HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread | Part II: "The Winger Mystery Deepens"

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
We saw how well that plan worked this past offseason. Our big forwaed signing was tanner glass.....
I know, and trust me, I'm lobbying congress to allow us to impose the death penalty on Shero for trying - but ultimately being unable to force them - to sign the best free agents last year. I guess we'll just be stuck with a guy who has a plan and won't panic or overreact to execute that plan.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
As much as everyone thinks Dupuis should be replaced in the top 6, and I've been one of them...all he's doing right now is producing at a 30 goal, 60 point pace. And that line has been clicking. Worth noting.
I still think right now the most important thing is get someone for the Malkin line, Sid's line can stay like this the rest of the way and in the off season we can go after a winger to play along Sid and Koon

Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I still think right now the most important thing is get someone for the Malkin line, Sid's line can stay like this the rest of the way and in the off season we can go after a winger to play along Sid and Koon
Or what if Shero went out and got someone for Sids line and then put Kunitz with Malkin?

Dupuis - Crosby - XXX
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Old
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
As much as everyone thinks Dupuis should be replaced in the top 6, and I've been one of them...all he's doing right now is producing at a 30 goal, 60 point pace. And that line has been clicking. Worth noting.
The thing is, Dupuis historically produces the exact same regardless of what line he's on.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:21 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I mentioned this yesterday + their defense is being exposed big time in the past couple of games, maybe they would pull the trigger now and make this kind of move
Cue Kennedy and Niskanen . . .

Quote:
Sid's line can't stay the way it is if you expect to go far in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing is, Dupuis historically produces the exact same regardless of what line he's on.
Like say last year with Staal as his pivot for 60 games?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't think that line will continue to produce in the playoffs, especially since the Pens no longer have a dangerously offensive 3rd line. If they make no moves heading into the playoffs, they will have, imo, 2 partial scoring lines and their bottom-6. If they Make a move for Geno's line, they'll have 1 full scoring line and Sid. Teams will use their top pairing on Geno's line and will just smother Sid when that line is on the ice, forcing Dupuis and Kunitz to beat them.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
deakka

Islanders may be looking to move someone when Bailey comes back. You think Okposo would be available?

Not lighting it up this year, but had 24 goals and 45 points last season and only carries 2.8m caphit.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Maybe, but I don't think that line will continue to produce in the playoffs, especially since the Pens no longer have a dangerously offensive 3rd line. If they make no moves heading into the playoffs, they will have, imo, 2 partial scoring lines and their bottom-6. If they Make a move for Geno's line, they'll have 1 full scoring line and Sid. Teams will use their top pairing on Geno's line and will just smother Sid when that line is on the ice, forcing Dupuis and Kunitz to beat them.
Yep, and they'll do the opposite in the L2 LW situation isn't addressed (Neal, while he's got that incredible shot, isn't a playmaker who beats you).

Which is why ______(fill in blank)_______________

Old
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
mpp9

Pietrangelo has been pretty garbage defensively this season. He's trying to win the Norris with point totals. Still say putting Niskanen on his LD would be an upgrade there.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
If you wanted Dupuis in the top six. I don't. I want to see the Pens unleash pure, unadulterated **** on the opposition in the playoffs. For example, Kunitz-Sid-Iggy, Kulie-Geno-Neal does that, especially if you chuck in a checking line like Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis and a true energy line like Glass-Vitale-Adams.
There's nothing that says Shero can't get two wingers and give them both to Crosby while moving Kunitz to Malkin's line. Maybe you see if you can get both Seto and Bouchard from Minny (although I don't see that happening unless they're out of the playoff picture) and put them both with Sid. Seto has (or at least had) the ability to forecheck and lay the body.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Pietrangelo has been pretty garbage defensively this season. He's trying to win the Norris with point totals. Still say putting Niskanen on his LD would be an upgrade there.
Cue the Kennedy + Niskanen for Stewart music . . .

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
There's nothing that says Shero can't get two wingers and give them both to Crosby while moving Kunitz to Malkin's line. Maybe you see if you can get both Seto and Bouchard from Minny (although I don't see that happening unless they're out of the playoff picture) and put them both with Sid. Seto has (or at least had) the ability to forecheck and lay the body.
No, there's nothing to say that, and it would be fine if it worked out that way.

Seto and Bouchard doesn't work for me though. One of the two has to bring a Kunitz or better physical element.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Cue the Kennedy + Niskanen for Stewart music . . .
i feel like D'Agostini would be coming back in that trade. this Blues tailspin is good for us, the sooner they figure out that the likes of Cole and Redden won't cut as their Norris-candidate's partner, they sooner we can make a trade.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I wouldn't re-sign Dupuis after this season (I'd look for an upgrade in skill), and if we could include him in a winger trade (or Cooke or Kennedy for that matter), I'd definitely do that.

But as we're currently constructed, Dupuis' best spot in the lineup is at LW next to Crosby (with a new sniper on the right side and Kunitz back where he belongs with Malkin and Neal).

IMO.
If Dupuis wants to stay, and isn't making unreasonable contract demands (ie less than 2m), why wouldn't you keep him? He would be great on the 3rd line, and has the ability to jump up if there's injuries.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Anyone willing to try a Kunitz - Sid - Boychuk and Dupuis - Geno - Neal experiment?
Why not... worse case is it doesn't work.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i feel like D'Agostini would be coming back in that trade. this Blues tailspin is good for us, the sooner they figure out that the likes of Cole and Redden won't cut as their Norris-candidate's partner, they sooner we can make a trade.
D'Agostini does nothing for us. Stewart most assuredly does.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
I know, and trust me, I'm lobbying congress to allow us to impose the death penalty on Shero for trying - but ultimately being unable to force them - to sign the best free agents last year. I guess we'll just be stuck with a guy who has a plan and won't panic or overreact to execute that plan.
No, but Shero's best work has been trades, no signing free agents. We were not able to land a big fish this offseason. It's not like players are flocking to pittsburgh to play with Sid or Geno.

So it seems like a bad plan to wait around and expect a guy like perry to sign here.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
No, but Shero's best work has been trades, no signing free agents. We were not able to land a big fish this offseason. It's not like players are flocking to pittsburgh to play with Sid or Geno.

So it seems like a bad plan to wait around and expect a guy like perry to sign here.
Plus another thing no one seems to want to face and would rather dream instead: How are we getting a stud with a fat salary, giving Letang a raise, and possibly Malkin as well, when the cap is going down? It might be simpler than that (Letang from $3.5m to $5m on a long term, Malkin doesn't take a raise), but there's enough of a lack of wiggle room to dissect it, as opposed to just proclaiming that we want two more wingers, one of which is a big timer.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
JTG

We don't need a winger capable of 100 points. We need a couple wingers capable for 50, IMO.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
We don't need a winger capable of 100 points. We need a couple wingers capable for 50, IMO.
I think for Geno and Neal, we need a winger capable of 45-50 who brings to the table a set of characteristics and skills that have been discussed ad nauseum here.

I think for Sid, you need the winger to be more of a 60-65 point guy who brings some playmaking and finishing skill to the table.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
mpp9

Sid could use a guy who can help create off the rush and finish plays. Stewart fits that.

Geno could use a guy who can win board battles consistently. Kulemin fits that.

Those two are who I'd like on this team longterm.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Sid could use a guy who can help create off the rush and finish plays. Stewart fits that.

Geno could use a guy who can win board battles consistently. Kulemin fits that.

Those two are who I'd like on this team longterm.
I would have no objection IF Ray Shero did that. Suffice it to say, if he's got 9 prime assets (Nisky, the big six defensive prospects, Bennett, and his 1st) and can do what you suggest only moving 3 or maybe 4 at most, then he's really set things up quite nicely.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I don't think Stewart is plausible. I don't think the Blues need to make any trades save for depth/a grizzled Cups vet for a playoff run. They're one of the top 2-3 teams in the league IMO. I just don't see it.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
mpp9

Quote:
I would have no objection IF Ray Shero did that. Suffice it to say, if he's got 9 prime assets (Nisky, the big six defensive prospects, Bennett, and his 1st) and can do what you suggest only moving 3 or maybe 4 at most, then he's really set things up quite nicely.
With Despres and Bortuzzo looking like great fits here. Dumoulin able to step in in the very near future with Morrow right behind him. Maatta and Harrington are expendable IMO especially if they bring back two key pieces to our top six long term. Pair them with our 1st, Niskanen and a roster forward.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I don't think Stewart is plausible. I don't think the Blues need to make any trades save for depth/a grizzled Cups vet for a playoff run. They're one of the top 2-3 teams in the league IMO. I just don't see it.
Redden is a stopgap at best. Pietro needs a steady partner. Cole isn't ready. They want to take the next step in the postseason. Stewart isn't a part of their longterm plans and can be replaced especially if we send a guy like TK to fill in on their 3rd or 4th line.

Closed Thread