The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would not trust Fletcher to hire a third coach. I like Fletcher's scouting and drafting abilities, but if Yeo is a legit failure, we'll need a new GM. That's an IF.
Isn't it mostly Flahr in charge of the drafting/scouting? I'm sure Fletcher is in the room and such, but I don't think he's leading the conversations.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Isn't it mostly Flahr in charge of the drafting/scouting? I'm sure Fletcher is in the room and such, but I don't think he's leading the conversations.
So Fletcher is responsible for Yeo's failures but should not be getting credit for Flahr's success?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
So Fletcher is responsible for Yeo's failures but should not be getting credit for Flahr's success?
well yeah. of course.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If, in fact, it is deemed that the head coach and/or coaching staff is main problem with this team, then of course you have to evaluate the person in charge of appointing those positions.

He told us Richards was "the guy" and he was wrong. He then told us Yeo is "the guy" and apparently a lot of people here believe that he was wrong. When he tells us that the next guy is "the guy" what basis do we have to believe him. I mean, he passed on Hitchcock for Richards.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Can somebody with more hockey knowledge tell me how Yeo's offensive system is supposed to work? I always see one forward trying to forecheck 2 defenceman which fails 90% of the time. Then they usually concede an easy zone entry and then try to play defense. I have a hard to figuring out where things are going wrong.
Ask and ye shall receive...

Russo on the Wild's "system"

Quote:
I asked Fletcher about all the criticisms of fans regarding Yeo’s “system,” but before I get to Fletcher’s response to that, I just want to point something out. Trust me, I watch six or seven games a night, travel to every building in this league. The Wild plays the same system as virtually every team in the league. Breakouts are similar, neutral-zone forechecks are similar, style is similar if not identical to other teams, including some of the most successful.

Fans that tweet me daily are agitated with the dump-and-chase. Hey, I hear ya. Like it or not though, this is what this league has become. I understand where this looks counterproductive. The goal is to have the puck, so why when you have the puck, do you intentionally give it away only to exude effort in an attempt to get it back?

That’s a subject for another day. But I promise you, like Vancouver last night, the Wild’s first option through the middle of the ice is to make a play. Players are not being instructed to dump the puck every time they cross the red line. But like virtually every team in this league, they are told that if there’s no option to make a play, if the defense is standing up at the blue line to the point there’s no way into the zone and/or you’re going to turn the puck over at the offensive blue line, the option is to dump the puck because the free ice is behind the opposing D.

BUT, where things are breaking down for the Wild is once they dump that puck, forwards are not doing a good enough job retrieving the puck. It’s either because of bad dumps or players are just not put pursuing the puck with enough oomph or digging the puck out with enough grit.

If you’re dumping and chasing, forwards must be committed to getting on their horse and going to get the puck back. It takes battle, it takes puck support from all five guys on the ice, especially the forwards. The Wild has to get better in this area or it will be completely counterproductive because then what happens is the first period last night – dump the puck, retreat, dump the puck, retreat, and there’s never any sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
If, in fact, it is deemed that the head coach and/or coaching staff is main problem with this team, then of course you have to evaluate the person in charge of appointing those positions.

He told us Richards was "the guy" and he was wrong. He then told us Yeo is "the guy" and apparently a lot of people here believe that he was wrong. When he tells us that the next guy is "the guy" what basis do we have to believe him. I mean, he passed on Hitchcock for Richards.
Hitchcock looks good now because he took over a stacked team. History has shown that Hitchcock usually has success for a year or two and then loses his team. This year in St. Louis should be interesting. The only coach we really missed out on was Laviolette. I'm sure some will say we missed out on Tippett. He would have been a good hire if we wanted to make a 7th or 8th seed every year and lose in the first round.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive...

Russo on the Wild's "system"
Thanks. I find those points very interesting. Our system doesn't LOOK similar to me. I'd be interested to hear the details of where ours is going wrong.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Hitchcock looks good now because he took over a stacked team. History has shown that Hitchcock usually has success for a year or two and then loses his team. This year in St. Louis should be interesting. The only coach we really missed out on was Laviolette. I'm sure some will say we missed out on Tippett. He would have been a good hire if we wanted to make a 7th or 8th seed every year and lose in the first round.
Except for, you know, last year.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not a coach, but...

Until the Wild shows some kind of success against the NZT, the book is out. Get the defenders in front of the forwards and make them play dump and chase. I am guessing the far side defender will cheat a little to retrieve the puck and the close D always does just a bit of interference to slow down the forechecker and let his partner pick up the puck. Not supposed to be legal, but the refs don't call it like they did 5-6 years ago.

I would guess if the Wild can send two forecheckers in with speed and a third forward to cut off passes or support the forecheck, they'll get the puck more often, get more shots, and get more goals. And then the D will have to back off a bit, which gives the Wild a bit more room. That's one reason they brought in Rupp...he is slow but when he does get into the zone with some speed behind him, the D panics with the puck because they don't want to get killed.

I'll bet the Wild struggles more against defenders that can move really well and play a tight gap vs defenders who are cautious of getting beat and leave a bit more room, allowing the Wild to enter with numbers.

By the same token, the Wild look so much better with Brodin in the lineup because he can play those tight gaps or retrieve the puck. And would look even better with Spurgeon. And another reason Stoner and Falk look really bad against dump and chase.

Dunno...just things to watch for next game.

Edit: Just thinking from when I play hockey, but if you're playing against a D-man who's giving you a ton of room, you can do all sorts of things. Stop and wait for your linemates, cut through the zone and try to split the D, carry the puck along the boards looking for a forward to come in for a one-timer, etc. But against a really good defenseman, they have a tight gap on you, you have to carry the puck to the side or it will get stripped, and your options are to either try and dangle the defenseman (which is NOT ALLOWED in the NHL unless you are a super star or would like to go back to the minors or get stapled to the bench if you miss) or 99% of the time you dump and chase. There's really not any other options. You cross the blue line, and try to chip it past him.

Last edited by Jarick: 02-08-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Except for, you know, last year.
You think he would have led the Wild to the WCF last year?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:

He should say, this is our ehhh. We need a coach so i found this guy. He was our 3rd choice no one else wanted it.

Yeo seemed liked a good fit at the time. Young, had energy, coached a winning team in Houston. Has something to prove. He has not translated that to coaching talent at the NHL level.

Other than the NHL. Teams that play hard, and fight hard, battles not dropping the gloves can usually win. NCAA, CHL, even the AHL work ethic can be enough. The NHL is a totally different animal. Yeo needs to figure that out. If anything Fletcher choose the wrong direction. We were young and up and coming. Then Suter and Parise. The whole mentality changed. We can no longer wait for a team along with its coach to figure it out. Replace Suter with Dumba and Parise with Zucker and Yeo has a lot more leeway.

Fletcher better get a seasoned bench boss. I do not care who. One that has NHL experiance, that is all. if he goes with another first time head coach, then its on him.

I do not blame Fletcher for Parise and Suter but very few had to have known those two would be here when Yeo was hired.

if you look at assests and liabilities.

Assests youth and stars locked up long term.
We know the kids.
Brodin, MiG, Coyle on EL for three years = cheap starters.
Parise, Koivu and Suter locked up till 17-18

Liabilities terribale contracts that go on for ever. we have none and the sand bags will be off in two years.
PMB 4 mil off next year
Cullen 3.5 off next year
Allready that could be one 7.5 mil FA

Seto and Heater 10.5 combined off in 2 years.
Another star FA

Barker and Parrish off in 2 years.
Thats 1.5 for player TBD.

Brodziak and Mitchel come off when we need to sign the ELC players for more money. We are really set up for a long time.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
You think he would have led the Wild to the WCF last year?
No, I don't.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
mesamonster

Quote:

Fletcher interviewed tippett and passed on him, so how smart does that make fletcher? In my book, not very! He basically anointed Richards after one day on the job. Imagine that, your most important decision as a rookie GM and he totally whiffs. He spends six hours with Tip at the MSP airport and then passes? And we think Fletcher is qualified to pick the next one????

Old
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Tampa Bay lost 3 in a row
St Louis lost 3 in a row
Washington lost 3 in a row (only 2 wins on the season!)
San Jose dropped a pair
And Washington's can be attributed to breaking up your key players to try and get more production out of the lines.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Oh really? Tippett has the second highest winning %amongst active coaches and that is not good enough for you? At least he has made the PO`s 8 of the last 10 years, something that cannot be said for the WIld!

Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Fletcher interviewed tippett and passed on him, so how smart does that make fletcher? In my book, not very! He basically anointed Richards after one day on the job. Imagine that, your most important decision as a rookie GM and he totally whiffs. He spends six hours with Tip at the MSP airport and then passes? And we think Fletcher is qualified to pick the next one????
I don't want a trap system coach. Good for Phoenix to win games like they have, but they haven't gotten any further than our own franchise has in the playoffs. Our team, IMO, is way deeper than Phoenix's and shouldn't be relying on overwhelm until you score and then play neutral trap. I would rather have this team play puck possession than rely on a defensive system that every fan thinks is boring.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
JamesRanger

I agree Richards was a mistake. I don't feel hiring Tippet is/was a recipe for long term success.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I agree Richards was a mistake. I don't feel hiring Tippet is/was a recipe for long term success.
IMO, Richards was only done because this organization likes to cater to those who want it to be only Minnesota people on it. He is from here, played hockey here...so he was a logical fit with how good San Jose had been doing.

Just my opinion on the matter...but some of the mistakes made early in GMCF's tenure here were based on what the "fans" wanted.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Oh really? Tippett has the second highest winning %amongst active coaches and that is not good enough for you? At least he has made the PO`s 8 of the last 10 years, something that cannot be said for the WIld!
No its not. He uses a suffocating defensive system to grind out wins in the regular season and fails in the playoffs. I'd rather the Wild play a system that gets people to attend games, something that cannot be said for the Coyotes.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
No its not. He uses a suffocating defensive system to grind out wins in the regular season and fails in the playoffs. I'd rather the Wild play a system that gets people to attend games, something that cannot be said for the Coyotes.
They made it to the WCF last year just like we did, except they actually won a game.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I liked Yeo's system last year when we had speedy grinders chasing pucks and attacking the defensemen as they tried to break out. The guys look slow this year though.

Would LOVE to chat with a coach to see how they put together lines, what they look for in players, how slower puck carriers vs speedy grinders work, etc.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
He made to the WCF last year, what did the Wild do? So winning, which is all Tippett has done is not good enough for you? Sure , he has been knocked out early in many of those years, but i ask again, would you rather win and make the PO`s or lose year after year playing a system that seems void of any real identity?

Old
02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
JamesRanger

Quote:
He made to the WCF last year, what did the Wild do? So winning, which is all Tippett has done is not good enough for you? Sure , he has been knocked out early in many of those years, but i ask again, would you rather win and make the PO`s or lose year after year playing a system that seems void of any real identity?
I'd rather lose. I'm not saying you are wrong for liking Tippett. We've been there with Lemaire. Its fun for a while but I don't want that back again. I'd rather take chances on rookie coaches while the organization builds talent.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:08 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
I'd rather lose. I'm not saying you are wrong for liking Tippett. We've been there with Lemaire. Its fun for a while but I don't want that back again. I'd rather take chances on rookie coaches while the organization builds talent.
Thats cool, i get that!

Old
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Sportserie

I can't figure out what the problem is but there is a problem. I am already nervous for tomorrow night's game. We absolutely have to stop the bleeding and win this one. I hope Yeo has a plan. Anything has to be better than the plan for Vancouver.

Closed Thread