HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

International Football Game Day Thread (2013)

Old
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Bosnia handled Slovenia pretty easily today and now are 4-0-0 all time against them all time. Just can't continue to say enough about Pjanic and how terrific he is for the NT. If he were Brazilian, he'd have a 50 million price tag.
you think BiH will qualify?

I have a feeling they will but they might be exposed if they get a tough group...BiH can score for fun at times but defensively weak

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
you think BiH will qualify?

I have a feeling they will but they might be exposed if they get a tough group...BiH can score for fun at times but defensively weak
They should qualify. The only tough game really left is against Greece at home. Get a draw, and the goal difference should push them through.

Healthy, the team can give anybody a run. But there is no depth. There isn't a viable backup for anybody in the starting XI.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I thought it was quite funny that Löw played Höwedes at left back because he didn't want to move Lahm over there, when Höwedes simply isn't a left back while Lahm has plenty of high-level experience at the position.

The consequence? Höwedes did nothing in attacking support because he can't even hit a half-decent pass with his left foot.

I'm not sure what the point was, as if Lahm was going to forget how to play right back if he he had to play on the left in this game. And Lahm doesn't need to get used to linking up with Müller either since both routinely form Bayern's right wing together. Meanwhile Höwedes will never be an option at left back.

If he is that married to the idea of Lahm on the right by the way, it means he has basically narrowed down the left back choice to 1st Schmelzer 2nd Boateng 3rd Badstuber which can't please anyone because Schmelzer is unstable and the latter two are plainly not suitable. It also means the idea of Sebastian Jung moving into the RB slot before the WC is basically a non-starter.

Höwedes is also getting a rough deal here because he's simply used as a stop-gap for wherever Löw is short a body. Höwedes has never been given a proper try-out at CB and has been no worse at RB than all the other non-Lahm options (I personally favor him over Boateng there). Lahm at LB and Höwedes at RB has been one of the better options we've tried actually.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
cgf

Schmelzer's fine, his work rate's helpful, he's a fine defender when he's not over committing and his attacking movement is actually pretty clever when he combines with Reus. Now his final ball is not great, but he's a decent enough option until someone like Ozcipka, Jung, Jantschke or Dudziak force their way into the team. I'm kinda disappointed Ozcipka didn't get a call up, since he's the only one of those kids who's not currently with one of our youth teams, and he's also been the best this season. But Jogi's always been stubborn and slow to adapt.

The issue with Howedes is that he's just not as good as Hummels, and hasn't out performed Badstuber or Boateng enough to supplant them. He also doesn't have nudey pics of Loew like Merte seems to. So it's tough for him to overcome the lack of experience and chemistry with the NT. Plus Schalke moving him around so much doesn't help. With Wollscheid on the horizon and the youth of Hummels, Boa and Bads, I just don't see Howedes ever being our best option in the middle.

Again want to say how happy I am that Gundogan looked so comfortable with Khedira and Ozil, and that Loew was forced to try the strikerless formation with more of our first team. Now all we need is for him to be forced into it with Reus in the team to, so Jogi feels he has to give it a serious run. Now he'll over tinker at some point, but a 4-3-3-0 really is our best hope to win in Brazil unless Klose keeps drinking from the fountain of youth, and even then sticking Kroos behind Ozil may be better for us.

Last edited by cgf: 02-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.
cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 AM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre View Post
Sweden played pretty well anyway. One of Argentinas goal were clearly offside and Lustig scored an own goal so...
Are you sure you were watching the same game ?

Argentina played some of the best football I've seen in a long time. One touch passing at high speed , using the full width of the pitch and keeping the ball for long periods especially in the first half. Aguero's goal was marginally off not clearly as your bias would have you put.

Second half they barely got out of first gear. The scoreline is very flattering to Sweden particularly with that last kick of the game free kick.

A fairer scoreline would have been 6-1 to Argentina. Aguero missed a couple of sitters and Messi's chip was over the line to anyone who has watched football long enough. Only concern was Swedish balls lobbed into the area. Romero was awful. And both Garay and Fernandez who are normally pretty good in the air were poor as well.

Other than that it was a footballing masterclass from Argentina. Zabaleta for instance played most of the first half as a right winger which shows how much Argentina dominated. The midfield press was excellent as well.

If you can watch the first half especially. Magnificent football.

Put's England's effort into context losing to Sweden. Brazil at the moment are a very poor disjointed side.FIFA ranking's can be a joke but there is a reason why Brazil have slid down them and it's not just down to a lack of competitive games.

Some of the selections last night ie no Hernanes, picking Fabiano were puzzling. And Neymar has a tendency to struggle against man marking and compact defences.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:43 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Didn't see the Netherlands play. But a solid result for the youngest team in over 100 years for us. Don't agree with Blind playing for us but apparantly they played ballsy.
Netherlands best players were Adam Maher followed by Jeremain Lens. Our oldest player outside of RvP, when starting the game, was only 21 years of age.

Maher had two glorious opportunities in the box and Buffon made two very solid saves. He also set up Kuyt in the 80th minute, right around the penalty area, but he completely missed his attempt on goal. If we would've capitalised on half of our chances, we would've won this game by 2 or 3 goals but Italy's netminder was the difference.

Solid performance from a very very young squad.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Netherlands best players were Adam Maher followed by Jeremain Lens. Our oldest player outside of RvP, when starting the game, was only 21 years of age.

Maher had two glorious opportunities in the box and Buffon made two very solid saves. He also set up Kuyt in the 80th minute, right around the penalty area, but he completely missed his attempt on goal. If we would've capitalised on half of our chances, we would've won this game by 2 or 3 goals but Italy's netminder was the difference.

Buffon voted best goalkeeper of the past 25 years. Showed why once again yesterday.

http://www.football-italia.net/29592...eeper-25-years

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post

Let's get Maher to the Emirates...

Foppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
tobo

I hate it when Hazard kicks a penalty. It looks like he's way too careless.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
I hate it when Hazard kicks a penalty. It looks like he's way too careless.

Yet effective. He never takes a long run up. He's missed this year, but is usually a great PK taker.

Didn't watch last night's match (only highlights, what a finish by Mertens!), how did they look?

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
most surprising result for me was Macedonia beating Denmark 3:0...whats going on with Denmark? They had a decent Euro despite not getting out of the groups but they have been horrible since.

Maybe Macedonia can surprise Belgium, they gave Croatia problems but they usually do
Denmark has looked like crap so far in qualification in the Italy group, they looked so awful in that game in the 2nd half playing 11-10 the complete second half and it's Balotelli that scored. Doesn't look like they will be part of the 2014 WC

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Yet effective. He never takes a long run up. He's missed this year, but is usually a great PK taker.

Didn't watch last night's match (only highlights, what a finish by Mertens!), how did they look?
First half was awesome. 70/30 % ball possession, whenever Slovakia got the ball the devils put pressure on that player. Unfortunately, creating chances and scoring remain difficult. Our boys should've scored 2 or 3 times during the first half. They failed and I immediately knew the second half wouldn't be as easy. Keeping our long history with goals against late in the game in mind... and it happened again... Although I must say it wasn't a match anymore by then because each side had made 5 or 6 substitutions.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Yeah, that first half was very enjoyable. Even the makeshift defense did well, containing Hamsik and Stoch. And Benteke proved he's a notch above Lukaku right now.

Second half was pretty boring. I thought Nainggolan(sp?) did very well, too bad he got injured late on. Lukaku was dominated by Skrtel. Mertens had a nice goal but didn't do anything besides that. And bringing on Van Damme and Simons is just useless imo. Slovakia scored like 5 seconds after Timmy got on

De Bruyne man of the match for me, again. What a player.

Also, really liked the fact this was played in Bruges. Great atmosphere, WAY better than at the Heizel. I hope the KBVB takes notice and considers to have more games played outside of the national stadium.

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
tobo

What about that other dinosaur, Buffel? Literally nothing he tried succeeded. Radja was good. He had the ball a lot and gave some decent passes.

IMO Belgium should play their friendlies in Brugge, Gent, Genk, Liège and Charleroi, so that more fans have the chance to see them live. Qualification matches on the other need to played at Heizel. It's our biggest stadium and the central location makes it convenient to reach for fans from each part of the nation.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Savi

I think Buffel deserved a call-up because of the great season he's had so far. But you're right, he didn't do much.

If I were the KBVB president, I would have our NT play every game away from the Heizel. We need to intimidate our opponents and we just can't do that in our national stadium. The overall atmosphere is way better when playing in Brugge, Genk, Liege (I wouldn't do Gent, stadium is too small).

Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
tobo

I agree the atmosphere is much better at any stadium, really. But playing qualification matches at alternating stadiums would cause too many logistical problems. For example, how would they be able to sell season tickets when each game is played at a different venue?

Let's just hope Vandenstock & Co. realize that expanding their stadium by a mere 5000 seats is ridiculous. Anderlecht should cooperate with the FA and build a new stadium somewhere in Brussels. That will have to be without the help of the Brussels' taxpayers because the government has already said it will not spend a dime on that new stadium. Alain Courtois (Schepen van Sport) also stated that a new stadium needs to host "de Memorial Van Damme". So that means hello athletics track...

Old
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Savi

Gotta love the Belgian 'medieval' mentality
I think by now we shouldn't worry about hosting an EC or WC, no, we probably won't even see a Champions League or Europa League final being playing in our country for a very long time. It's too sad really.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
tobo

No one to blame but the FA and our incompetent local, Flemish and Federal governments. Whose idea was it to renovate those shanties before EC 2000? What an utter disgrace. Jan Breydel is suffering from concrete cancer, in Charleroi they tore down the third ring after the tournament and Heizel is just... Yeaaah...

Old
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

My favourite goal of the week

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
GarretJoseph

Russia vs Brazil just started, its on BeIn sports in USA

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:27 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Russia vs Brazil just started, its on BeIn sports in USA
1-1 FT

I also watched Italy v Brazil last week, and this Brazil team doesn't impress me.

Last edited by vsk92: 03-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 05:00 AM
tobo

Let's win this match against Macedonia tonight and hope France, Uruguay, Mexico and Ecuador lose. If so, we find ourselves in 15th place on the FIFA ranking and surpass our previous highest place (16th, january '03).

Old
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Finland beat Luxembourg 3:0 tonight (Friendly)

Highlight of the night is Lukas Hradecky

Old
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
How the hell did Japan lose to Jordania???

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Savi

Brazil-France is about to start (friendly game, played in Porto Alegre)

BRAZIL: Julio Cesar, Alves, Silva, Luiz, Marcelo, Paulinho, Neymar, Gustavo, Oscar, Fred, Hulk

Subs: Cavalieri, Dante, Fernando, Filipe, Hernanes, Jadson, Jean, Jefferson, Jo, Lucas

FRANCE: Lloris, Debuchy, Rami, Sakho, Mathieu, Cabaye, Guilavogui, Matuidi, Valbuena, Benzema, Payet

Subs: Capoue, Giroud, Gomis, Gourcuff, Grenier, Koscielny, Lacazette, Mandanda, Mangala, Ruffier, Sagna, Tremoulinas

edit: who is Guilavogui? never heard of him