HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Old
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
OMG!!! first the Kulemin thread, now this thread. I.DON'T.GET.YOU.MAN!

Yes i was.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Zach Boychuk - 4 GP 0 points
Eric Tangradi - 5 GP 0 points
Dustin Jeffrey - 3 GP 0 points
Tyler Kennedy - 11 GP 1 point (1 goal in the second game of the season)

But yet we dont need another winger? Look at these stats. Sad. But Boychuk can make plays along the boards and skates fast! Tangradi can maybe stand in front of the net! Jeffrey put up good numbers 2 years for a short span! Give these guys a chance!!
These guys make Talbot, Ponikaovsky, Fedotenko, etc look like superstars.

We cant afford to lose one of our 10 defensive prospects! They might amount to something by the time Sid and Geno are in the 30s.
Well, for thos who want to know what we've got . . .

Add to that Geno being off 30% in ES scoring and Neal being a minus player.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Zach Boychuk - 4 GP 0 points
Eric Tangradi - 5 GP 0 points
Dustin Jeffrey - 3 GP 0 points
Tyler Kennedy - 11 GP 1 point (1 goal in the second game of the season)

But yet we dont need another winger? Look at these stats. Sad. But Boychuk can make plays along the boards and skates fast! Tangradi can maybe stand in front of the net! Jeffrey put up good numbers 2 years for a short span! Give these guys a chance!!
These guys make Talbot, Ponikaovsky, Fedotenko, etc look like superstars.

We cant afford to lose one of our 10 defensive prospects! They might amount to something by the time Sid and Geno are in the 30s.
Crosby and Malkin are producing just fine at the moment. Were 8-3 why do we need to make a move right now I don't get it

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Crosby and Malkin are producing just fine at the moment. Were 8-3 why do we need to make a move right now I don't get it
Geno/Neal aren't producing at ES. Wouldn't call that fine. We're winning b/c Sid is good at hockey.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's not hypothetical. Just as Neal had an elite center, Stewart produced consecutive 28 goal seasons with Stastny.
Curious, isn't it, that those who poo-poo additions like that on hypothetical grounds will speak of our prospects with near absolute certainty?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Geno/Neal aren't producing at ES. Wouldn't call that fine. We're winning b/c Sid is good at hockey.
But we're 8-3. Did you miss that?

Old
Shady Machine

I say we go all in and get Iginla (assuming he's available). I don't care if he's a UFA at the end of the year. We are in the business of winning cups and adding him makes us a serious contender. If we go deep in the playoffs with him, I have no doubt he will re-sign. If we win the cup, I could potentially see him go back to Calgary. I think the risk is worth it. Having said that, I won't trade Bennett as part of the deal.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBadBoris

Quote:
It's not hypothetical. Just as Neal had an elite center, Stewart produced consecutive 28 goal seasons with Stastny.
How could you possibly know that Stewart would fit here? It seems reasonable that he would produce with Sid, but itīs still hypothetical and no sure thing. Besides, I think we should give value equal to the player he is in his current situation and not what he would be worth if playing with Sid or Geno

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I still think it's way too early, deadline is just under 2 months away and other players might become available and could be had for cheaper. I'd still wait there is absolutely no need to panic and make a move right now

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBoris View Post
How could you possibly know that Stewart would fit here? It seems reasonable that he would produce with Sid, but itīs still hypothetical and no sure thing. Besides, I think we should give value equal to the player he is in his current situation and not what he would be worth if playing with Sid or Geno
Nothing is a sure thing. I agree with you on the value thing, but you have to give equal to how St Louis values him. Maybe that value is too much. Who knows but he is the type of winger we could use and he has a track record or NHL production. Guys like him just don't forget how to score.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I still think it's way too early, deadline is just under 2 months away and other players might become available and could be had for cheaper. I'd still wait there is absolutely no need to panic and make a move right now
No one is panicking. We are just saying that we absolutely need an upgrade heading into the post season. Given that the deadline is later this year, it makes sense to make a deal sooner if it's available.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Fire Shero

Quote:
How anyone could be satisfied with the gaping hole on Malkin's line is beyond me. Why would you not want to improve the team when we have more than enough cap space?

If we play a defensive powerhouse in the playoffs, are you comfortable relying on Dupuis, Kunitz and whatever idiot is playing with Geno and Neal?

Fire Shero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
No one is panicking. We are just saying that we absolutely need an upgrade heading into the post season. Given that the deadline is later this year, it makes sense to make a deal sooner if it's available.
Sooner, later . . . you make it when it comes and don't worry about making one before the other. Pens are the cup favorite if they get Sid a second wheel and Geno and Neal a third wheel.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Nothing is a sure thing. I agree with you on the value thing, but you have to give equal to how St Louis values him. Maybe that value is too much. Who knows but he is the type of winger we could use and he has a track record or NHL production. Guys like him just don't forget how to score.
Isn't it odd that people who would question Stewart on the grounds that he isn't a sure thing have no such qualms when speaking of the futures of our own prospects or forthcoming draft picks?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBoris View Post
I'm not a GM, so who knows what the value is. But Stewart is a fit here, I know that. If DA sees he's not a fit there longterm and would like to acquire pieces to help his team this season, then I think we can offer expendable pieces to make a deal happen now.

I'm sure the Blues will take the next couple weeks to see where they're at. They're not as bad defensively as the last few games make them out to be. But Redden isn't a top 4 D-man. And Cole/Russell/Polak as bottom pairing guys is the better solution.

TK is expendable with two top 6 solutions. Niskanen is expendable as soon as he gets back in the lineup. One of Maatta/Harrington are expendable. Negotiate the value on the Blues' side from there.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Jag68Sid87

Can we honestly say Zach Boychuk has played badly? He seems a bit snakebitten to me. He's created chances. He doesn't know Geno's game yet. The line's five-on-five PLAY (not production) has looked fine to me. And, it was fine when Jeffrey was there too. I will grant that they struggled in terms of overall speed when Tangradi was on the line. Yet as soon as Tangradi moved down he started to play much better (and still got taken out of the lineup).

We're scratching two potential wingers every night here. If we're bringing help in, we need to ship bodies out. Again, I do not want to lose anymore players for free. We're not running a charity here.

Leaving one top-six spot open for someone to grab by the horns makes all the sense in the world for this team, both for now and the near and long-range future. Ideally, we can upgrade by shipping out one of our excess complementary wingers (Kennedy, Dupuis, Cooke) plus futures. But we really should keep one spot open.

I would love to insert Boychuk, Tangradi AND Jeffrey into our 2013-14 lineup, replacing the more expensive veteran wingers that are headed to UFA status. That situation helps us moving forward. But we can't get THERE unless we give these guys a chance to prove they belong in the NHL. We STILL don't know.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Isn't it odd that people who would question Stewart on the grounds that he isn't a sure thing have no such qualms when speaking of the futures of our own prospects or forthcoming draft picks?
Or that he should be held to a higher standard than our own superstar center just 2 years ago?

Big guys take some time to realize their potential in this league. When Neal was acquired, the first thing Shero said was he wants more consistency from his game. Sound famililar?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I'm not a GM, so who knows what the value is. But Stewart is a fit here, I know that. If DA sees he's not a fit there longterm and would like to acquire pieces to help his team this season, then I think we can offer expendable pieces to make a deal happen now.

I'm sure the Blues will take the next couple weeks to see where they're at. They're not as bad defensively as the last few games make them out to be. But Redden isn't a top 4 D-man. And Cole/Russell/Polak as bottom pairing guys is the better solution.

TK is expendable with two top 6 solutions. Niskanen is expendable as soon as he gets back in the lineup. One of Maatta/Harrington are expendable. Negotiate the value on the Blues' side from there.
The Blues are a terrible fit for us. They want to cut losses in the budget, so they won't want anybody making any money at all. We, on the other hand, have cap issues and SHOULD be looking to move out contracts in any upgrade deal.

Compounding the problem is the fact both teams see themselves as Cup contenders. Horrible fit with St. Louis, imo.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Can we honestly say Zach Boychuk has played badly? He seems a bit snakebitten to me. He's created chances. He doesn't know Geno's game yet. The line's five-on-five PLAY (not production) has looked fine to me. And, it was fine when Jeffrey was there too. I will grant that they struggled in terms of overall speed when Tangradi was on the line. Yet as soon as Tangradi moved down he started to play much better (and still got taken out of the lineup).

We're scratching two potential wingers every night here. If we're bringing help in, we need to ship bodies out. Again, I do not want to lose anymore players for free. We're not running a charity here.

Leaving one top-six spot open for someone to grab by the horns makes all the sense in the world for this team, both for now and the near and long-range future. Ideally, we can upgrade by shipping out one of our excess complementary wingers (Kennedy, Dupuis, Cooke) plus futures. But we really should keep one spot open.

I would love to insert Boychuk, Tangradi AND Jeffrey into our 2013-14 lineup, replacing the more expensive veteran wingers that are headed to UFA status. That situation helps us moving forward. But we can't get THERE unless we give these guys a chance to prove they belong in the NHL. We STILL don't know.
We scratched Jeffrey after his best game of the season in favor of a waiver pick up.

I like Boychuk, but not in the top 6 come postseason. Ideally, a depth forward who can move up when injuries occur.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Fire Shero

Quote:

It sounds like a good plan if you are trying to tank next season for a top 5 pick. I am not sure if you are serious

I've seen enough of Tangradi and Jeffrey. Tangradi is horrible. Seriously, how much longer does he need to show he's awful?

Fire Shero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
mpp9

Quote:
The Blues are a terrible fit for us. They want to cut losses in the budget, so they won't want anybody making any money at all. We, on the other hand, have cap issues and SHOULD be looking to move out contracts in any upgrade deal.

Compounding the problem is the fact both teams see themselves as Cup contenders. Horrible fit with St. Louis, imo.
Cool. I don't agree.

The Blues are getting exposed with their hole on LD. And Stewart is their most valuable expendable asset to fill it. After a hot start, he's back to struggling in that system. He's just not a fit.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
I get that nothing is a sure thing, but there are players that comes with less risk than others. On the value thing. Sure, we have to give value to get value, but it gets to a point where too much value is given based on the assumption that Stewart for example, will for certain produce here when thatīs not a certainty

Old
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:

The line's five on five play has not been fine, although I wouldn't say that Boychuk, in an isolated state, has played badly.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Or that he should be held to a higher standard than our own superstar center just 2 years ago?

Big guys take some time to realize their potential in this league. When Neal was acquired, the first thing Shero said was he wants more consistency from his game. Sound famililar?
Not sure.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:

I disagree about the value and that he is a sure thing here. Donīt think you should give up a good top4 d+ Kennedy (who you think is worth a 2nd or a 3rd )+ good d prospect for a struggling player. He could be a good fit here though, so I would like to trade for him. Not for the value youīre proposing though