HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oil caps

Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
OilCanada92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
From watching the games. If he's being rotated in and it of the lineup with those guys I consider that the same as struggling to stay in the lineup over them. You can argue the semantics if you like, but that doesn't change his level of play on the ice.
Whitney was scratch for only one game and that was the Vancouver game(as I see you are a canuck fan). I'll admit his play has gone down hill and still is. But Whitney is more of a asset on the PP then Potter will be. He's trying to defeat that ankle injury and you can tell it took it's toll on him. Can't trade a guy who isn't working on your roster and expect a guy who is working well on the other team. Whitney is playing like a 3rd pairing D man and he should stay there till his confidence comes back or if he comes to terms he doesn't have it. Oiler fans have seen the great Whitney and that's what's pissing them off. If whitney was known to be a 3rd pairing Oiler fans and Hockey fans in general will be like "well he's just a third pairing guy."

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 362
Quote:
Looking forward to hearing the sell job Oilers fans put on Whitney here.
You might find a couple, but over the past couple of days I found more that agree with me: Whitney is absolutely horrible, and if you are trading us a D that plays over 15 minutes a night in the NHL, we are robbing you.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Whitney was scratch for only one game and that was the Vancouver game(as I see you are a canuck fan). I'll admit his play has gone down hill and still is. But Whitney is more of a asset on the PP then Potter will be. He's trying to defeat that ankle injury and you can tell it took it's toll on him. Can't trade a guy who isn't working on your roster and expect a guy who is working well on the other team. Whitney is playing like a 3rd pairing D man and he should stay there till his confidence comes back or if he comes to terms he doesn't have it. Oiler fans have seen the great Whitney and that's what's pissing them off. If whitney was known to be a 3rd pairing Oiler fans and Hockey fans in general will be like "well he's just a third pairing guy."
I am not disparaging Whitney because I "know he could be better". I am disparaging him because I cannot recall seeing an NHL D-man play worse than he has over the past 4-5 games. Give me Teubert, give me Plante, give me Peckham, give me Fedun, I really don't care. Just stop playing Whitney.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
I agree with most of this. As it stands the trade is effectively a swap of second line wingers, with Hemsky being the better of the two, and a swap of a #1D for a #6D. Unless Whitney can get to the point where he can play a regular shift again he's not going to have any trade value, and Hemsky for Brouwer and Green isn't even close to fair.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
topchowda

Hemsky > Green (both injury prone, Hemsky back to form tho)
Bouwer >>>> Whitney

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Bouwer >>>> Whitney
Green is back to form too. A top pairing d-man is always worth more than an top-6 winger.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Bouwer >>>> Whitney
Hemsky is not better than Green.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Right now? I'd take Hemsky over Green any day. Hemsky is playing like 06 Hemsky.

This comes back to my Whitney statement. We remember Green as a 70 point defense man. Which brings his value at a stand still, but really will he even come close to that? Possibly not.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
topchowda

Quote:
The way he is playing, yes he is.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Oilers fans clearly not watching Green. This is sadly lopsided in Edmonton's favor. Caps walk away laughing...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Oilers fans clearly not watching Green. This is sadly lopsided in Edmonton's favor. Caps walk away laughing...
Oh I'm watching green and he's playing well. Is he playing like the bonafide #1 d man his contract demands? No. The player playing their role to the fullest here is Hemsky. You guys should be absolutely desperate for a top 6 winger right now. Or just for a shakeup in general for that matter. That being said I'd be comfortable adding a 2nd rounder or a solid prospect.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
The way he is playing, yes he is.
Agreed. The value of the trade is still uneven, and Green's a great dman, but anyone that's watched Hemsky knows he's back to his pre injury self

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote