HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I don't see it. Pavelec is due to get a lot of coin in the coming seasons and I doubt Winnipeg will buy him out, so they are either stuck with him or they trade him. The trade market for a goalie paid that well who is struggling isn't very good, ask Bryzgalov. And if he turns it around, then why deal him?

And if he doesn't turn it around, the Jets will give him every chance to do so before they give up. As such, I'd be shocked if he's not essentially guaranteed to be the Jets starter until sometime into next season, no matter how bad he is.

Bernier will likely be moved by then.

As for the deal, on a pure value aspect, I'd be all over the 2nd+Postma+Montoya deal. Postma I think is a severely underrated prospect who will be a very good two-way defender, but that said, that's not what the Kings really need and would just be to much behind Doughty, Voynov and Martinez. Redmond meanwhile would fit in a bit better, but his cost likely shouldn't be very much.

I can't see Winnipeg on the radar for Bernier, but if he was, and if a defenseman was part of the deal (which seems very likely under the current situation) I'd imagine the defenseman coming the other way would be Mark Stuart. His cap hit is very reasonable ($1.7 mill) and he's signed into next year and plays a style somewhat similar to Rob Scuderi, who is a UFA after the season. And odds are DL is looking to trim some payroll while staying competitive for next year as we will be very tight to the cap.

Bernier for Stuart and a 2nd?
Mark Stuart is more Matt Greene than Rob Scuderi. He hits hard, but is not good positionally and does not have a very good first pass. He is almost exactly Matt Greene, good shot blocker, clears the net, charcter player. But not even close to someone you want in your top 4. If the Kings wanted someone to replace Scuderi, they'd be better off targeting Ron Hainsey. He plays a safe game and can handle tough minutes unlike Stuart. He is UFA, but he can probably be had for much less than Scuderi on his next contract.

Honestly, I would put Postma above Martinez at this point. I think Martinez is struggling a little with the top 4 role, seems like he is going to be more suited to the bottom pairing role. Postma has yet to get a serious chance in a top 4 role, but he is dynamite in the bottom pairing role (better than even Martinez, IMO) not quite as good defensively maybe (but damn close), but a better skater, better shot, better offensive awareness, better first pass, etc. I really like Postma and would not want to trade him, but I like Bernier and the Jets problems are in net.

Don't think Jets are ready to give up on Pavelec, particularly with that contract, but having a goalie to push Pavelec might help him regain his focus. He has not been that same since his strong 10-11 when Chris Mason was getting his fair share of starts. I don't think he can handle a regular stater role, starting to look like 1a or 1b type goalie, and a Bernier to push him might make for a great tandem.

But your probably right that the Jets will try to ride Pavelec for now. It's a disappointing since they are ready in all areas to take the next step and the goaltending is killing them right now. We are outplaying opponents, but have had some really disappointing goaltending that is holding the Jets back.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:32 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I like the main board with the talk of Richards somehow being involved in a deal for Kessel.

Not. Going. To. Happen.
Richards is the kind of player that gives Lombardi wood, he's not trading him

Old
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
So what do you guys think we do at the deadline? Go after Iginla or at this point are we more worried about getting some defensive depth? I don't see Willie being back anytime soon, unfortunately. =/
Lombardi hasn't traded for a defenseman since Greene. That's almost 5 years ago. Doesn't mean one thing or another, I just think it's interesting.

My question is with the Cup in their back pocket, if the Kings are sitting between 7th and 10th by the deadline, where it could go either way, is it all in with this group that won a Cup and earned a chance to win another, and deal with the consequences later, or does the Cup buy time and allow some breathing room if this just isn't the Kings year?

No 1st round pick to trade this year. Could nibble around the edges of the roster, but what would that bring back? Some prospects you could trade, but how much more of the future do you want to give up after the Richards/Carter/Penner deals?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:44 AM
SuperAlmeida

What about King, Penner and Bernier to Washington for MJ, a backup goalie (Holtby/Neuvirth) and a pick?

Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
What about King, Penner and Bernier to Washington for MJ, a backup goalie (Holtby/Neuvirth) and a pick?
I think we could do better trading those guys off individually

Old
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Mark Stuart is more Matt Greene than Rob Scuderi. He hits hard, but is not good positionally and does not have a very good first pass. He is almost exactly Matt Greene, good shot blocker, clears the net, charcter player. But not even close to someone you want in your top 4. If the Kings wanted someone to replace Scuderi, they'd be better off targeting Ron Hainsey. He plays a safe game and can handle tough minutes unlike Stuart. He is UFA, but he can probably be had for much less than Scuderi on his next contract.
Hainsey I could see LA going after, but I don't see him being in a deal for Bernier. I'd figure if LA is going to trade for a rental, it'd be a big one, like Iginla for example. If the Jets are out of it at or near the deadline and we are still in it, then I could see us flipping a 2nd or so to the Jets for Hainsey.

I still like Stuart though, and I think that whoever we get, if we get someone signed beyond this year, will be more of a bottom pairing guy. I expect our top 4 to be Doughty-Willie-Voynov-Martinez next year.

Quote:
Honestly, I would put Postma above Martinez at this point. I think Martinez is struggling a little with the top 4 role, seems like he is going to be more suited to the bottom pairing role. Postma has yet to get a serious chance in a top 4 role, but he is dynamite in the bottom pairing role (better than even Martinez, IMO) not quite as good defensively maybe (but damn close), but a better skater, better shot, better offensive awareness, better first pass, etc. I really like Postma and would not want to trade him, but I like Bernier and the Jets problems are in net.
Yeah, I think Postma is severely underrated too. I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Martinez yet, but he is much better than people believe. I just don't know if he'd fit what the Kings are likely seeking, which is likely a physical type of blueliner.

Quote:
Don't think Jets are ready to give up on Pavelec, particularly with that contract, but having a goalie to push Pavelec might help him regain his focus. He has not been that same since his strong 10-11 when Chris Mason was getting his fair share of starts. I don't think he can handle a regular stater role, starting to look like 1a or 1b type goalie, and a Bernier to push him might make for a great tandem.
Good point, though I think if they are going to get someone to push him it'd be a veteran similar to a Mason, not a kid that would cost a lot of assets and who does NEED to play regularly, like Bernier.

Quote:
But your probably right that the Jets will try to ride Pavelec for now. It's a disappointing since they are ready in all areas to take the next step and the goaltending is killing them right now. We are outplaying opponents, but have had some really disappointing goaltending that is holding the Jets back.
Sounds like the Jets of old!

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Take that and run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I think we could do better trading those guys off individually
Honestly, I doubt we'd get Johansson for that package, nevermind adding in Holtby and a pick. Johansson and Holtby are struggling right now, but so is the entire Caps team aside from Ribiero. When Joel Ward has arguably been your second best forward overall, you're slumping.

Johansson has massive upside, I can't see Bernier fetching him, and King isn't worth a ton, despite his playoff heroics. Penner's value is once again almost nil.

I agree with the other poster who said a deal for Hamrlik could be what DL's looking at. After the whole fiasco in the off-season of Hamrlik *****ing about the NHLPA and Brouwer lashing back at him, it could cause some locker room discomfort, and Hamrlik is a UFA after the season, so he may want to go to a contender as well. We need a D-man but we may not want one for beyond this season. It fits. Not to mention Washington has nine defensemen once Erskine comes back.

Heck, factoring in Hamrlik's comments about Hunter last year, I wouldn't doubt he's itching to get out of Washington.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Kings have acquired Keaton Ellerby.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
LAK announce acquisition of defenceman Keaton Ellerby from FLA for a 5th-round draft choice.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
funky

like the trade

Loktionov for Ellerby basically

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Kings have acquired Keaton Ellerby.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
LAK announce acquisition of defenceman Keaton Ellerby from FLA for a 5th-round draft choice.
The plan all along.

Loktionov for Ellerby.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Well, at least we did something. Offense still needs to step up though.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

Our pick or NJD pick? just curious, doesnt matter really...

Old
02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think this is a smart DL shake up sort of thing.

Nothing big but measured.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Hopefully this means Muzzin sits, he's been a big pylon of late.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Low risk, high reward. Ellerby was a top 10 pick in 2007, so he could have some upside and even if he doesn't, he should help fill the gap until Mitchell returns. Cap hit of just $700K and he is a RFA after the season. Perfect.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'd be ok with trading King and Muzzin for a banger on the bottom six. The Kings could use a Jared Boll, Zach Rinaldo, Chris Neil type of forward who can hit hard, contribute occasionally, and get under the oppositions skin. While Clifford and Nolan are physical, big bodied forwards, the Kings need someone who can be more abrasive and get in players' faces.

If the Sabres are looking to make changes, and considering that they already have Ott, I would be ecstatic to see them swing a deal for Patrick Kaleta.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I agree Ziggy, though personally I'd vomit if I had to cheer for Kaleta

Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
guderian

Kaleta would be good fit, but he has some history with those head/neck injuries

Old
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Being from Buffalo and seeing every Sabres game, I have no desire to have Patrick Kaleta on this team.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Friends don't let friends trade for Kaleta

Old
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Maybe he's damaged goods now, but last I remember of Kaleta was him throwing hits like this:

Old
02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Maybe he's damaged goods now, but last I remember of Kaleta was him throwing hits like this:
Throws a check goes straight off the ice with the puck sitting behind the net...

Old
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
damacles1156

Maybe it's time to see what Anthony Stewart has left. What exactly is Richardson still doing on the roster ?

Richardson is also pretty expensive for a depth player.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well, at least we did something. Offense still needs to step up though.
I don't think there is any calvary coming for the forwards. These guys are going to have to step up and do what they are getting paid to do.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:34 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't think there is any calvary coming for the forwards. These guys are going to have to step up and do what they are getting paid to do.
Spot on.

There is no excuse for the top six to vanish nightly. You can cry system blah blah blah, Fact is they are being compensated GREATLY to score. The day's of blaming coaching ARE OVER.

The Kings top six was over 2.8 goals a game from February of last year all through the playoff's.

So they can do it, it's just a matter of wanting too.

Closed Thread