HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Stralman

Old
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
I think he stepped up towards the end of last year and I am confident in him now. People (here) act like staal, mcd, girardi are infallable sometimes, and well apparently del zotto or "del zaster" is the worlds worst defenseman when he makes a mistake. My point is every defenseman has lapses, and stralman will too, but he has shown that torts can lean on him a little more and we have 5 defensemen that can be counted on. I know its a broken record but if we had Sauer those 6 dmen would be solid locked down and not even a problem, then again we would have prob never had stralman. I like stralsy, especially shooting from the point and on the pp as well...im glad hes here not as a fill in but as our 5th dman.

Now trying to solidify the 6th...gilroy vs eminger?

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I think he stepped up towards the end of last year and I am confident in him now. People (here) act like staal, mcd, girardi are infallable sometimes, and well apparently del zotto or "del zaster" is the worlds worst defenseman when he makes a mistake. My point is every defenseman has lapses, and stralman will too, but he has shown that torts can lean on him a little more and we have 5 defensemen that can be counted on. I know its a broken record but if we had Sauer those 6 dmen would be solid locked down and not even a problem, then again we would have prob never had stralman. I like stralsy, especially shooting from the point and on the pp as well...im glad hes here not as a fill in but as our 5th dman.

Now trying to solidify the 6th...gilroy vs eminger?
Maybe next year that 6th guy is mcillrath, though i doubt it.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Sher-Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Interesting. I know that Finland is very close to Russia (I think they were part of it at one point, no?), do you know if there's some sort of Russian influence with the name?
No russian influence with the name Anton. Anton is a name with german origin, english variation is of cause Anthony, in spanish Antonio and in russian Antonov. German language influences in sweden was significant in the 17th and 18th centurys and ever since then "Anton" has been quite popular in sweden over the decades but the origin is german.

Last edited by Sher-Wood: 02-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Sher-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingbathulk View Post
I have no idea!

I googled it and apparently it's a German version of the Latin Antonius.

And yes, Finland used to be a part of Russia, but also once was part of Sweden so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it (Sweden also had a chunk of Russian territory. We used to be the big guy around the block ).
Interesting, Russia probably borrowed from Germany. I know a number of Russian names came from Greece, never knew Germany.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:31 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher-Wood View Post
No russian influence with the name Anton. Anton is a name with german origin, english variation is of cause Anthony, in spanish Antonio and in russian Antonov. German language influences in sweden was significant in the 17th and 18th centurys and ever since then "Anton" has been quite popular in sweden over the decades but the origin is german.
Antonov may be a last name, but the name is actually Anton. See: Anton Volchenkov.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Sher-Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Antonov may be a last name, but the name is actually Anton. See: Anton Volchenkov.
You may be right about that, but the origin is german. The english variation is Anthony and the spanish is Antonio.

Sher-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Raymones

It seems names come around every once in a while. I work in a school and lots of names on today's children were used in the generation of my grandmother. Anton was a popular name 60+ years ago, and had a resurrection about 20 years ago. Last year it was 16th on the list of most popular names given to newborn boys (according to svenskanamn.se).

I'm very glad to see Strålman doing well and getting some recognition, but I'm not at all surprised. I've always been confident he'd be a contributing NHL d-man. He always had the talent. He's also the kind of player who seems to improve with increased responsability. He had some great WC's for Tre Kronor 2007-2009.

Torts and Co. for sure did a great job developing his defensive game, hopefully he'll get some spark in offense too. Creating offense was always his strenght.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

His first few games here were no good, and I said some pretty mean things I'd like to take back.

He's elevated his game consistently.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM
thepoeticgoblin

vCash: 750
I was happy when we picked him up last year. As he is a Swede I have studied him a bit so I knew his offensive potential but I never thought he'd become so solid both ways.

Torts awoke the sleeping potential within Anton. He is not as prolific offensively as I thought but he's a damn good player and he shut up most haters last year, and he's building on that this season.

Absolute steal and (finally) a proven NHL:er.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Absolutely love The Lawman. Caught some serious luck in getting him.

02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Giacomin

A very underated player. He seems to fit in well with the Rangers

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Joey Bones
Trump's Hairgel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoeticgoblin View Post
I was happy when we picked him up last year. As he is a Swede I have studied him a bit so I knew his offensive potential but I never thought he'd become so solid both ways.

Torts awoke the sleeping potential within Anton. He is not as prolific offensively as I thought but he's a damn good player and he shut up most haters last year, and he's building on that this season.

Absolute steal and (finally) a proven NHL:er.
Absolutely agree with this post. Proven NHLer was exact term!!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

Stralsy has been flying under the radar for sure. He's been really decent and consistent. I thought that when Stall came back in the winter classic Stralman was the best defenseman we had on the team that day and it wasn't mentioned by anyone.

Since Torts has demanded physical play from him his compete level has gone through the roof. I think he realized how to play tough and use his speed to his advantage. Would I love it if he shot more because he has a very good shot. But his play has been very good.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Lawman can throw a ****ing hit haha. Always feel the need to give him credit there.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote