HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[FLA/LA] Keaton Ellerby to LA for a 5th round pick

Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Boy, that 2007 1st round Top 10 was rather disappointing, huh?

01. Patrick Kane: Still with team who chose him.
02. James van Riemsdyk: Traded once for Luke Schenn.
03. Kyle Turris: Traded for 2nd round pick and David Rundblad.
04. Thomas Hickey: Lost on waivers.
05. Karl Alzner: Still with team who chose him.
06. Sam Gagner: Still with team who chose him.
07. Jakub Voracek: Traded in Jeff Carter deal
08. Zach Hamill: Traded for Chris Bourque (Then traded again for Casey Wellman)
09. Logan Couture: Still with team who chose him
10. Keaton Ellerby: Traded for 5th round pick

Only 4 still with their original teams and 3 players who were basically given away/traded for very litte.

02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
True that. Only 2 players, Kane and Couture, have met the expectations so far. Also 3 total busts (Hickey, Hamill, Ellerby). The rest 5 are serviceable players but nothing special at least yet.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
For all those saying "Florida got robbed" or "This could be another Grabner situation" this kid could barely crack the top 6 during his tenure here... He was only used in case of injuries or scratches.

Some Panther fans will say he didn't get enough playing time to actually show what he could do... I will say that after meeting him last year and watching his play, he needed a change of scenery. The only solid thing I can say about his game is his skating which he was highly touted for when being drafted. Other than that he gets beat one on one a lot, weak along the boards and has NO offensive game. If Jovo can make the top 6 and this kid can't... then I do not have a problem with getting a 5th for him. He had no place with the Panthers and would not have with the D men we have coming up.

I wish him luck and maybe he can put it together over in LA, but I expect to see him on waivers or let go as a FA this summer. Def a bust in my book.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
For all those saying "Florida got robbed" or "This could be another Grabner situation" this kid could barely crack the top 6 during his tenure here... He was only used in case of injuries or scratches.

Some Panther fans will say he didn't get enough playing time to actually show what he could do... I will say that after meeting him last year and watching his play, he needed a change of scenery. The only solid thing I can say about his game is his skating which he was highly touted for when being drafted. Other than that he gets beat one on one a lot, weak along the boards and has NO offensive game. If Jovo can make the top 6 and this kid can't... then I do not have a problem with getting a 5th for him. He had no place with the Panthers and would not have with the D men we have coming up.

I wish him luck and maybe he can put it together over in LA, but I expect to see him on waivers or let go as a FA this summer. Def a bust in my book.
It is interesting how different teams evaluate talent. Maybe the Kings see him as a player they can groom to be a lot better. DL isn't known to just randomly give up a draft pick for a known bust.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
He dug up the same logic that told him to put Micheal Grabner on waivers.
Or that time he traded Michael Frolik and everyone hated it. Oh wait, Frolik still shoots like a girl, nevermind.

Grabner put up 32 points in 78 games last year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
This shows that HF fans know nothing. When I asked what it would take to get him to EDM they were like 1st or 2nd. He went for a 5th, shows that we over value our players on our team and don't know what players are actually worth.
Who told you that? Those people were really not smart. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the last time Ellerby was worth that was about 5 years ago. Not every Panthers fan thought that. Ellerby is a bust who seems to be getting a little bit better recently. Not a big deal. He's a good skater and that's about it.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
It is interesting how different teams evaluate talent. Maybe the Kings see him as a player they can groom to be a lot better. DL isn't known to just randomly give up a draft pick for a known bust.
I think it is more about the player he is rather than the player he could be or could have been. His youth is a bonus, but overall the Kings need a tall defensive defenseman, and they don't care at all about offensive upside for this position. Ellerby slots in nicely where Greene used to be, much better than Muzzin or Campbell.

The player he is right now is exactly what the Kings need, and his youth gives us a good option going forward into the future in case we have to move or let go of one of Scuderi/Mitchell/Greene.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Madhatter73

His 1-way deal doomed him here... no room for him with Strachan playing as well as he is...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Really? Doesn't that 5th rounder pretty much tell you how the teams evaluate this talent? It's pretty much identical to the Loktionov deal earlier. 5˝ years after being drafted in the top 10 and still not a regular in the NHL, yeah, that's a "known bust" at this point.

Old
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think it is more about the player he is rather than the player he could be or could have been. His youth is a bonus, but overall the Kings need a tall defensive defenseman, and they don't care at all about offensive upside for this position. Ellerby slots in nicely where Greene used to be, much better than Muzzin or Campbell.

The player he is right now is exactly what the Kings need, and his youth gives us a good option going forward into the future in case we have to move or let go of one of Scuderi/Mitchell/Greene.
Kings basically need a pylon back there who can just block shots and make one solid outlet pass.

Boom!

Old
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
It was just a matter of when, where to and for what. Everyone knew to expect this after Ellerby was a healthy scratch for half of last season. There's no room for him when everyone is healthy, he deserved better.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
True that. Only 2 players, Kane and Couture, have met the expectations so far. Also 3 total busts (Hickey, Hamill, Ellerby). The rest 5 are serviceable players but nothing special at least yet.
Hickey isn't a bust yet, he may have a bright future on LI.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Only bad thing about this is it means Weber/Kaberle are worth an 8th rounder... maybe.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Having followed him since he was drafted and seeing how he's developed, I wanted to also add some scouting report to what I've noticed.

On the plus side:
- Ellerby has always been a solid north-south skater so thats a good asset for him to have.
- He has good size to play against the bigger forwards and on occasion uses his size well to hit
- Willing to fight if the need calls but he's not necessarily a fighter or frequently does fight

On the minus side:
- He always seemed to lack something to make him better than what he currently is as a bottom pairing d-man and from what I can see its the hockey IQ.
- I think that lack of hockey IQ leads him to take really bad penalties and inopertune times
- Doesnt seem to use his size enough unfortunately

I wish him luck in LA and think if utilized properly will be a solid bottom pairing d-man for his career. I dont really think there's much potential left there and so I guess Tallon was just moving him while he could.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Voracek has been playing very well for us in Philly. As far as Ellerby goes a change might help him. Still to me LA got a heck of a deal.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Really? Doesn't that 5th rounder pretty much tell you how the teams evaluate this talent? It's pretty much identical to the Loktionov deal earlier. 5˝ years after being drafted in the top 10 and still not a regular in the NHL, yeah, that's a "known bust" at this point.
You could have all the talent in the world, but if the team that drafted you doesn't develop you well in their system, then that plays a huge part of it.

How many times have players just sucked on certain teams only to be traded and become a lot better players. (Purcell, Moulson, Boyle)

Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

So this and the Lovejoy trade tell us there isn't a good market for 5-6 d-men.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Althoug true I think he is a bust for LA anyway. Waste of their pick. Potentially good for NYI.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
So this and the Lovejoy trade tell us there isn't a good market for 5-6 d-men.
I'd estimate it to be more of a gauge for borderline 6-7 dmen. They're depth fodder that could move up or down a notch on depth charts due to injuries.

I think if anything, it's a good indicator of how challenging it is to add a mid-pairing dman right now. Probably not too many available and the cost may be too high, so teams like the Kings and Ducks are just going for low risks that could eat up minutes until players return to health.

It's a small price to pay to maintain stability.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Having followed him since he was drafted and seeing how he's developed, I wanted to also add some scouting report to what I've noticed.

On the plus side:
- Ellerby has always been a solid north-south skater so thats a good asset for him to have.
- He has good size to play against the bigger forwards and on occasion uses his size well to hit
- Willing to fight if the need calls but he's not necessarily a fighter or frequently does fight

On the minus side:
- He always seemed to lack something to make him better than what he currently is as a bottom pairing d-man and from what I can see its the hockey IQ.
- I think that lack of hockey IQ leads him to take really bad penalties and inopertune times
- Doesnt seem to use his size enough unfortunately

I wish him luck in LA and think if utilized properly will be a solid bottom pairing d-man for his career. I dont really think there's much potential left there and so I guess Tallon was just moving him while he could.
Althou this is a pretty good scouting report does any other fan want to add or despute something that was said ?

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Well, looking at the Time on Ice/Game, Ellerby seems to be playing #6/7 minutes so a 5th rounder isn't too much a surprise.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
5˝ years after getting drafted as 4th overall and still not a regular in the NHL. Sorry but that's pretty much the definition of a bust.

Quote:
Voracek has been playing very well for us in Philly.
Agreed, hence the serviceable player.

Quote:
How many times have players just sucked on certain teams only to be traded and become a lot better players. (Purcell, Moulson, Boyle)
And how many times not? I'm no saying it won't happen, but I'd be extremely surprised just based on odds, not to even look at the player himself.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

01. Patrick Kane: Still with team who chose him.
02. James van Riemsdyk: Traded once for Luke Schenn.
03. Kyle Turris: Traded for 2nd round pick and David Rundblad.
04. Thomas Hickey: Lost on waivers.
05. Karl Alzner: Still with team who chose him.
06. Sam Gagner: Still with team who chose him.
07. Jakub Voracek: Traded in Jeff Carter deal
08. Zach Hamill: Traded for Chris Bourque (Then traded again for Casey Wellman)
09. Logan Couture: Still with team who chose him
10. Keaton Ellerby: Traded for 5th round pick

Only 4 still with their original teams and 3 players who were basically given away/traded for very litte.
Zach Hamill was also on waivers twice.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
SirPaste

Great trade by LA

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
damacles1156

The Kid is exactly what the Kings need. Muzzin is not using his size, and teams are targeting him.

Great trade by Lombardi. If Ellerby elevates his play, the Kings can use him on the second paring with Slava.

That would greatly help out Scuds/Drew, Scuds/Drew are playing way too many minutes.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-08-2013 at 12:55 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote