HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Best road venue to watch Pens

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
  #1
SteelFish87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Best road venue to watch Pens

havent been to many away games

best for me was Buffalo followed by Washington

SteelFish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:51 PM
  #2
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Living where I live I have access to 4 vemues in less than 90 minutes.

I actually like Long Island because I can afford to sit anywhere I want. It's a real pain in the rear fighting traffic to get there though.

I like seeing them play here in NJ because the fans never give me **** and are not even in the same stratosphere as Flyers and Rangers fans as far as being annoying losers. The Garden is an overrated venue and who in their right mind would enjoy being in Philly as an opposing fan?

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
  #3
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate
 
Mo Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Isle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul is a great venue.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
  #4
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,175
vCash: 500
Columbus!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 PM
  #5
turd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Florida's rink is very nice, parking is free, tickets are very cheap, and you can sit anywhere you want.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
  #6
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Diving in Head First
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Finland
Posts: 51,824
vCash: 422
I'd imagine Columbus. One of the best arenas in the league and it's essentially the 2005-08 home crowd on top of it.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
  #7
BeauKnows19
Registered User
 
BeauKnows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
I live in NJ but the best place to go to is Long Island. It's so cheap. I paid $50 and sat one row from the glass. There's always a bunch of other pens fans there too. Only problem is that the arena is practically a dump, but for that price it's worth it.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:49 AM
  #8
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Living where I live I have access to 4 vemues in less than 90 minutes.

I actually like Long Island because I can afford to sit anywhere I want. It's a real pain in the rear fighting traffic to get there though.

I like seeing them play here in NJ because the fans never give me **** and are not even in the same stratosphere as Flyers and Rangers fans as far as being annoying losers. The Garden is an overrated venue and who in their right mind would enjoy being in Philly as an opposing fan?
So true. So much money was dumped into that hole and its still pretty crappy. At least the lighting is better.

The best I've been to was TO or Montreal. Great cities and great aura at the games.

HM to Hartford. Hartfords kind of a dump IMO but the old Civic Center was downright awesome.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:29 AM
  #9
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 18,988
vCash: 500
Nationwide Arena.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:46 AM
  #10
Eli Cash
Registered User
 
Eli Cash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 170
I can only speak for Buffalo, as I live here now, but the games are a lot of fun when the Pens come into town. 1/3 of the arena is Pens fans, mostly from Canada. Most of them have never seen the Pens at Consol so they like to ask me a lot of questions. On top of that, Sabres fans are a very knowledgable and respectable bunch.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
  #11
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Seen the Pens in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

Montreal by far is the best of the 3 cause the crowd really gets into the game, Ottawa and Toronto is pretty quiet

Montreal is the place to catch a game\

For me, a trip to Pittsburgh will be planned in 2 years. Wife will take me for my 35th BDay

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  #12
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,674
vCash: 500
I've seen the Pens in DC, Denver, and Dallas. The best atmosphere was in DC because it was within conference but I really enjoyed the Pepsi Center. The Avalanche was my western team as a kid so that had something to do with it. I'd love to go to every arena some day.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
  #13
Azkals
Registered User
 
Azkals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Philippine
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
I'd definitely have to go with Columbus.

Long Island is awful. I'd rather watch the game at the Marriott next door than go inside that dump.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
  #14
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
havent been to many away games

best for me was Buffalo followed by Washington
Definitely have had the most fun at Buffalo games (went to 4 of them). It helps that the Pens have won all 4 there that I went to

Probably the best one was when Malkin won it in overtime a few years ago. I was engaging in some trash talk the whole game so it felt good to go out on top. The fans were not so happy though and gave me a "Kan_sas_Ci_ty" chant on the way out (this was during the new arena, Lemieux "visiting" Kansas City fiasco). That smarted a bit.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
  #15
lettuceAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
I'm from Canada an just booked my flight an hotel to go to a game at the console energy center. Still looking at tickets, any suggestions on where to get seats?

I'm going to see Rangees at pens, I figured that'd be a great game to go to, as I've never been to a NHL game before.

lettuceAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
  #16
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,425
vCash: 50
Since I'm in Kitchener (and am still without a passport for now) I've been pondering whether to catch a Pens game either in Toronto or Ottawa next year.

Between TO or Ottawa....where should I go????

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  #17
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
I've seen them in quite a few other cities, but for me it's Columbus. As someone else said, it's quite fun because the crowd is half (or more) Pens fans. I also love the arena/area it's in. Usually stay at the Hyatt, and can walk to the arena and there are restaurants right there.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
  #18
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Since I'm in Kitchener (and am still without a passport for now) I've been pondering whether to catch a Pens game either in Toronto or Ottawa next year.

Between TO or Ottawa....where should I go????
Ottawa, going to be cheaper and easier to find tickets

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
  #19
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Ottawa, going to be cheaper and easier to find tickets
Yup. I'm pretty sure the Pens game in April is actually a "bronze" game, which means it's one of the cheaper games.

I've been to a bunch of buildings in the NHL and they all offer different things. Montreal is easily the loudest, great place to party after the game also.

Xcel is a sick venue, it's got a similar feel to Consol with the open concourse.

I had a blast in Nashville. The arena's pretty standard but it empties out to a pretty fun strip of country bars (which is absolutely not my thing but was an awesome time when you're bombed).

Toronto is pretty pricey and stuffy. Venue's nice though.

Buffalo's a dump and the rink is a little odd. It's still a fun place to watch a game (similar set-up to SBP in Ottawa but with a few odd choices like escalators instead of stairs).

Ottawa's a weird one too. It's literally in the suburbs (which is awesome because I live in those suburbs) so there's really no where to go right after the game. One of my favorite things to do after a game is spill out of the arena and just follow the crowd to the nearest strip of bars and keep partying and you can't really do that in Ottawa. And because it's so far from downtown and is located in the west end of the city...almost everyone drives to games so parking is a mess. You can almost always buy tickets too...it's pretty much the only Canadian team that doesn't have ticket scarcity.

The Joe's a dump, but so is most of Detroit. It's still got a good vibe though but it's like Fenway park sorta...part of the experience is dealing with the ****** venue.

The Staples Center is a cool place also. Haven't seen a game there, but I was at the 2010 draft and hand a good time.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
  #20
tanoyidsot
Registered User
 
tanoyidsot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Living where I live I have access to 4 vemues in less than 90 minutes.

I actually like Long Island because I can afford to sit anywhere I want. It's a real pain in the rear fighting traffic to get there though.

I like seeing them play here in NJ because the fans never give me **** and are not even in the same stratosphere as Flyers and Rangers fans as far as being annoying losers. The Garden is an overrated venue and who in their right mind would enjoy being in Philly as an opposing fan?
I'm not the only Pens fan in NJ...lol

NJ is a good place to watch a game. Philly not so much!

tanoyidsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
  #21
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
I have always had fun in Columbus. Their arena district is a good time.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
  #22
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
I've seen the Pens in 8 arenas outside of the Burgh. Impressions...

Vancouver::
Crowd: Pretty subdued on most nights, but always buzzing when the Pens are in town
Arena: Like all others built in the 90s (i.e. sightlines good, seats nice, lighting good, concourses narrow)
Value: Bad. Ticket prices through the roof.

San Jose:
Crowd: Surprisingly lively during most games, including Pens games.
Arena: Like all others built in the 90s.
Value: OK. Decent tickets can be had for $50.

Edmonton:
Crowd: Lively on some nights, subdued on others. Buzzing with Pitt in town.
Arena: Pretty dumpy. Bad concourses, unique lighting (some like it, some don't) decent sightlines.
Value: Bad. Ticket prices steep.

Dallas:
Crowd: Even though it's not as busy as it used to be, the crowd is decently lively.
Arena: Like all built in the 90s.
Value: Bad. Ticket prices surprisingly steep given their low turnout. Decent seats are $70+.

Toronto:
Crowd: Rowdy at its best, the quietest in the league at its worst. Was lucky to attend the game with Jordan Staal's first hat trick during his rookie season, great game and the crowd was lively!
Arena: Like all built in the 90s.
Value: Worst in the league. 'Nuff said.

Buffalo:
Crowd: Very lively when I was there, but this was in the Drury/Briere days.
Arena: A little dumpy, but a tier above the real dumps of the league.
Value: OK. Decent seats can be had for around $50.

New York (MSG):
Crowd: Pretty subdued when I've been there, but they can get loud.
Arena: Better than I expected aside from the lighting. I'd say it's a second tier arena as opposed to 3rd/4th
Value: Bad. Decent seats are $70+.

Uniondale:
Crowd: Terrible. Totally subdued, half-empty, and disrespectful
Arena: The biggest dump in the league.
Value: Excellent. I sat in the 4th row for $40.


Last edited by LetangInTheSO: 02-07-2013 at 08:00 AM.
LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
  #23
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,425
vCash: 50
Yeah after I get a passport this summer, I wouldn't mind heading over to Buffalo for a Pens and Sabres game as well since I'm only like 2 hours away.

Am still looking at going to Ottawa next year though. Maybe even Pittsburgh if I can afford it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
  #24
Jacques G
Glassic
 
Jacques G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
I'd like to see them at Winnipeg, simply because Jets fans are actually alive at their games.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  #25
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!
 
dr robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
St. Louis is pretty awesome. Many Pens fans come out of the woodwork. I couldn't believe how many Lemieux jerseys show up at games. A fan gave me a honk of the horn after the Pens lost once, but it was really tame outside of that.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.