HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Forward to Calgary for a Defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 05:23 PM
  #1
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO
 
Flames Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Forward to Calgary for a Defenseman

Flames just activated Anton Babchuk from I.R. and currently have 8 healthy D. Backlund and Baertschi are out long-term (4-6 weeks) and Cammalleri is day-to-day.

Any one of Chris Butler, Derek Smith, Anton Babchuk, and Cory Sarich can be had for the right forward.

Offer away..


Last edited by Flames Jihadist: 02-09-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
  #2
PMII
Shattendeuces
 
PMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 65,491
vCash: 50
Arron Asham for Cory Sarich.

EDIT: Nevermind, would rather not add $1M in cap space for the next two years.

I'll throw out a 4th for Smith.

__________________
PMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
  #3
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO
 
Flames Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Arron Asham for Cory Sarich.
That won't work. How about Chris Butler for Brian Boyle?

Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  #4
PMII
Shattendeuces
 
PMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 65,491
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
That won't work. How about Chris Butler for Brian Boyle?
Seems like Calgary fans hate Butler and think he sucks, from what I've read at least.

The Rangers already have two solid #7 defenseman on their D, but they could use a legit #6. I like Smith. Maybe Smith+ for Boyle if he's pushed out of the lineup? I'm not an advocate of trading Boyle, but if the offer is good enough I wouldn't be opposed to it.

PMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
  #5
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Seems like Calgary fans hate Butler and think he sucks, from what I've read at least.

The Rangers already have two solid #7 defenseman on their D, but they could use a legit #6. I like Smith. Maybe Smith+ for Boyle if he's pushed out of the lineup? I'm not an advocate of trading Boyle, but if the offer is good enough I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Butler struggles when he has to play over 15-17 minutes a night. He really is not a bad hockey player but he did play himself out of favor here in Calgary last year when he was relied upon to play top pairing minutes. I would definitely say that Butler is a more capable defender than Smith and has more room to improve. Smith is solid, but has really only played in extremely sheltered situations to this point in his career.

Boyle would be a great fit in Calgary. I would love to have him.

Also to the OP, where did you read that Baertschi was out 4-6 weeks? I certainly hope not, and I doubt that with a hip flexor injury. The last I heard was that he was listed as week to week and that it is nothing significant.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:55 PM
  #6
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Chris Butler is of interest to me for the Habs.

Decent size and can move the puck and is decent defensively. I thought he was good at the last world cup as well.

Montreal could use a guy like that, just timing right now sucks as we have a log jam of offensive dmen and I would like to see 2 go preferably Kaberle and Weber in that order.

What for Butler thought?

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
  #7
Beats By CoRD
Tommy Fresh
 
Beats By CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In The Studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,186
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Chris Butler is of interest to me for the Habs.

Decent size and can move the puck and is decent defensively. I thought he was good at the last world cup as well.

Montreal could use a guy like that, just timing right now sucks as we have a log jam of offensive dmen and I would like to see 2 go preferably Kaberle and Weber in that order.

What for Butler thought?
Prust!!!!!!!!!

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
  #8
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,533
vCash: 500
Babchuk never worked there, but trading him is fairly difficult.

Actually none of those defensemen have any substantial value. (Sarich? Lol)

Try Giordano. His contract is the easiest to move out of the top-3.

However, the Flames need him. Badly.

Anyway, you replace a plug defenseman with a plug forward... Team improved? Not really.

Just call up guys until the injured forwards come back. It's not like making an insignificant trade will affect Cgy's season.


TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
  #9
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,847
vCash: 500
Wandell + Morrow + Robidas for Butler or Babchuk. Dallas will eat as much salary as necessary.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
  #10
western redmen
the forgotten owskis
 
western redmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Wandell + Morrow + Robidas for Butler or Babchuk. Dallas will eat as much salary as necessary.
U guys hate morrow THAT much??

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  #11
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by western redmen View Post
U guys hate morrow THAT much??
Robidas. Also Morrow, but mostly Robidas.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:21 PM
  #12
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,652
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Wandell + Morrow + Robidas for Butler or Babchuk. Dallas will eat as much salary as necessary.
Done they are on their way to the airport no trade backs.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  #13
Stealth JD
You're Sicilian huh?
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bonita Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,013
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Try Giordano. His contract is the easiest to move out of the top-3.

However, the Flames need him. Badly.
Why do they need him so badly? To miss the playoffs? They can do that without him...

Stealth JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
  #14
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO
 
Flames Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Seems like Calgary fans hate Butler and think he sucks, from what I've read at least.

The Rangers already have two solid #7 defenseman on their D, but they could use a legit #6. I like Smith. Maybe Smith+ for Boyle if he's pushed out of the lineup? I'm not an advocate of trading Boyle, but if the offer is good enough I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Not true at all. We didn't like Butler in the top 4, we like him as a #5. If you'd prefer Smith, maybe Smith + 4th for Boyle. Flames could use some size down the middle.

How is Boyle's faceoff ability and physical play?

Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:19 PM
  #15
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,839
vCash: 500
Too bad both LA and Calgary couldn't go back in time a little. LA just traded Loktionov for a 5th, then acquired Ellerby for a 5th. The 2 could have just swapped Lokti for 1 of Calgary's excess dmen and killed 2 birds with one stone.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
  #16
Tapu Coco
fka coconut head
 
Tapu Coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,185
vCash: 500
Vanek, grigorenko, and three 1st rounders for The Anton

Tapu Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:59 PM
  #17
Kanye
Life of Pablo
 
Kanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,949
vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncebounce View Post
Vanek, grigorenko, and three 1st rounders for The Anton
Buffalo will have the add

Kanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
  #18
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,971
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Prust!!!!!!!!!
Christ no. At that salary keep Prust far from Calgary.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  #19
ThirdManIn
Aspiring Sinecure
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 58,295
vCash: 500
Awards:
Title edited for clarity.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=89413&dateline=146768  6770

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
  #20
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Babchuk never worked there, but trading him is fairly difficult.

Actually none of those defensemen have any substantial value. (Sarich? Lol)

Try Giordano. His contract is the easiest to move out of the top-3.

However, the Flames need him. Badly.

Anyway, you replace a plug defenseman with a plug forward... Team improved? Not really.

Just call up guys until the injured forwards come back. It's not like making an insignificant trade will affect Cgy's season.


TOML
The Flames don't need Giordano all that badly right now. Wideman is really working out. Brodie and JBo are both looking great this year. If Giordano is moved, it's not for a plug though. Young second liner with first line potential.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:50 PM
  #21
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Flames don't need Giordano all that badly right now. Wideman is really working out. Brodie and JBo are both looking great this year. If Giordano is moved, it's not for a plug though. Young second liner with first line potential.
The Flames don't need 4 top-four defensemen? Really?

You realize the Flames don't have anyone in the organization that comes close to being able to replace Giordano's minutes, right?

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.