HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Erik Cole already retired?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Milhouse40

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's a good point, actually. Four of MaxPac's 6 assists have something in common: Andrei Markov on the powerplay. And the one goal that Cole and Desharnais both got points for was actually a Desharnais goal from both wingers. The puck really doesn't seem to be distributed through that line the way it "should", or the way we'd expect if DD was a) on top of his game, or b) as good as his biggest supporters would have us believe. MaxPac and Cole basically seem to be on solo mission after solo mission out there, with DD rarely catching up to the play, or not getting open offensively to receive a pass when either guy gets pressured so he can redistribute the puck.

As for your last line there, it's interesting to note that in limited play between Cole and Pacioretty last year, that line was technically more productive at even strength than having DD between them (3.3 goals per EV min with Eller vs. 2.8 goals per EV min with DD - 5.3 goals per EV min with Plekanec between them, btw). I've been thinking that they should have a longer look at this possibility for a while now, but then what do you do with DD? He handcuffs possible line juggling more than any other "top 6" player I can think of.
If i remember correctly...DD scored twice with a pass directly from Eller when Max was out. I think each players did better without themselves.

The problem with line juggling is that Cole play on the same side as Gionta and Gallagher. Can't put those small players on the same line as DD....way too small.
So Cole is basically the only can who can play with DD.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
If i remember correctly...DD scored twice with a pass directly from Eller when Max was out. I think each players did better without themselves.

The problem with line juggling is that Cole play on the same side as Gionta and Gallagher. Can't put those small players on the same line as DD....way too small.
So Cole is basically the only can who can play with DD.
Bourque is a natural right winger who performs better in that position. I have no problem with Galchenyuk playing for a while on the left side with Eller and Gionta.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I don't think he's disinterested. I think he's not in game shape.
His decision making is often poor, passes aren't sharp, timing is off. At his age, it just makes sense that an off season with little training is affecting him.
I just think his conditioning isn't up to par.
Conditioning is the base of all, if that's weak, so will be the rest. I wouldn't put any weight on his ''retirement'' threat earlier, that was just bitter talk. IMO, he's just not in shape.
Hopefully he is resting well and eating properly. But I would have him play less, and versus weaker opponents. Send him on the 3rd line, give Eller a promotion. See how it plays out.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50
Cole is Cold.

Okay there's definetely something wrong with Cole this year, yes last year he took ten games before he stepped up his game and yes we've only played ten games so far, but that's not all there is to the story.

Cole should still have some chemistry with DD and Patches left from last season, but right now he's not showing any positive input from it. I believe he's the reason why the line is under-performing and I don't see where else he could play on the roster and have a better fit.

MB should trade Cole before it is too late right now he has 2G 2A in 10games, if he goes for another 10 games with a less productive record he will have very little value on the market. I'm sure there are many GM's in the league that would be willing to give us a fair deal for him, whether it's picks or a left winger. I just don't see Cole having a good season or a good future.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Okay there's definetely something wrong with Cole this year, yes last year he took ten games before he stepped up his game and yes we've only played ten games so far, but that's not all there is to the story.

Cole should still have some chemistry with DD and Patches left from last season, but right now he's not showing any positive input from it. I believe he's the reason why the line is under-performing and I don't see where else he could play on the roster and have a better fit.

MB should trade Cole before it is too late right now he has 2G 2A in 10games, if he goes for another 10 games with a less productive record he will have very little value on the market. I'm sure there are many GM's in the league that would be willing to give us a fair deal for him, whether it's picks or a left winger. I just don't see Cole having a good season or a good future.
His contract is a burden.

The guy was not mentally prepared to play a season this year. He was at home in his rocking chair. He is out of shape, more mentally than physically.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
His contract is a burden.

The guy was not mentally prepared to play a season this year. He was at home in his rocking chair. He is out of shape, more mentally than physically.
2.5 years left at 4M is a burden for a 25-30goals scorer?

Gee, Cole has been cold, but we had the same speech last year after 10 games. Ill give it some more time.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahleezer View Post
He might be physically playing, but in his mind I think he's already retired.

I'm worried about his performances on the ice... especially the last 2 games.

He is nothing like the Eric Cole of last year.

Now I know what you'll say... he's a slow starter.

While true, he's never been bad in his slow starts.

I can easily say he is our worst player on the ice over the last couple games.

Kaberle and Whyte aside.

What do you guys think?
You know me I never liked the four year term

2 years is all he should of got cause the next two years I dont see playing well

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

2 years is all he should of got cause the next two years I dont see playing well
As good as he was last year, that was clearly a bad contract from day one, but it was probably the only way to get him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Trade Pacioretty aswell, not even one goal! Any kind of cold streak should be remedied with drastic and immediate "knee jerk" trades according to the brain trust of hfboards.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
I also don't see Cole playing very well. The only thing he's doing well is driving towards the net and being solid on the puck. I hope he picks it up once Pacioretty gets back! He's been pretty invisible imo, as well as Gionta to a lesser extent.
I agree he hasn't been very good he looks very disinterested when he loses the puck. He seems to have no desire.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

The thing is...if you trade Cole might as well trade Desharnais.
Who's a big enough and talented enough winger to take that roster spot?

Gionta or Gallagher?
That's what we got on the same side as Cole!!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:12 PM
digmor crusher

Talk about over reacting some of you guys. Give him a chance. I'd rather get rid of Desharnais, too small for any success in playoffs and team is too small already. He's probably also a one year wonder whereas Cole has been solid for many years.

digmor crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

He was an unrestricted free agent. For a two year term he would have stayed in Carolina. Unless you were willing to offer him $5-6 mil/year...

For one I think he had a great influence on Pacioretty last year which was worth it in itself, and secondly, I think we need to have a bit more patience before we decide his career is over. It's 10 games in for *******'s sake.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think he's disinterested. I think he's not in game shape.
His decision making is often poor, passes aren't sharp, timing is off. At his age, it just makes sense that an off season with little training is affecting him.
I just think his conditioning isn't up to par.
Conditioning is the base of all, if that's weak, so will be the rest. I wouldn't put any weight on his ''retirement'' threat earlier, that was just bitter talk. IMO, he's just not in shape.
Hopefully he is resting well and eating properly. But I would have him play less, and versus weaker opponents. Send him on the 3rd line, give Eller a promotion. See how it plays out.
that's how it looks, like everything is just a little off, every aspect of his game right now
a slower starter after a lay off,makes sense
not disinterested but mentally/ phys adjusting
it all should come back soon and start to click, Coles a professional

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Cole has always been a player who has to be prodded to give a consistent effort. I think a combination of being in poor shape and still sulking over the lockout are the primary reasons for his poor play.

I suspect that he would welcome a trade back to Carolina if they were interested.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:51 AM
BrimStone64

Cole is notorious slow starter. Last year in first 15 games he had 2 goals and 3 assists. Year before that it was about the same and year before that in first 11 games had 1 goal. With no camp this year may be a bit longer before he hits full stride.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:11 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Cole has always been a player who has to be prodded to give a consistent effort. I think a combination of being in poor shape and still sulking over the lockout are the primary reasons for his poor play.

I suspect that he would welcome a trade back to Carolina if they were interested.
On what planet!? If you don't know what you are talking about then don't talk about it. Cole has always been a very hardworking guy, it's astonishing to me that you would say something as ridiculous and untruthful as that. There isn't a single knowledgeable Canes/NHL fan who would say something as ignorant as that. Erik Cole has always been a hard-worker, even more so after his horrific neck-injury a few years ago.

Cole has been terrible so far this year for sure, but it has nothing to do with a lack of hard-work, he's just not mentally there right now. He is not even playing his game, he is a different player this year. He is an older guy, and he he wasn't playing in a league before the end of the lockout, hopefully everything works out, and i think it will. He is too good of a player still to be playing this bad.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
But that's not even true.

Cole was flying from the start last year. He was playing well but he just wasn't producing for various reasons (bad luck, bad chemistry with linemates, tougher match ups, no powerplay time).

This year Cole is getting all the right opportunities but he just is not the same player he was last year.

In his career he's had a lot of variation in his performances from one season to the next too. And right now it's obvious he wasn't ready for this shortened season, whether it's physically or mentally. Perhaps both.

Let's hope he can get back on track before the last game. But at this point, I am not expecting much from him. I agree with whoever suggested giving him easier match ups and having Eller replace him for the time being.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:24 PM
LaTenderness

Cole looks like absolute **** out there

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
He has been disgraceful so far this season.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Would not surprise me if he's 90% convinced he's retiring. Sure playing like it.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Would not surprise me if he's 90% convinced he's retiring. Sure playing like it.
He's playing like last year + expectations.

Needs to just go back to basics and play a straigh ahead power game...he had a big hit on Frantzen and needs to do it more.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He has been disgraceful so far this season.
Pretty big overstatement.

He;s struggled but at least he is puuting an effort, sometimes trying too hard...needs to simplify his game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:16 AM
HabsCowboysOwn
#FireTherrien

He's playing like a putrid pile of **** and he don't even care. DD is probably even worse, in fact watching them together is so sad it looks more like a joke to me right now. ''Legit first line'', yeah right. Disgusting.

HabsCowboysOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Pretty big overstatement.

He;s struggled but at least he is puuting an effort, sometimes trying too hard...needs to simplify his game.
Every single player on our team is putting forth some effort, but I think Cole's effort is the least. His play away from the puck last year was phenomenal. This year, he just seems to stand around. Maybe he's just not fully ready for the season yet. But hopefully he starts piecing it together by game-20.

As good as Bourque is playing, he can't score. We need someone to start putting the puck in the net.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote