HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Line Combos Thread II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
  #176
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'd put Kassian and Prosser on waivers in a heartbeat.
Yeah, but who'd want them

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:01 AM
  #177
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Lines looked good tonight. Just got to bury those chances
I thought the lines looked pretty good as well. They just can't get that little biscuit into the opposing net...

How many times was someone alone in front of the net with just the goalie, 4 times? And we didn't score on any of them...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  #178
anx
nibedi*****
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
What are your thoughts about the PP so far? Personally I'd love to see Granlund getting a shot in the first unit - even if he's playing crappy minutes in the 4th line.

As for the PP I think it needs more creativity, quicker passing, keeping the puck in the zone, patience. Less crashing the net and trying to force it in. Good PP does both.

As for Granlund I see his biggest problem is not having the time he's used to, especially with the puck. The PP in NHL doesn't differ that much from what's he's used to in Europe so I think it would work well both for the team when having arguably the best PP playmaker they have in the 1st PP unit as well as boosting Granlund's confidence if he clicks with the top guys and ease the transition to the NA game that way.

That being said there are many reasons Wild's not winning as much as they could but since getting goals is one of them - I think they should make use of Granlund's offensive upside to it's potential while on the man advantage. But he sure does need certain type of linemates and PP strategy to get into his wizard mode.

Just my 2 cents

anx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
  #179
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Parise - Koivu - Coyle
I thought the first line had some good immediate chemistry last night with a few tape-to-tape, behind the back, passes that resulted in some great scoring chances (Parise both times I believe). Coyle looked pretty good in front of the net and along the wall and just missed on a few good chances

Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Didn't see much from this line

Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
See 2nd line

Rupp - Konopka - Setoguchi
Probably our 2nd best line last night and the one I credit with turning the momentum in the 2nd period.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
  #180
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Heatley
Cullen
Bouchard
Brodziak
Clutterbuck
Setoguchi

These guys have been mostly worthless all year. I don't see how rearranging them is going create the winning combination. Heatley, Bouchard, Cullen and Setoguchi have had their moments but they haven't been on the score sheet much during this losing skid. Clutterbuck and Brodziak have been complete offensive zone non-factors. No shots. No chances. No possession.

Somebody has got to get moved.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
  #181
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
If we continue to falter - move Setoguchi, sell Clutterbuck as a rental and go with a boom/bust lineup?

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Granlund - Larsson - Heatley
Mitchell - Cullen - Zucker
Rupp - Konopka - Brodziak

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  #182
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Heatley
Cullen
Bouchard
Brodziak
Clutterbuck
Setoguchi

These guys have been mostly worthless all year. I don't see how rearranging them is going create the winning combination. Heatley, Bouchard, Cullen and Setoguchi have had their moments but they haven't been on the score sheet much during this losing skid. Clutterbuck and Brodziak have been complete offensive zone non-factors. No shots. No chances. No possession.

Somebody has got to get moved.
I agree to a certain extent, but making extensive changes into the lineup in the middle of the season will only make things worse IMO. There would just be more guys looking at least as lost in the system as Suter has looked and that wouldn't help us make the playoffs. A trade or two at most may take place, but any more than that would be overkill.

However, if we're still doing this badly close to the trade deadline, then making another trade and focusing on getting the prospects acquainted to the team and the league would be justified.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
  #183
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Our problem is systemwide. It is not on the shoulders of any individual player. When you have a list of players that have been having the problems that they they have, who have the talent that they have, it shows to me that it is a system problem.

All teams go through this, the good ones just work through it. Our guys need to find a way, or Yeo, will probably be the odd man out. Right or wrong.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  #184
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Heatley, Setoguchi, and Brodziak are making pretty good cases for a buyout or trade. Sorry, you can't have a checking line center with 1 point and -7.

Clutterbuck to the fourth line, getting perimeter shots and looking okay, but not really getting it done offensively. Classic fourth liner. Same with Setoguchi.

Just without even thinking about roster limits, I would like to see when healthy:

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Coyle
Mitchell - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Spurgeon - Scandella


Bored with Cullen/Brodziak at #2C, not sure Granlund is ready or not, keep him at wing. I like Coyle on that top line, but Granlund scored quite a few goals around the net in Finland and Coyle would add size to that second line. Bring up Larsson, we just don't have any good centers here.

We need an upgrade on D so that we can get one of Stoner/Scandella off the every day roster. Maybe put Spurgeon in the top four and split up Suter and Brodin, then you have two LD and RD.

Curious to see how Hackett would do up with the Wild, but of course there's two goalies up already. I just think he'd be the only goalie who played competitive hockey for three months prior to the season starting, he might be a lot sharper.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
  #185
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
I would like to see your d-pairings.

Scandella and Spurgeon played well together.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
  #186
THEALLKNOWING*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tripoli, Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Heatley, Setoguchi, and Brodziak are making pretty good cases for a buyout or trade. Sorry, you can't have a checking line center with 1 point and -7.

Clutterbuck to the fourth line, getting perimeter shots and looking okay, but not really getting it done offensively. Classic fourth liner. Same with Setoguchi.

Just without even thinking about roster limits, I would like to see when healthy:

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Coyle
Mitchell - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Spurgeon - Scandella


Bored with Cullen/Brodziak at #2C, not sure Granlund is ready or not, keep him at wing. I like Coyle on that top line, but Granlund scored quite a few goals around the net in Finland and Coyle would add size to that second line. Bring up Larsson, we just don't have any good centers here.

We need an upgrade on D so that we can get one of Stoner/Scandella off the every day roster. Maybe put Spurgeon in the top four and split up Suter and Brodin, then you have two LD and RD.

Curious to see how Hackett would do up with the Wild, but of course there's two goalies up already. I just think he'd be the only goalie who played competitive hockey for three months prior to the season starting, he might be a lot sharper.
Can't break-up Suter/Brodin. I would pair Spurgeon with Stoner, and Gilbert with Marco. Balances many things (size, shots, speed, etc.)

Somehow Hackett of other goalie of the future needs to be up here. Backstrom gone after this year. Harding gone anytime from today-on. Backstrom tradeable, Harding zero trade value. Out goalie(s) of the future needs to be getting NHL experience now!

I would actually put Brodziak on the second line for a game. I don't think it has happened, might jolt him. Just a game.

I bet Cullen would waive his NTC if: he were traded to a Cup contender (not a team just trying to make the playoffs); and he had the potential to sign with that team next year. Not going to happen here, so Fletch should give it a try. I am tired of feeble attempts at fancy passes and stickhandling.

Clutter is really a 3rd or 4th liner. He has perceived value around the league, so his value will never be higher. Let some other team over-pay for him before his limitations are found out. Others see the hits number, not whether the hits actually mean anything. Can't pass, can't shoot. Might be good at sticking in front of the net on a power play, but that is not likely to happen.

Instead of Fletch getting rid of lower line deadwood, I think he needs to try to get rid of some of the currrent "core" that won't be around next year, so the young'ns can get the experience.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
  #187
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Heatley, Setoguchi, and Brodziak are making pretty good cases for a buyout or trade. Sorry, you can't have a checking line center with 1 point and -7.

Clutterbuck to the fourth line, getting perimeter shots and looking okay, but not really getting it done offensively. Classic fourth liner. Same with Setoguchi.

Just without even thinking about roster limits, I would like to see when healthy:

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Coyle
Mitchell - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Spurgeon - Scandella


Bored with Cullen/Brodziak at #2C, not sure Granlund is ready or not, keep him at wing. I like Coyle on that top line, but Granlund scored quite a few goals around the net in Finland and Coyle would add size to that second line. Bring up Larsson, we just don't have any good centers here.

We need an upgrade on D so that we can get one of Stoner/Scandella off the every day roster. Maybe put Spurgeon in the top four and split up Suter and Brodin, then you have two LD and RD.

Curious to see how Hackett would do up with the Wild, but of course there's two goalies up already. I just think he'd be the only goalie who played competitive hockey for three months prior to the season starting, he might be a lot sharper.
I like these lines. I wonder if we'll see something like this anytime soon.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
  #188
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Problem with our lines is that we need more than two consistently good players in our top nine. When seven of your top nine forwards all go cold at once...that can't happen. That's why guys like Coyle are brought up, they have urgency.

Heatley can play like crap for three weeks...he'll still be in the top six. Coyle can't play like crap for two games in a row otherwise he might go to the minors.

Granlund needs to feel that threat too...he got scratched and on the fourth line, now let him play 2-3 games with decent linemates and see if his fire comes out.

If not, there's guys like Zucker and Larsson waiting in the wings...

Wild really need to move Kassian and/or Setoguchi to bring up another kid and bump an older player off into the press box.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
  #189
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Russo tweeted re: Zucker that they're creating a spot for him as we speak. Unless Seto gets traded, I think they're sending Granlund down.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
  #190
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Heatley, Setoguchi, and Brodziak are making pretty good cases for a buyout or trade. Sorry, you can't have a checking line center with 1 point and -7.

Clutterbuck to the fourth line, getting perimeter shots and looking okay, but not really getting it done offensively. Classic fourth liner. Same with Setoguchi.

Just without even thinking about roster limits, I would like to see when healthy:

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Coyle
Mitchell - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Spurgeon - Scandella


Bored with Cullen/Brodziak at #2C, not sure Granlund is ready or not, keep him at wing. I like Coyle on that top line, but Granlund scored quite a few goals around the net in Finland and Coyle would add size to that second line. Bring up Larsson, we just don't have any good centers here.

We need an upgrade on D so that we can get one of Stoner/Scandella off the every day roster. Maybe put Spurgeon in the top four and split up Suter and Brodin, then you have two LD and RD.

Curious to see how Hackett would do up with the Wild, but of course there's two goalies up already. I just think he'd be the only goalie who played competitive hockey for three months prior to the season starting, he might be a lot sharper.
I like these lines assuming Larsson could actually make the big jump.

One change would be moving Stoner down and Scandella up. Stoner has been bad the last few games. Last game he was beyond terrible. He gets exposed the more minutes he plays.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
  #191
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Can't break-up Suter/Brodin. I would pair Spurgeon with Stoner, and Gilbert with Marco. Balances many things (size, shots, speed, etc.)

Somehow Hackett of other goalie of the future needs to be up here. Backstrom gone after this year. Harding gone anytime from today-on. Backstrom tradeable, Harding zero trade value. Out goalie(s) of the future needs to be getting NHL experience now!

I would actually put Brodziak on the second line for a game. I don't think it has happened, might jolt him. Just a game.

I bet Cullen would waive his NTC if: he were traded to a Cup contender (not a team just trying to make the playoffs); and he had the potential to sign with that team next year. Not going to happen here, so Fletch should give it a try. I am tired of feeble attempts at fancy passes and stickhandling.

Clutter is really a 3rd or 4th liner. He has perceived value around the league, so his value will never be higher. Let some other team over-pay for him before his limitations are found out. Others see the hits number, not whether the hits actually mean anything. Can't pass, can't shoot. Might be good at sticking in front of the net on a power play, but that is not likely to happen.


Instead of Fletch getting rid of lower line deadwood, I think he needs to try to get rid of some of the currrent "core" that won't be around next year, so the young'ns can get the experience.
I agree with these points.

While Clutter does have his uses, I feel like his perceived value is higher than his actual value.

Cullen would probably net us a 2nd or mid-tier prospect. Maybe we could package him and get something better. I bet he would wave his NTC for a few teams, especially if it would help the Wild in the process. He's not a bad guy, just not what we need.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
  #192
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Russo tweeted re: Zucker that they're creating a spot for him as we speak. Unless Seto gets traded, I think they're sending Granlund down.
Haven't seen that tweet yet.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
  #193
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Russo tweeted re: Zucker that they're creating a spot for him as we speak. Unless Seto gets traded, I think they're sending Granlund down.
I honestly don't think Granlund is the problem this year. Yeah, he's sucked at points, but that's expected.

It's not expected that Cullen, Setoguchi, Brodziak, Clutterbuck, etc. never score ever.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  #194
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Can you link to the tweet? There is no such tweet as far as I can tell from Russo's timeline.

E1: Found it - thanks Gaps

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  #195
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Haven't seen that tweet yet.
Would post the link but I'm on my iPhone. It was posted about an hour ago as a reply to @reichy24 (who asked why Zucker's still down) and it says: creating a spot right now.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
  #196
roon
Registered User
 
roon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Russo tweeted re: Zucker that they're creating a spot for him as we speak. Unless Seto gets traded, I think they're sending Granlund down.
I dont think sending Granlund down is the answer.Waive Kassian or Prosser before you do that.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
  #197
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
So if Zucker comes up what do lines looks like? Is he the 2nd or 3rd line LW?

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
  #198
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Agreed...don't think they send down Granlund. Could be wrong. But I'd say waiving a player who never plays and has almost no scoring upside like Kassian or Prosser (sorry Matt) makes a lot more sense. And then you can sit a player like Heatley, or Seto, or Cullen, or Brodz while bringing up a kid (or two).

Also worth remembering that Scandy is on his ELC and can get sent down.

But Prosser and Kassian are extra bodies that are here in case of injury, and we have no injuries, just underperforming players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
  #199
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
So if Zucker comes up what do lines looks like? Is he the 2nd or 3rd line LW?
Good question. He ought to be top six, but who knows? And Zucker + Granlund means you'd want a bigger guy on that line...preferably not Heatley...

Parise - Koivu - Setoguchi
Zucker - Granlund - Coyle
Bouchard - Cullen - Heatley
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

I kind of like that, if Granlund's at C.

If we did split up Parise and Koivu...

Zucker - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Cullen - Granlund
Bouchard - Brodziak - Heatley
Setoguchi - Konopka - Clutterbuck/Mitchell

That's not bad.

Man, we need a #2 center.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
  #200
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
I don't think they should send Granlund down either, but do they want to have all those rookies there at the same time at this point? I guess we'll see soon enough.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.