HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
We might see that before the end of the season TBH. With Kadri's emergence we may see a top-6 that looks like:

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin

Personally I'm fine with that. I like Bozak as a #3C too, and I especially like McClement as the #4C - he makes that line capable of sustaining a regular shift. He can also scale up the 3rd or 2nd lines on the wing late in the game to for extra defensive responsibilities.
I agree Bozak is a decent #3 the thing is if he is on this team Kessel will want him as his center...

Bozy has to go for Kadri to grow that rhymed by accident

Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I agree Bozak is a decent #3 the thing is if he is on this team Kessel will want him as his center...

Bozy has to go for Kadri to grow that rhymed by accident
No offense, but I can't see how you'd know this without being on the team yourself. That's a pretty big assumption. I think Kessel will welcome a centre that can play on his level and put up points with him as any professional would.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
No offense, but I can't see how you'd know this without being on the team yourself. That's a pretty big assumption. I think Kessel will welcome a centre that can play on his level and put up points with him as any professional would.
they are known as Bert and Ernie on the team...

i wish u were right tbh but im afraid thats not the case..

Many goal scorers choose their center and the coach doesnt interfere... Look at Teemu and Saku...

Old
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
I think Kadri has paid his dues and deserves a shot!

im thinking around TD we move Bozak because of his UFA status, the Kessel relationship, an extra 1st in a good draft and his lack of production. That will give Kadri a cameo of the top spot and motivation to build on that in the summer!

In a perfect world we will trade Bozy for a 1st, resign Kessel for another 5 years and give Kadri a shot on the top line between JVR and Kess!
He's getting more ice time re....

Mike Zeisberger ‏@Zeisberger

Kadri receiving plenty of special teams work at practice, both on pp and pk. Leafs pp 25th, PK 24th. #Leafs

Old
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
He's getting more ice time re....

Mike Zeisberger ‏@Zeisberger

Kadri receiving plenty of special teams work at practice, both on pp and pk. Leafs pp 25th, PK 24th. #Leafs
good to see! he has earned it! TBH the PP needs a shot in the arm... I thought it would be Gards but im glad to see its kadri

Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
dimi78

Quote:
I don't see a lot of movement, there are some teams that are expected to do more, especially teams like the Wild that invested in some pretty big signings in the off season and also Washington and Pittsburgh, with their Crosby's Malkins and Ovie's, they have some young players, I would like to see on the leafs but I think they will hold tight, until they absolutely have to deal.

There are teams on the West coast too, that may deal but for the time being, they are all talking but until a team thinks it's time, to get their teams moving who knows?

If there is going to be any movement on the Leafs it could be a Steckel to Edmonton for a draft choice type deal.

Having said all that, we could all be surprised, by a Blockbuster deal, no one saw coming, which is usually the case.
Keep an I out on D around the league... People on here may have a negative out look on Kostka, Frazor and Holzer just because they've spent extended time in the AHL, all I will say about these guys is don't be shocked when Gunnarson, Liles and maybe Franson are traded.

Once Gardiner returns I know if I was GM with what I've seen from these guys both right now and what they've done with the Marlies the 4 of them (Holzer, Frazor, Kotska and Gardiner) should join Phaneuf and Franson as the six D men.

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Franson
Kostka
Holzer
Frazor.

There's no tweeners with these 6, each guy fits specific roles you look for in a defense core that helps with chemistry and will make the TEAM better playing roles they're built for. Other than Gardiner all 5 of the others have the element to there games where physically they separate pucks from bodies in the D zone something the soft Gunnarson and Liles don't have in there games and for the minutes they plays is an issue to have 3 like this on D.

I'm not knocking Liles and Gunnarson as players both are in fact better skilled players then a few of the other guys I have in the six but it's not about who's better overall as individual players, it's about who's better suited for the job in specific roles is what matters. It's about team first not individual players skill set to determine who plays, who stays and who gets traded.

Both Liles and Gunnarson have value in trade and IMO both are worth more in trade than how they fit in with the team and the type of hockey Carlyle wants to play... MacArthur is the lone forward that has value and fits the same boat.

These are the 3 guys 4 if you include Franson that I think are on the block and being scouted IMO not Kessel, not Kulemin.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
rumman

Quote:
i dont agree.. I think Kadri and Kessel would be dynamite together!

Bozak is the guy who needs to go! As long as he is here Kessel will want him as his center because of their on/off ice relationship.

We should move Bozy for a 1st rounder ala Gaustad and let Kadri and Kessel build some chemistry!
Kessel and Kadri are too much alike to play together, way too soft to be teamed together. IMO, they both need line mates with some size. Way too easy to defend against.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Budsfan

Here's a must read for those wanting to trade to get Ovechkin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...x-ovechkin/?gj

Quote:

Alex Ovechkin is 27 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2013, setting the buyout ratio at 2/3 and the total buyout cost at $52,666,667 spread over 16 years. His contract was originally valued at $124,000,000 beginning in 2008 and ending in 2021, with $79,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward.

That means a $3.8 million dollar cap hit on the books until 2028-29. Don’t see that as sound fiscal policy.

Secondly, not sure the trade market is there for Ovechkin. In theory, any team would love to have him, but who would be willing to give up the value necessary and take on a $9.5 million cap hit for the next eight years? Did I mention the player in question is 27 years old, has two goals in 10 games and has seen his point production decline each year for the last six years?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
Kessel and Kadri are too much alike to play together, way too soft to be teamed together. IMO, they both need line mates with some size. Way too easy to defend against.
Kadri soft

u obviously dont watch the leafs too often

Old
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
calcal798

Quote:
We might see that before the end of the season TBH. With Kadri's emergence we may see a top-6 that looks like:

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin

Personally I'm fine with that. I like Bozak as a #3C too, and I especially like McClement as the #4C - he makes that line capable of sustaining a regular shift. He can also scale up the 3rd or 2nd lines on the wing late in the game to for extra defensive responsibilities.

That means our 3rd looks like:

Komarov-Bozak-Kulemin

Again, I'm fine there too. I like Kulemin's game in a more limited role, and that's a great shut-down line.
If were doing that, and Kuli is going to our third line, I would be more opened to trading him. If we sent him to Pittsburgh for say, Joe Morrow + 3rd or Harrington/Maata + 1st, it would open up space for Ashton to come in and replace (tbh if hes on our third line, I think Ashton could do an okay job, we may be better off getting a decent return for him and someone else taking that role).

My third line would be:

Mcclement-Bozak-Ashton

I think Komarov should be 4th line center. Hes been good on the draws and Mcclement would be much more useful in that shutdown role.

Last edited by calcal798: 02-08-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Marlboro

Quote:
Kadri soft

u obviously dont watch the leafs too often
Kadri just need to hit the weights, cause his only problem is his strength

Old
02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
topched

Quote:
LOL. Yeah since all these years with Kessel scoring 30 goals that monster Tyler Bozak has really been making room for that pipsqueak Phil.

Its nonsense, you just need one power aspect on the line, whether its Frattin, or JVR or Lupul, thats more than enough size to compensate for two league-average sized forwards at 6' and a hair under 200lbs.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro View Post
Kadri just need to hit the weights, cause his only problem is his strength

his strength has improved a great deal, doesn't fall now it seems, plus will improve even more, as time goes on.
his d game is soo much better, that randy is giving him shifts late in games, plus on the PK

Old
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
dimi78

Quote:
I agree that I don't see them as a good mix up as linemates 5 on 5 but not with what you see. PP is different though and Kadri should be on the 1st PP.

Kadri soft? Are you insane and I'm not kidding. Lets just say when a game gets chippy keep an eye out for Kadri you will be shocked with Kadri. There's a Darcy Tucker in this kid and can be very dirty at times... Soft is not a word to describe Kadri at all.

The reason why I think the 2 of them wont work together 5 on 5 is that both players are at there best when they have the puck on there stick making the plays... There's not enough pucks for the 2 of them on the same line and think it will be a turnover show. Having said that on the PP however it's completely different cause they will have time to set things up where there skill, vision and dangling will give teams fits trying to contain with a man short.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
LOL. Yeah since all these years with Kessel scoring 30 goals that monster Tyler Bozak has really been making room for that pipsqueak Phil.

Its nonsense, you just need one power aspect on the line, whether its Frattin, or JVR or Lupul, thats more than enough size to compensate for two league-average sized forwards at 6' and a hair under 200lbs.
I think for a combo of Kadri-Kessel, Frattin would do a sufficient job. Guys solid and has a nose for the net (and isn't afraid to go into the corners). What more could you ask for.

Lupol might actually work well with Grabo and JvR, they are both guys that like to shoot, and Lupol is a pretty solid playmaker. That could round out a solid top six.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Here's a must read for those wanting to trade to get Ovechkin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...x-ovechkin/?gj
I think Ovi will return to Russia in a year or two and play for a team who will let Ovi be Ovi.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I think for a combo of Kadri-Kessel, Frattin would do a sufficient job. Guys solid and has a nose for the net (and isn't afraid to go into the corners). What more could you ask for.

Lupol might actually work well with Grabo and JvR, they are both guys that like to shoot, and Lupol is a pretty solid playmaker. That could round out a solid top six.
Frattin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Lupul
Kulemin - Bozak - Ashton (trade MacA for a pick/prospect)
Orr/McLearan - McClement - Komarov/Brown

??

Old
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Frattin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Lupul
Kulemin - Bozak - Ashton (trade MacA for a pick/prospect)
Orr/McLearan - McClement - Komarov/Brown

??
I'm really pondering the idea of shipping Kuli to Pittsburgh to get a 1st and a prospect (or just Joe Morrow if they want). But that would be the best way to have our lineup with the skill spread out.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'm really pondering the idea of shipping Kuli to Pittsburgh to get a 1st and a prospect (or just Joe Morrow if they want). But that would be the best way to have our lineup with the skill spread out.
makes sense. I love Kulemin but he's a UFA in 2014. I can see a guy like Ashton replacing him

Old
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
makes sense. I love Kulemin but he's a UFA in 2014. I can see a guy like Ashton replacing him
True .. Unless Kule gets his offense going like he did a couple seasons ago, he has tremendous value right now .. Could be a chip at the deadline for a bigger move, or get a good prospect/pick for him

Old
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Yeah I agree. Short-term loss for a long term gain.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
pspot

Ovie for Lu?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
True .. Unless Kule gets his offense going like he did a couple seasons ago, he has tremendous value right now .. Could be a chip at the deadline for a bigger move, or get a good prospect/pick for him
I wonder if there's a bigger move we could make around him and others to give us an even better winger?

*Perry*

Old
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Still want Nino from the Isles ... Trade Kule to the Pens for Morrow, MacA for a 1st or 2nd .. Package that asset acquired from the MacA trade with a B type prospect in a deal for Nino

I wish...

Old
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
ChuckWoods

Apparently Anaheim managment is actively pursuing both Getzlaf and Perry in attempts to extend their contracts.

As well, they've mentioned they'll be looking to continue to bring in depth to push this team even further in hopes that it shows its big 3 that they're contenders and that is the place they want to be.

So for anyone holding their breath that Toronto was a realistic option for Getzlaf or Perry, may not want to.

Getzlaf and Perry both love Anaheim, they were just biding their time to see what direction the Ducks were headed in, and if they were pleased, discussions would begin.

I can see them both agreeing to take a small 'discount' in order to stay in Anaheim and continue to pursue the playoffs.

Another team that may be looking to make some noise through player movement in the west is the Wild.

They feel as if they have a legitimate chance at making noise in the playoffs with the additions of Parise and Suter, but have seen some growing pains.

They may need a slight shake up to get this team in gear and there's several pieces in Toronto that could help a struggling Minnesota Wild. They'd need to send some salary out, but they'll have more salary to work with closer to the deadline.

Both of these teams could be very real destinations for the likes of Clarke Macarthur and Cody Franson. (One or the other)

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 02-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Closed Thread