HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
  #51
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
the words out on this big boy but anthony mantha from Val d’Or in the Q is just a manchild and a flat out scary player. he could be on his way to the top 30.

huge, fast with a filthy shot. hes 6'3 but has an absolutely beautiful NHL stride. he hits full speed quickly and can unleash a deadly wrist shot. scores in bunches. a true sniper with a really wicked lazer shot.

hes not without his detractors. some say unmotivated and others inconsistent. i say keep criticizing him enough so he drops into our lap.

a kid i really really love.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  #52
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Right now we have 47 players signed to NYR contracts.

Miller will count against the 50 number next year
As will MSC
Most likely Noreau and McColgan will also get contracts
A big ?? is Ceresnak IMO
College kids (Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty) will most likely stay in school another year, at least
Do not see us signing the Euros in the org either (Fast & Lindberg are already signed and will be here for camp)

That makes it 51(52?) players contracted.

But there will be a lot of players that are also probably goners
A bit early to speculate - but maybe something like:

UFAs (likely gone)
Eminger, Halpern?, Gilroy ??, Collins, Segal, Vernace ?

RFAs (will likely resign)
McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Ferriero, Talbot, Mashinter, Parlett,

RFAs (likely gone)
Sauer , Delisle, Niemi, Pyett

Meaning somewhere between 6-10 roster spots left to fill...after signing our prospects that already are in the org
Will probably not be signing any new draft picks either, meaning a couple or more chances to take some flyers IMO
So the summer of the season will start off with 31 contracts. Eminger, McD, Step, Hags, Ferry, Talbot, MASH, and Gilroy will resign. Halpern might. They better get rid of Collins, Segal, Parlett, Vernace, Delilse, and Pyett. Sauer (hopefully!!!) will be resigned as well and I think that Niemi will get another shot, too. So assuming that happens (and Halpern walks), that gives us 41 contracts. They'll probably sign Noreau and McColgan on ELC and let Ceresnak go. The NCAA players will stick with their schools. So that now leaves us with 43 contracts. Seven available to use.

We have 1 2nd, 3 3rds, 1 4th, 1 6th. With these we have to get a goalie!! Probably with one of the 3rds or maybe even the 4th. Goalies I'd like to get are Grosenick (NCAA), Jarry (WHL), Patterson (OHL), Laurikainen (WHL), Bartosak (WHL), and Hartzell (NCAA). Comrie (WHL) may fall back because of a season ending injury, but would be a great pick up. With the 2nd I have a huge feeling that NYR will grab 6'7"/200lbs defenseman Sam Morin. That would be a nice pick, but others around the Rangers 2nd could be Wilhelm Westlund (6'0"/184lbs-D), Jacob de la Rose (6'2"/189lbs-LW), or Ian McCoshen (6'2"/207lbs-D). They should definitely use a pick on Myles Bell.

Undrafted FA's are everywhere. With one or two of the seven contracts we have, we could use it on players like Bell, Straka, and/or Sustr. Others I have noticed are Charlie Sarault (OHL), Ben Duffy (the Q), Josh Currie (the Q), Sven Andrighetto (the Q), JS Dea (the Q), JC Lipon (WHL), Curtis Valk (WHL), Justin Feser (WHL), Alex Gogolev (WHL), Elgin Pearce (WHL), Alessio Bertaggia (WHL), Adam Lowry (WHL), and Zach Franko (WHL). Also loving Lethbridge Hurricanes forward Jaimen Yakubowski. Don't really know any Euros other than Joel Vermin, Albert Yarullin, and Miro Aaltonen. Joel apparently getting a ton of interest by NYR. Yarullin looked very good during the WJC and so was Aaltonen until he got knocked out of the tourney.

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 07:05 AM
  #53
Kokoschka
Registered User
 
Kokoschka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
If he's left in the 3rd round I'd like the Rangers to look into drafting Marko Dano (currently with Slovan Bratislava). Plays really solid in the KHL at age 18, shows some skill and is very gritty and tough despite not being big. Good along the boards. Good strength despite looking really thin and small. Good skater as well, can be kind of a In Your Face type of player if he's on. Think a more skilled version of Sean Avery minus the whole drama.

The risk with him is, you can't be sure if he's coming to NA, but if he's available late in the 3rd round, I'd be willing to gamble one of our picks.

I don't see it happening though bc the NYR organization drafted NA- & SWE-heavy recently (and successfully so).

Kokoschka is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
  #54
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 25,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the words out on this big boy but anthony mantha from Val d’Or in the Q is just a manchild and a flat out scary player. he could be on his way to the top 30.

huge, fast with a filthy shot. hes 6'3 but has an absolutely beautiful NHL stride. he hits full speed quickly and can unleash a deadly wrist shot. scores in bunches. a true sniper with a really wicked lazer shot.

hes not without his detractors. some say unmotivated and others inconsistent. i say keep criticizing him enough so he drops into our lap.

a kid i really really love.
Plenty of people know him and like him. I could see some teams stay away but he's got legit skills and pro size, I don't see him too far outside the first round if he slips.

Did you read this new article just posted this week?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...42080656,d.cWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
If he's left in the 3rd round I'd like the Rangers to look into drafting Marko Dano (currently with Slovan Bratislava). Plays really solid in the KHL at age 18, shows some skill and is very gritty and tough despite not being big. Good along the boards. Good strength despite looking really thin and small. Good skater as well, can be kind of a In Your Face type of player if he's on. Think a more skilled version of Sean Avery minus the whole drama.

The risk with him is, you can't be sure if he's coming to NA, but if he's available late in the 3rd round, I'd be willing to gamble one of our picks.

I don't see it happening though bc the NYR organization drafted NA- & SWE-heavy recently (and successfully so).
Good call, Dano is the kind of pick I can see us taking with one of three 3rd rounders.


Last edited by Bluenote13: 02-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
  #55
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 20,162
vCash: 500
Yeah I'd be really surprised to see Mantha slip out of the first round.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
  #56
Kreider Luvs Goalies
Registered User
 
Kreider Luvs Goalies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 167
Any chance we pick up Paul Ranger for cheap to add depth?

Kreider Luvs Goalies is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  #57
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah I'd be really surprised to see Mantha slip out of the first round.
He was getting props on the Hockey Prospects show on XM Sirius this past weekend.

jas is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
  #58
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He was getting props on the Hockey Prospects show on XM Sirius this past weekend.
hes had a good run recently.

his game has holes. some detractors say hes invisible when hes not scoring. hes also an older kid relatively speaking. hes an offensive player first. his 2 way play isnt developed.

ive seen enough of him to know hes got a pro body, high end skating and a filthy shot. hes gonna be a load to handle down low with his size but his skating is whats really special. hes got serious wheels for a kid that tall.

i hope like heck hes there at the end of round 1 or early 2 cause hes a kid you make a play for. warts and all.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
  #59
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 20,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He was getting props on the Hockey Prospects show on XM Sirius this past weekend.
He's really a phenomenal skater for someone his size. Incredibly agile and light on his feet. Really looks like a man amongst boys in the Q. Good head on his shoulders which is always a positive with a kid that talented.

Brett Ritchie showed similar flashes in his draft year, but it took him longer to put it all together. Mantha has the same kind of skillset.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
  #60
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,163
vCash: 500
The knock on Mantha on the show was his compete level. When I hear that kind of criticism, I have my doubts as to such a player being a target of Clark and Gorton.

jas is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  #61
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah I'd be really surprised to see Mantha slip out of the first round.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
If he's left in the 3rd round I'd like the Rangers to look into drafting Marko Dano (currently with Slovan Bratislava). Plays really solid in the KHL at age 18, shows some skill and is very gritty and tough despite not being big. Good along the boards. Good strength despite looking really thin and small. Good skater as well, can be kind of a In Your Face type of player if he's on. Think a more skilled version of Sean Avery minus the whole drama.

The risk with him is, you can't be sure if he's coming to NA, but if he's available late in the 3rd round, I'd be willing to gamble one of our picks.

I don't see it happening though bc the NYR organization drafted NA- & SWE-heavy recently (and successfully so).
I think the Rangers would pass on him. Good player, but has all those "if" factors like being small and not coming to NA. I'd rather use our 3rds for something else.

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
  #62
NYR Viper
Registered User
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130...d-State-looms-

Minnesota is on TV tonight. Fox Sports College channel.

Michigan-Notre Dame on CBS College Sports tonight.
Could the Rangers look at Schmidt? Built-up chemistry already with Skjei, seems like a leader and has good offensive stats. ANyone have a scouting report on him?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
  #63
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 25,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Could the Rangers look at Schmidt? Built-up chemistry already with Skjei, seems like a leader and has good offensive stats. ANyone have a scouting report on him?
Nate Schmidt 6'1 200 D St Cloud(HS) - Scoring Dman, has good hockey sense, great acceleration on the rush and has good hands. Highly sought after HS player will attend U of Minnesota.

That was from my 2009 draft writeup.

He was one of my faves in later rounds. I watched whole games on video, he always stood out and he skated very well. He rushes the puck like a forward, but has really come on with good defensive play the last few seasons. Throw in the fact he's a Captain of a top College program, plays bigger than his size, and has been a clutch player.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
  #64
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nate Schmidt 6'1 200 D St Cloud(HS) - Scoring Dman, has good hockey sense, great acceleration on the rush and has good hands. Highly sought after HS player will attend U of Minnesota.

That was from my 2009 draft writeup.

He was one of my faves in later rounds. I watched whole games on video, he always stood out and he skated very well. He rushes the puck like a forward, but has really come on with good defensive play the last few seasons. Throw in the fact he's a Captain of a top College program, plays bigger than his size, and has been a clutch player.
I could see us taking a flyer on Schmidt especially hearing that he is making a lot of good chemistry with Skjei.

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  #65
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Anyone know about Swedish goaltender Joel Lassinantti? Ola?

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
  #66
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Anyone know about Swedish goaltender Joel Lassinantti? Ola?
No
Pass

BBKers is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  #67
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
No
Pass
Oh okay, seems pretty blunt. Reason why?

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:18 PM
  #68
Antithesis
Member Todd White?
 
Antithesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,601
vCash: 500
Carey with a goal and two assists tonight to put him at 19-21-40 in 27 games.

Antithesis is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
  #69
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
who is on quinnipiac thats made them so good?

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
  #70
Made Dan
Registered User
 
Made Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,336
vCash: 500
So is Cole Bardreau from Cornell a free agent after this year? I know he got hurt recently, though...

Made Dan is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
  #71
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 12,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
who is on quinnipiac thats made them so good?
Was wondering the same thing. There have to be some diamonds in the rough there, no?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 12:12 AM
  #72
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,510
vCash: 500
I wish the Rangers drafted someone like Spencer Martin so I can personally keep tabs on him. We have no OHL prospects that I can follow lol.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
  #73
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I wish the Rangers drafted someone like Spencer Martin so I can personally keep tabs on him. We have no OHL prospects that I can follow lol.
He's a top goalie prospect right now. I doubt he will be taken with our 2nd & doubt he will be around when the 3rd round comes. Love to have him though.

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 05:31 AM
  #74
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Oh okay, seems pretty blunt. Reason why?
A bit small for NHL
Also heard there is a head problem there causing inconsistency
I asked someone in Sveedin that knows about him

He also said that if you want a similar sized goalie thatīs developing good you should look at a late bloomer in Sebastian Idoff instead
22 yo though. But goalies develop late in Sweden (look at Fasth now in Anaheim)
Off the wall stuff though
For a 7th or so... A real sleeper pick.

BBKers is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 05:34 AM
  #75
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
A bit small for NHL
Also heard there is a head problem there causing inconsistency
I asked someone in Sveedin that knows about him

He also said that if you want a similar sized goalie thatīs developing good you should look at a late bloomer in Sebastian Idoff instead
22 yo though. But goalies develop late in Sweden (look at Fasth now in Anaheim)
Off the wall stuff though
For a 7th or so... A real sleeper pick.
hmm, we do have a bit of history with 7th rnd Swedish goalies......

mike14 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2016 All Rights Reserved.