HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl - Wsh

Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 500
Stl - Wsh

Stl:
Backstrom

Wsh:
Perron
Stewart
2nd

From what I've seen, Backstrom has not been playing the way he's capable of, and I think a change of scenery would do him good. Washington is in shambles right now, and I honestly don't see them trading Ovie, making Backstrom the next in line.

Blues roster would be:
McDonald-Backstrom-Tarasenko
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-D'Agostini
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Schwartz could even be sent down to Peoria, it's clear he needs to develop more physically. Bring up Porter and move Sobotka to the 3rd line if we have to.

Wash:
Perron-Ribeiro-Ovie
Wolski-Johnasson-Stewart
Chimera-Laich-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward

Not sure how the Caps roster would look, the above is just a guess. The trade gives them a lot more depth throughout the lineup IMO, and with guys like Forsberg and Kuznetsov coming up in a couple years, I think they're roster will look very strong.

What do Caps fans feel about this proposal? Any potential to hash out a deal here, or are you guys satisfied with Backstrom's performance thus far?

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Fallschirmyager

In short. No.

It makes no difference how poorly the team is playing this year. Without an ignorant over payment proposal the answer would be no. Backstrom is a corner stone type player not traded unless he demands it.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Stewie G

Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?
Pens fan here. It seems like Washington desperately needs quantity when Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle play with Ovie. They aren't in some slump, they are not a good team.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Pens fan here. It seems like Washington desperately needs quantity when Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle play with Ovie. They aren't in some slump, they are not a good team.
They may not be playing well, but my point remains. You don't sell top players in quality for quantity deals unless you are forced to. It is infinitely easier to find upgrades over players like Beagle and Crabb than it is to replace a player like Backstrom.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:
Well Perron is one of St. Louis' better players. This isn't quantity.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Kshahdoo

Blues should go for Ribeiro. Good playmaker is what they need.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
I would love to get Backstrom, dont see Wash trading him though. I would probably offer more than the OP as well.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
They may not be playing well, but my point remains. You don't sell top players in quality for quantity deals unless you are forced to. It is infinitely easier to find upgrades over players like Beagle and Crabb than it is to replace a player like Backstrom.
Actually, should Perron remain healthy and Stewart motivated, this isn't a bad deal for Washington. The second would also be a nice piece since its a deep draft. Backstrom is a great player, no doubt. However, there seems to be something missing from him the last two years and the start of this season. I have no clue if its the system or not, but something doesn't seem right.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
compared to Backstrom it absolutely is

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I'd call Perron and Stewart a little more than quantity. That said, it would take Schwartz, not the 2nd, as the third piece to get anyone's attention.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Fallschirmyager

IF GMGM decided to shop him you may have offered a decent return but as I said, in order to pry him away it will take an over payment. Fair market won't get the discussion rolling for a player the team doesn't want to move.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Actually, should Perron remain healthy and Stewart motivated, this isn't a bad deal for Washington. The second would also be a nice piece since its a deep draft. Backstrom is a great player, no doubt. However, there seems to be something missing from him the last two years and the start of this season. I have no clue if its the system or not, but something doesn't seem right.
Remove Backstrom from the Caps lineup and assume that Ribeiro doesn't stay. Then take a look at the Caps center depth for next year and tell me if you think the proposed trade would leave the Caps as a better team overall.

I'd rather the Caps take their chances that Backstrom returns to elite form than take a package of assets that have question marks of their own.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

This trade thread for Backstrom to the Blues may as well be a trade for Toews, & Jordan Staal IMO. And it's ironic the Blues could have drafted the above, but took Erik Johnson

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Not surprised you said this because you are a pens fan.

It's not like Crabb and Beagle were the best players we could find for ovy. They were teaching him a lesson about earning ice time and being more responsible.

They are definitely in a slump because just look at the past seasons over the past 5 years or so. That is basically the same team we have now with no major additions or losses, although our goaltending keeps changing. That is a team that won the presidents trophy, was predicted to win the cup by many for a couple years straight, won several division titles, and made the playoffs every year.

McPhee has put together a great team and it's just one of those things where nobody knows why they are playing so badly with all of the talent they have.

You can not honestly tell me that the Washington Capitals are not in a slump.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

i understand if Was fans say no and I might be biased as a Blues fan, but you really think its not a good deal?
Perron and Stewart are top6 wingers without a doubt and if you compare OPs deal with the Nash deal we have:

1 top-line forward for
2 top-6 forwards and IMO the players we offer are better than Dubinsky and Anisimov
cant say much about Erixon but I guess he'd wouldn't be worth much more than a 2nd

not to forget both are young and still have lot of potential and Perron has got a great contract

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
i understand if Was fans say no and I might be biased as a Blues fan, but you really think its not a good deal?
Perron and Stewart are top6 wingers without a doubt and if you compare OPs deal with the Nash deal we have:

1 top-line forward for
2 top-6 forwards and IMO the players we offer are better than Dubinsky and Anisimov
cant say much about Erixon but I guess he'd wouldn't be worth much more than a 2nd

not to forget both are young and still have lot of potential and Perron has got a great contract
Backstrom hasn't requested a trade, doesn't have a NTC, and the Caps near-term center depth is very thin. They have 0 motivation to trade him unless presented with an offer that would likely get a GM fired.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Backstrom hasn't requested a trade, doesn't have a NTC, and the Caps near-term center depth is very thin. They have 0 motivation to trade him unless presented with an offer that would likely get a GM fired.
ok, thats just fair. i just thought its a little unfair to say its only quantity we are offering

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
ok, thats just fair. i just thought its a little unfair to say its only quantity we are offering
The offer wouldn't be considered quantity for a large majority of players in the league. For a player of Backstrom's caliber though, just by sheer fact that the offer was 3 pieces for 1, means it is a quality for quantity type of deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
CarvinSigX

Perron
Stewart
Schwartz

Backstrom
Pick

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Get real. Caps won't trade Backstrom even for Pietrangelo.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
That's why George McPhee is the best GM in the business.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
That value is fair, but would leave a gaping hole at 1C for the Caps and 1D for STL.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
That value is fair, but would leave a gaping hole at 1C for the Caps and 1D for STL.
No, it's not. You don't trade a guy who's going to be in or just outside the Norris debate for a guy who I'm not even sure I wouldn't prefer less than 20 other centers.