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
fsnoles98

Sarcasm, if so, when is the last time we went to the SC? Didn't we have all these draft picks, young guns, up and comers with Ted and GMGM? Or should we be satisfied with runner up status?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:55 AM
g00n
abides

Ted has never fired a GM. There are always excuses. And as long as enough tickets are sold, GMGM's job is safe.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:59 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Ted has never fired a GM. There are always excuses. And as long as enough tickets are sold, GMGM's job is safe.
Lol, that seems to right.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
SlappaDaBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Anyone going to the next home game, please take a "Fire GMGM" sign.
I am going this Sat and I do have good seats... but I also might sell the tix for a Februany $5 footlong though.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

How are they not getting the blame they deserve? Have you read any of the other threads?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

How can they deserve more blame than all of it? Because all of it is directed at them.

If anyone deserves more blame than they're getting, it's Ovechkin.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
txpd

they are getting plenty of blame. just not enough maybe for the op. if mcphee were getting enough blame, he would have been fired by now. i bet thats the point. if leonsis were getting enough blame....what? the building would be empty?

the important thing to know is where mcphee really is in the mix. he has control over what he has control of. what that is we cant know.
lets say for the sake of argument that mcphee wanted to trade mike green or alex ovechkin in the last couple of seasons. lets say. there is no chance that happens without ted signing off on it. if ted says no....do you fire mcphee? anyone think ted would nix the idea of trading young guns?

if you want to blame mcphee for hiring oates, i am with you. if you want to blame him for not hiring an established nhl coach, then i am sceptical. there is at least some evidence that leonsis doesnt want to spend the money on a pricey cup winning coach.

maybe this is why mcphee has lasted so long.

edit: if you like, you can blame kuznetsov on leonsis as well. my read has been that kuznetsov signed a two year khl deal because everyone knew along lockout was coming. that meant that only another half season til the olympics for the russian kid. he is considered the best or second best prospect not currently in the nhl. picking that player at 20 something in the draft cant have been a bad play.

edit II: the biggest fail that i blame mcphee for is having a rookie goalie as the playoff goalie 4 years in a row. i understand it but a real goalie there might have made a difference.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Stewie G

Are there any numbers out there for coach's salaries? How much more does an experienced coach cost vs. a first-timer? Would it really be enough to be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Are there any numbers out there for coach's salaries? How much more does an experienced coach cost vs. a first-timer? Would it really be enough to be the straw that breaks the camel's back?
5 to 10 times. ken hitchcock is a 7 figure coach. adam oates is a low to mid 5 figure coach. many teams have well established assistant coaches that make more money than rookie head coaches.

do you honestly think that john tortorella gets paid anything like kirk muller or whoever is coaching the islanders now?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
5 to 10 times. ken hitchcock is a 7 figure coach. adam oates is a low to mid 5 figure coach. many teams have well established assistant coaches that make more money than rookie head coaches.
Oates is making $60,000ish?

Granted I know nothing of this ****, it can't be serious.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Oates is making $60,000ish?

Granted I know nothing of this ****, it can't be serious.
i'd guess that oates is making $200k. i am guessing larry robinson makes $200k as an assistant. I bet torts makes $3 or 4m. by now bylsma and boudreau are well into the 6 figures.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i'd guess that oates is making $200k. i am guessing larry robinson makes $200k as an assistant. I bet torts makes $3 or 4m. by now bylsma and boudreau are well into the 6 figures.
$200,000 would be six figures, not 5.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
SlappaDaBass

I'm thinking the same. There's no way he is making anything under 6 figures. No way.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Are we suggesting the lack of management from up top stems from ted being cheap on his presonal choices?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
$200,000 would be six figures, not 5.
yea...meant 6 and the other two at 7...oops

Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Are we suggesting the lack of management from up top stems from ted being cheap on his presonal choices?
That seems to be the indication. And I don't buy it.

If Ted's willing to pay Hamrlik to sit in the bleachers, a coach's salary won't impact anything at all. I'd venture a guess that no coach in the NHL makes as much as Hamrlik.

Closed Thread