HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Are we suggesting the lack of management from up top stems from ted being cheap on his presonal choices?
leonsis runs the team. he approves the budgets. mcphee has a budget. that budget includes his players, but also includes his office staff, his assistant gm's, the scouting staff and management of it and beyond.

leonsis spends to the salary cap or has in the past. but we also know he was a hardliner trying to reduce costs. if you think mcphee has a operating budget like ken holland's with the red wings, you are sorely mistaken.

i do know simply from word of mouth that the caps have a rep for going cheap on coaching. maybe thats mcphee. i would suggest since there's been some documentation that the caps scouting budget allowed for only young, inexperienced and inexpensive scouts pre fire sale and that mcphee had to lobby for more budget to keep his good scouts and hire experienced scouts. if that is true, it certainly fits that pattern that leonsis doesnt want to spend big money on his coaches.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
gogensgo

Very good coaches are generally the equivalent of paying for a 3-4th line player. The cost in relative terms to a hockey budget is peanuts considering the impact a coach has on the overall team. The problem with the Caps philosophy is that they limit their searches for coaches to just those that have played here and while you might get a good one once in awhile, I find that limiting searches for anything leads to less than best results.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
Very good coaches are generally the equivalent of paying for a 3-4th line player. The cost in relative terms to a hockey budget is peanuts considering the impact a coach has on the overall team. The problem with the Caps philosophy is that they limit their searches for coaches to just those that have played here and while you might get a good one once in awhile, I find that limiting searches for anything leads to less than best results.
how many caps coaches played for the capitals? wilson? hanlon? cassidy? boudreau?

hunter was a short term plug in and had a long relationship with the team. oates was considered a top candidate for several jobs and was far from the only interview.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how many caps coaches played for the capitals? wilson? hanlon? cassidy? boudreau?

hunter was a short term plug in and had a long relationship with the team. oates was considered a top candidate for several jobs and was far from the only interview.
What other jobs was Oates a top candidate for? I don't recall him being interviewed anywhere else.

Don't forget that Calle Johansson, Jim Johnson, Dean Evason, and Olaf Kolzig have all been on our staff in the past year. And Tim Hunter was a former Caps assistant coach.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:

Key term in bold. It's not limited to playing. There is almost always some kind of personal or organizational relationship in the final hire. They don't really go outside the cult...er...yeah, cult.

The common element among them all is they'd never been NHL head coaches. Wilson was with the expansion Ducks before the Caps, and was hired at the same time as GMGM, who went from VP of the Canucks to GM of the Caps.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
msrulo

I think Oates is a good coach, he talks about key stats like puck possesion and odd man rushes. It's only the team infront of him that's not contributing in defense and offense. McPhee needs to go, we'll have the same roster implications next season if he holds the iron throne.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

You're still on this coaching salary thing, txpd?

There is absolutely no chance it's an issue. Ted may be stupid, but he would really, really have to be a moron to let McPhee keep like 12 defensemen and Perreault's $1M on the roster while prohibiting a $1M or at most $2M increase in spending on an obviously crucial salary.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
leonsis runs the team. he approves the budgets. mcphee has a budget. that budget includes his players, but also includes his office staff, his assistant gm's, the scouting staff and management of it and beyond.

leonsis spends to the salary cap or has in the past. but we also know he was a hardliner trying to reduce costs. if you think mcphee has a operating budget like ken holland's with the red wings, you are sorely mistaken.

i do know simply from word of mouth that the caps have a rep for going cheap on coaching. maybe thats mcphee. i would suggest since there's been some documentation that the caps scouting budget allowed for only young, inexperienced and inexpensive scouts pre fire sale and that mcphee had to lobby for more budget to keep his good scouts and hire experienced scouts. if that is true, it certainly fits that pattern that leonsis doesnt want to spend big money on his coaches.
There is definitely a pattern here.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Capitlols

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
George McPhee just addressed #Caps start. Said penalties were most to blame. Also goaltending.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Well yeah, goaltending has been abysmal (to the tune of a .875 save percentage), but that 2.27 goals per game ain't helping.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
George McPhee just addressed #Caps start. Said penalties were most to blame. Also goaltending.
Ah... Good ol' George.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Here's my thought.

McPhee wasn't planning for a season. He was hoping against a season. He set this team up to miss this season. This would explain so much. It would explain the fact that he drafted players that wouldn't play here until next season at best. It would explain why he let Semin walk without replacing him. It would explain why we are far under the salary cap. It was also explain why Leonsis what a huge ******** during lockout negotiations (from what I've heard).

I'm trying to be reasonable about him. I think he just didn't plan on the Caps playing hockey. This shall be forever known as the lost season. It seems reasonable that he would try to plan ahead like this.

This is all a part of GMGM's master plan. The fact that the season actually happened was the curve ball he didn't see coming.

That or he's just incredibly dumb.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
G3 LesPaul

Annnnnd what's he gonna do to fix it??

Ding ding ding! Nothing!

Old
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Well, it is true.

Scoring certainly is a factor, but that's somewhat from them being always on the PK, and having a few guys under performing.

You can't win giving up all the 5 on 3s and the parade of penalties.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
Here's my thought.

McPhee wasn't planning for a season. He was hoping against a season. He set this team up to miss this season. This would explain so much. It would explain the fact that he drafted players that wouldn't play here until next season at best. It would explain why he let Semin walk without replacing him. It would explain why we are far under the salary cap. It was also explain why Leonsis what a huge ******** during lockout negotiations (from what I've heard).

I'm trying to be reasonable about him. I think he just didn't plan on the Caps playing hockey. This shall be forever known as the lost season. It seems reasonable that he would try to plan ahead like this.

This is all a part of GMGM's master plan. The fact that the season actually happened was the curve ball he didn't see coming.

Thats an interesting take that makes a little sense

Old
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Here's my thought.

You mean like trading for a guy who is going to be a UFA at the end of this season whether we played or not (Ribiero)?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Capitlols

He left out the fact that the defense has been an abomination.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Thats an interesting take that makes a little sense
Except that you don't trade Eakin and a second rounder for a player that you'd hope would never suit up for you.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Carlzner

If he wasn't planning for a season he wouldn't have traded a 2nd + Eakin for Ribeiro.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Which to him means...what? At even strength they're still among the worst in the league (net -10 with Columbus bottoming out at -13).

Caps are 13th in the league in PIM/game, but are 28th in times shorthanded. They take a lot of minor penalties. Why? Bad teams CAN take a lot of penalties, but it's not always the penalties that make them bad. If you look at the stats for minors taken by team, there is no correlation between minors and standings points at all.

And you can always get better goaltending to fix some problems, but not all. Some goals are softies, some are about team defense.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
You mean like trading for a guy who is going to be a UFA at the end of this season whether we played or not (Ribiero)?
Good point.

Maybe he viewed Ribeiro as filler?

I'm grasping, I know. I am just trying to make some sense of how he's seemingly demolished this roster.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Good point.

Maybe he viewed Ribeiro as filler?

I'm grasping, I know. I am just trying to make some sense of how he's seemingly demolished this roster.
If I had tho guess, I'd bet he planned on spending to the Cap, or close to it, and Leonsis nixed that due to the pending lockout. Thus, he was left with a poorly constructed roster (of his own doing) that he couldn't augment in any significant manner.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Capitlols

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
#Caps' McPhee says start is his "responsibility." Also added he won't be rash. "We're not gonna blow it up."

Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
tycoonheart

Stephen Whyno
#Caps' McPhee says start is his "responsibility." Also added he won't be rash. "We're not gonna blow it up."

Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If I had tho guess, I'd bet he planned on spending to the Cap, or close to it, and Leonsis nixed that due to the pending lockout. Thus, he was left with a poorly constructed roster (of his own doing) that he couldn't augment in any significant manner.
My guess is they just didn't want to handcuff themselves beyond this season due to the assumed cap drop. It's always about down the line.

Closed Thread