HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
  #1
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

WINGERZ

lets keep all winger acquisition talk here.

Player
Shoots
Age
Current Team
Playoffs
Cap Hit
Signed Till
Role
Attainability
Corey Perry
RW/RHS
27
Anaheim
In Contention
$5,325,000
2012-13
Crosby's Dream
Pending UFA
Bobby Ryan
RW/RHS
25
Anaheim
In Contention
$5,100,000
2014-15
Crosby's Dream
Pure Fantasy
Thomas Vanek
LW/RHS
29
Buffalo
In Contention
$7,142,857
2013-14
Crosby's Sniper
ein Mann Verbrennung
Drew Stafford
RW/RHS
27
Buffalo
In Contention
$4,000,000
2014-15
Crosby's School-Chum
Playing on Third Line
Alex Semin
RW/RHS
28
Carolina
In Contention
$7,000,000
2012-13
Crosby's Hired Gun
Pending UFA
RJ Umberger
LW/LHS
30
Columbus
In Contention
$4,600,000
2016-17
Malkin's Kunitz?
Burdensome Contract?
Alex Tanguay
LW/LHS
33
Calgary
No So Much
$3,500,000
2015-16
Crosby's Third Wheel
Impending Youth Movement?
Curtis Glencross
LW/LHS
30
Calgary
No So Much
$2,550,000
2014-15
Crosby's Third Wheel
Hockey Trade?
Jarome Iginla
RW/RHS
35
Calgary
No So Much
$7,000,000
2012-13
Crosby's Olympian
Pending UFA, Bourque-ing
Lee Stempniak
RW/RHS
30
Calgary
No So Much
$2,500,000
2013-14
Crosby's Lee Remick
Impending Youth Movement?
Viktor Stålberg
RW/LHS
27
Chicago
In Contention
$875,000
2012-13
Crosby's TFK?
Ample Forward Depth?
Jamie McGinn
LW/LHS
24
Colorado
In Contention
$1,750,000
2013-14
Crosby's Kunitz
Ample Forward Depth?
David Jones
RW/RHS
28
Colorado
In Contention
$4,000,000
2015-16
Crosby's Pop-Star
Ample Forward Depth?
Ray Whitney
LW/RHS
40
Dallas
In Contention
$4,500,000
2013-14
Crosby's Wizard
Ample Forward Depth?
Brenden Morrow
LW/LHS
34
Dallas
In Contention
$4,100,000
2012-13
Crosby's Guerin
busted down and worn out
Jaromír Jágr
RW/LHS
40
Dallas
In Contention
$4,550,000
2012-13
Crosby's Troll
Pending UFA, Nostalgia
Michael Ryder
RW/RHS
32
Dallas
In Contention
$3,500,000
2012-13
Crosby's Sniper
Pending UFA
Johan Franzen
RW/LHS
33
Detroit
In Contention
$3,954,545
2019-20
Crosby's Mule
Dat Contract, Dat Inconsistency
Aleš Hemský
RW/RHS
29
Edmonton
In Contention
$5,000,000
2013-14
Crosby's Playmaker
Youth Movement?
Magnus Pääjärvi
LW/LHS
21
Edmonton
In Contention
$1,525,000
2012-13
Malkin's Kunitz?
Ample Forward Depth?
Alexei Kovalev
RW/LHS
39
Florida
In Contention
$1,450,000
2012-13
TDL Seller?
Peter Mueller
RW/RHS
24
Florida
In Contention
$1,725,000
2012-13
Crosby's Running Mate
TDL Seller?
Charlie Coyle
RW/RHS
20
Minnesota
In Contention
$975,000
2014-15
Crosby's Neal
Ample Forward Depth?
Dany Heatley
LW/LHS
32
Minnesota
In Contention
$7,500,000
2013-14
Not Crosby's Driver
Burdensome Contract?
PM Bouchard
LW/LHS
28
Minnesota
In Contention
$4,080,000
2012-13
Crosby's Quiet Room Bud
Pending UFA
Devin Setoguchi
RW/RHS
26
Minnesota
In Contention
$3,000,000
2013-14
Crosby's Neal
Hockey Trade?
Brian Gionta
RW/RHS
34
Montréal
In Contention
$5,000,000
2013-14
Crosby's Midget
Overpriced Veteran
Colin Wilson
LW/LHS
23
Nashville
In Contention
$2,000,000
2014-15
Crosby's Neal
Hockey Trade?
Patric Hörnqvist
RW/RHS
26
Nashville
In Contention
$3,083,333
2012-13
Crosby's Net-Front Screen
Pending RFA
Nino Niederreiter
RW/LHS
20
NY Islanders
In Contention
$2,795,000
2013-14
Crosby's Neal
Katie Strang Report
Radim Vrbata
RW/RHS
31
Phoenix
In Contention
$3,000,000
2013-14
Crosby's Sniper
Hockey Trade?
Ryane Clowe
LW/LHS
30
San Jose
In Contention
$3,625,000
2012-13
Crosby's Kunitz
Pending UFA
Chris Stewart
RW/RHS
25
St. Louis
In Contention
$3,000,000
2012-13
Crosby's Neal
Little Hope, RFA, Hockey Trade?
Ryan Malone
LW/LHS
33
Tampa Bay
In Contention
$4,500,000
2014-15
Overpaid Veteran
Clarke MacArthur
LW/LHS
27
Toronto
In Contention
$3,250,000
2012-13
Crosby's Big Chief
Underwhelming Performance, UFA
Николай Кулёмин
LW/LHS
26
Toronto
In Contention
$2,800,000
2013-14
Malkin's BFF
Underwhelming Performance
Blake Wheeler
RW/RHS
26
Winnipeg
In Contention
$2,550,000
2012-13
Crosby's Tyger
Little Hope, Pending RFA

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
  #2
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
thread title comes from Yeats' "A Poet to his Beloved" which can be found in his crackerjack 1899 collection, The Wind Among the Reeds:

Quote:
I bring you with reverent hands
The books of my numberless dreams;
White woman that passion has worn
As the tide wears the dove-gray sands,
And with heart more old than the horn
That is brimmed from the pale fire of time:
White woman with numberless dreams
I bring you my passionate rhyme.
-added a column for position and handedness. feel free to correct me in instances where a player is playing off-wing or is ambidextrous.
-added Peter Mueller and Curtis Glencross.
-might consider adding Justin Williams and/or Simon Gagné if LA keeps stringing together losses.
-the chart is still limited to the usual suspects but feel free to suggest more names.


Last edited by Crafton: 02-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
  #3
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
I'm north of Toronto. I've shoveled like a foot of snow already, and there's more snow in the driveway. Basically, I'm blaming Shero. This natural disaster is the work of idle hands. IDLE HANDS, RAY.

Did we get Kulemin, yet?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
  #4
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
reserved.
For what?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  #5
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm north of Toronto. I've shoveled like a foot of snow already, and there's more snow in the driveway. Basically, I'm blaming Shero. This natural disaster is the work of idle hands. IDLE HANDS, RAY.

Did we get Kulemin, yet?
Speaking of idle hands . . .

EDIT: Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  #6
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
For what?
exercises in indulgence. KIRK, go finish chewing the scenery in the other thread before you take over this one.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
  #7
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Speaking of idle hands . . .

EDIT: Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.
I fully admit it. This is a ridiculous amount of snow. I'm trying to tap out. It won't stop.

The worst part is, you keep giving me crap about my username and now I really want one, but I can't get there to get it.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
  #8
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
exercises in indulgence. KIRK, go finish chewing the scenery in the other thread before you take over this one.
****, what California politician peed in your cheerios this morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I fully admit it. This is a ridiculous amount of snow. I'm trying to tap out. It won't stop.

The worst part is, you keep giving me crap about my username and now I really want one, but I can't get there to get it.
Stay warm StrangeBrew.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
  #9
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Dupuis Sutter Cooke would be a great 3rd line.

But that means the pens would have to acquire 2 wingers.

I guess the pens are going to continue to force Boychuk down Malkins throat until a trade is made. The bar was set pretty low after Tangradi, Kennedy and Jeffrey stunk it up. Playing better than those 3 idiots is hardly sufficient to warrant playing with Geno.

Come on Shero, make this team unstoppable.


Last edited by Fire Shero*: 02-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
  #10
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Dupuis Sutter Cooke would be a great 3rd line.

But that means the pens would have to acquire 2 wingers.

I guess the pens are going to continue to force Boychuk down Malkins throat until a trade is made. The bar was set pretty low after Tangradi, Kennedy and Jeffrey stunk it up. Playing better than those 3 idiots is hardly sufficient enough to warrant playing with Geno.

Come on Shero, make this team unstoppable.
Kunitz-Sid-Iggy/Stewart
Kulie-Geno-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-TheOneTrueHockeyGod-MrBurgundysWetDream

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
  #11
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
I'm surprised there aren't more people on the "Dupuis is the perfect 3rd-liner" train. I just love his game so much more than Kennedy, AND he won't look out of place if he has to play on the 1st line due to injuries.

Not exactly winger related, but: Martin has been our best Dman this year. Let's say he keeps this up for the entire season, including playoffs. What happens? I know he makes 5MM, and it's going to be hard to fit everyone under the cap, but ... do you trade him and hope for the best?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  #12
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more people on the "Dupuis is the perfect 3rd-liner" train. I just love his game so much more than Kennedy, AND he won't look out of place if he has to play on the 1st line due to injuries.

Not exactly winger related, but: Martin has been our best Dman this year. Let's say he keeps this up for the entire season, including playoffs. What happens? I know he makes 5MM, and it's going to be hard to fit everyone under the cap, but ... do you trade him and hope for the best?
1. I always thought Cooke-Staal-Duperstar > Cooke-Staal-TK when Sid was out. I think it would work the same way with Sutter.

2. About Martin, I'd say to table that question until after the playoffs, HotMocha

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
  #13
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Kunitz-Sid-Iggy/Stewart
Kulie-Geno-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-TheOneTrueHockeyGod-MrBurgundysWetDream
Kulemin might go a long way ensuring Malkin signs a long term deal here. Plus he's a huge upgrade over Boychuk. Is Boychuk even tall enough to ride the Steel Phantom or whatever it's called these days?

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
  #14
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. I always thought Cooke-Staal-Duperstar > Cooke-Staal-TK when Sid was out. I think it would work the same way with Sutter.

2. About Martin, I'd say to table that question until after the playoffs, HotMocha
1) 100%. I also don't like having a 2MM 3rd-liner who does nothing in special teams. He's also too spazzy for my liking. I think Dupuis would still put up ~50pts and be a much more well-rounded player.

2) Yea, no way they trade him during the year, but idle hands and all. I need something to keep me entertained

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
  #15
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Schwartz looks like he's not ready for the NHL yet. So if they move Stewart, a roster forward coming back would interest the Blues IMO. TK being a RFA at year's end would interest them. DA had interest in him before, no reason to think he wouldn't like him as a 2nd or third piece in a deal. While solidifying his D and maintaining his forward depth.

Nisky+Harrington+TK for Stewart+3rd. Add a conditional pick on our side if need be with Nisky being a UFA in two seasons.

Maatta+1st for Kulemin+3rd.

No idea if those are doable, but having our top six set and still having our most valuable D prospects and Bennett in the fold is a win for our organization.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  #16
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Schwartz looks like he's not ready for the NHL yet. So if they move Stewart, a roster forward coming back would interest the Blues IMO. TK being a RFA at year's end would interest them. DA had interest in him before, no reason to think he wouldn't like him as a 2nd or third piece in a deal. While solidifying his D and maintaining his forward depth.

Nisky+Harrington+TK for Stewart+3rd. Add a conditional pick on our side if need be with Nisky being a UFA in two seasons.

Maatta+1st for Kulemin+3rd.

No idea if those are doable, but having our top six set and still having our most valuable D prospects and Bennett in the fold is a win for our organization.
Maatta and a 1st are too much, imo, and I like Kulemin.

Just thinking about this, I'm fine losing 2 major assets in the off-season, but I wonder how much salary Shero wants to add tot he "core" right now. That's why I think if he goes the 2-winger route, one is going to be a true rental.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
  #17
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
assuming two-wingers and one of them is a pure rental (say, a Kuelmin and Ryder scenario), i wonder what kind of winger Orpik/Martin could return in the off-season.


Last edited by Crafton: 02-08-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
  #18
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Maatta and a 1st are too much, imo, and I like Kulemin.

Just thinking about this, I'm fine losing 2 major assets in the off-season, but I wonder how much salary Shero wants to add tot he "core" right now. That's why I think if he goes the 2-winger route, one is going to be a true rental.
If we get two top 6 upgrades. Moving TK and replacing him with Kulemin only adds 800k to the cap. Even if Stewart explodes, we control his rights and won't command more than Neal money. Move Martin in the offseason if need be. Either he is a pansy again and we want to move him or buy him out or he continues his strong play and there's a big market for him at the draft.

Maatta+2nd+lesser piece is ideal for Kulemin. For sure.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
  #19
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
A defensive prospect definitely helps if added to Nisky and TK, especially since STL is relatively thin there. What did you have in mind?
Nisky+Harrington+TK for Stewart+3rd. Niskanen fills a need for them right now. Harrington, longterm. TK helps replace what they lose in Stewart in a 3rd/4th line role.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
  #20
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Playing with Tangradi, Jeffrey and Boychuk hasn't stopped Malkin from being in the top 5 in scoring.

Why can't we continue to play one of these three guys and see what we have here, instead of making a panicky trade for a non-stud winger?

I'm not getting this. We all want a younger player on a cheap contract to bust through, yet we're being as impatient as Disco is.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  #21
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Playing with Tangradi, Jeffrey and Boychuk hasn't stopped Malkin from being in the top 5 in scoring.

Why can't we continue to play one of these three guys and see what we have here, instead of making a panicky trade for a non-stud winger?

I'm not getting this. We all want a younger player on a cheap contract to bust through, yet we're being as impatient as Disco is.
We need more size on the wing in general. Geno needs a more consistent board battler and defensive presence. Sid needs someone who can help create off the rush and finish plays.

Why be content with what we have when we can improve our roster and chances at winning a Cup using pieces we don't need now or longterm.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  #22
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71
 
SinfulCobraZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Schwartz looks like he's not ready for the NHL yet. So if they move Stewart, a roster forward coming back would interest the Blues IMO. TK being a RFA at year's end would interest them. DA had interest in him before, no reason to think he wouldn't like him as a 2nd or third piece in a deal. While solidifying his D and maintaining his forward depth.

Nisky+Harrington+TK for Stewart+3rd. Add a conditional pick on our side if need be with Nisky being a UFA in two seasons.

Maatta+1st for Kulemin+3rd.

No idea if those are doable, but having our top six set and still having our most valuable D prospects and Bennett in the fold is a win for our organization.
A 1st in a deep draft filled with forwards for Kulemin? I wouldn't do that.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
  #23
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Playing with Tangradi, Jeffrey and Boychuk hasn't stopped Malkin from being in the top 5 in scoring.

Why can't we continue to play one of these three guys and see what we have here, instead of making a panicky trade for a non-stud winger?

I'm not getting this. We all want a younger player on a cheap contract to bust through, yet we're being as impatient as Disco is.
I'm all for this, but people are unhappy with the Geno Line's 5-on-5 production, and it has slipped recently.

The one thing I would say is: I think giving Boychuk 10 games with that line would be nice. That's a preseason/training camp. Now, you don't have forever, because the shortened season means you can't throw games away, but I still think Boychuk has a place on this team.

edit: but I don't consider a trade for kulemin panicky.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
  #24
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
A 1st in a deep draft filled with forwards for Kulemin? I wouldn't do that.
Understandable. If we could do it with a 2nd+lesser asset then great.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
  #25
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
A 1st in a deep draft filled with forwards for Kulemin? I wouldn't do that.
Been saying that all along but most here don't care about the draft picks

Anyways I like Kulemin but the bottom line is he had 1 good year in Toronto and that's about it. I wouldn't overpay for him

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.