HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:14 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'm interested in Colin Wilson. I hoped the sabres would draft him.

If we tank, I'd like to move Vanek and Ennis for Wilson and Shea Weber.
Honestly not sure if Nashville pulls the trigger. But the cap considerations have to factor in heavily and you'd think they would like getting out from under Weber's deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
My gut is telling me that Miller won't be here past this season, or may even be shipped out prior to the deadline. Just a gut feeling, nothing more. I think Regier will look to acquire a young goaltender with starter potential now that it should be clear that Enroth isn't the long-term answer, and the more I think about it the more I believe that we're going to be a sleeper team for Bernier. (Obviously, acquiring Bernier would be in a separate move, as LAK already has Quick and, thus, no need for Miller.) I think Bernier's price will be around what Lindback cost (two 2nd's + 3rd) and Regier will use assets acquired in deals for Leo and Regehr and (possibly) Miller to make it work.

There's a window open for Regier to move Miller because he can sell it that Miller hasn't put up elite numbers in a few years, and there's not a goaltender in the system right now that is more likely than not going to be a bona fide #1 starter in the NHL. If he's going to move Miller, I hope he does it pre-deadline so that he doesn't get just hot enough to ruin our draft position over the last month.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Miller for Niemi+1st

Old
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Miller for Niemi+1st
Not going to happen. We have to be realistic. While Miller would do better in San Jose than he would here, the difference between Niemi and Miller is not a 1st round draft pick right now. Especially with Niemi performing well. I think some will be surprised at what Regier ends up moving him for. I think it's going to be very Derek Roy-esque in that people say to themselves, "that's all?"

Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not going to happen. We have to be realistic. While Miller would do better in San Jose than he would here, the difference between Niemi and Miller is not a 1st round draft pick right now. Especially with Niemi performing well. I think some will be surprised at what Regier ends up moving him for. I think it's going to be very Derek Roy-esque in that people say to themselves, "that's all?"
Those who think Miller is an elite talent will say that. The rest of us will be saying "well, all things considered, that's fair I guess".

Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
what would be the point in moving a top 15 goalie in the league who will be good for another 5+ years while his value is low?

Not opposed to moving him but their better be a good piece involved, I would think you would still get a decent haul for him considering he his contract.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
what would be the point in moving a top 15 goalie in the league who will be good for another 5+ years while his value is low?

Not opposed to moving him but their better be a good piece involved, I would think you would still get a decent haul for him considering he his contract.
5+ years? He's 32

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
5+ years? He's 32
look around the league, goalies who stay limber can play and be good for along time. I would say Miller is a starter until he is 37.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
San Jose is in cap hell as of next year. They aren't adding a 6 million /year goalie. Especially at the expense of a 1st rounder.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
A Bruins fan friend of mine from another board suggested the following:

Vanek

for

Hamilton, Spooner and a 2nd

If Darcy got offered that, we'd have to take that, right????

Old
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post

Vanek

for

I don't think he'd HAVE to take that deal.

If they are going to blow things up, I wouldn't mind them figuring out a way to upgrade on D and in goal and move out Miller, too.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Deevo

Quote:

Vanek

for

I'd think long and hard, that's for sure.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Vanek

for

Not enough for me.... of course I don't know who Spooner is anyways but...even if he's on par with Hamilton...its not enough. Id start listening if the draft pick was a 1st....tho

Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Fill a half hole (JGL, Pysyk, McNabb will be rdy for NHL duty in as short a time frame as tomorrow) to open a gaping hole in scoring. No thanks. You can't even really say you are filling any hole, Dougie is a rookie and myers was awesome his rookie year. So you are opening a huge hole on the roster to get another kid that might be able to do the job eventually. We have maybe somedays already, if you are gonna ship out Vanek at least find someone with 3-4 years of consistent play.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
It would virtually assure us a top 2 pick this year, imagine the scenario if you have the #2 pick and MacKinnon went first.

Jones Myers Hamilton...

Old
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
My gut is telling me that Miller won't be here past this season, or may even be shipped out prior to the deadline. Just a gut feeling, nothing more. I think Regier will look to acquire a young goaltender with starter potential now that it should be clear that Enroth isn't the long-term answer, and the more I think about it the more I believe that we're going to be a sleeper team for Bernier. (Obviously, acquiring Bernier would be in a separate move, as LAK already has Quick and, thus, no need for Miller.) I think Bernier's price will be around what Lindback cost (two 2nd's + 3rd) and Regier will use assets acquired in deals for Leo and Regehr and (possibly) Miller to make it work.

There's a window open for Regier to move Miller because he can sell it that Miller hasn't put up elite numbers in a few years, and there's not a goaltender in the system right now that is more likely than not going to be a bona fide #1 starter in the NHL. If he's going to move Miller, I hope he does it pre-deadline so that he doesn't get just hot enough to ruin our draft position over the last month.
if you are trolling me... it's the best "long troll" ever.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
It would virtually assure us a top 2 pick this year, imagine the scenario if you have the #2 pick and MacKinnon went first.

Jones Myers Hamilton...
Jones-Myers
Hamilton-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Pysyk

would be pretty sweet

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:

I don't see the point of that. Say what you want about Miller, but he's still an above-average starting goalie, and at times elite. Bernier isn't going to lead this team anywhere. I have a hard time imagining any realistic trade involving Miller that makes this team better.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:48 AM
clumping platelets

Does anyone think Jason Chimera could help the Sabres?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Does anyone think Jason Chimera could help the Sabres?
He'd be the Grier replacement we never really picked up. Good on the forecheck and stupid fast but cursed with hands of stone. Getting him and Boyle on the cheap would be two really nice acquisitions.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I don't see the point of that. Say what you want about Miller, but he's still an above-average starting goalie, and at times elite. Bernier isn't going to lead this team anywhere. I have a hard time imagining any realistic trade involving Miller that makes this team better.
I don't disagree with any of that. Remember, though, we also traded a bona fide 2C for a third-line winger (and a cap dump) because he fit a need. As I said, it's just a gut feeling. I just think Darcy is going to try to address what he perceives as a need for a long-term starter, and perhaps shuffle (the same mediocre) deck in the process. I'm not saying it's either smart or will happen, just a sense I'm getting.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Zip.....

Let's just get it over with.

Miller
Stafford

Ryan
Hiller

Add from each side to make it work.

You won't hear it from Miller because he's a professional but I'm sure the crap play of the team, IN HIS PRIME YEARS, is frustrating him. He's been part of the fold for 10 years and "Darcy you didn't build a winner around me, I'm sick of it and would like a trade." I'm sure he wants to win and this franchise has been stuck in crap since July 1st 2007.

I can see a trade happening. Get Ryan in the fold, get rid of Stafford, get a future goalie in a seperate deal and just move forward for when the youngins are ready.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Zip.....

Let's just get it over with.

Miller
Stafford

Ryan
Hiller

Add from each side to make it work.

You won't hear it from Miller because he's a professional but I'm sure the crap play of the team, IN HIS PRIME YEARS, is frustrating him. He's been part of the fold for 10 years and "Darcy you didn't build a winner around me, I'm sick of it and would like a trade." I'm sure he wants to win and this franchise has been stuck in crap since July 1st 2007.

I can see a trade happening. Get Ryan in the fold, get rid of Stafford, get a future goalie in a seperate deal and just move forward for when the youngins are ready.
I don't see why Anaheim does this. The difference between Miller and Hiller is so small, especially when you factor in age & cap hit.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:53 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I don't see why Anaheim does this. The difference between Miller and Hiller is so small, especially when you factor in age & cap hit.
agreed to a point. Like I said add to make it work.

we just are not a contender, and I see no reason why we shouldn't be preparing for 2 years from now. In 2 years would I rather have Miller or Ryan? I'd rather have Ryan so I'd make it happen. If that means Darcy would have to loose a trade to make it happen, so be it.

IMO, I think Miller to the Ducks makes business sense if not perfect hockey sense. Miller will sell tickets for the Ducks.

Also, IMO, to get the deal done I put guys like Ennis, Sekera, McNabb, Brennan plus others on the table. If I trade Miller, Stafford and Ennis for Hiller and Ryan, in 2-3 years I have (with resigning Pomms & Vanek) a top 9 of:

Vanek - Coho - Pomms
Foligno - Grigs - Ryan
??? - Girgs - Armia

With Leino still in the mix, as well as the possibility of Ott still being here. If we somehow signed a 2nd line center, a capable 2nd line center, think of:

Vanek - Coho - Pomms
Foligno - 2nd line center - Ryan
Girgs - Grigs - Armia
Ott - ??? - Kaleta

Yeah, just throwing out spitballs, I'm not opposed to moving Miller, I think if he were to become available, we'd get a decent return. By decent, I mean pieces for the future. Give the guy a chance to win, because in 3 years he'll be on the decline.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
I, for one, am not interested in trading Thomas Vanek. The Sabres made a mistake trading Dave Andreychuk years back and he proved that he had quite a few productive years left. Both Dave and Thomas play a game that can withstand the loss of some foot speed. I would love to see Vanek's jersey in the rafters some day..... hopefully next to Stanley.

Closed Thread