HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The Tampa series proved how little offensive talent we have outside of Sid/Geno.

And Sid was largely shutdown when Philly decided to play some semblance of defensive hockey. Geno had two top 6 linemates and couldn't consistently produce at ES against Philly's matchup.

We have secondary scoring issues whether you see them or not.
Yes, and Shero did nothing, and Sid coming back actually screwed up the teams chemistry. They were scoring plenty of goals, but they were finding it very hard to stop them.

They scored 26 goals in 6 games. In the playoffs

This year they're only behind, Tampa, and tied with Chicago in scoring. It hasn't been about scoring, it has been about everything else. We don't need Stewert, we another Dupuis.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
malkin and letang aren't guarantees to be here in 3+ years.
Malkin is about as close to a guarantee as you can get IMO; he'll get whatever he wants. Letang is a different story. He could end up like Staal where we give him a big offer and it's not enough. A lot depends on what happens this deadline actually and if we sign a new player long-term that cuts into our cap space / forces us to move other guys just to make room. If we sign a Perry or Iginla type, it makes it much less likely Tang will be re-signed, in which case what can we get for him next spring. Quite a lot I think.

Other:

The talk going around of trading Harringington (BTW) is pretty much off the wall. We're not trading Harrington, Morrow, Pouliot or Despres for ****in Chris Stewart or any other inconsistent, potential head-case of a player. The ONLY type of player we're going to move one of those four guys for, is an absolute sure thing and Stewart / Seto / et all do not come close ot filling that bill. And of course in that case, we'll be moving substantially more than just the blue chip D prospect (likely that 1st rounder people are arguing about and a good roster player like Kunitz or Niskanen). Kennedy isn't getting us ****, guys. Late 2nd, early 3rd rounder at most.

The NHL is not running short on Tyler Kennedys.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Yep. It's either one or the other with this board. If we can't get Perry or Iginla, we might as well just stick with what we got.

I was all for Parise in the summer b/c you don't pass up the opportunity to get a guy like that. But that's free agency and Shero didn't see any other upgrades. If a deal is there for a longterm solution before Perry/Iggy are available, you take it.

As a GM, it's just smart asset management to move expendable assets for longterm solutions at positions of weakness.
That's not even what i said, please don't twist my own words.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I'm more talking first 2 rounds. Not worried about a later pick, unless the team that got ours drafts a Datsyuk.
Point is that Shero hasn't been trading them.

Depres, Bennett,Morrow, Pouliot, Maatta.

That's 4 straight drafts and 5 first round players taken.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Malkin is about as close to a guarantee as you can get IMO; he'll get whatever he wants. Letang is a different story. He could end up like Staal where we give him a big offer and it's not enough. A lot depends on what happens this deadline actually and if we sign a new player long-term that cuts into our cap space / forces us to move other guys just to make room. If we sign a Perry or Iginla type, it makes it much less likely Tang will be re-signed, in which case what can we get for him next spring. Quite a lot I think.

The talk going around of trading Harringington (BTW) is pretty much off the wall. We're not trading Harrington, Morrow, Pouliot or Despres for ****ign Chris Stewart or any other inconsistent, potential head-case of a player. The ONLY type of player we're going to move one of those four guys for, is an absolute sure thing and Stewart / Seto / et all do not come close ot filling that bill.
What's this sure thing you speak of? B/c aside from a rebuilding team moving a guy like Iginla, we're not getting him for unproven D prospects.

Lol, no offense CV, but how the **** is Stewart a head case. Was Malkin a head case when his game went downhill in 09 and 10. He was trying to get by on skill alone and wasn't putting in the work in the offseason. Stewart realized he needed to dedicate himself more and is in great shape this season. He's not Oshie along the boards, nor is he an elite two way player. But he's a guy who can create off the rush, has a laser shot and be an immediate upgrade for us as a net front presence.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
But, Maatta, Harrington, Bennett, Niskanen, a 1st, and Iceburgh aren't expendable.
Sure they are expendable for the right return. But some of the players mentioned are not worth overpaying for.

A week ago people were willing to give up Despres for Devin ****ing Setoguchi and now some people want to give up basically two first rounders for Kulemin who probably would look great with Malkin, but he hasnīt proved in his current situation to be worth that kind of return.

People complain that we donīt have any good forward prospects besides Bennett, but when there is a good chance that we could draft a good one in this supposedly deep draft, people want to give up that first rounder for less than sure fire players. I donīt get the reasoning behind that

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Point is that Shero hasn't been trading them.

Depres, Bennett,Morrow, Pouliot, Maatta.

That's 4 straight drafts and 5 first round players taken.
Shero: If you can't get a Hossa, why bother?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
What's this sure thing you speak of? B/c aside from a rebuilding team moving a guy like Iginla, we're not getting him for unproven D prospects.

Lol, no offense CV, but how the **** is Stewart a head case. Was Malkin a head case when his game went downhill in 09 and 10. He was trying to get by on skill alone and wasn't putting in the work in the offseason. Stewart realized he needed to dedicate himself more and is in great shape this season. He's not Oshie along the boards, nor is he an elite two way player. But he's a guy who can create off the rush, has a laser shot and be an immediate upgrade for us as a net front presence.
No, Malkin is a Penguin. He wasn't a head case. Stewart isn't a Penguin. He is a head case. That's the difference.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:

You are comparing a winger that hasn't put it all together consistently with, Malkin.

Meh.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
No, Malkin is a Penguin. He wasn't a head case. Stewart isn't a Penguin. He is a head case. That's the difference.
Blues fans say he "was" a headcase, now he's serious about changing.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Blues fans say he "was" a headcase, now he's serious about changing.
I was being facetious.

Quote:
Shero: If you can't get a Hossa, why bother?

And so were you . . . I think.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBoris View Post
Sure they are expendable for the right return. But some of the players mentioned are not worth overpaying for.

A week ago people were willing to give up Despres for Devin ****ing Setoguchi and now some people want to give up basically two first rounders for Kulemin who probably would look great with Malkin, but he hasnīt proved in his current situation to be worth that kind of return.

People complain that we donīt have any good forward prospects besides Bennett, but when there is a good chance that we could draft a good one in this supposedly deep draft, people want to give up that first rounder for less than sure fire players. I donīt get the reasoning behind that
Will the forward we draft make a significant impact with Sid and/or Geno before one of them turns 30?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
I was being facetious.

And so were you . . . I think.
OMG!!! first the Kulemin thread, now this thread. I.DON'T.GET.YOU.MAN!

Yes i was.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
WVP

My primary focus if I was Shero would be to get Iggy in black and gold.

At the minimum you can now have:

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla -> upgrade
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal -> upgrade and we've seen what this line can do

That solves both lines in my opinion. And if you can re-sign Iggy, you have Neal, Iginla, Kunitz and Bennett as your top 4 wingers next season. Powerhouse....

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
You are comparing a winger that hasn't put it all together consistently with, Malkin.

Meh.
Yes. We should have higher expectations for Stewart than Malkin? My point is that there are a multitude of examples of players who have tried to get by on skill before realizing what it takes to realize their potential at the NHL level. By all indications, Stewart has put the effort in and is playing physical. He's not going to produce huge numbers playing 13 minutes a night with a nonplaymaking center.

Now's a good time to pick him up.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Nisky+Harrington+TK for Stewart+3rd. Niskanen fills a need for them right now. Harrington, longterm. TK helps replace what they lose in Stewart in a 3rd/4th line role.
Oh, helllllllllll to the no!!!

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:15 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Playing with Tangradi, Jeffrey and Boychuk hasn't stopped Malkin from being in the top 5 in scoring.

Why can't we continue to play one of these three guys and see what we have here, instead of making a panicky trade for a non-stud winger?

I'm not getting this. We all want a younger player on a cheap contract to bust through, yet we're being as impatient as Disco is.
Because if Geno doesn't become superman, it'll be completely somebody else's fault.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

That solves both lines in my opinion. And if you can re-sign Iggy, you have Neal, Iginla, Kunitz and Bennett as your top 4 wingers next season. Powerhouse....
I still wouldn't trade for Iggy and take my chances with him during off season. Perhaps Sid can give him a call in July

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
mpp9

Quote:

And that'd be great. But there are other options. Options that solve our issues longterm. Iggy isn't a longterm solution. And would cost us an asset named Despres, Morrow, Bennett or Pouliot in addition to our 1st.

We are indeed a contender for as long as Sid/Geno are healthy and in form. I'd much rather us leverage our expendable assets for longterm solutions.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I still wouldn't trade for Iggy and take my chances with him during off season. Perhaps Sid can give him a call in July
I think we've said that on too many July 1st's. Hasn't worked out yet.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Will the forward we draft make a significant impact with Sid and/or Geno before one of them turns 30?
Maybe, maybe not. There's no way any of us could know that. That wasnīt the point I was making though, was it? I would be willing to part with the first rounder for the right return. Not for the likes of Setoguchi, Stewart or Kulemin though. Iīd rather overpay for the Perryīs or Iginlaīs.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Yes. We should have higher expectations for Stewart than Malkin? My point is that there are a multitude of examples of players who have tried to get by on skill before realizing what it takes to realize their potential at the NHL level. By all indications, Stewart has put the effort in and is playing physical. He's not going to produce huge numbers playing 13 minutes a night with a nonplaymaking center.

Now's a good time to pick him up.
Why should we overpay for what Stewart would hypothetically would produce with a better center?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I think we've said that on too many July 1st's. Hasn't worked out yet.
Agreed and I was one to mention that but it was pretty clear that Parise wanted to play with Suter and Minnesota was option 1 for them and if not he was staying in Jersey. As for Hossa I think he just surprised everyone

This year we have 2 targets, Iginla or Perry

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBoris View Post
Why should we overpay for what Stewart would hypothetically would produce with a better center?
It's not hypothetical. Just as Neal had an elite center, Stewart produced consecutive 28 goal seasons with Stastny.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Fire Shero*

Zach Boychuk - 4 GP 0 points
Eric Tangradi - 5 GP 0 points
Dustin Jeffrey - 3 GP 0 points
Tyler Kennedy - 11 GP 1 point (1 goal in the second game of the season)

But yet we dont need another winger? Look at these stats. Sad. But Boychuk can make plays along the boards and skates fast! Tangradi can maybe stand in front of the net! Jeffrey put up good numbers 2 years for a short span! Give these guys a chance!!
These guys make Talbot, Ponikarovsky, Fedotenko, etc look like superstars.

We cant afford to lose one of our 10 defensive prospects! They might amount to something by the time Sid and Geno are in the 30s.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote