HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lak@nsh 2/7/2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 PM
  #151
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Sorry but no way- the negative Nancy's are complaining AFTER we beating St. Louis and LA by a combined 9-1. I don't give a rats you know what if we got out-shot 100-9- that is impressive.

The post by me that you quoted- can you, or anyone else, dispute that everything I wrote is 100% correct- all I am saying is what we have accomplished so far this year is damn impressive- regardless of how many SOG's we have.

I swear some on here would be more satisfied if we had lost 3-2 but outshot LA 45-15.

As I have posted several times on here before, if we can't get a shot on goal when we really need it- say, a tie game or if we are behind (such as the first game in St Louis) I will be right here complaining right along with you. But no one should be complaining right now.......
I recommend you learn the difference between complaining and an honest assessment of everything the team is doing.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
  #152
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
When I have to agree with NoNeck's, obvious doesn't begin to describe the topic at hand.

Wins are great ... but they are not always the result of playing solid hockey. We had one line performing in the 1st period and did nothing in the 2nd until the rush Wilson scored on. Our offense is not "on" ... it's lucky right now. Luck is not sustainable. Needing to count upon our defense to give up no more than one goal is playing on a razor's edge ... and that is exactly what we're doing of late. We're repeatedly getting stuck in our own end with no clue how to clear the zone ... just look at the shift immediately following Wilson's first goal where Blum and Ellis got stuck out there for 2:33 for an extreme example. The PK is looking better right now ... our faceoffs are hit or miss from one game to the next, hell, one period to the next ... Peks is looking like the Peks of old ... our few scoring chances are featuring more of a net presence ... all positives. The thing is that those positives don't negate the glaring issues we've faced all season. Sorry if reality tempers my happiness over the wins because anyone who has ever paid attention to this sport knows that continuing to win on luck alone is highly unlikely.
Hmmm.. we've scored 6 goals last game, against STL no less, and then today we scored three, against LA. We are not relying on Pekka near as much as you claim. Sure earlier in the season we played worst offensively but not so much the past 4 games when the preds seemed to wake up.

EDIT: and the fact you can distinguish luck from talent and work ethic is amazing.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 PM
  #153
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
When I have to agree with NoNeck's, obvious doesn't begin to describe the topic at hand.

Wins are great ... but they are not always the result of playing solid hockey. We had one line performing in the 1st period and did nothing in the 2nd until the rush Wilson scored on. Our offense is not "on" ... it's lucky right now. Luck is not sustainable. Needing to count upon our defense to give up no more than one goal is playing on a razor's edge ... and that is exactly what we're doing of late. We're repeatedly getting stuck in our own end with no clue how to clear the zone ... just look at the shift immediately following Wilson's first goal where Blum and Ellis got stuck out there for 2:33 for an extreme example. The PK is looking better right now ... our faceoffs are hit or miss from one game to the next, hell, one period to the next ... Peks is looking like the Peks of old ... our few scoring chances are featuring more of a net presence ... all positives. The thing is that those positives don't negate the glaring issues we've faced all season. Sorry if reality tempers my happiness over the wins because anyone who has ever paid attention to this sport knows that continuing to win on luck alone is highly unlikely.
Your posts really just leave me speechless- after beating two teams a combined 9-1, you still spend way more time detailing all the problems we have. I guess anything short of perfection is just not good enough??? Once again, I am not a person who is just singing sunshine all the time- if we struggle to put shots on net or score or anything else in games where we ACTUALLY NEED IT, I will be right here with you complaining about it.

But this 4 game winning streak the team has put together is pretty amazing, and I am not going to spend more energy nit picking the negatives than I am being thrilled about the start we are off to.

(And on a side note- did you happen to watch the Blues/Wings game? Very similar to our game there Tuesday- Wings had a 4-1 lead after 2- in the third period, they had TWO shots on goal- that is because, as I pointed out in that game thread, when ANY team in ANY sport builds a huge lead, they always let up offensively- always. So should Detroit fans be worried about the shots on goal after the game tonight or happy about a great road win?)

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
  #154
Neal Before Zod
Registered User
 
Neal Before Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Shots or no shots, we're burying chances, which is far more important.

In re: the shot disparity...I do not believe that was a result of poor offensive play, but rather poor D zone play. We had several LONG stretches where we could not break out of our zone, or only had a partial breakout. The Kings had a ton of totally worthless distance shots against Rinne (unscreened). I'm not worried about that...but obviously the Kings were off their game a little bit, because spending THAT much time in our own zone should have resulted in at least one goal if not two.

As for the offense, there's "you can't score if you don't shoot"...but if the boys are making plays, the number of times we shoot really doesn't matter. All 3 of the goals tonight were from relatively the same spot...in the slot. Somebody's been watching Crispy's Breakdown.

Also, credit the Kings for being hyper aggressive on the puck tonight...that also resulted in a lower number of shots.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
  #155
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
woo, had to work through this one but i was listening. excited to watch the highlights.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  #156
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
There are issues, but there are more issues on the teams we've played in the last 4. Blues have lost three in a row. Kings are mediocre. Sharks also had a down spell. I'm fine with pointing out the issues; we can't survive an entire season averaging 15 shots a game. That said, a win is a win, and I thought we played pretty well. SOG is not as great a stat as it seems; Pekka in his post-game interview effectively said "Most were from the outside; not that bad and good team defense." We are playing fantastic defensively, mediocre offensively, and that is enough for W's right now.

I'll say again, we are a team that needs a full training camp. We floundered without one, but now we seem to be clicking. I think we may continue to improve.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
  #157
Marty Party
@ The Bridge
 
Marty Party's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Misc. Photos

Had fun tonight. Always great to catch a win at the Bridge. Also met some Jets fans before the game and another set during the first intermission. Pretty random but it was good talking with them.








Last edited by Marty Party: 02-08-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:26 AM
  #158
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Your posts really just leave me speechless- after beating two teams a combined 9-1, you still spend way more time detailing all the problems we have. I guess anything short of perfection is just not good enough??? Once again, I am not a person who is just singing sunshine all the time- if we struggle to put shots on net or score or anything else in games where we ACTUALLY NEED IT, I will be right here with you complaining about it.

But this 4 game winning streak the team has put together is pretty amazing, and I am not going to spend more energy nit picking the negatives than I am being thrilled about the start we are off to.

(And on a side note- did you happen to watch the Blues/Wings game? Very similar to our game there Tuesday- Wings had a 4-1 lead after 2- in the third period, they had TWO shots on goal- that is because, as I pointed out in that game thread, when ANY team in ANY sport builds a huge lead, they always let up offensively- always. So should Detroit fans be worried about the shots on goal after the game tonight or happy about a great road win?)
What do you think the coaches said to the team after this game?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:29 AM
  #159
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
I'll just leave this little tidbit for the negatives about our sog, which I agree is a little worrisome, but it's nothing new for this team so I'm well accustomed to it by now. The Kings play-by-play radio guy told Tom Callahan in the 2nd intermission "quality over quantity". This is exactly right. Just because the Kings had lots of shots in the 2nd doesn't mean they were all threatening. Our team doesn't put pucks on net from every angle possible (except Goose) like some other teams. Shot counters aren't the end all of be all stat anyways. The final score is the ONLY thing that matters and we got 2 points and a shutout. There is no reason to ***** tonight.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:53 AM
  #160
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,682
vCash: 500
klein's pass on wilson's first goal was allsum

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:57 AM
  #161
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,887
vCash: 500
How's Josi been playing? I've noticed his TOI has been dramatically decreasing lately.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:37 AM
  #162
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
How's Josi been playing? I've noticed his TOI has been dramatically decreasing lately.
not playing with weber anymore. he's doing fine. our bottom 4 sucked at times so guys got moved a bit

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:05 AM
  #163
Neal Before Zod
Registered User
 
Neal Before Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
How's Josi been playing? I've noticed his TOI has been dramatically decreasing lately.
As NoNecks said, he's doing fine...holding his own. Nothing spectacular, though.

I'll add that the reduction in ice time is directly related to the Preds playing 7 D (Blum is eating up about 10-12 total D minutes from everyone not named Shea Weber).

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:57 AM
  #164
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
Josi has been solid. But we haven't lost since we started running 7 dmen so everyone's minutes have probably gone down a little.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:26 AM
  #165
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,028
vCash: 500
Here's Trotz's quote in the postgame when asked about Weber's play:

Quote:
“I haven’t been concerned at all. You can stop right there. You can stop right there. You are saying he is not playing well. I am telling you, he is playing Norris Trophy. He is playing Norris Trophy caliber. I don’t care if he gets any points. You do obviously. I don’t. Shea cares about winning and we have been winning and that’s the most important thing. He plays every night against the top guys in the league. He (didn’t) score a goal last year in the first ten games and he ended up with 19 or 18 last year. I am not worried about him. That’s the end of the subject. He is a top defenseman. There wouldn’t be another defenseman I would trade him for. I don’t give a crap if he gets a point and he doesn’t either. We just worry about winning and that’s what we are doing. That’s the end I am going to talk about that.”
I somewhat agree. He'll come around.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:01 AM
  #166
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Great game at the Bridge....

Good to see Rinne has his mojo back. Wilson was a beast and Klein needs to jump down in the play more, it was sweet to see.

Hannan, the more I see, the more I really like him. Physical, smart. I wish he and Weber would talk more.

Weber... I can't judge the "positioning" play , but he's struggling and looks a little out of sync. My main problem with Weber is he doesn't stick up for his teammates. Wilson gets smashed, Pekka gets pushed...........and he does nothing. Frankly what difference does it make what a physical beast he is, if he doesn't use it on the ice. He's lost his physical edge, imo.

Really liked the Wilson,Leggy, Bourque line.

It was hard to keep up with the lines a little since we played 7 D..

Now, if this gdt is supposed to be full of , "oh, we were so awesome", "hurray" and predator fanboys that can't look at the team honestly........put it in the gdt thread ---- don't post your thoughts or we'll all criticize you. Are we supposed to be lemmings and follow the herd? I don't think so.

Why get your panties in a wad and jump on someone who just is posting his thoughts on the play of the team? Why?

Frankly, I want all kinds of opinions about what people like/dislike about how the team is playing. It's boring if we all go "yea, team, we're awesome".

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
  #167
luckofirish8
Registered User
 
luckofirish8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
IMO the Preds can't afford to have Weber sticking up for everyone and taken unnecessary penalties in doing so. He's far to important for our defense at the moment.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
  #168
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
Weber took up for a teammate in game 1 if I remember correctly and sat for 5 min and the Jackoffs scored with him in the box. He doesn't need to fight.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
  #169
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
I do agree with your points about Weber being too valuable to fight.

But I was sitting close last night, and the difference in the "physicality" play between Weber and Hannan was noticeable.
I think you can be "physical" and dominating and not fight. But every since the start of last season and the "shannahammer", Weber has toned it down too much..

Hannan checks people hard and Weber bumps into them....

oh, I went and watched Barry's presser.... He let the presser have it about Weber and points... It was awesome to see, go watch it, it's at the end. Someone above me quoted it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
  #170
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Hmmm.. we've scored 6 goals last game, against STL no less, and then today we scored three, against LA. We are not relying on Pekka near as much as you claim. Sure earlier in the season we played worst offensively but not so much the past 4 games when the preds seemed to wake up.

EDIT: and the fact you can distinguish luck from talent and work ethic is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Your posts really just leave me speechless- after beating two teams a combined 9-1, you still spend way more time detailing all the problems we have. I guess anything short of perfection is just not good enough??? Once again, I am not a person who is just singing sunshine all the time- if we struggle to put shots on net or score or anything else in games where we ACTUALLY NEED IT, I will be right here with you complaining about it.

But this 4 game winning streak the team has put together is pretty amazing, and I am not going to spend more energy nit picking the negatives than I am being thrilled about the start we are off to.

(And on a side note- did you happen to watch the Blues/Wings game? Very similar to our game there Tuesday- Wings had a 4-1 lead after 2- in the third period, they had TWO shots on goal- that is because, as I pointed out in that game thread, when ANY team in ANY sport builds a huge lead, they always let up offensively- always. So should Detroit fans be worried about the shots on goal after the game tonight or happy about a great road win?)
Name one team that consistently scores on over 25% of the shots it takes over the course of a season. The best is average around 10% ... including healthy Pittsburgh clubs, Vancouver, Chicago over the past few seasons. What we've done over the past two games is unsustainable based on the past 85+ seasons of hockey history. The same goes for Pekka's run the past few games. If he were to obliterate the all time save percentage by 2%, he'd still allow more than a goal per game. I am not counting on this team to maintain averages never before seen in the game over a stretch of 40 games. The past two games are anomalies.

What were we doing offensively in the St Louis game to let up from? The Preds had 11 shots over the first 29 minutes of play. 8 over the next 30 minutes even with all of the penalties taken by our boys. Last night, did we "ease up" with a one goal lead to explain no SOG for a 9 minute stretch covering the end of the first through just over 5mins elapsed in the second (an unscreened wrister by Gaustad from the right halfboards after repeated icings and an inability to get into the offensive zone with any sort of control for the first five minutes of the 2nd period)? We had one decent ES rush in the first ten minutes of the 2nd period which resulted in Wilson's goal ... goal two on shot number nine.

Actually watching the games reveals that we're not doing a whole lot different offensively over the past two games compared to the first eight ... just the results are different. Wilson has generated the same chances all season, two of his assists were the direct result of 4th liners going to the net in conjunction with a Wilson shot ... again, something they've been doing all season. Klein's goal was a play he attempts several times per game ... the shot at the net from just above the circle on our right looking for a redirect or to generate a rebound. The Wilson PP goal last night was a play we try on just about every clean faceoff win with the man advantage ... win faceoff, pass to point, shoot from point, look for the rebound. Earlier in the season our results were below what could be expected from a few players based on what they were doing on the ice ... now we're getting far more than can be reasonably expected.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
  #171
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Actually watching the games reveals that we're not doing a whole lot different offensively over the past two games compared to the first eight ... just the results are different. Wilson has generated the same chances all season, two of his assists were the direct result of 4th liners going to the net in conjunction with a Wilson shot ... again, something they've been doing all season. Klein's goal was a play he attempts several times per game ... the shot at the net from just above the circle on our right looking for a redirect or to generate a rebound. The Wilson PP goal last night was a play we try on just about every clean faceoff win with the man advantage ... win faceoff, pass to point, shoot from point, look for the rebound. Earlier in the season our results were below what could be expected from a few players based on what they were doing on the ice ... now we're getting far more than can be reasonably expected.
If we're doing the same things and the results are different, then one of two things is happening:

1) We're getting lucky (apparently your theory)
2) Our opponents are playing poorly (probably some truth to this, such as Quick not being his normal shutout self and Halak being injured)

However, I do see a big difference between the 4 games and the first 6. Starting against LA in LA, we finally woke up and decided we needed to play hard and aggressive to be successful. The first 6 games we sat back and tried to play defensive hockey. We were passive and soft. Now we're playing much harder and aggressive. That's likely going to result in more breaks the other way at some point, but Pekka is one of the best in the business at stopping a break when he has space.

You're certainly correct that our inability to clear the puck is a concern. We've got to improve in that area or things will go south.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
  #172
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
If we're doing the same things and the results are different, then one of two things is happening:

1) We're getting lucky (apparently your theory)
2) Our opponents are playing poorly (probably some truth to this, such as Quick not being his normal shutout self and Halak being injured)

However, I do see a big difference between the 4 games and the first 6. Starting against LA in LA, we finally woke up and decided we needed to play hard and aggressive to be successful. The first 6 games we sat back and tried to play defensive hockey. We were passive and soft. Now we're playing much harder and aggressive. That's likely going to result in more breaks the other way at some point, but Pekka is one of the best in the business at stopping a break when he has space.

You're certainly correct that our inability to clear the puck is a concern. We've got to improve in that area or things will go south.
The team had at least one 10-15 minute stretch where they'd control play and look good in all of the early games except the first one at St Louis where they pretty much were on their heels from the second they took the ice. Now we're getting an about 20-25 minute stretch. The thing is we're still on our heels for a good 15-20 minute stretch per game. We're not generating more quality chances than in earlier games .. we're just currently converting on them at an amazingly high rate which is not going to continue indefinitely. During the last two games opposing goalies combined for a whopping .727 sv% ... not gonna last for any protracted stretch.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  #173
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,885
vCash: 500
The game against the Yotes was our worst of the season.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  #174
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Preds are up to 4 straight wins. Are all those based on PredsChik?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
  #175
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Preds are up to 4 straight wins. Are all those based on PredsChik?
Yes; superstition go!

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.