HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals

Old
02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Capitals

As doom and gloom as things look right now, the Capitals still have a pretty bright future with young pieces to build around. I think it is pretty clear to everyone that the team that is assembled now in Washington isn't going to win much. The team should trade Alex Ovechkin to Colorado for O'Reilly++ and then sell Green, Ribeiro, and others at the deadline.

Hypothetically:

Alex Ovechkin for Ryan O'Reilly, Duncan Siemens, 2014 1st Rd. Pick.

I made it a 2014 1st rounder to make it less of a hit to Colorado if they finish low this year. Also, I'm not great with proposals so maybe Siemens can be switched to a lesser defensive prospect.

Capitals build around:

X-Backstrom-Forsberg
Kuznetsov-O'Reilly-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Siemens

Holtby

They also look like they are on their way to a high pick so insert a top forward prospect into that 1st line wing.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:13 AM
txpd

there is next to no chance that the capitals trade green. he is playing well and on a new multi year contract.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
WNY to NoVA

they ought to focus on getting a pipeline of solid goaltenders and puck moving defenders with actual DEFENSIVE ability

WNY to NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Should be on the caps board.

No one other than Caps fans care how the caps do.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
there is next to no chance that the capitals trade green. he is playing well and on a new multi year contract.
No offense, but Green is a major risk. When healthy, he is a stud. 6 million cap hit for a guy that has only played 81 games the last two years entering this season and his numbers aren't nearly as good, who will pay the assets it would take to acquire him, let alone his price tag.

I'm not sure right now he would have a big trade market.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Avs and caps could make good partners. Could see them using each other for a shake up. I don't think Ovie will ever be traded though.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:42 AM
AEKaki

I disagree. If Gretzky got traded, Ovechkin can.
The Caps can still be elite if they trade ovie for something good.
Ovie is a special player but i find that its all about him not about the team.
Which i don't mind cuz I'm a Pens fan...

AEKaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
MayDayMayDay

Was having this conversation the other day.

Buffalo gets:
Ovechkin +

Washington gets:
Stafford
Leino
Girgensons
2nd

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post

Buffalo gets:
Ovechkin +

Washington gets:
Stafford
Leino
Girgensons
2nd

It's not going to happen unless he asks for it.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
IceyDice

I'd do it from an Avs perspective but i'm a gambling man.

I feel like Washington would want another proven piece with upside though.

IceyDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Should be on the caps board.

No one other than Caps fans care how the caps do.
Exactly why I hate leaf threads.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
they ought to focus on getting a pipeline of solid goaltenders and puck moving defenders with actual DEFENSIVE ability
You ought to focus on knowing hockey if you don't think the Caps have a "pipeline of solid goaltenders" or "puck moving defenders with actual DEFENSIVE ability".

I know they've sucked this year. I've witnessed it many times in person, unfortunately. With that being said, the two things you brought up here are the least of the Caps concerns.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post

Buffalo gets:
Ovechkin +

Washington gets:
Stafford
Leino
Girgensons
2nd
Stafford is an enigma to the max. Could be a very good player in this league if he had any consistency. Leino has no value whatsoever.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
No offense, but Green is a major risk. When healthy, he is a stud. 6 million cap hit for a guy that has only played 81 games the last two years entering this season and his numbers aren't nearly as good, who will pay the assets it would take to acquire him, let alone his price tag.

Green WAS a major risk when nobody knew how he'd come to play this year. He had the groin surgery he should have had awhile back and now looks like he's 100% back. He'll never hit 30 goals again, but this Caps team will never be the offensive juggernaut it was before either.

He's much better in his own end than he gets credit for, he's a one-man breakout, and he's great on the PP. I don't think he's much of a risk anymore, unless you're holding on to the things that happened when he was hurting.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
backhandsauce

Caps would move him out West. The package they would get would be crazy.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
This is GMGM we're talking about. He has no clue on how to build an NHL defense. This goes back to when he became GM of the Caps. Take your pick of super defenders of UFAs and drafted: Dimitri Mirinov, Jean Luc-Grand Pierre, Kiwi, Schultz, Pokulok, Finley, Heward, Jurcina. The list is longer than that. The Caps need to focus on new management then those type of players.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
As doom and gloom as things look right now, the Capitals still have a pretty bright future with young pieces to build around. I think it is pretty clear to everyone that the team that is assembled now in Washington isn't going to win much. The team should trade Alex Ovechkin to Colorado for O'Reilly++ and then sell Green, Ribeiro, and others at the deadline.

Hypothetically:

Alex Ovechkin for Ryan O'Reilly, Duncan Siemens, 2014 1st Rd. Pick.

I made it a 2014 1st rounder to make it less of a hit to Colorado if they finish low this year. Also, I'm not great with proposals so maybe Siemens can be switched to a lesser defensive prospect.

Capitals build around:

X-Backstrom-Forsberg
Kuznetsov-O'Reilly-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Siemens

Holtby

They also look like they are on their way to a high pick so insert a top forward prospect into that 1st line wing.
If Colorado is balking at anyhting over around $4M for ROR, I doubt they want to add Ovechkin's $9.5 and give up good assets along with ROR to get him

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
Green WAS a major risk when nobody knew how he'd come to play this year. He had the groin surgery he should have had awhile back and now looks like he's 100% back. He'll never hit 30 goals again, but this Caps team will never be the offensive juggernaut it was before either.

He's much better in his own end than he gets credit for, he's a one-man breakout, and he's great on the PP. I don't think he's much of a risk anymore, unless you're holding on to the things that happened when he was hurting.
Agree to disagree on the not being a risk anymore. He missed 81 games in the previous two seasons, so there always remains a red flag unless he proves he can be durable this year. 10 or 11 games isn't a good sample size. I have the same thing with Perron in St. Louis. Would you trade a big chunk of future to vancouver for Ryan Kessler (Vancouver won't trade him, but an example) after he played five or six healthy games after having surgery in the off season like three years in a row and is sidelined for the start of the season?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Flames rebuilder

Ovy's one of the best players in the world, if he continues slumping and losing his star power in NA, I could see him bolting. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving up what it take to acquire him.

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Agree to disagree on the not being a risk anymore. He missed 81 games in the previous two seasons, so there always remains a red flag unless he proves he can be durable this year. 10 or 11 games isn't a good sample size. I have the same thing with Perron in St. Louis. Would you trade a big chunk of future to vancouver for Ryan Kessler (Vancouver won't trade him, but an example) after he played five or six healthy games after having surgery in the off season like three years in a row and is sidelined for the start of the season?
I think I'll be proven right over the course of this season, even if the Caps continue to struggle. Green has returned to form, but nobody is noticing because the team is terrible.

I do see your point, though. He missed a lot of time, but I firmly believe that's behind him now.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
MW6

Quote:

So Crosby with 73 games his last three seasons (including this one) doesn't interest you either because he's also injuryprone?
Green is a point from being tied for 11th in the leauge amongst defensemen, playing on the worst team in the league. I think the market for him is still pretty good!

edit: realized just now that you are a penguins fan and already have Crosby on your team, but you get my drift!

Last edited by MW6: 02-08-2013 at 01:42 PM.
MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote