HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist

Old
02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
I don't think he's been as bad as people are making it. The team infront of him deserves 98% of the abuse.

So here people are talking up the 2% that has been 'off'. It seems to me its like trying to deflect some of the blame the team should totally be taking.

Seriously, are things that boring?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think he's been as bad as people are making it. The team infront of him deserves 98% of the abuse.

So here people are talking up the 2% that has been 'off'. It seems to me its like trying to deflect some of the blame the team should totally be taking.

When Hank is mortal everybody jumps on him, last night he was more like the real Hank

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Agreed. Most of the goals he's let up were basically unstoppable. Yeah, there were a couple on him (Malkin bad angle), but for the most part he's been left hanging by the D.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Agreed. Most of the goals he's let up were basically unstoppable. Yeah, there were a couple on him (Malkin bad angle), but for the most part he's been left hanging by the D.
What separates the great goalies (like Hank) from the rest is how often they make impossible saves when they've been hung out to dry by their defense. This is what makes Hank spectacular.

Hank needs to get back to spectacular, and I'm very confident he will. Last night was a nice step in the right direction.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
What separates the great goalies (like Hank) from the rest is how often they make impossible saves when they've been hung out to dry by their defense. This is what makes Hank spectacular.

Hank needs to get back to spectacular, and I'm very confident he will. Last night was a nice step in the right direction.
I would argue that Hank has still been making spectacular saves...but they have been overlooked in many instances because they were saves that kept the team down by a goal or two...and were in losing efforts. As the team starts playing better, his play will get more attention.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I would argue that Hank has still been making spectacular saves...but they have been overlooked in many instances because they were saves that kept the team down by a goal or two...and were in losing efforts. As the team starts playing better, his play will get more attention.
Overlooked, good call.

I have no idea what sport people are watching when they say 'the team sucks infront of him, but the goalie should be stealing wins'. Cause afterall, goalies can just do that, its one of their magic powers !

Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Overlooked, good call.

I have no idea what sport people are watching when they say 'the team sucks infront of him, but the goalie should be stealing wins'. Cause afterall, goalies can just do that, its one of their magic powers !
Hank DOES have magical powers! He stole a number of games last year!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

If he's such a world class goalie, is it so hard to ask for a shutty?

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Hank DOES have magical powers! He stole a number of games last year!
Absolutely

Old
02-18-2013, 10:04 AM
SnowblindNYR

Best Lundqvist performance in a loss

I feel like this game gets overshadowed by the last 7.7 seconds, BUT the game he played in game 5 against Buffalo was out of this world. At the time I thought that was the best game of his career. If he won that game I'd say that it was still the best of his career. The Afinogenov goal wasn't great, I thought. However, when taking the amount of shots he faced and more importantly the quality that was one of the best performances I've seen from any goalie ever. At least for 59 minutes and 52.3 seconds.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:39 AM
SnowblindNYR

Didn't even realize there was a Lundqvist thread already, oops.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

The competition for the Vezina is thinner imo. Rinne is always great but he's yet to win a Vezina (I think). Anderson is not going to keep it up for long. With Karlsson and Spezza out, his wins are going to go down and his save percentage is going to suffer with the additional defensive zone time. Most of all, he's really not that great and is very inconsistent. As a casual Avs fan, I've seen enough to know. Among the other candidates, Henrik can out perform all of them. bad 1st quarter of the season and the other 3 quarters remain for him to defend his trophy. He's been decent for a few games now stringing together 4 wins and hopefully the team will start to dominant and play well defensively. I am one for never giving up hopes on his 30 win streak and Vezina.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Didn't even realize there was a Lundqvist thread already, oops.
The search button is a useful tool.

02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The competition for the Vezina is thinner imo. Rinne is always great but he's yet to win a Vezina (I think). Anderson is not going to keep it up for long. With Karlsson and Spezza out, his wins are going to go down and his save percentage is going to suffer with the additional defensive zone time. Most of all, he's really not that great and is very inconsistent. As a casual Avs fan, I've seen enough to know. Among the other candidates, Henrik can out perform all of them. bad 1st quarter of the season and the other 3 quarters remain for him to defend his trophy. He's been decent for a few games now stringing together 4 wins and hopefully the team will start to dominant and play well defensively. I am one for never giving up hopes on his 30 win streak and Vezina.
Does winning another Vezina really matter that much? Hank is the least of our problems although I do believe that the organization needs to start thinking about drafting then developing another goalie in the next 3-5 years.

Pekka Rinne is a great goalie also who plays in a much more defensive oriented system in Nashville because of their lack of offense.

Hank will be fine; he's just never going to be a world beater when it comes to handling the puck.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Does winning another Vezina really matter that much? Hank is the least of our problems although I do believe that the organization needs to start thinking about drafting then developing another goalie in the next 3-5 years.

Pekka Rinne is a great goalie also who plays in a much more defensive oriented system in Nashville because of their lack of offense.

Hank will be fine; he's just never going to be a world beater when it comes to handling the puck.
Honestly, IMO puck handling is the most overrated skill for a goaltender. What are there 2 that are above average at it? I can think of Brodeur and Mike Smith. I can think of 2 goals that Lundqvist gave up because his mishandled the puck and one of those was when he tried to play Superman against the Flyers and score an empty netter up 3-1.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post

yes, it matters. instead of 3-5 I think we're safe going with 5-6.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
yes, it matters. instead of 3-5 I think we're safe going with 5-6.
I'm sure the Rangers will start looking to develop another goalie within the next 2 or 3 years. If they use a 2nd round pick on a goalie two years from now and the kid takes 4 years to get to the point where he's ready to be our backup, Hank will already be 36.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Honestly, IMO puck handling is the most overrated skill for a goaltender. What are there 2 that are above average at it? I can think of Brodeur and Mike Smith. I can think of 2 goals that Lundqvist gave up because his mishandled the puck and one of those was when he tried to play Superman against the Flyers and score an empty netter up 3-1.
Price is really good. Turco, too. DiPietro if he can actually play.

Puckhandling for goaltenders, IMO, is only noteworthy if a guy is exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. Henke used to be really bad. He's now passable, which is all you really need.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Would it be fair to equate a Goalies puckhandling to a QB's scrambling ability to some degree?

If they're good at it: Great. You've added another dimension onto your offense.
If not: Fine. You just resort to playing what's expected of you in said position.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Would it be fair to equate a Goalies puckhandling to a QB's scrambling ability to some degree?

If they're good at it: Great. You've added another dimension onto your offense.
If not: Fine. You just resort to playing what's expected of you in said position.
I feel like scrambling is much more important than puckhandling. Though I guess the exception is a guy like Brodeur who teams have to game plan for in order to avoid him busting a forecheck.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I feel like scrambling is much more important than puckhandling. Though I guess the exception is a guy like Brodeur who teams have to game plan for in order to avoid him busting a forecheck.
That's why I added in the "to a degree". A scrambling QB can inflict way more damage but a Goalie with strong puck handling abilities can really add for some unique offensive situations.

As for Hank, I still shudder when he leaves the crease to play the puck.

Quote:
I am one for never giving up hopes on his 30 win streak and Vezina.
I just don't see it continuing. We would need an explosion of huge win streaks to achieve that. 30 wins out of 48 games leaves us with only 12 more losses to take based on the 6 we've taken already.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Grifter3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I just don't see it continuing. We would need an explosion of huge win streaks to achieve that. 30 wins out of 48 games leaves us with only 12 more losses to take based on the 6 we've taken already.
Well, I'm not sure we've played our best hockey yet, and we've gone 7-2-1 in our last 10.

Extrapolated over another 30 games that 21-6-3.....

Grifter3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

A puckhandling goaltender makes the job easier for defenders against an aggressive forecheck. Also, Henrik has faced several breakaways in situations where Biron would be comfortable enough to come out and play the puck away.

That second point is the big one.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Blue Blooded

This is something I've come to notice this year, and the feeling has grown for each game I've paid attention to it.

A goalie's puckhandling skill is largely superficial, except on the PP.

When the other team clears the zone on a Rangers PP, the puck goes all the way down the ice and Hank sets it up behind the net for a player to come and fetch it. The opposition gets plenty of time to set up in the NZ and the Rangers fail to break into the zone efficiently most of the time.

With a puckhandling goalie, like Holtby last night, he goes out to play the puck allowing the team to keep up the pressure, giving less time for the defence to set up, and managing the PP time better.

I'm not saying Hank is the reason our PP is abysmal, but I am saying he's a contributing factor.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
A puckhandling goaltender makes the job easier for defenders against an aggressive forecheck. Also, Henrik has faced several breakaways in situations where Biron would be comfortable enough to come out and play the puck away.

That second point is the big one.
henke just likes to pad his stats by saving those breakaways

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote