HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penner to NYR

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

vCash: 500
Penner to NYR

: get:

Gilroy
2nd
2014 3rd

Penner

Kings need some D depth, and from what I've seen and heard Kings fans would be happy with a bag of pucks for Penner. Rangers can't win a Cup rolling 2 1/2 lines.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post

Gilroy
2nd
2014 3rd

Penner

Kings need some D depth, and from what I've seen and heard Kings fans would be happy with a bag of pucks for Penner. Rangers can't win a Cup rolling 2 1/2 lines.
I am a Ranger fan but don't think that would be enough to get Penner unless the Kings were resigned to the fact that it isn't going to happen for them this year and Penner isn't coming back next year

Also, that puts us (Rangers) right at the cap max thus unable to take on any $$ at the deadline.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
I am a Ranger fan but don't think that would be enough to get Penner unless the Kings were resigned to the fact that it isn't going to happen for them this year and Penner isn't coming back next year

Also, that puts us (Rangers) right at the cap max thus unable to take on any $$ at the deadline.
Agree with this^, but add I'm not sure Penner is worth that much, unless we know for sure he's going to be a 'top banana' and not 'Mr. Pancake', esp. since you indicate a "2nd" which I assume you meant current (2013) 2nd, that you differentiated from your "2014 3rd". Since we are already down the 1st this year for Nash, giving up our 2nd also does not appeal to me, particularly as we can't be sure which Penner we get.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:

Gilroy
2nd
2014 3rd

Penner

That seems a reasonable offer for Penner. I don't know if the Kings are that interested in Gilroy but the basis of the trade seems to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post

It's very hard to gauge Penners value because when he's on fire he's unstoppable but most to the time he seems as flat as a pancake. (if you'll excuse the pun) I'd be happy enough with that return for him. If you have another expiring contract other than gilroy available at a higher caphit that you would prefer to move I would have thought Lombardi would still be all ears.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

If they'd take a bag of pucks, why are you starting the offer at two picks and a depth defensemen?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If they'd take a bag of pucks, why are you starting the offer at two picks and a depth defensemen?
Other teams would offer at least that at the deadline. As a Kings fan I'd rather they did a move like this now to kick our boys up the backside (similar to advertising Brown last year)

Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
pld459666

Quote:

Gilroy
2nd
2014 3rd

Penner

Where we putting Penner?

Top line with Nash and Richie?

2nd line with Step and Gabby?

3rd line seems set with Kreider-Miller-Callahan

What do we do with Pyatt and Hagelin?

This is the same Penner that has played in just 3 of his teams 9 games. A team that thus far in this early season has struggled to score goals.

What on gods green earth are we going to get from Penner than LA is not getting?

And you are willing to give up a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for that?

Are you really a Rangers fan?

Just askin.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Other teams would offer at least that at the deadline. As a Kings fan I'd rather they did a move like this now to kick our boys up the backside (similar to advertising Brown last year)
Who knows what will happen before the deadline, but I have a hard time seeing any team giving up multiple early picks and a depth player for a guy who has spent more time in the press box than he has on the ice.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Penner has been awful. Why should the Rangers give up anything for him? I'd rather pony up and go after Stephen Weiss.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
NYR Viper

He would not fit in well with Torts. Not the type of player the Rangers should be looking at, especially for that price considering they don't have a 1st.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Who knows what will happen before the deadline, but I have a hard time seeing any team giving up multiple early picks and a depth player for a guy who has spent more time in the press box than he has on the ice.
I think you're wrong, He has scored 30 goals in the past, he's got two stanley cup rings, was great for us in the playoffs (scoring the game/ series winner in game 5 vs the yotes) I'd be very suprised if we couldn't get a better offer at the deadline. As for the bolded I assume you mean this year and not career, which has been what 9 games which he has played something like 3. Perhaps he's getting his conditioning back, eating a few more pancakes, who knows.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Tonellisghost
CHILL WINSTON!

Kings fan

I think that the OP offer is too rich to rent Penner.

We would want a 2nd rd pick and Gilroy but I would expect the Rangers to ask us to pick up at least half of his salary. That said Im not certain how the new cba works on our being able to do the salary part.

I would rather it be a 2nd this year and a third next year and leave it at that.

Tonellisghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:33 AM
16 To Stanley*

No to penner. to slow

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
I think you're wrong, He has scored 30 goals in the past, he's got two stanley cup rings, was great for us in the playoffs (scoring the game/ series winner in game 5 vs the yotes) I'd be very suprised if we couldn't get a better offer at the deadline. As for the bolded I assume you mean this year and not career, which has been what 9 games which he has played something like 3. Perhaps he's getting his conditioning back, eating a few more pancakes, who knows.
The same concerns about his conditioning and his compete level have been around for his entire career. It's not as if he's suddenly taken a nose dive. He was terrible all year for the Kings until the playoffs rolled around. I don't think many teams want to bring in a guy who may or may not turn it on when it matters at the expense of anything more than maybe a 3rd and a C level prospect.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
The same concerns about his conditioning and his compete level have been around for his entire career. It's not as if he's suddenly taken a nose dive. He was terrible all year for the Kings until the playoffs rolled around. I don't think many teams want to bring in a guy who may or may not turn it on when it matters at the expense of anything more than maybe a 3rd and a C level prospect.
Perhaps, however at the deadline there's bound to be some injury riddled team or two that would pay through the nose for him just on the back of last years playoffs alone.