HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
marty111

vCash: 500
Serious curious question(s) for Cancuk fans:

Do you guys think Luongo will waive his NTC to go to a non-playoff team this year if he's asked at the deadline?

Why would he do that if he's playing well and often for the Nucks?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post

Do you guys think Luongo will waive his NTC to go to a non-playoff team this year if he's asked at the deadline?

That's a good question. I think if it's Florida he most certainly would, other teams - have no idea.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Caps really need to acquire one of Vancouver's goalies before it's too late to save their season.
I don't get it though... you guys are going to want impact players back. How does that help them?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Quote:

Team dependent. But most teams I think he would waive to go to.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Team dependent. But most teams I think he would waive to go to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
That's a good question. I think if it's Florida he most certainly would, other teams - have no idea.
Florida I could see since that's where he wants to be. Otherwise, he should have his sights set on the cup.

Which leads me to another question... what playoff bound team is going to give up impact players for Luongo when they will need them for the playoffs?

I guess what I'm trying to say if Gillis has the catch the timing just right with this otherwise it's going to be really difficult for him to get the value everyone is expecting.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

As has been said depends on the team, FLA for sure. Others I think it depends where they are as a team and in the standings.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
Florida I could see since that's where he wants to be. Otherwise, he should have his sights set on the cup.

Which leads me to another question... what playoff bound team is going to give up impact players for Luongo when they will need them for the playoffs?

I guess what I'm trying to say if Gillis has the catch the timing just right with this otherwise it's going to be really difficult for him to get the value everyone is expecting.
Most teams go into the season believing they can make the playoffs. The off season is when GMMG can get an impact player back (assuming that is what he wants, rather than futures) and the time a team is more likely to part with one.

Up to and at the trade deadline GMMG can only expect to get non-impact players or futures.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Poor Schnieder... This was supposed to be his year to cement himself as a elite #1 goaltender... Luongo is screwing that up for him right now..
As a Flyers fan, I have no bias opinion here. How has Lou screwing that up for him? What, because Luongo has played well? We always plays well. He is still a top goalie. Remember when Thomas lost his job to Rask, then won it back, what was the result? Oh yeah...a cup! Reality is that Vancouver has 1 elite goalie, and a 2nd that they think is ready to show he is elite and are willing to risk they are true. But only when they get good value for their elite goalie.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamhuisHip View Post
Up to and at the trade deadline GMMG can only expect to get non-impact players or futures.
I tend to agree.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
As a Flyers fan, I have no bias opinion here. How has Lou screwing that up for him? What, because Luongo has played well? We always plays well. He is still a top goalie. Remember when Thomas lost his job to Rask, then won it back, what was the result? Oh yeah...a cup! Reality is that Vancouver has 1 elite goalie, and a 2nd that they think is ready to show he is elite and are willing to risk they are true. But only when they get good value for their elite goalie.
The way I`ve seen it all along.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
FAMOUSfin

Vancouver will need a player that can step in and help the team now rather than a long term project in MoJo if they're going to move both Luongo and Raymond, both who are playing very well right now.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
SDBondra

I think MoJo is ready to contribute now if he can play with a line who makes space for him. He is lightning fast and even though he makes a lot of mental mistakes he is still smart and slick with the puck. That trade would be awesome for the Caps though. I agree just MoJo and Neuvirth aren't enough for that package. We'd probably have to add something more than just a 2nd or a scrub but I think Brouwer is probably out of the question right now. He's one of McPhee's favorites.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

Would that really be an issue? Just look at the standings right now, considering that it's a lockout shortened season there should only be a couple teams that are truly 'out' by the time the trade deadline arrives.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Huh?

Gaborik, Richards, Nash, and arguably A. McDonald are all PPG players on those teams. I'm also not sure how you can state those teams are the "class of the league" and exclude teams like Pitts, Boston, Chicago, Nashville, SJ, and Vancouver etc..

NYR was considered a contender before they got Nash. Richards hasn't been PPG in that system, but I did forget Gaborik's production. From visiting NYR's boards you can see they favour Richards over Gaborik anyways. McDonald has been PPG or close but he's got other issues.(I did mention BOS). And just interesting to point out: All of the forwards here were either traded for, or secured in FA.

PIT and CHI being the class of the east depends on how they call the games. With the way they're doing it now, the bigger teams have the advantage over the more skilled teams.

At this point, I'd like to draw attention to you naming 8 teams (implying), and some of those teams don't have PPG forwards like NSH or BOS. Yet, the still contend. Which was my point. You don't need things to break right and provide a younger version of the Sedins, or a Datsyuk+Zetterberg. You can do it without such types coming up through your system if you manage well, which Gillis can do.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
But last year when he had success scoring 46 points, what position was he playing?
I'm not a great guy with advanced stats, but Johansson's top two linemates last season were Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin...he ONLY had 46 points last year playing the majority of his ice time with those two.

Chris Higgins played with Jannick Hansen and Cody Hodgson mostly, with spurts with Kesler and Booth...he scored at a 49 point pace, while bringing substantially more to the table than Johansson.

He's just not a good fit.

Also, his corsi #'s were among the worst on his team. Many believe the Canucks use these metrics quite a bit when evaluating players....Johansson doesn't seem like a player they'd target.

After saying all that, Gillis is clearly targeting certain players in a deal for Luongo, so just because some team offers players formerly drafted in the 1st round isn't reason to get excited. Johansson clearly isn't the type he's targeting, especially if all he gets with him is a poopy goalie.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
But apparently Raymond will be traded part of this package? Personally I think Gillis trades Higgins before Raymond.

Johansson
Neuvirth
Prospect*

For

Luongo
Higgins

I doubt Gillis makes a trade like suggested after holding out so long, and Luongo playing very well. At the very least a good prospect needs to be added. I think Gillis would like Tom Wilson and his size, but I can see Forsberg being a possibility as well.

