HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
#Caps' McPhee says start is his "responsibility." Also added he won't be rash. "We're not gonna blow it up."
Wow...I'd never thought I'd hear GMGM take personal responsibility. He hasn't in the past and always found excuses whether it was coaches or players to blame. Kudos to him for manning up.

I also agree we shouldn't blow it up.

RE: Theory on not wanting a season. The reason he'd trade for Ribiero would be that his 1 year contract would still extend into next year if there were no season this year. At least thats how it worked in the last lockout right?

I can totally buy the whole "we didn't want this year to happen" theory actually.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
msrulo

@Skykerstein

Quote:
Caps GMGM: "We like the people here."

Last edited by msrulo: 02-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
@Skykerstein

Caps GMGM: "We like the people here."
Well ofcourse he's gonna say that. If he said "we don't like our players and are looking to make changes" then it would hurt his leverage in any trade negotiations.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
msrulo

@Skykerstein

Quote:
Caps GMGM: "This team plays hard enough. It's good enough. It's just having a heck of a bad stretch, but it can flip."

Old
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well ofcourse he's gonna say that. If he said "we don't like our players and are looking to make changes" then it would hurt his leverage in any trade negotiations.
I agree with you, but I still rage on McPhee

Old
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I agree with you, but I still rage on McPhee
Hey it may not be so bad here that the season happened and we suck (assuming we will continue to suck):

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...-up-in-sweden/

Kuznetsov says he's coming over. Forsberg next year. Both are lighting it up.

Add to that a top 5 pick this year (by all accounts we will get a stud) and the Tom Wilson potential.

This actually maybe the best thing that could possibly happen to the Caps really...they weren't winning this year or next year anyhow.

Old
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
@SkyKerstein: #Caps GMGM on if penalties is a leadership thing "I don't think so. Troy Brouwer is as good of leader as there is in this game."

Old
dillyboy93

So I'll just assume no changes then?

Feel like this is red meat for some. #Caps GM George McPhee: "We’re not gonna do anything short term. We’re not gonna blow anything up." @bmcnally14 Brian Mcnally

Old
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Hey it may not be so bad here that the season happened and we suck (assuming we will continue to suck):

Add to that a top 5 pick this year (by all accounts we will get a stud) and the Tom Wilson potential.

This actually maybe the best thing that could possibly happen to the Caps really...they weren't winning this year or next year anyhow.

I'm on this wagon.

Add in Perry or someone worth paying Semin's money for, and it might be the best thing that they could have happened.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
msrulo

Quote:

The future is definitely looking bright.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm on this wagon.

Add in Perry or someone worth paying Semin's money for, and it might be the best thing that they could have happened.
Yep. Think of it...

Lets say we didn't have a season (again assuming we get a top 5 pick this year) and revisted the ping pong closed doors Crosby draft again. Not good.

Now we may get an additional stud to add to the two we have already. And Wilson will be on the team in some capacity soon as well.

Lets not forget we are in very good shape salary cap wise too.

They'd never admit it but I wonder if behind closed doors GMGM and Ted aren't twirling their mustaches and cackling like maniacs...

Old
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I hear Dick Patrick is SUPPOSED to know a thing or two about the game. Sadly he should probably be fired too..
Firing a minority owner of the team may prove tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
they are getting plenty of blame. just not enough maybe for the op. if mcphee were getting enough blame, he would have been fired by now. i bet thats the point. if leonsis were getting enough blame....what? the building would be empty?

the important thing to know is where mcphee really is in the mix. he has control over what he has control of. what that is we cant know.
lets say for the sake of argument that mcphee wanted to trade mike green or alex ovechkin in the last couple of seasons. lets say. there is no chance that happens without ted signing off on it. if ted says no....do you fire mcphee? anyone think ted would nix the idea of trading young guns?

if you want to blame mcphee for hiring oates, i am with you. if you want to blame him for not hiring an established nhl coach, then i am sceptical. there is at least some evidence that leonsis doesnt want to spend the money on a pricey cup winning coach.

maybe this is why mcphee has lasted so long.
Either GMGM is the problem and should be fired or leonsis is meddling again and valuing ticket sales over wins. Both point to leonsis being the problem. The ONLY thing he understands is if the building starts to empty and messing with the bottom line.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

If you want to pay Corey Perry 9 mill like most top FA get

Perry is gonna get alot more then Semin money

I would still prolly do it if we can dump the bad contracts GMGM has filled the roster with at the deadline.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
If you want to pay Corey Perry 9 mill like most top FA get

Perry is gonna get alot more then Semin money

I would still prolly do it if we can dump the bad contracts GMGM has filled the roster with at the deadline.
They have the room to do it. I would. In a second.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Yep. Think of it...

Lets say we didn't have a season (again assuming we get a top 5 pick this year) and revisted the ping pong closed doors Crosby draft again. Not good.

Now we may get an additional stud to add to the two we have already. And Wilson will be on the team in some capacity soon as well.

Lets not forget we are in very good shape salary cap wise too.

They'd never admit it but I wonder if behind closed doors GMGM and Ted aren't twirling their mustaches and cackling like maniacs...
I doubt they're happy to see this club fail. But I am certain that they didn't expect to go for it all this season. I think at some point Ted might have thought the season wouldn't happen. Then with a poor UFA market, they rolled the dice that they could get hot enough to get to the playoffs this season.

Either way, the core of the roster is still young, and only getting better with 3 pieces already on the books (if not in the fold) and another good one coming.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
g00n
abides

More useless talk from the organization. Look where it's gotten them. Still think this isn't a season flushed down the toilet?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
G3 LesPaul

And this is why you will never win a cup McDerp

Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
g00n
abides

To hear them tell it, the Caps would win the Cup every year if not for a few bad bounces. Even in LAST PLACE with hardly any playoff success to speak of, they still think this. And not in a self-confidence kind of way, but in a self-delusion instead of realistic assessment kind of way.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
gogensgo

I just took the time to listen to the full press conference. I don't even have words to express what I just witnessed. I just feel sorry for all those diehard Caps fans.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
SDBondra

It's amazing how much misinformation and confused opinions are created by people taking bits and pieces from an interview and posting them out of context. You guys should watch the whole 18 minute interview with McPhee and make your own conclusions. Those little one-liners are completely misleading without the proper context.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Ovechkin

Don't worry Ted already got your money...he's good.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
BrettXNA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
It's amazing how much misinformation and confused opinions are created by people taking bits and pieces from an interview and posting them out of context. You guys should watch the whole 18 minute interview with McPhee and make your own conclusions. Those little one-liners are completely misleading without the proper context.
Put a cork in it Ted.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post

Do tell.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
Put a cork in it Ted.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
SDBondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Do tell.
The tweets at the top of this page seem to indicate that McPhee got up on his soapbox and talked about how he thought everything was fine and that if we stay the course we'll start winning. There was an element of that general attitude but to anyone who watched the press conference it's pretty obvious that he's disappointed, he blames the players for making stupid mistakes or for not stopping pucks and that he's mainly just trying to protect his players' egos by walking a company line.

Seriously ask yourself. Is any GM going to stand up on a podium and say the truth? "Hey guys here's the deal. Carlson is awful. Johansson is awful. Our goalies aren't ready for the NHL. Backstrom is playing like he's asleep. Hamrlik belongs on a rocking chair. Joel Ward has the personality of a piano. Schultz is a liability. Ovechkin only plays hard when everybody else takes the night off. Somehow Mike Green and that little Mexican guy are actually our best players. Our coach is in waaaay over his head with this band of idiots. I'm going to blow up this team. Peace out!"

Closed Thread