HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal needs to start banning media

Old
07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The media can still get their pictures and articles- if they stick to hockey. All they have to do is stick to hockey. Is that so hard? Why do they have to veer into things that have nothing to do with hockey? It's so simple! Stick to hockey and you get your scoops. Talk about non-hockey related crap and it's Bye Bye!
Name me ONE media in NA that only talk about the sports while staying away from personal life.

Quote:
As for your last point, well the media might not be the only reason players don't sign here, but it sure doesn't help. I think instead of just "dealing with it" we could make it more appealing to sign here as best we can. People complain that Gainey isn't doing enough to convince players to sign here...Well this is something that would help.
I find it quite ironic from the one who tried at many occasions to start rumors about the Habs players personal life.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
You have to be pretty naive to think that a public figure doesn't expect to be harrassed by the media as part of their job. That is like saying someone signs up to join the military with the expectation being no one will shoot at them. Sure, some of that $6M is because they are good, but there is a large percentage of it that is for putting up with the crap the media deals them with. If they want to play hockey without media pressure, they can go play in a beer league for free, or in a senior league, and bag groceries on the side to make ends meet. They get paid the most, because they are the best. Since they are the best, people want to know about them. Not many stories get written about the scrub who plays the 4th like for 500k a year, because most people don't care what he has to say.
I think that's just a trite cliche you've just regurgitated. They could play hockey in a beer league. Sure. And squash their personal sense of comeptition, their desire to win the Cup, etc. Of course they expect to be harrassed by the media. I'm saying that they shouldn't have to expect it.

And the reason this whole issue came up again (and always keeps coming up, for the 30 years I've followed the team) is because players do expect MORE of it in Montreal than in some other places. And maybe now that free agency has become such an important aspect of the franchise-building equation, that expectation, and the negative impression it makes on players is starting to adversely affect our ability to be competitive. It's a very fair question.

Wanting to know the players is not the issue. Sure, we want to know them. Sure the team will want to publicise them. Sure, a conscientious journalist can do some great human interest stories on their lives. The big guy that used to do those stories on RDS was fantastic. I loved those shows. NHL Network has some campy attempts to talk to the players and give the public some insight into their lives too. That's not what we're talking about. All of those things are done with the explicit consent and active participation of the players involved, and they're all done tastefully and sensibly.

It's the tabloid journalism, some of the over-the-top personal attacks and rumours spread about by some of the talk-show journalists, that sort of stuff that we're speaking against here. The rumour mill will always turn. But I just don't think the Montreal Canadiens should have anything to do with those individuals and media outlets who are busy at the crank. I bet they'd get the picture pretty quickly when all of their competitors were still enjoying access and they were left out in the cold.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:25 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Name me ONE media in NA that only talk about the sports while staying away from personal life.
Um, like 29 other NHL cities. If they talk about their personal life, it's to get to know the players better, not to expose everything about them.

If it wasn't a problem, why would management and players state it as a reason guys stay away from Montreal?

Quote:
I find it quite ironic from the one who tried at many occasions to start rumors about the Habs players personal life.
I'm not the media, and I don't start anything. I'll only post what I know after it's been reported by the media. Otherwise what's the point?

If I'm wrong in doing it, what makes the media right?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Not surprised a thread like this, got started by the thread author.
Not surprised the people who disagree with me, are who they are.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Dutch

How about reducing the numbers of journalist allowed at the press Conference ? Only one per media. This way only the best journalists, the ones respected by the players, would get in there and ask good questions, instead of the BS asked everyday.

This way, you wouldn't see a nobody like Charles Faribault come into a PC and tries to trick Koivu... when the guy usually doesn't even cover sports.

And if Journal de Montréal or any other media does something stupid like the picture of Koivu after surgery, well then you only have one journalist to ban. And you ban him for a certain amount of time.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think that's just a trite cliche you've just regurgitated. They could play hockey in a beer league. Sure. And squash their personal sense of comeptition, their desire to win the Cup, etc. Of course they expect to be harrassed by the media. I'm saying that they shouldn't have to expect it.

And the reason this whole issue came up again (and always keeps coming up, for the 30 years I've followed the team) is because players do expect MORE of it in Montreal than in some other places. And maybe now that free agency has become such an important aspect of the franchise-building equation, that expectation, and the negative impression it makes on players is starting to adversely affect our ability to be competitive. It's a very fair question.

Wanting to know the players is not the issue. Sure, we want to know them. Sure the team will want to publicise them. Sure, a conscientious journalist can do some great human interest stories on their lives. The big guy that used to do those stories on RDS was fantastic. I loved those shows. NHL Network has some campy attempts to talk to the players and give the public some insight into their lives too. That's not what we're talking about. All of those things are done with the explicit consent and active participation of the players involved, and they're all done tastefully and sensibly.

It's the tabloid journalism, some of the over-the-top personal attacks and rumours spread about by some of the talk-show journalists, that sort of stuff that we're speaking against here. The rumour mill will always turn. But I just don't think the Montreal Canadiens should have anything to do with those individuals and media outlets who are busy at the crank. I bet they'd get the picture pretty quickly when all of their competitors were still enjoying access and they were left out in the cold.
You say it better than I do.

Honestly, what's so hard about sticking to hockey? I thought you guys disagreed with all the rumour crap?

Old
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Doesn't make it right. If Theo was still playing here, how much you wanna bet they'd ask him about it in a PC?

Imagine Theodore giving a PC about his foot injury, and some reporter asks him about the Paris Hilton thing. What the hell does that have to do with hockey?

And you know they'd ask him too.
That's life.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
That's life.
No, that's life in Montreal.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Um, like 29 other NHL cities. If they talk about their personal life, it's to get to know the players better, not to expose everything about them.

If it wasn't a problem, why would management and players state it as a reason guys stay away from Montreal?

I'm not the media, and I don't start anything. I'll only post what I know after it's been reported by the media. Otherwise what's the point?

wow, man. Have you been to NYC or Taranna? Or LA? Or Atlanta? Or Philly? Or Boston?

Old
07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
LeGars Du Cable

Quote:

Montreal needs to start banning media from the lockers and PCs. Not ALL the media, obviously, but only certain types.

LOL

LeGars Du Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
deandebean

Quote:
No, that's life in Montreal.
I suggest strongly you visit other cities before making those kinds of statement.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
wow, man. Have you been to NYC or Taranna? Or LA? Or Atlanta? Or Philly? Or Boston?
Harsh media they have there too...But at least when a player gets driven out, it's mostly for reasons having to do with sports.

Or punching a photographer.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
deandebean

Quote:
You say it better than I do.

Honestly, what's so hard about sticking to hockey? I thought you guys disagreed with all the rumour crap?
Gossip exists in every part of the free world. Why is it so bad? It's pure entertainment, which is where hockey figures in the consumer world.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Harsh media they have there too...But at least when a player gets driven out, it's mostly for reasons having to do with sports.

Or punching a photographer.

Harsh? Understatement of the year.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
How about reducing the numbers of journalist allowed at the press Conference ? Only one per media. This way only the best journalists, the ones respected by the players, would get in there and ask good questions, instead of the BS asked everyday.

This way, you wouldn't see a nobody like Charles Faribault come into a PC and tries to trick Koivu... when the guy usually doesn't even cover sports.

And if Journal de Montréal or any other media does something stupid like the picture of Koivu after surgery, well then you only have one journalist to ban. And you ban him for a certain amount of time.

Like I said, the problem that seems to lie here is not at the arena, where it's a controlled environment, but outside the rink.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
deandebean

Listen, the Habs get great coverage. Not excessive coverage. They get the same coverage than the Leafs or the Yanks. Or the Cowboys. Or any other major franchise in a major city.

Montreal is not exceptional here. It's purely one of the biggest hockey markets in the world. The coverage it gets is comparable to the coverage baseball, football, basketball and soccer teams get all over the planet. Why it isn't getting into some of your heads is behond me.

Old
07-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
That's not true.

Jagr gambling problems, Fleury's drinking, Roy's story with his wife, etc were reported everywhere.

Quote:
Please provide a link to a direct quote by a current NHL player or a manager.

The koivu picture is pretty much the only example in the last 20 years of personnal stuff that did'nt belong in the media. Théo/Paris was reported elsewhere first. Most of the stuff the medias know about the players personnal life in never reported. One mistake is'nt enoug ht o give a city a bad name, specially that it was only a picture.

When the players talk about the difficulty to play in Montreal they always talk about the pressure, which have nothing to do with all the stuff you are talking about.

Quote:

You "reported" stuff that was'nt in any media (about Théo and Ribs if it can help you remember).

It's the kind of stuff the Montreal medias don't get into as it's personnal.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
David_99

Solution:

Now, I know Koivu would never do this as some of you will think it is sick but I like to bide my time and take revenge patiently. If I were Koivu, I'd take an after hours class (no, not in french) but for journalism. While there, ask to have an article in the school newspaper or better if he can. Start writing articles on the local media. Focus on the guy that took his pictures in the hospital room. Do some digging. Show up at the guys house with cameras asking stupid questions. Follow him on the street asking him questions on every aspect of his life like "Why the double double? Do you really need all that sugar? What's your relationship with your secretary? Really? That's not what I heard." etc. If he yells harassment, say "Sorry, freedome of the press. Hmmm, you look nervous. What are you trying to hide?"

All of a sudden, the press will get off his back for fear of him showing up at their house.

I'm sick, I know.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:04 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

I understand what you mean, but I think I worded what I meant to say poorly. The only way a hockey player will ever not expect to get that kind of rumor mill, personal attack, inrusive media presence is when the rest of the worlds public figures get the same treatment. Unfortunately, most people in the world today enjoy, and demand, celebrity gossip. In Montreal, our hockey players are the celebrities, so they get the celebrity treatment. The same thing happened to Bertuzzi in Vancouver, and Dany Heatly in Atlanta.

I seriously doubt that the guy who took Koivu's picture in the hospital has any sort of legitimate media credentials anywhere. I don't think the Canadiens could have stopped this guy if they want to, since I don't think anyone would stoop low enough to put that kind of scum on their payroll

I think that this whole media issue is just another negotiating tactic that agents use to get the most money they can for their clients, just like the tax issue. Once the Habs pony up a few hundred thousand more in their offer, they run to the other teams saying, well Montreal is offering X, what do you have to say.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
I understand what you mean, but I think I worded what I meant to say poorly. The only way a hockey player will ever not expect to get that kind of rumor mill, personal attack, inrusive media presence is when the rest of the worlds public figures get the same treatment. Unfortunately, most people in the world today enjoy, and demand, celebrity gossip. In Montreal, our hockey players are the celebrities, so they get the celebrity treatment. The same thing happened to Bertuzzi in Vancouver, and Dany Heatly in Atlanta.
Agreed, however...
Quote:
I seriously doubt that the guy who took Koivu's picture in the hospital has any sort of legitimate media credentials anywhere. I don't think the Canadiens could have stopped this guy if they want to, since I don't think anyone would stoop low enough to put that kind of scum on their payroll
Well, somebody bought the picture, some newspaper put it on their front page, some TV station showed it. Maybe you can't stop the occasional lunatic from doing something on his own. But if there is nobody willing to buy or show that picture, it should cut down the odds of it happening. If LJdeM or TQS or whoever take that picture public, then they should face a period of wrath from the Montreal Canadiens. Cold shoulder to the network that airs some particularly distasteful talk-show slander, even if you can't really do anything to stop the individual tabloid journalist himself. Bring on Quebecor if you want to, the Montreal Canadiens are bigger in the hearts of the people than any big transnational conglomerate and their dehumanized dollar signs. I think they'd get the picture quickly enough.
Quote:
I think that this whole media issue is just another negotiating tactic that agents use to get the most money they can for their clients, just like the tax issue. Once the Habs pony up a few hundred thousand more in their offer, they run to the other teams saying, well Montreal is offering X, what do you have to say.
Oh sure, I have no doubt that they do. But "all things being equal"... or even pretty close to equal... I can see how it would affect the choices of some (not all) players. And I don't blame those players for it one bit. Of course, I can also see that you'd get some of the same thing in New York, Boston, Toronto, etc also. Sure you would. But there are 30 teams now, not just 6. And perhaps we don't have the same set of attractive benefits to offset the spotlight glare that some of those other equally-rabid centres do.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
The guy who stood up when Koivu was giving and purposely tried to embarass him with the French question didn't sound American to me.

