HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Randy Robitaille

Old
07-04-2006, 11:34 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime View Post
I've waited 4 days for something to happen...and this is it?

**** Bobby Clarke. He's really lost it. He thinks because a bunch of nobodies from Buffalo beat his team, that if he signs a bunch of nobodies, maybe they'll over-achieve too and get him to the conference final?

This is ********. This team is going to suck a lot of ***. Of course I'll stand by and go down with the ship, but I've given up hope of signing anyone of quality.

Prove me wrong Bobby, prove me wrong.

Yea I agree he is basically just signing fast small players that if put together have the ability to swarm like buffalo can. to be honest with you i think that is a good i dea. Buffalo is a very dangerous and i would love to have thes fast guys together and start swarming...imagine a buffalo system with better players like forsber over briere and gagne over afinagenov nitty over miller and pitkanen over cambel...if we do adopt that system id be very happy. of course we are going to need the team to click buffalo sucked the first 20 games then they were better then they didnt lose for about 20 games. they are ateam that is always dangerous and id love to have that kind of threat.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:45 AM
mikedifr

Well, here is how I look at it, our top 7 players are the following (counting Forsberg and assuming Dimo is still with Carter)

Gagne, Forsberg, Knuble, Umberger, Carter, Dimo, Richards

Clarke has now signed two guys that are bottom six players and another (Tapper) that can fill in on the bottom six.

Does this mean anything for Handzus and/or Primeau? Maybe a trade is in the works and he is loading up on depth??? I much rather take the money we gave to Murray, Tapper and Robitaille and spend on one good 2nd liner but that is just me.

We still have plenty of time so hopefully something is worked out, but to date, Cap or no Cap, Clarke looks clueless IMO

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Lupul*

Clarke has a simple but good plan. Ice the exact same team as last year, but with much more depth in case of injuries.

Last edited by Lupul*: 07-05-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:07 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

This offseason just keeps getting better and better. From Marty Murray to Brad Tapper to Nolan Baumgartner to Lars Jonsson to Randy Robitaille. We're filling up with scrubs. Maybe the next guy they can sign to a contract is Bobby Dollas and maybe see about the possibility of acquiring Jamie Heward and Jason Marshall. But what scrub team wouldn't be complete without a scrub goalie. Freddie Brathwaite and Kevin Weekes certainly come to mind. Or, how about this blast from the past.....Peter Ing. Why not invite all the scrubs to Philadelphia.........

On a serious note though, Clarke has to get down to business and get our RFAs signed. Wouldn't it be something if Gagne took the team to arbitration? It seems he might have to do that though to get some sort of contract. As for Pitkanen, Umberger and Niittymaki, I guess the saying no news is good news pertains here.

I think we can all agree that it's going to get ugly. Last season's free agent rampage has really bit this team and we're stuck with those horrendous contracts of Rathje and Hatcher. We're also stuck with the Primeau contract and there just seems to be no end in sight in terms of getting out of all these bad deals.

And who was it on here who said that the Flyers don't have any bad contracts that they can't get out from under????????

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:10 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This offseason just keeps getting better and better. From Marty Murray to Brad Tapper to Nolan Baumgartner to Lars Jonsson to Randy Robitaille. We're filling up with scrubs. Maybe the next guy they can sign to a contract is Bobby Dollas and maybe see about the possibility of acquiring Jamie Heward and Jason Marshall. But what scrub team wouldn't be complete without a scrub goalie. Freddie Brathwaite and Kevin Weekes certainly come to mind. Or, how about this blast from the past.....Peter Ing. Why not invite all the scrubs to Philadelphia.........

On a serious note though, Clarke has to get down to business and get our RFAs signed. Wouldn't it be something if Gagne took the team to arbitration? It seems he might have to do that though to get some sort of contract. As for Pitkanen, Umberger and Niittymaki, I guess the saying no news is good news pertains here.

I think we can all agree that it's going to get ugly. Last season's free agent rampage has really bit this team and we're stuck with those horrendous contracts of Rathje and Hatcher. We're also stuck with the Primeau contract and there just seems to be no end in sight in terms of getting out of all these bad deals.

And who was it on here who said that the Flyers don't have any bad contracts that they can't get out from under????????
Sorry to burst your bubble but Brathwaite was just signed by Atlanta. DAMN!

Old
07-05-2006, 02:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

wrap this baby in a little package, send it off to wikipedia and call it Negadelphia.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
But what scrub team wouldn't be complete without a scrub goalie. Freddie Brathwaite and Kevin Weekes certainly come to mind. Or, how about this blast from the past.....Peter Ing. Why not invite all the scrubs to Philadelphia.........
The Pens let Chiodo and Caron go, so there you go. If you want a guy who can make the save of the year, and then let in a backhand shot from the blue line, Caron is your man,

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:07 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
This offseason just keeps getting better and better. From Marty Murray to Brad Tapper to Nolan Baumgartner to Lars Jonsson to Randy Robitaille. We're filling up with scrubs.

ITS CALLED A SALARY CAP PEOPLE

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Nacho
Special

Would have liked to see Weinhandl come from Minnesota instead...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

He sounds like a poor man's Kapanen. This would be a decent signing if it were coupled with something big, however...no

Hopefully Clarke's splurge into the cut-out bin (Murray, Tapper, etc.) can form a solid 4th line, which will make the team look better than last year when it was Brashear out on the ice.

I appreciate Clarke's recognition of the team's shortcomings, however these moves were moves made to survive the new NHL, not moves made to win...

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Really?!?!?!? You don't say?!?!?!?!? I know that there's a salary cap and I'm having fun with regards to the signings (I also think I'm not the only one on here that has had fun at the expense of the Flyers organization). Fact of the matter is that the team is in a lot of trouble right now. We're burdened by bloated contracts, players that have no value if we try to trade them, and not enough money to sign our own RFAs. The team has alloted 6 million bucks to sign four players and two of those players are Gagne and Pitkanen. Those two are going to take up six million between them.

Fact is that this team has had ample opportunity to get things done, but they waited too long. Now, we're getting bit hard and it's not looking good. We're stuck with about five contracts that I can think of that I wish we could get out from under (Hatcher, Rathje, Primeau, Nedved, Kapanen). However, we're stuck with them and there's nothing that can be done about it. In one fell swoop last summer, management essentially screwed this team by thinking that the game would revert back to its old form. It didn't and we're paying the price.

Sorry if I choose to make light of the scrub signings instead of dealing with the real issues here right now. This team is a team that is in A LOT of trouble. Everyone else on here may think that this team is still a playoff team, but now that we've been exposed in the playoffs for having a piss poor defense at best, every other team in the league is going to expose it for what it is and yes, we'll be lucky if we make the 8th seed.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You don't need to score goals to eat even strength minutes, be fast and kill penalties. My point is that the first words out of Clarke mouth was his offense. Any AHL-idiot can get 40 points on an NHL team if he gets enough ice time.

If it's a matter of eating minutes and killing penalties, Brian Savage did that just fine and so did Branko Radivojevic.
So that's why our PK was so awesome last year.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
You don't need to score goals to eat even strength minutes, be fast and kill penalties. My point is that the first words out of Clarke mouth was his offense. Any AHL-idiot can get 40 points on an NHL team if he gets enough ice time.

If it's a matter of eating minutes and killing penalties, Brian Savage did that just fine and so did Branko Radivojevic.
I agree with Panasonic, our PK was bottom of the league for most of the year. Robitaille is faster than Branko and Savage and really, 40 points on a Lemaire team isn't that bad. I think he could probably hit 30 or 40 with the Flyers if he gets decent time.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
So that's why our PK was so awesome last year.

The times when it was really, really bad was in the beginning part of the year. As time went by, it got better, and the most noticalbe improvement was when Brian Savage was put on the top PK unit.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
The times when it was really, really bad was in the beginning part of the year. As time went by, it got better, and the most noticalbe improvement was when Brian Savage was put on the top PK unit.
That argument is getting kind of old by now. The PK sucked for the first month or two of the year, but are you telling me that even though the PK was really good, they could only pull it up the 27th by the end of the year. If the PK were really up to scratch, I would have expected a top-20 finish.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post

I am sure most understand that there is a salary cap but Friesen just signed for $1.3 million. Not sure what the three forwards got that we signed, but I am sure it was near that number. I much rather have him then the 3 we signed. Also, I am sure we could have had him for less if we gave him more then the 1 year contract he got with Calgary (IMO is the favorite to win the cup next year)

Look at NJ. They resigned two of their guys to big contracts and are willing to go over the cap and work it out by time the seasons starts. Why can't Clarke to that??? I understand we need to sign our RFA and I agree that is top priority, however, if I am not mistaken, Forsberg's salary does not count until he comes back. Why not go over the cap by a little bit for the first half of the season and worry about fixing it by December?

This team needs a GM with Lou in NJ.

Old
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Really?!?!?!? You don't say?!?!?!?!? I know that there's a salary cap and I'm having fun with regards to the signings (I also think I'm not the only one on here that has had fun at the expense of the Flyers organization). Fact of the matter is that the team is in a lot of trouble right now. We're burdened by bloated contracts, players that have no value if we try to trade them, and not enough money to sign our own RFAs. The team has alloted 6 million bucks to sign four players and two of those players are Gagne and Pitkanen. Those two are going to take up six million between them.

Fact is that this team has had ample opportunity to get things done, but they waited too long. Now, we're getting bit hard and it's not looking good. We're stuck with about five contracts that I can think of that I wish we could get out from under (Hatcher, Rathje, Primeau, Nedved, Kapanen). However, we're stuck with them and there's nothing that can be done about it. In one fell swoop last summer, management essentially screwed this team by thinking that the game would revert back to its old form. It didn't and we're paying the price.

Sorry if I choose to make light of the scrub signings instead of dealing with the real issues here right now. This team is a team that is in A LOT of trouble. Everyone else on here may think that this team is still a playoff team, but now that we've been exposed in the playoffs for having a piss poor defense at best, every other team in the league is going to expose it for what it is and yes, we'll be lucky if we make the 8th seed.
I dont mind having Kapanen, but I agree on the other 3. See my other post for my thoughts on the salary cap

Old
07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
IAMCANADIAN

IMO this signing reminds me alot of past Flyers like Jody Hull and Kent Manderville. Both we really effective on the PK and a real assest to overall team defense. Hull was more offensive than Kent, I he even saw sometime on the 2nd PP unit(not often mind you). You cannot overlook injuries, so I see this as a good accusition for the Flyers.

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
IMO this signing reminds me alot of past Flyers like Jody Hull and Kent Manderville. Both we really effective on the PK and a real assest to overall team defense. Hull was more offensive than Kent, I he even saw sometime on the 2nd PP unit(not often mind you). You cannot overlook injuries, so I see this as a good accusition for the Flyers.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be happier to see Robitaille, Tapper, Murray eat up garbage time on the 3rd and 4th (not so much 3rd, hopefully) than Brashear, Savage, etc...its just there's no big acquistion to offset these guys that we've signed so far, so they're getting blasted right now and so is Bob Clarke

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHomer DM03 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'll be happier to see Robitaille, Tapper, Murray eat up garbage time on the 3rd and 4th (not so much 3rd, hopefully) than Brashear, Savage, etc...its just there's no big acquistion to offset these guys that we've signed so far, so they're getting blasted right now and so is Bob Clarke
Right. If this means that Nedved, Primeau and Dimo are gone and replaced with two good top 6 guys and then these signings fill in on the bottom fine, but as it stands now, we signed all these guys to basically fill one spot in our forward group, two if Primeau cannot play. Waste of time and money IMO. Unless, there is a big aquisition to offset it as you say.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Right. If this means that Nedved, Primeau and Dimo are gone and replaced with two good top 6 guys and then these signings fill in on the bottom fine, but as it stands now, we signed all these guys to basically fill one spot in our forward group, two if Primeau cannot play. Waste of time and money IMO. Unless, there is a big aquisition to offset it as you say.
who is this big acquisition? what player will dramatically improve this team that they can get and fit under the cap?

Radio/Stevenson/Savage and Radio had a total of 41 pts last year and were paid close to $3 mill. Robatailled alone scored 40 points and will cost under $1 mill. The Flyers problem last year was health. They had no 3rd line scoring because Zues/Kappy/Prim were not healthy. They had absolutely no 4th line scoring due to lack of talent. If those 3rd line players are healthy and the new "4th liners" of Murray/Robataille can perform as expected, this team will improve substantially.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote