HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
But does WSH have the motivation to do this deal at the draft? Do they still put Forsberg on the table at the draft?

I agree that a deal at the draft seems far more likely. Ride the two-headed monster into the playoffs a la Boston.
Sorry you're not getting Forsberg. He's gonna be a Cap for the foreseeable future.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Caps really need to acquire one of Vancouver's goalies before it's too late to save their season.
It's already too late to save their season. The Caps would have to play at a 100 point 82-game pace in order to get 50 points by the end of the season. Most think it'll take 54 points to make the playoffs. Barring a complete turnaround AND complete collapse by the entire rest of the division, this season is toast.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
The Brouwer ship has sailed IMO. They can no longer cost-control this player and WSH isn't going to eat salary on him. He's a Cap for the foreseeable future...

From WSH, it's Mojo + prospect(s). That's the only package that really makes sense. Throw in Neuverth for back up purposes. But that's the basis of a deal. Does it go down? Probably unlikely give that McPhee will be dealing from a major position of weakness. Traditionally, he's only struck deals when the cost to him has been minimal. Now though, he knows his team is really struggling and won't bend to such demands... even at the cost of his own job.

It would be different if everything else in WSH was going well aside from goaltending, but they have more problems.
I really think, goaltending is their problem though. Look at last nights game as a perfect example. things were going fairly well, they were up 1-0 after one, and had limmited the pens to only a handful of chances. Then in what 3 mins or something like that two goals are scored, and the flood gates are opened. If they had someone back there to make the timely save, I don't think you see the flood gate of goals, and a dip like that.

I agree I doubt they will become a player, but they really should. From what I have seen a good goalie, not even a guy as good as Lui would have them looking much better.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
It's already too late to save their season. The Caps would have to play at a 100 point 82-game pace in order to get 50 points by the end of the season. Most think it'll take 54 points to make the playoffs. Barring a complete turnaround AND complete collapse by the entire rest of the division, this season is toast.
Exactly right. Would be a mistake to acquire Luongo at this point. Continue to lose, draft a blue-chip player and re-group for next season.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:14 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I've always said Johansson makes sense for us, and if we needed a backup Neuvirth would be the one to go back. Although I'd still rather keep Luongo right now. Either way it would need a bit more value coming back.
If by a "bit more value coming back" you mean Carlson then lets get er done

Old
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

100 point pace isn't unrealistic.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Whitebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
But apparently Raymond will be traded part of this package? Personally I think Gillis trades Higgins before Raymond.

Johansson
Neuvirth
Prospect*

For

Luongo
Higgins

I doubt Gillis makes a trade like suggested after holding out so long, and Luongo playing very well. At the very least a good prospect needs to be added. I think Gillis would like Tom Wilson and his size, but I can see Forsberg being a possibility as well.

I don't see Washington being interested in Luongo and I don't see them giving up too much forward depth. I think a trade that works for both sides is

Schnieder and Schroeder

for

Johansson, Neuvirth and a 1st/2nd

goalie for goalie - young center for young center. Van gets the pick depending on where Washington finishes in the standings - top 15 pick - Vancouver ends up with their 2nd round. 16th or below and Van gets the 1st round.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
100 point pace isn't unrealistic.
Given the way they've been playing, i don't see it happening.

It's a shame, really. It used to be really fun watching Ovechkin/Backstrom/Green tearing it up.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post
I don't see Washington being interested in Luongo and I don't see them giving up too much forward depth. I think a trade that works for both sides is

Schnieder and Schroeder

for

Johansson, Neuvirth and a 1st/2nd

goalie for goalie - young center for young center. Van gets the pick depending on where Washington finishes in the standings - top 15 pick - Vancouver ends up with their 2nd round. 16th or below and Van gets the 1st round.
Not even close from a Vancouver perspective

Old
02-08-2013, 07:03 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Not even close from a Vancouver perspective
Yeah, but I would jump on that from a VAN perspective if it was an unconditional first. Even with Lu, that team is going to tank this year - that pick is going to be great.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Yeah, but I would jump on that from a VAN perspective if it was an unconditional first. Even with Lu, that team is going to tank this year - that pick is going to be great.
If they get either of Canucks goaltenders they won't tank lol.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Yeah, they will. That team is off - a rookie head coach that is playing Ovi with third-liners to throw him a change-up, a pedestrian defense (at best), scoring is low - nothing is saving this ship from sinking this year. I am not saying that they in the same position as truly bad teams (like CBJ, for example), because I think the ship can be righted next year. But this year is a loss. There is about zero hope of making the playoffs, which isn't going to boost morale. Personally, I doubt they would pay that high a price for Lu this year, given the above, and since I think they are still high on Holtby, and would just be placing themselves in VAN's position in a year or two.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I don't think Higgins is resigned next year regardless. Raymond may have a chance on a longer term, smaller cap hit deal. 3 year range, if he has good chemistry with Schroeder this year. I think Gillis wants Schroeder to play 3rd line center going forward, so player who play well with him I think have a better chance staying.

Higgins is far more valuable than Raymond, and he can play with anyone.

I'm of the opposite view when it comes to Higgins, guess we'll see.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Given the way they've been playing, i don't see it happening.

It's a shame, really. It used to be really fun watching Ovechkin/Backstrom/Green tearing it up.

With the way they're playing, yes. With the way they could play given a significant upgrade in goal? No.

They're still generating a good amount of goals for and limiting to a respectable shots against. Put a better goaltender in their and their GA percentage changes drastically.

But it's all for not, because I don't think McPhee will jump on a deal during the season. Offseason? Maybe.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Question the source/validity of the rumor, however Capitals are not going to add any of their prospects or draft picks, especially of the likes of Tom Wilson or Forsberg in any transactions. Caps prospect pool is thin at the forwards, so no way.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
No but they'll lose in the playoffs.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
No but they'll lose in the playoffs.
Why would they want to do this, right? There is no shame in tanking this season and getting a Jones (this kid is the real deal - best skater IMHO in the WJC), MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov. This would be more Indy Colts situation in getting Andrew Luck than being an actual terrible team.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
binop7

What part of McPhee saying he can't take on that contract don't you understand. Luongo's contract is as close to untradeable as you get the more and more I think about it. Especially with what Gillis is reportedly asking for.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
DeveinedPgBc

I would like Carlson, Neuvirth and Laich for Luongo and Ballard

or Neuvirth,Laich, 1st/Forsberg/Kuznetzov for the same package

i know...."stoopid canuks fan, you aInt gettin thaT!!!" beat ya all to it. i said i want, not here's what i think we can get. gotta think big though, i know gillis does

Old
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
ZenMaster*

Nope he is not untradeable,

His cap hit is very reasonable (9th highest among goaltenders) and he is a top 5 goalie. His salary in the second half of his contract is very low and there are a few outs from each side as well so no team is absolutely locked in to keeping him.

Regardless, the way Canucks are playing, I hope they keep him. Canucks have been tearing it without Kesler and Booth, so when they come back, this team is rock solid on all ends for a good run.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why would they want to do this, right? There is no shame in tanking this season and getting a Jones (this kid is the real deal - best skater IMHO in the WJC), MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov. This would be more Indy Colts situation in getting Andrew Luck than being an actual terrible team.
imo yes

Old
02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Tell that to GM whose job is on the line or to ownership paying Ovechkin the most expensive contract in hockey.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:30 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
imo yes
Quote:
Tell that to GM whose job is on the line or to ownership paying Ovechkin the most expensive contract in hockey.
Most savvy business owners can discern between a situation where you lose (made up numbers for arguments sake) $5mm and one where you lose $20mm. The fact is you were going to lose no matter what - the skill is that you were able to minimize your loss. This is why CEO's get huge pay packages even when the company loses money. The Caps are going to lose no matter what, its how they manage that loss is what matters. If the GM can't make his owner see this, he deserves to lose his job.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
What part of McPhee saying he can't take on that contract don't you understand.

A preposterous statement. He has far worse contracts on his roster. I'm more surprised he said anything relating to the particulars of Luongo at all. What was the need to comment on the particulars of prospects and the contract at all?

Quote:
Luongo's contract is as close to untradeable as you get the more and more I think about it. Especially with what Gillis is reportedly asking for.

Untradeable? No. Teams would take Luongo right now for a 7th rounder, in a heartbeat. It's the asking price. It's always been the asking price.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Most savvy business owners can discern between a situation where you lose (made up numbers for arguments sake) $5mm and one where you lose $20mm. The fact is you were going to lose no matter what - the skill is that you were able to minimize your loss. This is why CEO's get huge pay packages even when the company loses money. The Caps are going to lose no matter what, its how they manage that loss is what matters. If the GM can't make his owner see this, he deserves to lose his job.
If that's the case then the Capitals will lose next year with their roster and should sell off what they have, because tanking for a high draft pick will not improve them next year. Capitals have some very good pieces on forward and defence to compete now. I don't see how capitals will lose no matter what, anyways these are loser attitudes I have come accustomed to reading in these threads. The bottom line is that players, coaches, and GMs are competitive, they don't play to lose. People on HFboards like to lose and accumulate prospects, no wonder no one here works in the hockey business.

Closed Thread