HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Vanek's Success: How Much Credit Does CoHo Deserve?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Shoey
Hello.

vCash: 500
I agree that Ennis is the team's best center, but his game doesn't fit with Vanek at all. Vanek is better when he's the primary catalyst of a line. You have to allow Thomas Vanek to be more than just a sniper, because he's truly a complete player.

A lot is made of how many different ways Thomas Vanek is capable of scoring, very little is made of the different ways Thomas Vanek can set people up. Give him hard working guys who go to the net and ice time and this is exactly what I've thought would happen for years, Vanek's vindicating everything a lot of us see when we watched him play. Hodgson isn't a perfect player yet, but he does have skill and he is willing to go to dirty areas to make a play. He's far and away the best fit to center Vanek on this roster right now.

Tyler Ennis creates offense primarily with his skating, he's another guy that's most effective when he's holding the puck and finding his own space. He can be frustrating with the turnovers but most of it is him working really hard and trying to make plays. If given the right matchups (this is helped by Vanek dominating on a separate line) he's also very capable of taking over a game. At 23 he's just an endlessly exciting player because I see real progress with him as he's matured... I think the best is yet to come.

The wildcard with this whole line of thinking? Grigs.

Grigorenko's vision is already showing some of the flashes I see from Vanek... if he ever develops into a #1 center it would have the potential to be Lafontaine/Mogilny all over again. 2 guys operating on a level few are capable of... but this is all theoretical and probably at least a year away from happening so I digress.

I don't think this team is very good right now, but I do think that's going to change as these guys mature... there's a lot of potential in this team.

oh and fire Lindy dammit, anybody who took 8 years to finally play Thomas Vanek in most situations deserves it.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I agree that Ennis is the team's best center, but his game doesn't fit with Vanek at all. Vanek is better when he's the primary catalyst of a line. You have to allow Thomas Vanek to be more than just a sniper, because he's truly a complete player.

A lot is made of how many different ways Thomas Vanek is capable of scoring, very little is made of the different ways Thomas Vanek can set people up. Give him hard working guys who go to the net and ice time and this is exactly what I've thought would happen for years, Vanek's vindicating everything a lot of us see when we watched him play. Hodgson isn't a perfect player yet, but he does have skill and he is willing to go to dirty areas to make a play. He's far and away the best fit to center Vanek on this roster right now.

Tyler Ennis creates offense primarily with his skating, he's another guy that's most effective when he's holding the puck and finding his own space. He can be frustrating with the turnovers but most of it is him working really hard and trying to make plays. If given the right matchups (this is helped by Vanek dominating on a separate line) he's also very capable of taking over a game. At 23 he's just an endlessly exciting player because I see real progress with him as he's matured... I think the best is yet to come.

Grigorenko's vision is already showing some of the flashes I see from Vanek... if he ever develops into a #1 center it would have the potential to be Lafontaine/Mogilny all over again. 2 guys operating on a level few are capable of... but this is all theoretical and probably at least a year away from happening so I digress.

I don't think this team is very good right now, but I do think that's going to change as these guys mature... there's a lot of potential in this team.

oh and fire Lindy dammit, anybody who took 8 years to finally play Thomas Vanek in most situations deserves it.
Well said, sir

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
It will be interesting to see how vanek can benefit from Poms & Hodgson when he falls back down to earth (point production wise).

At the moment, the first line works because Vanek is dominating and Pominville & Hodgson are passengers. I hope when vanek cools down (yeah, it will happen) Hodgson & Jpoms are able to carry that line too.
When I think of a "passenger," I think of a player who racks up secondary assists off of the top guy, which is not what Pominville and Hodgson are doing. All 3 are creating and finishing opportunities. Yes, Vanek is playing out of this world right now, but the other two aren't just out there skating in circles.

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Mergus

The difference between Adam and Cody? How about the fact Cody produced 40 points in his rookie season, even with being traded mid-season...

To compare the two is just laughable. Last season Vanek had 27 points in 24 games. Right now he has 21 in 10. It took him 17 games to reach 21 last year.

I don't think there is any question that Vanek has been a better player with CoHo manning the middle of the ice. There is a reason Vancouver fans were so high on him when he left.

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
French Connection

Not much... Vanek is doing great things on his own.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:

That's cute.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
kirby11

Quote:

thanks for the laugh

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Hodgson is far and away the best center on the roster right now. Fits perfectly with Vanek also, for reasons I've stated several times.

Ennis is starting to come along, but I'm of the opinion that moving him to the wing for a while would do him a lot of good.

We don't have anyone to step in to the 2nd line C right now though. Grigs eventually, maybe in another few weeks.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
That's cute.
I don't think it's even really debatable right now. They're tied for points despite Ennis getting more difficult minutes and not having the benefit of playing consistently on a line with the league's top forward and captain, and he's a plus while CoHo's a minus despite playing on that line, plus the fact that Ennis has had far more past success in this league despite being in the same draft year. I'm sorry, but you must have an agenda if you are going to have that opinion.

Ennis vs. CoHo is off topic, but the idea of Vanek succeeding with virtually any center seems legit. If Hodgson cleans up his act in his own end, I think he can be a legit, long term top 6 center. But as of right now, it feels like he's is to blame for as many goals against as he helps contribute for.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM

Cody Hodgson

ES: 5G 5A
PP 0G 0A 2:28TOI (not on top unit)

Tyler Ennis

ES: 4G 2A (goal in BOS was just as PP expired)
PP: 0G 3A 3:56TOI (Top Unit)

I would say Hodgson is the better player, he also has more room to improve.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I don't think it's even really debatable right now. They're tied for points despite Ennis getting more difficult minutes and not having the benefit of playing consistently on a line with the league's top forward and captain, and he's a plus while CoHo's a minus despite playing on that line, plus the fact that Ennis has had far more past success in this league despite being in the same draft year. I'm sorry, but you must have an agenda if you are going to have that opinion.

Ennis vs. CoHo is off topic, but the idea of Vanek succeeding with virtually any center seems legit. If Hodgson cleans up his act in his own end, I think he can be a legit, long term top 6 center. But as of right now, it feels like he's is to blame for as many goals against as he helps contribute for.
The only one with an Ennis/Hodgson agenda is you.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
stokes84

Quote:
The only one with an Ennis/Hodgson agenda is you.
Good points. Well debated.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Good points. Well debated.
it's true

Old
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Tyler Ennis has zero primary assists at 5-on-5 this year.

Factual agenda.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Never mind!!

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Factual agenda.
Yeah? Who's got better hair?

Facts matter.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
He had one last night
Not according to Behind the Net.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...0+17+18+19+20#

Old
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
it's true
Yes, because around here, we call differing opinions "agendas". It makes us feel nice and cozy about our own opinions.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Maybe you don't remember him sliding it to Vanek for his first goal?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, because around here, we call differing opinions "agendas". It makes us feel nice and cozy about our own opinions.
you had your mind made up before Hodgson played a game for Buffalo because you were a Kassian "fan boy". Yes, I would call that an agenda.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Powerplay's aren't 5 on 5 last time I checked.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Zip15

Quote:

Factual agenda.
Quote:
Please read closer. See bolded. White had just taken his 4-minute penalty.

P.S. Should we start a thread about how many of Ennis' points "were all Vanek?"

Old
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Powerplay's aren't 5 on 5 last time I checked.
Touche. But I hardly see that as an indictment. Stafford has 0 goals on 30 shots. That shooting percentage isn't sustainable.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Touche. But I hardly see that as an indictment. Stafford has 0 goals on 30 shots. That shooting percentage isn't sustainable.
Stafford's been bad, too. The difference is you don't see anyone claiming Stafford's the better winger over Pominville because he has more difficult minutes and Pominville only gets points because he's playing with Vanek.