HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rec league limits -- how much can I get away with?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Some good comments on here. All of this stuff is helpful to me.

1) Hockey Quotes -- Yeah, those are not the best, but what the heck, I had just happened to see Goon the night before. It was stuck in my head.

2) Playing down a division is not an option. We are at the bottom! The problem is, our league manager pretty well sucks. He does not force teams to rank up unless it is over the top obvious, so there are really C level teams in our D level league. Most of these teams have played together for years. My team came straight out of an adult learn to play clinic. Some decent players and a lot of noobs, myself amongst them.

3) Perhaps my thread title was misleading. Not so much "how much can I get away with" but more of a "where is the line between hard play and ahole" would have been better. I have a better understanding of that now I think. I played a scrimmage last night with another club and definitely worked the push and stick tie up a lot more. Got a lot of elbows in the back and a lot of grinding in return, but I just considered that part of the game. Everything stayed between the whistles though and it seems to me if nobody has issues outside of that, then you are just playing hard hockey.

4) Getting bitter after a goal is expected. Running your mouth or getting chippy after a goal just seems classless to me. You got beat, reset and figure out how to win the next one. Now, if someone beats me and wants to run their mouth about it, especially if we are down a lot, they are taking their chances. Everyone has their limits. Have not run into that though.

5) For the record, I have 0 PIM on the year. I have drawn a few calls and quite frankly if I can frustrate a guy(legally) into drawing a call, then I have helped my team. Some guys seem to really take offense at getting tied up, I consider that to be their problem, not mine. No?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
hockeymass

If you frustrate a guy into taking a penalty, then you've helped your team for the time being, but like you said, everyone has limits, and if that guy doesn't cool off in the box and instead comes out headhunting, the game is going to get closer and closer to going off the rails. Sure, it's his problem, but when seconds/minutes are winding off the clock while guys punch each other in the face, it wastes everyone's time.

I'm speaking from experience here. I've seen many games where precious time is wasted by hotheads who were baited into reacting.

It doesn't seem like you're doing anything wrong, really, though. Just keep it between the whistles and don't try to get away with anything, and you're all set. No rules against a bit of grinding.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I don't really feel like that accomplishes anything but raising tempers. Obviously you have to stand your ground, but I just get annoyed when guys respond to goals by getting salty. It's a game. Respond on the scoreboard.

Here's how I feel. Everyone's there to have fun. There's no scouts in the stands, nobody's gonna hand you a contract because they like your grit. It's fine to step into contact a little bit or push a guy out of the slot, but trying to skirt the rules is just going to get people mad, and the refs shouldn't have to go out of their way to keep everyone in line. Players should police themselves and police their teammates and if you can't contribute without getting chippy then play down a division.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just really hate when we have to all sit around because two tough guys decided to get handsy. I like scoring goals and I like skating and I can't do those things when it gets out of hand.
I didn't mean to start whacking people because you're getting beat, I meant that if the team is rolling you it's usually good to get more physical. They might be afraid to skate hard against you because they might expect a cheap shot, they might know they can't overpower you, or whatever the case. It'll dumb down their game, and often that can help close the gap.

Believe me, though I'm one of the tough guys I am FAR from an instigator. Our small weak guys are best at that (which is a trend around here )

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:58 AM
ShakeyBonez

rec league limits.. hahahahha no such thing bud. The rink that i play at is all really up to the ref's discretion. I have seen some of the most gooned out stuff ever in the lower divisions too.

Your worst hotheaded offenders are always in the lower divisions. Period. If you want to play good hockey with contact and able to move bodies out of the way.. with out full blown **** moments. move up a few division's.

My rink level's are as follows

Beginner <--- NHL all stars, some guys really really take this division too seriously
D4-D3-D2-D1 <------ MOST RETARDS ARE IN THIS AREA!
C,Int,B,A<----- Guy Laflamme's

Last edited by Jarick: 02-08-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: offensive
ShakeyBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:23 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 70
Not to sidetrack the discussion but wanted to share a few things I've been thinking about defense. The "clear the crease" thing is not for me. My strategy when guarding the net is being totally aware of the shot/pass. I keep an eye also on the attacker but am not so worried where he is at because I will be quicker to the puck or to block his stick. I stay close to their forwards but not too close. Getting tangled up has only hurt my defending. If a player tries to screen I don't want to thicken with my body. Stay very alert, be strong on the stick. Put your body in the way as D but don't waste movements trying to disrupt their position until the moment you need to, like a stick lift. At that instant I will hide body contact while fighting for the puck and knock them off balance.

IMO being quicker and never giving up the battle are the 2 best attributes to playing defense, and all you need to come out + on the score sheet. That's what every D wants, right?

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:47 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyBonez View Post
rec league limits.. hahahahha no such thing bud. The rink that i play at is all really up to the ref's discretion. I have seen some of the most gooned out stuff ever in the lower divisions too.

Your worst hotheaded offenders are always in the lower divisions. Period. If you want to play good hockey with contact and able to move bodies out of the way.. with out full blown ****** moments. move up a few division's.

My rink level's are as follows

Beginner <--- NHL all stars, some guys really really take this division too seriously
D4-D3-D2-D1 <------ MOST RETARDS ARE IN THIS AREA!
C,Int,B,A<----- Guy Laflamme's
That may be how it is in California.

Last edited by Jarick: 02-08-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: qep
Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

While crude, Shakey's pretty close to what I see.

Lower levels seem to have more hot heads who play dirty and stupid, probably because that's where most adults who never played competitive hockey as kids will max out. Upper levels seem to have a lot of skilled players who were very good in high school or college and don't feel the need to prove their manliness on the ice.

Always exceptions to the rule though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
While crude, Shakey's pretty close to what I see.

Lower levels seem to have more hot heads who play dirty and stupid, probably because that's where most adults who never played competitive hockey as kids will max out. Upper levels seem to have a lot of skilled players who were very good in high school or college and don't feel the need to prove their manliness on the ice.

Always exceptions to the rule though.
You can make the point without calling people retards.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
My general rule of thumb is: If it would piss me off to see someone doing it to my teammate, it's probably not something I should do.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Halifaxhab*

You are about to go on the ice and were talikng about your job with one of the boys and that job isnt "pro hockey player"....than just have fun. Too mnay guys get way too serious about beer league. Just this thurs, I had a guy take a cross-ice run at me because he didn't appriciate my standing at the side of the net.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
My general rule of thumb is: If it would piss me off to see someone doing it to my teammate, it's probably not something I should do.
Ah, the golden rule for hockey. I think that fits though. I was never looking for ways to play dirty or cheap, just to understand where the line was between physical hockey and the rules... and how it is applied. I see a big difference between shoving a guy out of the crease and two handing them.

When I played wing and would get around the net, their would be guys that would constantly push me in the back, try to jostle me around, etc and it has never bothered me -- I just assumed that was part of the game. Honestly, I wondered why my defenders did not do that much. Now, a lot of guys don't do that because I am rather slow and largely unskilled, and because I am 6'4, 240, with a good hockey beard and I do play with a lot of intensity. I suppose their are more people that choose to play around me than through me. Defense is a different challenge but I can't wait to play it. I guess I will find out how many knuckleheads their really are in my league now

Old
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
mistrhanky

So, just to follow up, I took my first shot at D this week and definitely got into it. I found that with my size I was able to keep the crease cleared out pretty well, and guys just stopped venturing into the middle very often, trying to work the edges more. There was a fair amount of contact, a few elbows, etc but no complaints from anyone. I did unintentionally cross check a guy and ended up on my ass for it, but no complaints, just hockey.

It seems that the combination of a bit of pushing, crowding them and a lot of stick lift was the most effective. Now if I could just skate worth a damn and handle those rushes a bit better I think I would be ok.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Honestly it sounds like any of these things you're trying to do would just open yourself up for penalties, piss people off, and potentially get folks hurt. There is absolutely NO need to be physical in a no-contact recreational league. It's not the NHL. You can push them, you can't shove or hit them. With your size, it should be pretty easy to move guys out of the crease 99% of the time.
THANK YOU Jarick. That's exactly the point. There is no need to play "physical" in a non-contact league. That's not the point. Obviously shielding the puck with your body or pinning someone against the boards is fine, but getting "physical" in the meaning that most people think of is not what's supposed to be happening in non-contact adult league games. Guys don't go to these games expecting to get laid out just because they're in front of the net trying to score a goal, and there's no reason to do so. This isn't meaningful hockey. You're not playing for your future or money or what have you. As far as I've experienced, non-contact leagues seem to be all about stick-work and smarts as opposed to physicality (duh). Like Jarick said, you want to sort of drive the guy out of the front of your net, not toss him/cross-check him/punch him.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
redbranch

I'm a beginner, so I watched a few beer league games before doing anything just to see what I was in for.
I'm totally fine with the pushing for position on the puck, the pinning in the corners, and a little stick wrestling in the crease. I wouldn't do more than that, and I'd go play somewhere else if I received more than that too often.

Tuesday night I had a guy "dive for the puck". The problem was, I was directly between him and the puck, and was facing away from him, trying to corral the puck. The guy completely submarined me. 4 seconds left in a 4-2 game. He apologized, and I was fine with him, but that's a bit too much for me at the rec league level.

Play hard, play tenacious, play with the understanding that the other guy has to get up in the morning, take care of his kids and go to work

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
mistrhanky

That pretty well sums up what I am referring too.