HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread | Part II: "The Winger Mystery Deepens"

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
With Despres and Bortuzzo looking like great fits here. Dumoulin able to step in in the very near future with Morrow right behind him. Maatta and Harrington are expendable IMO especially if they bring back two key pieces to our top six long term. Pair them with our 1st, Niskanen and a roster forward.
At absolute most. It's overpaying probably, but if I can add Stewart and Kulemin and have when it's done Despres, Morrow, Pouliot, Bennett, and Dumoulin, then it's probably worth even that long run.

Quote:
Redden is a stopgap at best. Pietro needs a steady partner. Cole isn't ready. They want to take the next step in the postseason. Stewart isn't a part of their longterm plans and can be replaced especially if we send a guy like TK to fill in on their 3rd or 4th line.
Agreed on Redden. Tarasenko makes Stewart a third liner. And, whether he's Pietro's partner or not, STL needs help on defense. Their limitations there are getting exposed.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I understand and agree with what people are saying about St. Louis - Redden isn't a long term solution, Stewart is expendable, etc...

but I still don't think they trade Stewart during the season. So he's a 3rd-liner there? AWESOME. That's the kind of depth you want going into the playoffs. He'd be a 1st-line player here, and he's on their 3rd? They aren't going to give that up during the season for anything short of ... Despres?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
At absolute most. It's overpaying probably, but if I can add Stewart and Kulemin and have when it's done Despres, Morrow, Pouliot, Bennett, and Dumoulin, then it's probably worth even that long run.

Agreed on Redden. Tarasenko makes Stewart a third liner. And, whether he's Pietro's partner or not, STL needs help on defense. Their limitations there are getting exposed.
Shero doesn't operate on finding a winger for a certain player. But I'm positive he's had his eye on Kulemin. He knows he'd fit anywhere in our lineup. And if we acquire him, he'd go straight to Geno's LW b/c thats where the hole is right now.

I remember quotes from DB and Shero when the Neal trade went down saying they've had a list of power forwards they keep an eye on throughout the season. Have to think Stewart is on it. And with Redden being exposed for what he is, a guy who's played in the minors and not ready for a top 4 role if ever. And Cole not there yet, we match up as trade partners.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I understand and agree with what people are saying about St. Louis - Redden isn't a long term solution, Stewart is expendable, etc...

but I still don't think they trade Stewart during the season. So he's a 3rd-liner there? AWESOME. That's the kind of depth you want going into the playoffs. He'd be a 1st-line player here, and he's on their 3rd? They aren't going to give that up during the season for anything short of ... Despres?
I never bought Stewart being a fit there. His weaknesses get exposed in that system. He's not a dynamic two way player, nor is he going to win board battles the way Hitch wants like Oshie does. He has the speed and skill to get by. IMO, DA is waiting for the right deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Perhaps.

The kicker for them is that they need a guy who legitimately can be a 4/5 playoff guy. They could try to rent him. If they look towards picking up a player with years on his deal, they need it to be low priced with Pietro, Shattenkirk, and Berglund RFA's.

I always figured that they'd wait until the offseason to move Stewart. Now, if they could get a 'replacement for the role', a legit 4/5 playoff guy, and a sweetener, I could maybe see it.

Quote:
Shero doesn't operate on finding a winger for a certain player. But I'm positive he's had his eye on Kulemin. He knows he'd fit anywhere in our lineup. And if we acquire him, he'd go straight to Geno's LW b/c thats where the hole is right now.

I remember quotes from DB and Shero when the Neal trade went down saying they've had a list of power forwards they keep an eye on throughout the season.
Have to think Stewart is on it. And with Redden being exposed for what he is, a guy who's played in the minors and not ready for a top 4 role if ever. And Cole not there yet, we match up as trade partners.
Interesting

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I don't think Stewart is plausible. I don't think the Blues need to make any trades save for depth/a grizzled Cups vet for a playoff run. They're one of the top 2-3 teams in the league IMO. I just don't see it.
I tried thinking about where STL is, and what they may want to do at the deadline, and IMO, if I were STL, I'd rather trade Stewart and his salary, get some sort of draft pick for him, and have his cap space to use on something that would benefit the team more...such as a veteran physical defenseman for Pietro.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I tried thinking about where STL is, and what they may want to do at the deadline, and IMO, if I were STL, I'd rather trade Stewart and his salary, get some sort of draft pick for him, and have his cap space to use on something that would benefit the team more...such as a veteran physical defenseman for Pietro.
Actually, STL has the budget to do it without trading Stewart, which is why I figured they'd move him in the summer when all the other RFA's need to be dealt with.

But, with Redden being Redden and Russell's and Cole's limitations, a guy like Nisky would be an decent upgrade.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Actually, STL has the budget to do it without trading Stewart, which is why I figured they'd move him in the summer when all the other RFA's need to be dealt with.

But, with Redden being Redden and Russell's and Cole's limitations, a guy like Nisky would be an decent upgrade.
If Nisky was a RFA, then I'd say it's a no brainer for the Blues. Maybe if we add a D prospect to beef up their pipeline and a conditional pick if he resigns.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
If Nisky was a RFA, then I'd say it's a no brainer for the Blues. Maybe if we add a D prospect to beef up their pipeline and a conditional pick if he resigns.
A defensive prospect definitely helps if added to Nisky and TK, especially since STL is relatively thin there. What did you have in mind?

Closed Thread