The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
how can anyone try to come at fletchers career here and justify it? EVERYTHING he has done since he got here landed us Parise & Suter + one of the BEST prospect pools in the league.

I understand ppl's frustration with decisions like hiring Yeo, but stuff like that and the barker trade mean absolutly nothing to me because if we never did those things, would we still have landed the two biggest free agents last year? would we stilll have a top3 prospect pool?

think about it.. all sane wild fans knew this could be a problem, just because we pick up 2 incredible players, doesn't mean for instant success. IMO, this season is a wash... i think most rational fans would agree with me when i say that i believe in the next 1-3 years is when we should be making playoffs every year.

quick edit: Besides, if there was ever a year to incredibly suck and get a top 1-10 pick... its this one. Not that i would agree with this, but think about it.. wild management could easly drop little things in iviews talking about the shortened season and the long lock out being major factors in a terrible season, common fans would prob agree, and we wouldn't lose any fan base lol.
I'm just saying, eventually on-ice success starts to trump everything else. We're not quite at that point yet, but these next 2-3 years are very important for the Fletcher regime.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
JamesRanger

Can somebody with more hockey knowledge tell me how Yeo's offensive system is supposed to work? I always see one forward trying to forecheck 2 defenceman which fails 90% of the time. Then they usually concede an easy zone entry and then try to play defense. I have a hard to figuring out where things are going wrong.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not really sure on his offensive system, but he seems to like to work off the cycle a lot. When there's one forechecker that's more of a prevent the other team from breaking out rather than offense. Crossing the blue line they like to go wide with the puck but don't seem to have a guy driving to the net from the middle quick enough, probably because they aren't carrying the puck through the NZ as much as receiving a pass at the far blue line?

When the fourth lines are out though they do a good job of getting the puck in deep and sending two forecheckers. Just not with the top lines.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Really? Wes Walz has never coached at any level of the game outside of his kid's midget team. Come on. I love Wes Walz, but he's not a coach. I'd love to have him as the player liaison instead of Darby though.
Uh. He was an assistant at Tampa Bay for a year and really turned around Stamkos' game, Jarick

Old
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Eagle Claw

russo tweeted that granny is training as center for heater and seto

Yeo puts 2 ice cold guys were off one cant skate anymore!!!
And the other one is mentally locked badly with no success so far with granny?

How the hell is that supposed to work , does it sound like a great idea ????

It seems like several veteran wild players are either physically or mentally unprepared for the season , Wild simply dont have the tools to give enough effort to win.There is far to many that are unable to give enough blood for the cause.
Brodziak falk heater and so on are a disgrace for the badge they are beyond bad they are disgusting and this disease off mental or physical weakness is spreading
Now even Clutter and scandella are showing signs off collapse not to talk about bäckström that tries to play some KUNGFU style goalie when he's clearly mentally disturbed about the situation

Wild need to call the physically and mentally hungry guys from houston now

You waive trade and bench this trash and take people in the lineup that wants to get hit that wants to score unlike for example brodziak that
only waits for the pre game dinner or something cause on the ice he has 0% desire to go were the goals are done

Old
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh yeah, forgot. Well, never been a head coach. Still, I'd like him as that player liaison type, like whatever the hell Darby or Bombardir do. Put Bomber back on TV, he wasn't bad, give Darby like an equipment job so we don't have to watch his hands/hair on TV.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Granlund 64

Bomber is in the front office isn't he? Not a coach?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

"Director of Player Development" now. Can't recall if he's the guy who just kind of hangs around the team and players or if he's in the minors.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Pens fan here (live in Wisconny, so I also love the Wild), but I also catch all the Wild games on FSN that I can. I see some growing pains going on, not only from Yeo, but some of the youngsters as well. This whole shortened season is a hot mess for alot of teams. Hell, 2 weeks ago we wanted to fire Bylsma, fire Shero, make a trade, do anything to shake up the team. It sucks. It seemed like Sid, Geno and the rest of the cast were tuning out the coach. Not buying into the system. The turnovers and defensive lapses were atrocious!! Sound familiar? I think with having new faces and no training camp its really hurting the Wild right now. I would love for them to wait it out and right the ship (like what the Pens have done). But its damn tough to watch. There was NO EMOTION last night, the effort was pathetic. I guess all I really want to say is I feel your pain and I really hope they turn it around. I am really looking forward to watching a playoff game at the X this spring!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Bomber is flying around all over the place visiting all the kids in the system whether in college, juniors, or over seas. and the AHL of course.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
how can anyone try to come at fletchers career here and justify it? EVERYTHING he has done since he got here landed us Parise & Suter + one of the BEST prospect pools in the league.

I understand ppl's frustration with decisions like hiring Yeo, but stuff like that and the barker trade mean absolutly nothing to me because if we never did those things, would we still have landed the two biggest free agents last year? would we stilll have a top3 prospect pool?

think about it.. all sane wild fans knew this could be a problem, just because we pick up 2 incredible players, doesn't mean for instant success. IMO, this season is a wash... i think most rational fans would agree with me when i say that i believe in the next 1-3 years is when we should be making playoffs every year.

quick edit: Besides, if there was ever a year to incredibly suck and get a top 1-10 pick... its this one. Not that i would agree with this, but think about it.. wild management could easly drop little things in iviews talking about the shortened season and the long lock out being major factors in a terrible season, common fans would prob agree, and we wouldn't lose any fan base lol.
THIS!

Look at our ****ing ROSTER and FARM SYTEM compared to a couple years ago.. What in heavens name are ppl talking about..? K the coaching situation hasnt worked out so far.. But my gawd... we have all the talent here to make a run... Its because of him.

Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

I do think Yeo is not the guy, though.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Now, lets talk about the next level up! Fletcher has as much culpability as Yeo, he also needs to find another job. Sure the farm system is stronger, but his trades have been atrocious!
Absolutely. If Yeo is fired, that means the GM has failed twice at finding a coach. Pot meet kettle.

No coach is going to come in and make a top contender out of this mediocre, highly overpaid roster. Fletcher has no NHL equity built-up to save him. And to top it off, our vaunted farm system has shown serious cracks this year as most of the top prospects are not living up to expectations. Firing Yeo is putting a band-aid over a torpedo hole.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Granlund 64

Wait... Most top prospects aren't living up to expectations? I count one, maybe two in Granlund and Bulmer.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Absolutely. If Yeo is fired, that means the GM has failed twice at finding a coach. Pot meet kettle. .
It is very hard to evaluate a coach. He landed us lots of talent. Young and vet.

Quote:
No coach is going to come in and make a top contender out of this mediocre, highly overpaid roster. Fletcher has no NHL equity built-up to save him. And to top it off, our vaunted farm system has shown serious cracks this year as most of the top prospects are not living up to expectations. Firing Yeo is putting a band-aid over a torpedo hole.
Totally disagree.

We have stars in Suter, Parise and Koivu.
Guys like MiG, Coyle, Brodin, Zucker etc... in the farm.
Some decent cap space freeing up in the next two years.

I tkink that is very appealing.

Its the coach that makes the pieces work. Granlund has done it on an international level vs NHL competition. Zucker is the leading rookie in the AHL, well Schultz is but in the NHL now. Coyle looks very solid. Brodin is playing like a vet, forget his so young. Younger than all the gopher D men expet Skjei. Larrson is playing well.

If you build a fast car and your driver sucks, you do not fire the mechanic.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Pens fan here (live in Wisconny, so I also love the Wild), but I also catch all the Wild games on FSN that I can. I see some growing pains going on, not only from Yeo, but some of the youngsters as well. This whole shortened season is a hot mess for alot of teams. Hell, 2 weeks ago we wanted to fire Bylsma, fire Shero, make a trade, do anything to shake up the team. It sucks. It seemed like Sid, Geno and the rest of the cast were tuning out the coach. Not buying into the system. The turnovers and defensive lapses were atrocious!! Sound familiar? I think with having new faces and no training camp its really hurting the Wild right now. I would love for them to wait it out and right the ship (like what the Pens have done). But its damn tough to watch. There was NO EMOTION last night, the effort was pathetic. I guess all I really want to say is I feel your pain and I really hope they turn it around. I am really looking forward to watching a playoff game at the X this spring!
Great thoughts and thanks for posting. I have loads of family from Western PA so the Pens are my team as well. I was at one of the Pens playoff games when they won the Stanley Cup a few years back. I love both the Wild and the Pens.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Absolutely. If Yeo is fired, that means the GM has failed twice at finding a coach. Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Wait... Most top prospects aren't living up to expectations? I count one, maybe two in Granlund and Bulmer.
Three if you count Phillips. Hackett is working his way into the conversation, but that might just be ****** defense in front of him.

Still, it's not "most" of our top prospects.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Granlund 64

Forgot abot Philips. An indictment in its own right.

Thanks doc

Old
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
JamesRanger

I don't agree with the premise that Fletcher's future is tied to Yeo's. If Fletcher is let go without at LEAST 2 more years to let this team take shape it will be an injustice.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
I don't agree with the premise that Fletcher's future is tied to Yeo's. If Fletcher is let go without at LEAST 2 more years to let this team take shape it will be an injustice.
So if Yeo is let go, who hires the new coach?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
So if Yeo is let go, who hires the new coach?
Fletcher of course. I have to imagine he would pick a more proven candidate this time around. Fletcher has increased the talent level of this organization every year he has been here. Its easy to change coaches. Its hard assemble a talented organization.

There is so much fire and brimstone lately. Its a 3 game losing streak in a compacted season in which we saw a ton of influx of new players. Suddenly the whole management should be canned. If we lose another game should I expect to see a thread with a poll of which city the Wild should be relocated?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Last three games:

Wild: 0-3, 3 goals for, 9 goals against
XXX: 0-3, 5 goals for, 16 goals against

Who's the mystery team that's given up nearly twice as many goals as the Wild in that span?

-----
As you posted this:

StL 6-4, 12 pts. GF 33, GA 30
MN 4-5-1, 9 pts. GF 22, GA 28

You're trying to make what point? Because StL is in a small slump the Wild don't suck? Hitchcock sucks as bad as Yeo? Or just random numbers to confuse the issue?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Yeo has Fletcher's support

As expected.

Last edited by Fel 96: 02-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
Fletcher of course. I have to imagine he would pick a more proven candidate this time around. Fletcher has increased the talent level of this organization every year he has been here. Its easy to change coaches. Its hard assemble a talented organization.

There is so much fire and brimstone lately. Its a 3 game losing streak in a compacted season in which we saw a ton of influx of new players. Suddenly the whole management should be canned. If we lose another game should I expect to see a thread with a poll of which city the Wild should be relocated?
You'd trust him after two failures?

The justification you used not to fire the GM could easily be attributed to the coaching staff just as well.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
As you posted this:

StL 6-4, 12 pts. GF 33, GA 30
MN 4-5-1, 9 pts. GF 22, GA 28

You're trying to make what point? Because StL is in a small slump the Wild don't suck? Hitchcock sucks as bad as Yeo? Or just random numbers to confuse the issue?
Point is: even an "elite" team with an "elite" experienced, Cup-winning, defensive coach can SUCK for three games in a row.

Worth keeping an eye on? OF COURSE. Worth this level of panic? NO.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would not trust Fletcher to hire a third coach. I like Fletcher's scouting and drafting abilities, but if Yeo is a legit failure, we'll need a new GM. That's an IF.

Closed Thread