Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild News And Notes

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 04:15 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Coyle Might play on the top line... who will sit?

So... Coyle practiced on the top line and Russo says he's likely to play there Thursday... Yeo was non-commital on whether the lineup in practice will be the lineup in the game. As of right now Yeo doesn't know who's going to sit to get Rupp into the lineup on the 4th line.

Quote:
Newly acquired Mike Rupp will make his Wild debut Thursday. He practiced on the fourth line with Zenon Konopka and Torrey Mitchell and already met expectations.

"He's big," Yeo said jokingly about the 6-5 forward. "He didn't shrink at all."

Devin Setoguchi and Mikael Granlund rotated spots on the third line with Kyle Brodziak and Cal Clutterbuck.

One forward will have to come out, but Yeo said the Thursday lineup hasn't been finalized. It's not an easy decision because Setoguchi and Granlund, two players Yeo challenged in Phoenix, seemed to respond.

"We have to sort it out," Yeo said.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
RE: Kassian

Quote:
@logankamm35 likely moved at some point
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/299533237875789824

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

RE: Coyle and #3

Quote:
@finley014 he has played 1 NHL game, little early for that,
http://twitter.com/styleswild/status/299624076354408448

Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Mike Yeo: "This is a group that I have full confidence in that will pull out of this." #mnwild
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/299736956236079104

Old
02-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Sportsfan1

I'm no Mikko Koivu hater, but if this team continues these lackluster performances and can't get "fired up" for crucial games like this evening than it is time to take a long hard look at the leadership of this team and look no further then a stand up guy like Parise.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I'm no Mikko Koivu hater, but if this team continues these lackluster performances and can't get "fired up" for crucial games like this evening than it is time to take a long hard look at the leadership of this team and look no further then a stand up guy like Parise.
That's sacrilegious thinking around here. Koivu is immune to all blame.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Gaps

Quote:
If you do that, I think you'll drive Koivu out of town. He's going to ask for a trade. Too much pride for him to stay after that. With that said, I don't think it would make the team suddenly start scoring more. It's not like he's telling them they're not allowed to score. Parise is alternate captain and gets to have his say in the locker room as it is. The two of them show a great example on the ice in just about every game, but only some of the players follow it.

This isn't really directed at anyone in particular, but I always find it a little perplexing when people start blaming the captain. Not just in Minnesota, but anywhere. In Finland it's very rare. They're not immune to critique and they get flamed for poor performances just as much as the next player (sometimes even more, because they're supposed to show a good example), but their position is sacred because it's decided by the team. People feel it's not something they're entitled to question and nobody thinks it would change anything for the better. Not even if the team fails for several seasons in a row. The only time a captain is changed here on any team is if the old captain gets traded/sold to another team or quits. Huge cultural difference there.

Last edited by Gaps: 02-08-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The results on the ice would be no different if Parise was Captain IMO. This is not an issue of "Mikko as Captain is causing these problems". This is an issue of "These players as a team are not gaining any chemistry and are not getting pucks on net".

Old
02-08-2013, 06:03 AM
FVM
Effin' Voodoo Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
This isn't really directed at anyone in particular, but I always find it a little perplexing when people start blaming the captain. Not just in Minnesota, but anywhere. In Finland it's very rare. They're not immune to critique and they get flamed for poor performances just as much as the next player (sometimes even more, because they're supposed to show a good example), but their position is sacred because it's decided by the team. People feel it's not something they're entitled to question and nobody thinks it would change anything for the better. Not even if the team fails for several seasons in a row. The only time a captain is changed here on any team is if the old captain gets traded/sold to another team or quits. Huge cultural difference there.
This is true and it's a thing I've noticed myself on these boards. I guess it's a North American thing?

Old
02-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
This is true and it's a thing I've noticed myself on these boards. I guess it's a North American thing?
I don't know if it's just a North American thing or more that the Finnish train of thought is so very different. It's a bit of a mystery to me to be honest, because Finns are rather critical and pessimistic in many aspects of life. You'd think the team captain would be the perfect scapegoat for a team's failure here just as much as across the pond, but in Finland it doesn't work like that most of the time. And yet the captain has pretty much the same duties here as they do in the NHL (just of course in a much smaller scale).

Maybe the idea will spread here eventually. I for one don't look forward to that day.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:23 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
If you do that, I think you'll drive Koivu out of town. He's going to ask for a trade. Too much pride for him to stay after that.
no way, whatever works for team he is fine with that. koivu has no pride enough, that actually is the issue here. at the postgame he said team was playing fine, as parise stated team didn't show up which clearly was more accurate

Old
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
no way, whatever works for team he is fine with that. koivu has no pride enough, that actually is the issue here. at the postgame he said team was playing fine, as parise stated team didn't show up which clearly was more accurate
I'll stand by what I said. Doing that would blow the entire crap up even further. Certain writers here have done so much analysis on him that I'm 100% sure about this. I can't even believe some people think he lacks pride. If anything, he has too much of it.

Last edited by Gaps: 02-08-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 07:46 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Some not willing to admit it, but many fans want Parise to be Captain because he is from Minnesota. It is that simple. Plus the fact that in the past he has been on better team, and has scored more. And media-friendly.

Mikko and Parise are the Wild's two best players. I would rank them the same on an overall basis, they just have different games. Both are respected by teammates, both are respected by others in the NHL. There is not a single GM in the entire NHL who would not love having either one, equally on their team.

Mikko was drafted by the Wild, grew-up in the Wild system, was selected the Wild's Captain before Parise was here, was considered "the franchise" by some pretty darn good NHL players. Parise, no history with the Wild.

Mikko should remain the Captain, Parise should remain an A. Switching the letters would be an exercise in futility, useless, meaningless. At this point in time, Mikko has to be considered the best player in MN Wild history, not even close. Perhaps Parise will be in the future. But at this point in his tenure with the Wild, 10 games, its a bit premature to dethrone Mikko.

As long as he is on the Wild, Mikko should be the C, he deserves it unquestionably.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The results on the ice would be no different if Parise was Captain IMO. This is not an issue of "Mikko as Captain is causing these problems". This is an issue of "These players as a team are not gaining any chemistry and are not getting pucks on net".
Good post.

It's easy to blame the captain, it also makes no sense.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Some not willing to admit it, but many fans want Parise to be Captain because he is from Minnesota. It is that simple. Plus the fact that in the past he has been on better team, and has scored more. And media-friendly.

Mikko and Parise are the Wild's two best players. I would rank them the same on an overall basis, they just have different games. Both are respected by teammates, both are respected by others in the NHL. There is not a single GM in the entire NHL who would not love having either one, equally on their team.

Mikko was drafted by the Wild, grew-up in the Wild system, was selected the Wild's Captain before Parise was here, was considered "the franchise" by some pretty darn good NHL players. Parise, no history with the Wild.

Mikko should remain the Captain, Parise should remain an A. Switching the letters would be an exercise in futility, useless, meaningless. At this point in time, Mikko has to be considered the best player in MN Wild history, not even close. Perhaps Parise will be in the future. But at this point in his tenure with the Wild, 10 games, its a bit premature to dethrone Mikko.

As long as he is on the Wild, Mikko should be the C, he deserves it unquestionably.
I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post

Oh my goodness I'm actually agreeing with THEALLKNOWING.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Just because you blame someone does not mean you are right in blaming them.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post

Oh my goodness I'm actually agreeing with THEALLKNOWING.
It was just a matter of time, most of the crap I publish on here is actually well thought-out.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Just because of their post-game quotes?

Koivu's game last night:
- led the team with 4 hits
- 2nd on team with 58% on draws
- led team with 21+ minutes of ice time
- 2 shots
- set up Coyle's scoring chance

Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Just because of their post-game quotes?

Koivu's game last night:
- led the team with 4 hits
- 2nd on team with 58% on draws
- led team with 21+ minutes of ice time
- 2 shots
- set up Coyle's scoring chance
It's simply a perception issue. Parise comes off disappointed and flabbergasted by the loss, Koivu says they were in the game... So fans are going to side with the guy whose statements are more in line with theirs. I think Parise is good for Koivu's captaincy, as he can help carry some of the media burden.

Either way, we need to ride this season out and see what we end up with. Constant changes are going to do absolutely nothing to help the Wild.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

No Parise on the ice today. Bouchard is replacing him on the first line during practice.

Also, looks like Prosser is back and Scandella out.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
No Parise on the ice today. Bouchard is replacing him on the first line during practice.

Also, looks like Prosser is back and Scandella out.
I'm not sure which is worse. Parise out or Prosser back in.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Hate to say it but Koivu is looking a little like Rick Nash

Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Granlund 64

Per Russo:

It appears Parise is sick.