HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alain Vigneault Discussion - Part 3

View Poll Results: Do you want AV fired?
Yes, get rid of him now. 70 46.36%
Yes, but only if we get knocked out of the 1st/2nd round of the playoffs. 46 30.46%
No. 35 23.18%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Fat Tony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
decided to change players instead of a whole game plan.
You implied that they didn't have much of a gameplan for the Oilers other than letting the kids play their game. Changing the lines after being outshot and outscored in the first period belies that.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
You implied that they didn't have much of a gameplan for the Oilers other than letting the kids play their game. Changing the lines after being outshot and outscored in the first period belies that.
I didn't mean to imply they didn't have a game plan, I think they always have a plan. I was trying to imply that the have a season strategy and a plan for lets say for the sake of argument, the next 2 weeks (or fought-night were I'm from). In that plan the say something like...
Home game against Chicago, we know they want a fast paced game with lots of room for there stars, we better not let them have that we have to play like this to win this one.
Away to Oilers, They will want to play the same type of game as Chicago. and have a very dangerous PP. We will play there Power play like this and not let them gain momentum, we will give them the room they want ES, no need throwing hits against kids, And make sure there scoring chances are low%, we'll see how our players do against that type of momentum and try and go .500 on the road.

Im not saying that was the plan, just trying to illustrate what I meant. This also is to much speculation then I'm comfortable with. I do con-seed that I do not know enough about hockey to state my opinions as fact, just trying to counter those that say, "They didn't want the win bad enough fire AV"

Also "belies" is to big a word for this HS dropout, Had to google that one

Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't think its possible to "give it all" or "100%" in an normal NHL season, This one is even more congested.All though he probably shouldn't say it. In every sport teams pick games they want to win. Having a Great home record and say .500 on the road is usually the plan. You could see the difference between the Chicago game and the Oil game. Chicago they had a clear game plan that was executed very well. They controlled the pace of the game and made sure they weren't out skilled. Against the Oil they seemed to let the kids play the game they wanted to, we seem to be content trying to play there game. I don't think they think there a threat. if it cam close to losing the division to them I think well turn up, play a checking game like when we out hit teams 45 to 10, at the moment there,s no point.
It certainly feels that way sometimes when they face the Oilers.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Bleach Clean

The MIN game was the first full game effort I saw from the team. 10 games in. Best start in 7 years.

It's unbelievable that the Canucks have the record that they do with how they started out. Good job AV?

I think on the whole, the start is sub-standard, but the results have been strong. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM
dave babych returns

I think the bottom line is that this team is good enough to win (regular season, at least) games under adverse conditions.

Top pairing is a mess? Turns out the $4m guy on the bottom pairing is going to play his best games in a Canuck jersey.

Missing a 2nd line? Here comes a player back from a career threatening injury and another guy from the farm team to put up 7 goals in the first 9 games.

The teams offensive leaders are sputtering? Ho hum, the two best offensive forwards and best offensive defenseman have 8, 6 and 8 points through 10 games respectively.

One of your goaltenders is being outplayed by the other (which means he only has three wins and a shutout through five games)? Great, your backup is an All Star and between the two they'll allow 2 or fewer goals in 8 of 10 games.

Honestly I think if this team can get healthy and on a roll all at the same time they will be the deepest group in the league - and next year really will be about attempting to preserve as much of that depth as possible with fewer cap dollars to go around.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
This team has surprised me, and I think a key part is our youth. Schroeder and Kassian have stood out as important players so far and filled some holes that we had. Not sure you can rely on this to continue consistently all year, but it's definitely promising. When Kesler and Booth return we shouldn't need to rely on these kids to push the play, rather they can supplement what our stars do and that should make us more dangerous. Hopefully AV doesn't send either kid down.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Looks like Darryl Sutters using his supreme motivational skills to motivate his team to mediocrity. Probably some sort of strategy or something.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Looks like Darryl Sutters using his supreme motivational skills to motivate his team to mediocrity. Probably some sort of strategy or something.
If AV wins us a Cup, the team can finish 9th for the next decade and he'll get a pass from me. I'm not even half joking.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
If AV wins us a Cup, the team can finish 9th for the next decade and he'll get a pass from me. I'm not even half joking.
'Cept AV doesnt win you the cup the players do.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
????

Why are you critical of Sutter then? It's their players playing to mediocrity.

You know exactly what I mean.

Last edited by Fat Tony: 02-08-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Everyone plays a role.

If people are happy with AV, I still want a new "eye in there sky" coach to help make up for AV's weaknesses.... And fire Bowness, worse coach of all time - go look at his coaching record.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Everyone plays a role.

If people are happy with AV, I still want a new "eye in there sky" coach to help make up for AV's weaknesses.... And fire Bowness, worse coach of all time - go look at his coaching record.
Some people are better suited to be assistant coaches.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The MIN game was the first full game effort I saw from the team. 10 games in. Best start in 7 years.

It's unbelievable that the Canucks have the record that they do with how they started out. Good job AV?

I think on the whole, the start is sub-standard, but the results have been strong. I'm not sure what to make of it.
If you're judging the Canucks against past teams and their play then I can see that. But if you look around the league at how difficult it has been for most teams to play good hockey... they've come together rather quickly. And without two top 6 forwards...

Last edited by Scurr: 02-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Everyone plays a role.

Since Bowness has been here we've been a good to great defensive team every year. Since Gillis changed the style of our defensemen, they've also been amongst the highest scoring bluelines every season, along with being a top defensive team.

Bowness coaching record since he got here has been outstanding.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Some people are better suited to be assistant coaches.
Some assistant coaches look too much like hosers to be taken seriously.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Bowness coaching record since he got here has been outstanding.
Yeah, Bowness might be a bad coach but his coaching record isn't really determinative in that regard. He spent four seasons as head coach of the worst team of the modern era and it's not as though the coaches preceding or succeeding him, including Jack Adams winners Bob Francis and Jacques Martin, did any better than he did with the same/similar teams.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Just wanted to bring up something I found Interesting. In previous Interviews AV has said that he dose not interact with players on a personal level, I don't have a source but it think he talks about it on the "Behind the bench" series they did last year. He gave his reasons like, Not wanting to be seen as playing favorites, or being friends with the players. However in a recent interview he said "He (Schroeder) told me that his parents brought a box, so I guess i better play him". I thought it was interesting and poses a couple of questions. Has AV changed his style a little bit?, Dose he make an exception for the young guys?, Or was it a bit misleading that "I don't have any personal contact" sentiment. Just thought I would shear some thoughts, I'm not really reading to much into it, Just my wife doesn't give a crap, so I thought I'd make you guys read it.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Just wanted to bring up something I found Interesting. In previous Interviews AV has said that he dose not interact with players on a personal level, I don't have a source but it think he talks about it on the "Behind the bench" series they did last year. He gave his reasons like, Not wanting to be seen as playing favorites, or being friends with the players. However in a recent interview he said "He (Schroeder) told me that his parents brought a box, so I guess i better play him". I thought it was interesting and poses a couple of questions. Has AV changed his style a little bit?, Dose he make an exception for the young guys?, Or was it a bit misleading that "I don't have any personal contact" sentiment. Just thought I would shear some thoughts, I'm not really reading to much into it, Just my wife doesn't give a crap, so I thought I'd make you guys read it.
I think a coach has to be careful not to become too friendly with players but it would be equally foolhardy not to get to know your players personally. AV seems to do a nice job balancing the two.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
here's a good article that shows why av is probably smarter at hockey than you

Old
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Scurr

Interesting to note that both AV and coach Q pulled their teams aside for a few minutes after the skate today. I can't remember who mentioned it on the TEAM around noon... they also mentioned it was quite rare for AV to do that. I know he's been criticized for a lack of this in the past.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Dado

vCash:
Prediction: we lead going into last minute, Chicago ties with seconds left, Yakupov flown in for the celebrity celly, Canucks win in SO.

Canucks win, streak lives, rivalry refueled, everybody happy.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
oh good than we don't need AV than since he is irrelevant according to u. fire him.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Prediction: we lead going into last minute, Chicago ties with seconds left, Yakupov flown in for the celebrity celly, Canucks win in SO.

Canucks win, streak lives, rivalry refueled, everybody happy.

Problem is I don't want everybody to be happy, I want my cake and eat it to!

Old
02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

AV has lost the locker room, most likely.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
David71

should a.v get canned?

Closed Thread