HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
BertCorbeau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Apparently Anaheim managment is actively pursuing both Getzlaf and Perry in attempts to extend their contracts.

As well, they've mentioned they'll be looking to continue to bring in depth to push this team even further in hopes that it shows its big 3 that they're contenders and that is the place they want to be.

So for anyone holding their breath that Toronto was a realistic option for Getzlaf or Perry, may not want to.

Getzlaf and Perry both love Anaheim, they were just biding their time to see what direction the Ducks were headed in, and if they were pleased, discussions would begin.

I can see them both agreeing to take a small 'discount' in order to stay in Anaheim and continue to pursue the playoffs.

Another team that may be looking to make some noise through player movement in the west is the Wild.

They feel as if they have a legitimate chance at making noise in the playoffs with the additions of Parise and Suter, but have seen some growing pains.

They may need a slight shake up to get this team in gear and there's several pieces in Toronto that could help a struggling Minnesota Wild. They'd need to send some salary out, but they'll have more salary to work with closer to the deadline.

Both of these teams could be very real destinations for the likes of Clarke Macarthur and Cody Franson.
Would love to try and sneak one of Brodin or Coyle in a trade for one (or both) of those players .. Maybe add in a first or second rounder

Old
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Would love to try and sneak one of Brodin or Coyle in a trade for one (or both) of those players .. Maybe add in a first or second rounder
Cant see Minnesota moving Coyle or Brodin for anything short of Phil Kessel.

Managment loves these kids and feel as if they can step in right now and contribute.

Coyle himself has had impressive games already in Minnesota and has found himself playing some quality minutes.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I'd move Mac or Franson for a 1st from Minny. They're a team IMO that could go either way, even with their two new signings I still think they're in a dogfight for a playoff spot.

The pick would be a mid-first with an outside shot of being in the draft lottery.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
BertCorbeau

Quote:
Cant see Minnesota moving Coyle or Brodin for anything short of Phil Kessel.

Managment loves these kids and feel as if they can step in right now and contribute.

Coyle himself has had impressive games already in Minnesota and has found himself playing some quality minutes.
Had to burst my bubble eh Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'd move Mac or Franson for a 1st from Minny. They're a team IMO that could go either way, even with their two new signings I still think they're in a dogfight for a playoff spot.

The pick would be a mid-first with an outside shot of being in the draft lottery.
Quite acceptable

Old
02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Defense

Quote:
Apparently Anaheim managment is actively pursuing both Getzlaf and Perry in attempts to extend their contracts.

As well, they've mentioned they'll be looking to continue to bring in depth to push this team even further in hopes that it shows its big 3 that they're contenders and that is the place they want to be.

So for anyone holding their breath that Toronto was a realistic option for Getzlaf or Perry, may not want to.

Getzlaf and Perry both love Anaheim, they were just biding their time to see what direction the Ducks were headed in, and if they were pleased, discussions would begin.

I can see them both agreeing to take a small 'discount' in order to stay in Anaheim and continue to pursue the playoffs.

Another team that may be looking to make some noise through player movement in the west is the Wild.

They feel as if they have a legitimate chance at making noise in the playoffs with the additions of Parise and Suter, but have seen some growing pains.

They may need a slight shake up to get this team in gear and there's several pieces in Toronto that could help a struggling Minnesota Wild. They'd need to send some salary out, but they'll have more salary to work with closer to the deadline.

Both of these teams could be very real destinations for the likes of Clarke Macarthur and Cody Franson. (One or the other)
Id like to see Toronto keep Franson. He is only 25 has 5 points in 8 games and has a good shot. Plus he is our only right handed defenseman which are hard to find and he plays solid defense. I believe there is still a lot of untapped potential in this guy. MacArthur though can be traded for picks.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Id like to see Toronto keep Franson. He is only 25 has 5 points in 8 games and has a good shot. Plus he is our only right handed defenseman which are hard to find and he plays solid defense. I believe there is still a lot of untapped potential in this guy. MacArthur though can be traded for picks.
It would be interesting to see Franson's CORSI /Qualcomp so far this year. My guess is he's playing limited 3rd pairing minutes and some PP time, hense his stats. I still see him giving pucks away in our own end, being far too soft with his first touch passes in our own zone. However, that can be coached. He also went for a big hit in Winnipeg, I liked that too, although he got clobbered himself on it.

Offensively, I like what I see from him. Overall, he contributes enough to not be spare parts, but not enough to lock him into a top-4 role without a better partner playing alongside him.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
I completely agree about Franson.

He's a big strong guy, who can move the puck, has a great shot from the point and is still young enough to move forward with this core.

The only concern are his intentions after this season as a UFA.

There is a real risk that we lose him for nothing if he doesn't see constistant time within this line up.

If he does see minutes and produces is where the real questions begin;

- Do you keep him and try to give him Top 4 minutes with the likes of Dion, Gardiner, Reilly already being locks for these spots in the future? What happens to Gunnarsson and JM Liles? What about Komisarek, Fraser and Holzer?

or

- Do you move him for a max return, gather more assets for the future and continue to platoon Carl Gunnarsson and JM Liles who are more than adequate to fill that spot? The bottom pairing role can be filled with the likes of Komisarek, Holzer, Fraser and the futures of Blacker, Finn and Percy.

It's all about keeping the assets coming full circle to keep this team competitive for years to come.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:

He's a big strong guy, who can move the puck, has a great shot from the point and is still young enough to move forward with this core.

There is a real risk that we lose him for nothing if he doesn't see constistant time within this line up.

- Do you keep him and try to give him Top 4 minutes with the likes of Dion, Gardiner, Reilly already being locks for these spots in the future? What happens to Gunnarsson and JM Liles? What about Komisarek, Fraser and Holzer?

or

- Do you move him for a max return, gather more assets for the future and continue to platoon Carl Gunnarsson and JM Liles who are more than adequate to fill that spot? The bottom pairing role can be filled with the likes of Komisarek, Holzer, Fraser and the futures of Blacker, Finn and Percy.

It's all about keeping the assets coming full circle to keep this team competitive for years to come.
anything happening on the kessel front, it seems its losing traction

Old
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Chuck any idea if Philips might be available, I think h emight be a long time project that'll blossom if given the chance

02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan10 View Post
There really isn't any "traction".

There was just a simple statement that the phone lines are open and Nonis is listening.

This really doesn't mean much since he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Chuck any idea if Philips might be available, I think h emight be a long time project that'll blossom if given the chance
He would certainly be a realistic target to be moved if Minnesota were to be in the buyers market.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:

There was just a simple statement that the phone lines are open and Nonis is listening.

This really doesn't mean much since he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't listen.
This was my thought on it as well. Nonis is asked the question if he's trading Kessel or not, he just says, I'm listening. That doesn't mean he's trading him. That just means his ears are open to the idea of trading Kessel.

02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
its simple .....the traction is in kessel's court ,,,,,he gives a hometown discount or he is gone .....burke messed up the whole equation by paying him 5 years too early

Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:

true....but has there been interest...there prob is but is it more than just kicking the tires?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
true....but has there been interest...there prob is but is it more than just kicking the tires?
Of course there is interest in Phil Kessel.

As I said earlier, if this season didn't lock out and he scored another 30 goals, he'd be in some pretty impressive company in terms of consecutive 30 goal seasons, and he's only 25 years old.

But at this point, I cannot see any REAL offers coming in for Phil since many teams are still trying to find their identities.

Lets say we do move Phil Kessel... How many years do you think it would take us to find a legitimate 30 goal scorer that could be here for the next 10 years and produce at the same rate? No he's not a franchise player, but he's a fantastic compliment that any contending team needs to be a real threat.

Unless the return is a no brainer, Phil Kessel isn't going anywhere.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:

As I said earlier, if this season didn't lock out and he scored another 30 goals, he'd be in some pretty impressive company in terms of consecutive 30 goal seasons, and he's only 25 years old.

But at this point, I cannot see any REAL offers coming in for Phil since many teams are still trying to find their identities.

Lets say we do move Phil Kessel... How many years do you think it would take us to find a legitimate 30 goal scorer that could be here for the next 10 years and produce at the same rate? No he's not a franchise player, but he's a fantastic compliment that any contending team needs to be a real threat.

Either way, thank you for the insight about Perry/Getzlaf.

I figured the unlikelihood of their acquisition would be common knowledge but it seems people still dream

Old
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:

yeah.....i just have this need for a big trade lol
Do you think there will be more significant offers
and is there anything else new on the leafs trade front

Old
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Budsfan

Quote:

I agree, I don't think Kessel is going anywhere and hopefully we can sign him long term when his contract is up.

He is still only 25 and will be 26 when the contract is up, so an 8 year Maximum contract would take him to age 34, still a managable age but a decision at that time, would be made on his future with the Leafs.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
LOL. Yeah since all these years with Kessel scoring 30 goals that monster Tyler Bozak has really been making room for that pipsqueak Phil.

Its nonsense, you just need one power aspect on the line, whether its Frattin, or JVR or Lupul, thats more than enough size to compensate for two league-average sized forwards at 6' and a hair under 200lbs.
my point would be proven if the Leafs could ever earn a playoff spot. Kessel is invisible against boston, because they play rough playoff hockey, IMO Kessel needs some size/nastiness to enhance his game and give him room to put the puck in the net. Kadri reminds me of a little terrier, oh he's game, but a rotweiler would quickly tear him apart.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
my point would be proven if the Leafs could ever earn a playoff spot. Kessel is invisible against boston, because they play rough playoff hockey, IMO Kessel needs some size/nastiness to enhance his game and give him room to put the puck in the net. Kadri reminds me of a little terrier, oh he's game, but a rotweiler would quickly tear him apart.
Yeah I like that analogy.

No doubt Kessel would benefit from a big body guy who can control the puck down low. Either in the form of a LW or a C.

One thing thats been evident with Kessel throughout his time here is that he scores way more goals off the rush than he does in a more "set" offense (for lack of a better word) in the offensive zone. Alot of it has to do with the fact that he's been playing with guys like Bozak and Lupul who are quick and can cycle but aren't good enough to control the puck against the boards and hit kessel in the slot.

JVR is a guy who could develop into that... but a big body like Getzlaf or Thornton would be a huge asset.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Phil Kessel is a nice piece to lock-up long-term, especially if Getzlaf and Perry do re-sign and avoid testing the market.

However, committing 7+ million to him on perhaps a max-contract is not a smart move unless you clear out the overpaid secondary players, namely, Grabovski, Liles, and MacArthur. I would have also included Lupul, but I guess the Leafs think he is a core piece.

The reason that you need to get rid of these secondary players is because it's agreed that Phil Kessel is a piece you build around, but not the piece you build around. The financial cap space can go to better players and needs to be saved and/or used on these kinds of players.

The Leafs need to be smarter. Sometimes I think it's just one big joke with how they piss away money.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
pspot

Quote:

or

I always make the point that I think Franson should be a piece to keep because he's a right handed shot and Leafs need those to balance out Phanuef, Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner, Rielly

Chuck is that true statement? is it important to have a balance of left and right handed dmen?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I always make the point that I think Franson should be a piece to keep because he's a right handed shot and Leafs need those to balance out Phanuef, Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner, Rielly

Chuck is that true statement? is it important to have a balance of left and right handed dmen?
LOL @ you acting like Chuck created the game of hockey (no offense CW, you're the man )

It helps to have a balance of L/R imo, but I wouldn't not trade Franson because we "have to keep the balance". We've got so many dmen right now, I'd be more concerned with addressing that next offseason that not maximizing value for Franson because he shoots the right way.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
ErikP803

IMO you have to look at moving Liles before moving Franson, him and Fraser are forming a great third pairing with Franson being still young and has one of the, if not the best point shot on the team. A liles and macarthur package would return a first and a solid prospect I think, to a team with decent cap space and shot at the playoffs.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Franson has impressed me and I've been one of his biggest critics since he has been traded here. He's started to use his body and also started to be wiser defensively, however consistency is obvious the issue with him and the team in general. However for a guy who's 25...if we can get what he projects to be, he can be very valuable.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:

Yeah I agree. Dave Poulin was on TSN radio today and was asked about the Kessel trade situation. He said fans would be blown away at the amount of casual trade talk that occurs between GM's on a daily basis. It's all about gauging the needs of other teams (which can change on a daily basis) and throwing names around to see what could happen if a certain situation arises. There's a lot of "Would this player become available if ...... happens" and "What would you be looking for if this player becomes available in the future". No players are kept out of discussions, which is why fans shouldn't get so excited when guys like Dreger and Lebrun say that there have been "calls" or "discussions" about a certain player. This kind of thing happens all the time.

Closed Thread