I don't think Higgins gets traded before Raymond. With the way things are going, Raymond will price himself out of the market while Higgins provides a more versatile game, and is likely to take a cheaper contract due to lower comparative production.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm not a great guy with advanced stats, but Johansson's top two linemates last season were Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin...he ONLY had 46 points last year playing the majority of his ice time with those two.

Chris Higgins played with Jannick Hansen and Cody Hodgson mostly, with spurts with Kesler and Booth...he scored at a 49 point pace, while bringing substantially more to the table than Johansson.

He's just not a good fit.

Also, his corsi #'s were among the worst on his team. Many believe the Canucks use these metrics quite a bit when evaluating players....Johansson doesn't seem like a player they'd target.

After saying all that, Gillis is clearly targeting certain players in a deal for Luongo, so just because some team offers players formerly drafted in the 1st round isn't reason to get excited. Johansson clearly isn't the type he's targeting, especially if all he gets with him is a poopy goalie.

Essentially, yeah. Johansson won't be the main part of any package for Luongo (IMO). It all depends on what comes with him. And yes, Mojo's advanced stats are... unflattering. Even in his 46 point season.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Essentially, yeah. Johansson won't be the main part of any package for Luongo (IMO). It all depends on what comes with him. And yes, Mojo's advanced stats are... unflattering. Even in his 46 point season.
I agree Johansson I don't Johansson is what Canucks should be looking. I suggested Brouwer and I still think he is a player that would fit nicely, it is only next years salary that is concerning.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Excellent post. Well written. I agree that I may be putting my standard of what a contender is too high. Perhaps we wont be FAVORITES but we can still be in the mix without the Sedins.

But here is my belief. Luongo can stay strong for 5 years, at least solid, then trading Schneider will get us back a solid top 10 prospect and a first and second rounder. there are a dozen teams around the league that need a contending goalie who can grow with the team for 5 more years .

So our prospect base would grow with the Schneider return, and we have Eddie Lack to back Luongo up.

And you are right. Since he is injured we aint trading either goalie . A cheapie back up would have to be in the package.

I know the option is there to trade Schneider, but I value him far more than most, so I see moving him as a non-starter. To me, his name will be synonymous with the Canucks for the next 10 years. He'll be the face of the team. The spokesman. Kesler and Edler are not of that personality type, Schneider is.

I don't want to say he will be the Canucks next "franchise" goalie/player because he hasn't proven it yet. He is of that level to me though. It's only a matter of time until he proves that consistency. That's why I think Gillis didn't move him when he clearly could have for 2.5 years or more. He saw Schneider's importance long-term to the organization. So while I know that he can be dealt and the Canucks still have an elite goalie in house, I think the door on that possibility was never open to begin with. Schneider will remain a Canuck regardless. Luongo will be the one to move. The decision only gets easier because Luongo said it's time to move on.

All IMO of course.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Numbers

Quote:
I don't think Higgins gets traded before Raymond. With the way things are going, Raymond will price himself out of the market while Higgins provides a more versatile game, and is likely to take a cheaper contract due to lower comparative production.
I don't think Higgins is resigned next year regardless. Raymond may have a chance on a longer term, smaller cap hit deal. 3 year range, if he has good chemistry with Schroeder this year. I think Gillis wants Schroeder to play 3rd line center going forward, so player who play well with him I think have a better chance staying.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
But apparently Raymond will be traded part of this package? Personally I think Gillis trades Higgins before Raymond.

Johansson
Neuvirth
Prospect*

For

Luongo
Higgins

I doubt Gillis makes a trade like suggested after holding out so long, and Luongo playing very well. At the very least a good prospect needs to be added. I think Gillis would like Tom Wilson and his size, but I can see Forsberg being a possibility as well.
i dont think the canucks deal raymond or higgins. once kesler and booth are back there is no gaping hole, and forward group looks solid. dont see any reason to give up raymond / higgins for no improvement whatsoever unless the prospect is a great one.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
totally agree

Old
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullyoursocksup View Post
i dont think the canucks deal raymond or higgins. once kesler and booth are back there is no gaping hole, and forward group looks solid. dont see any reason to give up raymond / higgins for no improvement whatsoever unless the prospect is a great one.
And even if the prospect is Filip Forsberg, I'm still not sure it's worth moving Lu this year for him.

The draft is when he'll be dealt, the offer won't have to 'knock socks off' like one would during the season IMO.

A pure futures move at the draft is what I expect.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I agree Johansson I don't Johansson is what Canucks should be looking. I suggested Brouwer and I still think he is a player that would fit nicely, it is only next years salary that is concerning.

The Brouwer ship has sailed IMO. They can no longer cost-control this player and WSH isn't going to eat salary on him. He's a Cap for the foreseeable future...

From WSH, it's Mojo + prospect(s). That's the only package that really makes sense. Throw in Neuverth for back up purposes. But that's the basis of a deal. Does it go down? Probably unlikely give that McPhee will be dealing from a major position of weakness. Traditionally, he's only struck deals when the cost to him has been minimal. Now though, he knows his team is really struggling and won't bend to such demands... even at the cost of his own job.

It would be different if everything else in WSH was going well aside from goaltending, but they have more problems.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
And even if the prospect is Filip Forsberg, I'm still not sure it's worth moving Lu this year for him.

The draft is when he'll be dealt, the offer won't have to 'knock socks off' like one would during the season IMO.

A pure futures move at the draft is what I expect.

But does WSH have the motivation to do this deal at the draft? Do they still put Forsberg on the table at the draft?

I agree that a deal at the draft seems far more likely. Ride the two-headed monster into the playoffs a la Boston.

Closed Thread