The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
mesamonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
In regards to coaching hires he does seem to struggle, but that is at most half of his job.

He's also brought us from bare cupboard to #1 ranked prospect stable. Those prospects still have to pan out but we are in a far-away better position than we were under DR.
So if you have the players and the farm system of strength, not to mention a monster investment on the line, why not bring in one of the best coaches in the league to make it all work? The cost for Tippett? Try $2.5MM per year, that is peanuts relative to what is at stake, no brainer in my mind!

Old
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
So if you have the players and the farm system of strength, not to mention a monster investment on the line, why not bring in one of the best coaches in the league to make it all work? The cost for Tippett? Try $2.5MM per year, that is peanuts relative to what is at stake, no brainer in my mind!

Tippett is the coach of another team...

Old
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Really? Wes Walz has never coached at any level of the game outside of his kid's midget team. Come on. I love Wes Walz, but he's not a coach. I'd love to have him as the player liaison instead of Darby though.

Exactly. Coyle was one of the best players and had some great looks including a post. He has looked much better than Granlund.

I wouldn't mind seeing that "fourth line" again.

TSK, voice of reason!

Parise's leading the team in scoring and Suter is second among defensemen. Those two are doing just fine offensively. It's the forwards not named Parise and Koivu that are not doing their jobs.

Dave Tippett is under contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.
Tippett is in the final year of his contract with a team that is likely to be relocating to a city that will not be to his liking. In essence, he will be a free agent coach at the end of this year, his services will be in great demand, yet there are only a handful of cities he would be willing to relocate to, STP is one of them. Let Yeo finish the season, then lock up Tippett and Maloney.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
Walz was an assistant in Tampa for a year and a half. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot here as an assistant but no thanks as the head coach.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Tippett is the coach of another team...
Keep Yeo on through seasons end then get FA Tippett, PHX is leaving and tip is in his final year and has not been offered new terms!

Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last three games:

Wild: 0-3, 3 goals for, 9 goals against
XXX: 0-3, 5 goals for, 16 goals against

Who's the mystery team that's given up nearly twice as many goals as the Wild in that span?

-----

I will say, Yeo's gotten himself one loss closer. Russo talks about the next four games being crucial...if he loses 3 of 4, that seat cannot get any hotter. If the team continues to get shots, draw power plays, or keep the puck out of the net...that seat continues to get hotter.

I'll say, if Yeo drops say 6 of the next 8 or 7 of the next 10, sure at that point I'd say his record isn't up to snuff.

But then who do you bring in? A failed rookie head coach from another team, like Scott Arniel or Davis Payne? An irrelevant older coach like Terry Murray or Marc Crawford?

There's just no proven head coach out there. If a Hitchcock, Tippett, or Lemaire was there, I'd be very interested to see what they could do.

This team really needs to clean up and start with the fundamentals: AVOID TURNOVERS, win puck races, AVOID TURNOVERS, cover your man in the D zone, AVOID TURNOVERS, get pucks on net, and AVOID TURNOVERS.

I mean, those are simple things that don't require 50 years of experience to teach. It's a combination of laziness, poor choices, and poor execution on the players. Is the coach trying to implement something over the heads of the players? If not, maybe we need a coach who's not afraid to staple someone to the bench or tell them to hit the showers mid-game.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Granlund is going to be a great player, no panic. He just needs his time and it may take this season or two.
Now about the Wild, i'm against firing Yeo right now, it just going to make it worse for the players to adapt even if a better coach come. After the season if we end again mediocre probably yes.

I believe that is a black cloud or something in the general team attitude, and i guess it is here since 2008, i have the impression that no matter how much talent we add it wont change it, the feeling that i have is that the players always know they are playing against a better team and every game they need to prove it wrong and do a miracle, it's like they are teaching a culture of darkhorses team and not a dominant one. Maybe it's the obvious answer the coaches or maybe not, but whatever, it needs to strike everyone, we keep using bandaids and dont try to cure the disease.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Keep Yeo on through seasons end then get FA Tippett, PHX is leaving and tip is in his final year and has not been offered new terms!
Okay, you've brought it up five times now. No need to keep saying it. If Tippett's here at year end, I'd love to have him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Granlund 64

Mystery team is the Blues.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Last three games:

Wild: 0-3, 3 goals for, 9 goals against
XXX: 0-3, 5 goals for, 16 goals against

Who's the mystery team that's given up nearly twice as many goals as the Wild in that span?
St. Louis

Old
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
mesamonster

Now, lets talk about the next level up! Fletcher has as much culpability as Yeo, he also needs to find another job. Sure the farm system is stronger, but his trades have been atrocious!

Old
02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Now, lets talk about the next level up! Fletcher has as much culpability as Yeo, he also needs to find another job. Sure the farm system is stronger, but his trades have been atrocious!
I gave him leeway for the first couple years, due to Dougie leaving such a mess, but these next few years are very key for Fletcher. He needs to start showing some results.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fletcher does not need to go.

In order to get ahead and succeed you need to take risks. Fletcher takes smart calculated risks, BUT he is not afraid to admit to a mistake when they occure. AND they will occure. Hindsight is always 20/20, and just about every situation he has gone into was well thought out with good potential.

And it is bs that all his trades have been atrocious. I'm not going to go over every one, enough people have already done that, but it is very ignorant and unreasonable to make that claim at all.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
I'm sure The Great One is available.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Fletcher does not need to go.

In order to get ahead and succeed you need to take risks. Fletcher takes smart calculated risks, BUT he is not afraid to admit to a mistake when they occure. AND they will occure. Hindsight is always 20/20, and just about every situation he has gone into was well thought out with good potential.

And it is bs that all his trades have been atrocious. I'm not going to go over every one, enough people have already done that, but it is very ignorant and unreasonable to make that claim at all.
No need to go over all of them just give me one that has worked?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Pouliot for Latendresse worked until Lats got hurt, calculated risk

Until this year the Brodziak trade looked great - Brodziak and Hackett for picks 99 and 133.

Just two quick ones off the top of my head.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Gilbert.

The Heatley trade has also benefited both teams - don't forget how bad Havlat was not working out here.

Brodziak. And yes he will figure his **** out. Brodziak throughout his career has always worked hard. That did not go away because of one extended vacation.

Gui, until he was hurt. That's not Fletcher's fault.

I could defend most of Fletcher's moves and signings actually. I might be a little biased towards him, but that's because most of what he has done makes sense to me, even the ones that have not worked out. At the time certain moves did seem to be a good decision, and he is trying to make things happen as best as possible.

As arm chair gms we get to just sit back and judge, but the reality of it is much more challenging.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Take out Fletcher's big signings and trades, and we could easily look like this the last couple years:

Granlund - Koivu - Miettinen
Bouchard - Cullen - Pouliot
Brodziak - Sheppard - Gillies

Burns - Schultz
Zidlicky - Zanon
Stoner - Scandella

Also, no Coyle, no Hackett, no Lucia...

Old
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
BigT2002

Has anyone taken a step back and thought that Granlund was put in the presser for the game, not to send a message that his play is below expectations....but so he could watch from the vantage point how the Presidents Trophy winner of last year, and our main "rival" in the division plays their system to better understand it??

We got crushed along the boards by Vancouver last night. Forecheck was incredible to watch.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm going to guess that Yeo MIGHT have given him something to look for up there. Probably didn't just scratch him and say "just watch the game...try to pick something up."

Old
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
grN1g

how can anyone try to come at fletchers career here and justify it? EVERYTHING he has done since he got here landed us Parise & Suter + one of the BEST prospect pools in the league.

I understand ppl's frustration with decisions like hiring Yeo, but stuff like that and the barker trade mean absolutly nothing to me because if we never did those things, would we still have landed the two biggest free agents last year? would we stilll have a top3 prospect pool?

think about it.. all sane wild fans knew this could be a problem, just because we pick up 2 incredible players, doesn't mean for instant success. IMO, this season is a wash... i think most rational fans would agree with me when i say that i believe in the next 1-3 years is when we should be making playoffs every year.

quick edit: Besides, if there was ever a year to incredibly suck and get a top 1-10 pick... its this one. Not that i would agree with this, but think about it.. wild management could easly drop little things in iviews talking about the shortened season and the long lock out being major factors in a terrible season, common fans would prob agree, and we wouldn't lose any fan base lol.

Last edited by grN1g: 02-08-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
SphinX
Bryzniiestiime!

If Yeo looses the next 6-7 out of 10 i would mind seeing a guy like Walz try for the rest of the season as a caretaker.. Another guy we could try would be Jukka Jalonen or maybe George Kingston... And this is also as caretakers...

Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We already have a young, intense former grinder coaching the team. If anything, we want an X's and O's guy with experience.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
People need to take a look around the league plenty of struggling teams with experienced coaches.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tampa Bay lost 3 in a row
St Louis lost 3 in a row
Washington lost 3 in a row (only 2 wins on the season!)
San Jose dropped a pair

Closed Thread