HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout impacts sports card dealers

Old
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Lockout impacts sports card dealers

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...s.html?cmp=rss

Quote:
Because the season started so late, card manufacturers chose not to include high-profile rookies such as Nail Yakupov in this season’s product lines.

That decision hits Saadeh Helou in the wallet. He’s owned Helou’s Sports Cards and Collectibles in Windsor, Ont., for 21 years.

“Normally, we have 14 or 15 sets a year and this year we’ll have six or seven sets. That’s going to hurt my business, for sure,” he said. “I’m very upset. It’s a huge impact.”

Helou predicts his overall sales will be down 50 per cent. Nearly three quarters of sales are hockey cards, he said.

Chris Carlin, the sports marketing and social media manager for card company Upper Deck, confirmed his company will produce fewer product lines and shorter product runs. However, he said some of the price points will be lowered.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Sad to hear. Honestly one victim of the lockout I hadn't considered before.... largely because I didn't know that people still bought sports cards!

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Sad to hear. Honestly one victim of the lockout I hadn't considered before.... largely because I didn't know that people still bought sports cards!
The popularity of sports cards tends to be cyclical. The funny part ofcourse is that the cards produced when the hobby is least popular are the most valuable.

I collected as a kid. I wanted to get into it again but there was too many different sets to keep track of and the cost has skyrocketed. I remember in the early 90's you could get a pack for 50cents for the chep opeechee and a few bucks for a higher quality. Now its like $7 or something.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
CerebralGenesis

You're telling me. My collection is half of what it normally is this year. Dang shame that there aren't any new rookie cards this year either.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Tinalera

There was a card dealer near where I live, when the 90's lockout occurred, it pretty much put him out of business. So about a year before the most recent lockout he JUST managed to get started again, now because of the new lockout he'll probably be done again.

Lockout devastates the card shop owners.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Sports card companies, dealers and such killed their own business.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

"14 or 15 sets per year"!? Wow, no wonder they are mostly worthless today.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Number of Sets does not equate to how many cards are made total. It's not worthless today. I'm sure most people now would probably assume that the hobby is similar to the 90s where everything was overproduced to hell and back making the majority of cards worth less than the cardboard they were printed on.

Sets now are way more limited in their production and a lot of products can carry significant value. This lockout hurts because a big part of the industry is driven by rookies and the decision to not include players who are debuting until next year in sets has caused the cancellation of some more successful sets and killed interest from a big part of the fan base as a whole.

Small card places without a second revenue stream will take a big hit until July.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
About 10 years ago, Upper Deck alone was putting out over 35 a year. Then there were several other companies in the marketplace as well.

I really wish that the NHL and PA would bring back the old cap on manufacturers, and cap on number of sets per manufacturer.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Leetch66

Hard to beat the old O Pee Chee cards from the late 60's and early 70's . Those were the days . I still remember putting a few Drydens in my bicycle spokes .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I collect hockey cards however I don't buy much from stores. This year, I bought none from stores (minus some randomly packed $1 packs from Dollarama with used cards). I still buy cards but they're from eBay or Sportlots or COMC (I prefer base cards anyways). The reason I bought none from Walmart or Toys R Us or wherever is because of the lockout, I don't wanna spend $ on the NHL. So if I buy a jersey then it'll be a replica knock-off and if I buy cards, they'll be used.

I know most people don't have the restraint with that boycott but I'm sure not in the mood to give the NHL $ (I understand the licenses for this have been paid in anyways but that's besides the point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Sports card companies, dealers and such killed their own business.
True, didn't listen to collector's, got greedy.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:09 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Cards are a big scam.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
About 10 years ago, Upper Deck alone was putting out over 35 a year. Then there were several other companies in the marketplace as well.

I really wish that the NHL and PA would bring back the old cap on manufacturers, and cap on number of sets per manufacturer.
yeah right, NHLPA and NHL like Money more than anything, they are going to turn down money to make more product.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote