HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl - Wsh

Old
02-08-2013, 01:59 PM
BTD5504

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
No, it's not. You don't trade a guy who's going to be in or just outside the Norris debate for a guy who I'm not even sure I wouldn't prefer less than 20 other centers.
Well then there is no point in even debating with you, since your level of talent evaluation isn't anywhere near "good".

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Gotta love the Caps center depth if they trade Backstrom. You've got a 33 year old Ribeiro on an expiring contract who probably doesn't want to resign here. Johansson at 2C who's just about played his way out of the lineup so far this season. And at 3C is Laich, who isn't even healthy at the moment. That's a recipe for success right there.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
Well then there is no point in even debating with you, since your level of talent evaluation isn't anywhere near "good".
Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Tavares, Stamkos, Staal, Toews, Kopitar, Richards, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Benn, LeCavalier, Thornton, Zetterberg, Eberle, Richards, Spezza, Backes, Sedin.

There's 20.

Tell me ONE where Backstrom is preferable RIGHT NOW.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Tavares, Stamkos, Staal, Toews, Kopitar, Richards, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Benn, LeCavalier, Thornton, Zetterberg, Eberle, Richards, Spezza, Backes, Sedin.

There's 20.

What do you mean "right now"? "Right now" as in when he's slumping? Have you checked how Richards has been doing by chance?

Histrionics over the caps meltdown aside, Backstrom is easily preferable to Backes, Richards (either), Eberle* (lol), Lecavalier, Benn. When you take age into account Thornton, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Spezza and Lecavalier as well. Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos are the only ones clearly ahead. Toews, Giroux, Tavares, Getzlaf and Kopitar are right around where he is.

Eberle* is not even a center.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
BTD5504

Quote:

There's 20.

Every name I bolded I would take Backstrom over RIGHT NOW. I doubt everyone agrees, but I also doubt that any GM would even put 10 centers above Nick Backstrom, based on production, age and contract.

Good try, though.

And the Richards I am referring to when I bolded this is Mike Richards. I'd almost take Backstrom over Brad Richards too, but he's been a beast in the playoffs.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

There's 20.

All of these easily. If we're talking about value then you'd have to factor in age, so add Thornton, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Eberle is not a center. Getzlaf and Spezza are debatable.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
SheasRebellion6

Quote:

There's 20.

Backes and LeCavalier. I may be wrong, but the last time I checked Eberle isn't a center.

When you say RIGHT NOW do you mean if you had to pick one to have for just this season?

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
Every name I bolded I would take Backstrom over RIGHT NOW. I doubt everyone agrees, but I also doubt that any GM would even put 10 centers above Nick Backstrom, based on production, age and contract.

Good try, though.

And the Richards I am referring to when I bolded this is Mike Richards. I'd almost take Backstrom over Brad Richards too, but he's been a beast in the playoffs.
Typo on Eberle.

So, you're saying, at best Backstrom is #9 on the center list, and it could be closer to the teens.

Either way, I'm not trading a guy who will be in the Norris discussion for a decade for that, especially when that is as likely to seek witness protection when the rubber meets the road as he is to step up.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Domino11

How about

Plekanec + Beaulieu + Galagher for backstrom

Plekanec is a 1B centre , play well on both side , 30 years old and he's in is prime
Beaulieu is a blue chip prospect ,hockey future put him in the top 25 prospect in the owl league
Galagher as been showing he could play in the league and he's young

Washington defenetly need a change of direction cause this is not going anywhere

Domino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Typo on Eberle.

So, you're saying, at best Backstrom is #9 on the center list, and it could be closer to the teens.

Either way, I'm not trading a guy who will be in the Norris discussion for a decade for that, especially when that is as likely to seek witness protection when the rubber meets the road as he is to step up.
It's not purely about value, because the trade doesn't happen in a vacuum. Caps have enough young defensemen. On the other hand with Ribeiro a pending UFA Backstrom is our only top 6 center. To make matters worse, we don't currently have any good center prospects.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
What other needs does Washington have? What else should we add to say Berglund?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Wouldn't a trade from St. Louis' end just kill its depth? Backstrom is probably more untouchable than Ovechkin at this point.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Wouldn't a trade from St. Louis' end just kill its depth? Backstrom is probably more untouchable than Ovechkin at this point.
Depends if Washington is interested in prospects too. We could easily move a couple roster forwards for an upgrade though.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'd very strongly consider Backstrom for Perron + Berglund + 1st from a Washington perspective (especially if Ribeiro is extended). Skeptical about St. Louis being interested. Needs to be richer than Perron + Steward + 2nd, and it can't leave us completely devoid of center depth.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'd very strongly consider Backstrom for Perron + Berglund + 1st from a Washington perspective (especially if Ribeiro is extended). Skeptical about St. Louis being interested. Needs to be richer than Perron + Steward + 2nd, and it can't leave us completely devoid of center depth.
That's just too much, but I understand why you'd ask for it for Backstrom.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

The discussion for Backstrom would have to start with a #1 centerman going to Washington.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
The discussion for Backstrom would have to start with a #1 centerman going to Washington.
Which St. Louis doesn't have. Well, Backes definitely won't be traded so it would have be Berglund. Then it gets less enticing for Washington since it won't be an upgrade over Backstrom.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
That's just too much, but I understand why you'd ask for it for Backstrom.
What if we threw in a conditional pick (2014 2nd, 2013 3rd if you reach SCF)?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Just thinking out loud, but what about dropping Backstrom from the discussion and thinking if there's any deal involving Kuznetsov that makes sense. Don't know if there is, or even if it makes sense for us considering how long we might have to wait.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Just thinking out loud, but what about dropping Backstrom from the discussion and thinking if there's any deal involving Kuznetsov that makes sense. Don't know if there is, or even if it makes sense for us considering how long we might have to wait.
How about we flip that around and just send Tarasenko to Washington?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
How about we flip that around and just send Tarasenko to Washington?
What do Washington fans think of Backstrom relative to Kuznetsov? Backstrom HAS to be more valuable, right?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Makes no sense for use to trade Kuzya. His value is too low.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
What if we threw in a conditional pick (2014 2nd, 2013 3rd if you reach SCF)?
Picks don't do much for us. What are your other needs?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
This is effectively downgrading from Backstrom to Berglund. What does Perron do for us exactly, especially with Kuznetsov, Forsberg and a UFA class bursting with wingers on the way?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Perron
Stewart
Schwartz

Backstrom
Pick
Thats a solid proposal, I gives WAS some much needed depth @ the top 6 and gives the elite player STL have looking for years

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote