HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Best road venue to watch Pens

Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
SteelFish87

vCash: 500
Best road venue to watch Pens

havent been to many away games

best for me was Buffalo followed by Washington

SteelFish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:51 PM
SirBrad

Living where I live I have access to 4 vemues in less than 90 minutes.

I actually like Long Island because I can afford to sit anywhere I want. It's a real pain in the rear fighting traffic to get there though.

I like seeing them play here in NJ because the fans never give me **** and are not even in the same stratosphere as Flyers and Rangers fans as far as being annoying losers. The Garden is an overrated venue and who in their right mind would enjoy being in Philly as an opposing fan?

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul is a great venue.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Columbus!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 PM
turd

Florida's rink is very nice, parking is free, tickets are very cheap, and you can sit anywhere you want.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
I'd imagine Columbus. One of the best arenas in the league and it's essentially the 2005-08 home crowd on top of it.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
BeauKnows19

I live in NJ but the best place to go to is Long Island. It's so cheap. I paid $50 and sat one row from the glass. There's always a bunch of other pens fans there too. Only problem is that the arena is practically a dump, but for that price it's worth it.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post

I actually like Long Island because I can afford to sit anywhere I want. It's a real pain in the rear fighting traffic to get there though.

I like seeing them play here in NJ because the fans never give me **** and are not even in the same stratosphere as Flyers and Rangers fans as far as being annoying losers. The Garden is an overrated venue and who in their right mind would enjoy being in Philly as an opposing fan?
So true. So much money was dumped into that hole and its still pretty crappy. At least the lighting is better.

The best I've been to was TO or Montreal. Great cities and great aura at the games.

HM to Hartford. Hartfords kind of a dump IMO but the old Civic Center was downright awesome.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:29 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Nationwide Arena.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
I can only speak for Buffalo, as I live here now, but the games are a lot of fun when the Pens come into town. 1/3 of the arena is Pens fans, mostly from Canada. Most of them have never seen the Pens at Consol so they like to ask me a lot of questions. On top of that, Sabres fans are a very knowledgable and respectable bunch.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Seen the Pens in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

Montreal by far is the best of the 3 cause the crowd really gets into the game, Ottawa and Toronto is pretty quiet

Montreal is the place to catch a game\

For me, a trip to Pittsburgh will be planned in 2 years. Wife will take me for my 35th BDay

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Shady Machine

I've seen the Pens in DC, Denver, and Dallas. The best atmosphere was in DC because it was within conference but I really enjoyed the Pepsi Center. The Avalanche was my western team as a kid so that had something to do with it. I'd love to go to every arena some day.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Azkals

I'd definitely have to go with Columbus.

Long Island is awful. I'd rather watch the game at the Marriott next door than go inside that dump.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
havent been to many away games

best for me was Buffalo followed by Washington
Definitely have had the most fun at Buffalo games (went to 4 of them). It helps that the Pens have won all 4 there that I went to

Probably the best one was when Malkin won it in overtime a few years ago. I was engaging in some trash talk the whole game so it felt good to go out on top. The fans were not so happy though and gave me a "Kan_sas_Ci_ty" chant on the way out (this was during the new arena, Lemieux "visiting" Kansas City fiasco). That smarted a bit.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
lettuceAA

I'm from Canada an just booked my flight an hotel to go to a game at the console energy center. Still looking at tickets, any suggestions on where to get seats?

I'm going to see Rangees at pens, I figured that'd be a great game to go to, as I've never been to a NHL game before.

lettuceAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Since I'm in Kitchener (and am still without a passport for now) I've been pondering whether to catch a Pens game either in Toronto or Ottawa next year.

Between TO or Ottawa....where should I go????

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
PensFan68

I've seen them in quite a few other cities, but for me it's Columbus. As someone else said, it's quite fun because the crowd is half (or more) Pens fans. I also love the arena/area it's in. Usually stay at the Hyatt, and can walk to the arena and there are restaurants right there.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Since I'm in Kitchener (and am still without a passport for now) I've been pondering whether to catch a Pens game either in Toronto or Ottawa next year.

Between TO or Ottawa....where should I go????
Ottawa, going to be cheaper and easier to find tickets

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Ottawa, going to be cheaper and easier to find tickets
Yup. I'm pretty sure the Pens game in April is actually a "bronze" game, which means it's one of the cheaper games.

I've been to a bunch of buildings in the NHL and they all offer different things. Montreal is easily the loudest, great place to party after the game also.

Xcel is a sick venue, it's got a similar feel to Consol with the open concourse.

I had a blast in Nashville. The arena's pretty standard but it empties out to a pretty fun strip of country bars (which is absolutely not my thing but was an awesome time when you're bombed).

Toronto is pretty pricey and stuffy. Venue's nice though.

Buffalo's a dump and the rink is a little odd. It's still a fun place to watch a game (similar set-up to SBP in Ottawa but with a few odd choices like escalators instead of stairs).

Ottawa's a weird one too. It's literally in the suburbs (which is awesome because I live in those suburbs) so there's really no where to go right after the game. One of my favorite things to do after a game is spill out of the arena and just follow the crowd to the nearest strip of bars and keep partying and you can't really do that in Ottawa. And because it's so far from downtown and is located in the west end of the city...almost everyone drives to games so parking is a mess. You can almost always buy tickets too...it's pretty much the only Canadian team that doesn't have ticket scarcity.

The Joe's a dump, but so is most of Detroit. It's still got a good vibe though but it's like Fenway park sorta...part of the experience is dealing with the ****** venue.

The Staples Center is a cool place also. Haven't seen a game there, but I was at the 2010 draft and hand a good time.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
tanoyidsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post

I'm not the only Pens fan in NJ...lol

NJ is a good place to watch a game. Philly not so much!

tanoyidsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
JTG

I have always had fun in Columbus. Their arena district is a good time.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
LetangInTheSO

I've seen the Pens in 8 arenas outside of the Burgh. Impressions...

Vancouver::
Crowd: Pretty subdued on most nights, but always buzzing when the Pens are in town
Arena: Like all others built in the 90s (i.e. sightlines good, seats nice, lighting good, concourses narrow)
Value: Bad. Ticket prices through the roof.

San Jose:
Crowd: Surprisingly lively during most games, including Pens games.
Arena: Like all others built in the 90s.
Value: OK. Decent tickets can be had for $50.

Edmonton:
Crowd: Lively on some nights, subdued on others. Buzzing with Pitt in town.
Arena: Pretty dumpy. Bad concourses, unique lighting (some like it, some don't) decent sightlines.
Value: Bad. Ticket prices steep.

Dallas:
Crowd: Even though it's not as busy as it used to be, the crowd is decently lively.
Arena: Like all built in the 90s.
Value: Bad. Ticket prices surprisingly steep given their low turnout. Decent seats are $70+.

Toronto:
Crowd: Rowdy at its best, the quietest in the league at its worst. Was lucky to attend the game with Jordan Staal's first hat trick during his rookie season, great game and the crowd was lively!
Arena: Like all built in the 90s.
Value: Worst in the league. 'Nuff said.

Buffalo:
Crowd: Very lively when I was there, but this was in the Drury/Briere days.
Arena: A little dumpy, but a tier above the real dumps of the league.
Value: OK. Decent seats can be had for around $50.

New York (MSG):
Crowd: Pretty subdued when I've been there, but they can get loud.
Arena: Better than I expected aside from the lighting. I'd say it's a second tier arena as opposed to 3rd/4th
Value: Bad. Decent seats are $70+.

Uniondale:
Crowd: Terrible. Totally subdued, half-empty, and disrespectful
Arena: The biggest dump in the league.
Value: Excellent. I sat in the 4th row for $40.

Last edited by LetangInTheSO: 02-07-2013 at 08:00 AM.
LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Yeah after I get a passport this summer, I wouldn't mind heading over to Buffalo for a Pens and Sabres game as well since I'm only like 2 hours away.

Am still looking at going to Ottawa next year though. Maybe even Pittsburgh if I can afford it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

I'd like to see them at Winnipeg, simply because Jets fans are actually alive at their games.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

St. Louis is pretty awesome. Many Pens fans come out of the woodwork. I couldn't believe how many Lemieux jerseys show up at games. A fan gave me a honk of the horn after the Pens lost once, but it was really tame outside of that.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote