HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Ticket Prices (Part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
  #1001
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post

Also, how many STH's out there attend 50% of their games? I bet most people go to around 25% given the high expense/time of traveling to and eating at MSG.
I attend over 90% of the games. I havn't missed a game this year, and went to every playoff game last year. And I have a 2 hour commute to MSG, by the way

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
  #1002
MessierIsGod
Registered User
 
MessierIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Anyone know what Press Box Seating is? I them on SH for the TB game.

MessierIsGod is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  #1003
cjc5103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I attend over 90% of the games. I havn't missed a game this year, and went to every playoff game last year. And I have a 2 hour commute to MSG, by the way
Now that's pretty impressive. I don't think I could find time to go to 90% of the games, even if I lived right next to MSG.

I wish they would bring back the 7:30pm start time...

cjc5103 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
  #1004
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post
Also, how many STH's out there attend 50% of their games? I bet most people go to around 25% given the high expense/time of traveling to and eating at MSG.
You nailed it on the head for me. I live in Central Jersey. Between train and a meal I am in for $100 for my son and I plus the cost of the tickets.

I go to about 15 games (Normal season) a year, sell the rest and try to break even for the year (In essence go to 15 free games).
It doesn't work out that way every year, but it did last year.

This is what ALOT of Giant fans do. I know about a dozen people with tickets and as you get older and have families it's difficult to commit 8 Sundays a year. They all go to 3 or 4 games and sell the rest and get their money back.

Pro sports teams underestimate the portion of their STH base who are in my category IMO. When you raise prices to try to match perceived market value you will wind up with a decreasing STH base and empty seats (Yankees) no matter how good the team is.

Cliffy1814 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
  #1005
cjc5103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
You nailed it on the head for me. I live in Central Jersey. Between train and a meal I am in for $100 for my son and I plus the cost of the tickets.

I go to about 15 games (Normal season) a year, sell the rest and try to break even for the year (In essence go to 15 free games).
It doesn't work out that way every year, but it did last year.

This is what ALOT of Giant fans do. I know about a dozen people with tickets and as you get older and have families it's difficult to commit 8 Sundays a year. They all go to 3 or 4 games and sell the rest and get their money back.

Pro sports teams underestimate the portion of their STH base who are in my category IMO. When you raise prices to try to match perceived market value you will wind up with a decreasing STH base and empty seats (Yankees) no matter how good the team is.
I'm also from Central Jersey and that's the main reason why it's prevent me from being a STH. Besides the fact that I'm currently living in DC, I'm just not able to sell (break even) or recoup losses from transportation. Whether you drive or metro, $100 per game as far as costs is pretty rough.

I think the Rangers are definitely looking at the demand and have jacked up prices for this season and will continue to the next few years. It's sad but that's what Dolan can do since it's also New York. It's insane to think that the cheapest seats in the building are $50 and the people who get it have at least 20 years tenure.

Anyone who wants to get in next season will likely have to start in the lowers at $150 per ticket which is unrealistic for 95% of the population. Imagine paying $400 per game lol. Wow.

cjc5103 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
  #1006
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Assuming.. the Rangers make the playoffs and they are knocked out in the 2nd round...

How much will MSG raise tix prices for the 2013-2014 season?

How much will the $150 / 90 /79/ 55 tix cost next yr?

Thoughts?

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
  #1007
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
assuming.. The rangers make the playoffs and they are knocked out in the 2nd round...

How much will msg raise tix prices for the 2013-2014 season?

How much will the $150 / 90 /79/ 55 tix cost next yr?

Thoughts?
$155 / $95 / $85 / $58

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
  #1008
MessierIsGod
Registered User
 
MessierIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
$155 / $95 / $85 / $58
I think the $60 gap between row 1 and 2 will narrow.

MessierIsGod is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
  #1009
Cmf1125
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
I think the $60 gap between row 1 and 2 will narrow.
Would they ever actually lower prices (i.e., lower the $150/$125 for the 1st rows? or it's more likely they raise all the other prices to lower the gap...

Cmf1125 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
  #1010
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
I think the $60 gap between row 1 and 2 will narrow.
The only difference between row 2 and rows 3 on back is a couple inches of extra leg room. Row 1 is the premium seating...the only row that can claim nobody in front of you. And they have the TVs and cup holders which is a nice bonus too. In essence the row 1 seats are the upper bowl equivalent of the lower level rinkside seating, which cost hundreds per ticket more than the seats in the next several rows. So basically I'm not sure how much they can increase row 2 seats without having those people bail to rows 3 and beyond.


Last edited by broadwayblue: 02-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
  #1011
MessierIsGod
Registered User
 
MessierIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmf1125 View Post
Would they ever actually lower prices (i.e., lower the $150/$125 for the 1st rows? or it's more likely they raise all the other prices to lower the gap...
Probably not. They will simply increase the first row less. As example, the lower rows of 100s corner were increased $5 (from $165 to $170) while the upper rows were increased $12 (from $120 to $132) narrowing the gap. As great as first row is, the $60 difference is too much and that will be corrected. Otherwise, those seats will be empty.

MessierIsGod is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
  #1012
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Assuming.. the Rangers make the playoffs and they are knocked out in the 2nd round...

How much will MSG raise tix prices for the 2013-2014 season?

How much will the $150 / 90 /79/ 55 tix cost next yr?

Thoughts?
$55 seats? Do you mean $50 and $53?

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  #1013
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm not sure how much they can increase Row 2 seats without having those people bail to rows 3 and beyond.
Because row 3 and beyond are not available. That's why they can charge so much, because for a lot a people it's pay that or get nothing

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
  #1014
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Because row 3 and beyond are not available. That's why they can charge so much, because for a lot a people it's pay that or get nothing
Well the Row 2 goal seats are currently the same price as the Row 3-15 center seating. However they calculated the prices for the various sections they obviously determined they were of similar value going into this season. I'm not sure they will all of a sudden change their calculation to determine that going forward Row 2 in the ends are now worth more than Row 3 centers. But that said, this is the Rangers...if they can squeeze us for more money they won't hesitate to do so.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
  #1015
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
its scary to think about what my seats could cost in 10-15 years. I keep thinking they cant go up every year or 2 but thats wishful thinking

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  #1016
Trident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
if they send us the renewal notices in March, as they did last year, it doesn't matter how well the team finishes or how far they go into the playoffs, the ticket prices would be set. So if they would have collapsed at the end of last season and missed the playoffs, ticket prices would be the same as where they currently are.
It wasn't too long ago you'd get your renewal notices after the season ended.

Trident is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  #1017
OKnumber25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
if they send us the renewal notices in March, as they did last year, it doesn't matter how well the team finishes or how far they go into the playoffs, the ticket prices would be set. So if they would have collapsed at the end of last season and missed the playoffs, ticket prices would be the same as where they currently are.
It wasn't too long ago you'd get your renewal notices after the season ended.
I'd hesitate to judge future timing by the last couple of years. Remember they had the complicated seat moving issue to deal with.

OKnumber25 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
  #1018
OKnumber25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well the Row 2 goal seats are currently the same price as the Row 3-15 center seating. However they calculated the prices for the various sections they obviously determined they were of similar value going into this season. I'm not sure they will all of a sudden change their calculation to determine that going forward Row 2 in the ends are now worth more than Row 3 centers. But that said, this is the Rangers...if they can squeeze us for more money they won't hesitate to do so.
Ticket exchange gives MSG a database of what the actual marketplace really is. You can be certain they will use this info to set prices going forward.

I am currently a STH in the BLUE SEATS which cost $47. I doubt that price will last long.

I believe day of week and/or time of season and/or who is the opponent pricing will be coming one of these years

OKnumber25 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
  #1019
Trident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
To OKnumber 25

i think the almost 25% increase in my ticket prices more than compensates them for a complicated seating issue.
I don't care when they send future invoices as they will never lower the prices. The timing of the invoices sent last year with the steep hikes was perfect for them and I find it no coincidence it was early. They struck when the iron was hot and thus far have been successful.


Last edited by Trident: 02-08-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Trident is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  #1020
Tikkanese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
I got to about 50-60% of the games. Depends on if I'm in town or traveling for business.

Tikkanese is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
  #1021
Tikkanese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post
Hey guys,

A few general questions regarding Rangers season tickets. My buddy and I were thinking about getting them and splitting them up among a few friends next season. I tried this season but the reps said that the only pairs they had were in the $114 Lower End Seats.

1. Even during it's a highly anticipated season, are STH having issues selling non-marquee weekday games? There's definitely a chance that we won't be able to make the weekday games, and it'd be consistently difficult to take a loss on those.

2. Is getting into the upper bowl for a pair next season next to impossible? I read a majority are trying to downsize from Lower Bowl to Upper Bowl.

3. Any NYR perks such as season ticket holder happy hr, free events, q&a's available to STH? I'm a STH for the Wizard's NBA team and you can imagine they offer something every week lol.

4. Anyone know if any of the 400 level seats are worth it? On their site, tickets are less than $50 a game, which would be great.

Any advise would be great.
Thanks for the help guys.
1. I used to be able to sell my tickets pretty easily, even for weeknight games. I upgraded this season to Row 1 seats in section 225, and they've been impossible to move for a profit on TicketsNow (can't tell if that's because TicketsNow is terrible or because the premium between Row 1 and Rows 2+ is too high). I love the seats, but it makes being a STH even more expensive for me, because I travel a lot for work and have to miss some games.

2. I would expect some Row 1 seats in the upper bowl corners will be available for new STHs next season, just base on my experience. If I could do it over, I would take Row 2 seats, and I expect others are having a similar experience.

3. I don't really take advantage of most of the "participation" STH events (Casino night, Fan Forum, etc). I liked the autographed stick this season, and I really lied the open skate when they did it. From my understanding, the Rangers are relatively weak on "extras" compared to other teams.

4. I personally have never liked sitting in the 400s, though I haven't been there since the renovation. Always felt I would be better off at a good sports bar.

Tikkanese is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
  #1022
Blueshirt67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc5103 View Post
Hey guys,

A few general questions regarding Rangers season tickets. My buddy and I were thinking about getting them and splitting them up among a few friends next season. I tried this season but the reps said that the only pairs they had were in the $114 Lower End Seats.

1. Even during it's a highly anticipated season, are STH having issues selling non-marquee weekday games? There's definitely a chance that we won't be able to make the weekday games, and it'd be consistently difficult to take a loss on those.

2. Is getting into the upper bowl for a pair next season next to impossible? I read a majority are trying to downsize from Lower Bowl to Upper Bowl.

3. Any NYR perks such as season ticket holder happy hr, free events, q&a's available to STH? I'm a STH for the Wizard's NBA team and you can imagine they offer something every week lol.

4. Anyone know if any of the 400 level seats are worth it? On their site, tickets are less than $50 a game, which would be great.

Any advise would be great.
Thanks for the help guys.
$114 seats will be hard to make a profit on every game but if you really want to be a STH, I think you missed the boat. This year those seats would have cost you $5500 for the pair and it was a great opportunity to get your foot in the door without paying 9400 for a full season. You could also have made some money back on playoffs, assuming we have a bunch of playoff games at the garden this year.

Blueshirt67 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
  #1023
Isles hat
E N F O R C E R
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Suffolk County
Country: United States
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Hello everyone...I want to get to a ranger game this year.

Anyone selling a pair for the Wednesday, Penns-4/3 game?

I would consider another game if you dont have the 4/3game.

Doesnt matter what section

PM please

Thanks

Isles hat is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:14 PM
  #1024
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Anyone going to the Q&A on Friday?

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  #1025
Socs5199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Anyone going to the Q&A on Friday?

I will be there. What should I expect?

Socs5199 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.