Really, why should that guy be allowed back into another PC? His sole intention was to embarass Koivu and start something out of nothing. He wasn't there to report on Koivu's eye injury, he was there to start **** up.
Once again , you take a situation and turn it as if it was exactly what YOU THINK IT WAS . You decide what was the intention of a newspaper guy , YOU decide that he just wanted to embarass Koivu .

Geez ! Koivu is playing for the Habs for how much years ? 10- 11 ? you talk like if he was confronted to a outageous attack . Geez ! the guy only ask him something about the french language .Koivu is an adult , and as it , is able to answer a question like this one .

In +-10 seasons , how many time did Koivu receive a bad treatment ? 3-4 times ? And you think it's enough to scare all the NHL players to come play here ? that 's ridiculous ...

Stop to protect you Koivu like if he was a prince ; i can' t imagine that someone who spend 10 years in Montreal , never tought or realise our specificity .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
Once again , you take a situation and turn it as if it was exactly what YOU THINK IT WAS . You decide what was the intention of a newspaper guy , YOU decide that he just wanted to embarass Koivu .

Geez ! Koivu is playing for the Habs for how much years ? 10- 11 ? you talk like if he was confronted to a outageous attack . Geez ! the guy only ask him something about the french language .Koivu is an adult , and as it , is able to answer a question like this one .

In +-10 seasons , how many time did Koivu receive a bad treatment ? 3-4 times ? And you think it's enough to scare all the NHL players to come play here ? that 's ridiculous ...

Stop to protect you Koivu like if he was a prince ; i can' t imagine that someone who spend 10 years in Montreal , never tought or realise our specificity .
So what was his intention then? To stimulate interesting discussion with Koivu?

Why did he bring that up at a PC about Koivu's eye injury? Why did he bring it up PERIOD when it has NOTHING to do with hockey? Why did he bring it up when it's been beaten to death a million times? Why?

Why did he ask Koivu in French when he knows damn well Koivu doesn't speak it? Would it make sense if Koivu answered him in Finnish?

Old
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I never said all the media types are xenophobes. I don't know where you're getting this. It's like you hear only what you want to hear or something. I think I said it like 12 times already. I NEVER SAID TO BAN ALL THE MEDIA. I SAID TO BAN THE XENOPHOBIC/SENSATIONALIST ONES. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM, WHY ARE YOU ARGUING WITH ME?

Stick to hockey and you get your scoops. Talk about non-hockey related crap and it's Bye Bye!
you said that ; "Ban the newspaper that ran the picture of Koivu in the hospital (Journal, I think). Ban the guys who sent that reporter to assault Koivu at his PC. Ban anyone who starts with the xenophobia or who brings up the language issue. Hell, ban anyone who brings up anything non-hockey related."

being what they are that 's mean all the medias .

also , Xenophobia you said ? who is Xenophob ? what makes you say that someone is xenophobe ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
you said that ; "Ban the newspaper that ran the picture of Koivu in the hospital (Journal, I think). Ban the guys who sent that reporter to assault Koivu at his PC. Ban anyone who starts with the xenophobia or who brings up the language issue. Hell, ban anyone who brings up anything non-hockey related."

being what they are that 's mean all the medias .

also , Xenophobia you said ? who is Xenophob ? what makes you say that someone is xenophobe ?
No, thats not all the media. There are plenty of reporters out there who talk HOCKEY and only HOCKEY. RDS for the most part sticks to hockey. TSN sticks to hockey. Red Fisher sticks to hockey. They are there to report on The Canadiens, a hockey team, so it's only logical that they stick to the issue at hand, which is HOCKEY.

The Bergerons and the Todds and the rest of the people who have a personal agenda (the xenophobes) shouldn't be allowed near the dressing room and the PCs.

Old
07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Alouette_19

More you banned the journalist more you expose them to be frustrated and use other tecnic like be paparazzi

Villeneuve do that on Theo.......the photo of Koivu at the hospital........I don't want to see that anymore!!!

The pressure in Montreal is nothing less that an excuse for not sign here!!! Same thing for the media pressure

Alouette_19 is offline   Reply With Quote