HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So Basically...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
  #1
capn89*
 
capn89*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
So Basically...

... is this team going to absolutely suck next season? You have guys who seem like they want out. Somewhat worthless role players added to a team that wasn't all that outstanding that year. Where do we stand in 06-07?

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
  #2
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89 View Post
... is this team going to absolutely suck next season? You have guys who seem like they want out. Somewhat worthless role players added to a team that wasn't all that outstanding that year. Where do we stand in 06-07?

Whether they suck is going to depend on 3 things:

1) Health - This team was decimated by injuries last year
2) Development - Umberger, Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, Meyer, Nitty need to step up and show they are the real deal. If so, we have a great young core group of players coming together.
3) Goaltending - Someone needs to claim the number one spot

I am not as concerned about the defense cause I think Rathje and Hatcher were fine up until their injuries killed them.

I still think the team is going to do the best they can to get rid of Hatcher.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
  #3
FlyersFanJS
Registered User
 
FlyersFanJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hellertown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 500
06-07 is not the year for the flyers...BUT, wait until 07-08 when gagne is more seasoned, pitkanen should be in all-star form, nitty is a solid goaltender, and richards/carter/umberger/meyer really start coming into their prime

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
  #4
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Where do you get that guys "want out"?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
  #5
Lupul*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
I think the Flyers still have a good shot at the division title next season.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
  #6
bigjags*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Why would this team suck???? The Flyers have one of the best young cores in the game.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
  #7
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
I think the Flyers still have a good shot at the division title next season.

Considering we tied in points for the division title this past season with all those injuries and sacks of crap like Savage and Brashear getting regular minutes, I haven't lost hope for the division this year.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:36 PM
  #8
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think we should wait and see how the rest of the offseason shapes up before making predictions. For example, I think the Devils are in major trouble right now and are looking at losing Gomez and/or Gionta. I think the NYR will be pretty strong though, but I could see us getting a 6 seed. I also like the team better than last year's I think just because I don't think they'll be as slow. I really would like to see another good skating d-man, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
  #9
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
Carter, Richards, Meyer, Pitkanen, Niittymaki should be further developed now and their game will improve. The only notable loss (except Forsberg to injury) is Johnsson, who was struggling last season anyway.

With all of the injuries last season, how the Flyers did was very impressive. If they were just 5% healthier, they would have won the division. Not to mention the pain that almost all of the team was in during the short playoff run, resulting in a huge flurry of surgeries. I think a lot of Flyers fans were just too used to seeing Clarke and co. dish out millions upon millions every summer for big-name FAs. Say hello to the salary cap.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
  #10
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
of course we won't suck. don't read too much into everyone's ****** attitudes around here because they are pissy that clarke couldn't pull a rabbit out of his *** to get a redden-esque guy in town.

we probably won't win the cup, but in my eyes this is the season where we will learn how to play in the new NHL and where our rookies from last season will mold into true NHL players. 07-08 is what we should have our eyes on IMO.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,479
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Why would this team suck???? The Flyers have one of the best young cores in the game.
...that will have a lot of trouble keeping the puck out of the net.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
  #12
Lupul*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
...that will have a lot of trouble keeping the puck out of the net.
...in our offensive zone.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
  #13
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
...that will have a lot of trouble keeping the puck out of the net.
I don't think it will be that bad, off the top of my head, I'd say the D is about No. 15-20 in the league which isn't terrible.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
  #14
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Plus, there was addition by subtraction - Wayne Fleming. Now with Terry Murray coaching the special teams, I expect a drastic improvement.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
  #15
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
I think the Flyers will have the worst kind of season: mediocre. Not good enough to do any real damage, but not bad enough to reap the benefits.

Brad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
  #16
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
...that will have a lot of trouble keeping the puck out of the net.
I have more faith in Frank than Esche.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:43 PM
  #17
Art Vandelay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Losses/gains for the Flyers this offseason are as of roght now:

Eric Desjardins (5/6 d-man) replaced with
Nolan Baumgartner (5/6 d-man) who probably will be healthier and not wear down as much.

Donald Brashear (4th liner) replace with
Ben Eager (4th liner) better player, much higher upside.

Turner Stevenson (4th liner) replace with
Brad Tapper (4th liner) if nothing else Tapper should be healthier.

Branko Radivojevic (4th liner) replaced with
Marty Murray (4th liner) atleast he's cheaper and will chip in more offence.

Brian Savage (3rd liner) replaced with
Randy Robitaille (3rd liner) more offence, less defence.

Chris Therien (reserve d-man) replaced with
Randy Jones/Alexandre Picard.

Kim Johnsson (top-2 d-man) replaced with
A better Pitkanen and Meyer and maybe Lars Jonsson (i'd call him a "joker", we simply don know yet)

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:47 PM
  #18
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post

Chris Therien (reserve d-man) replaced with
Randy Jones/Alexandre Picard.

PLEASE NOT RANDY JONES. Picard should be good.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
  #19
Blindsided
Registered User
 
Blindsided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: at the rink
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
PLEASE NOT RANDY JONES. Picard should be good.
I definately agree with you there.

Blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:48 PM
  #20
FlyersHomer DM03
Registered User
 
FlyersHomer DM03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Allentown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
Losses/gains for the Flyers this offseason are as of roght now:

Eric Desjardins (5/6 d-man) replaced with
Nolan Baumgartner (5/6 d-man) who probably will be healthier and not wear down as much.

Donald Brashear (4th liner) replace with
Ben Eager (4th liner) better player, much higher upside.

Turner Stevenson (4th liner) replace with
Brad Tapper (4th liner) if nothing else Tapper should be healthier.

Branko Radivojevic (4th liner) replaced with
Marty Murray (4th liner) atleast he's cheaper and will chip in more offence.

Brian Savage (3rd liner) replaced with
Randy Robitaille (3rd liner) more offence, less defence.

Chris Therien (reserve d-man) replaced with
Randy Jones/Alexandre Picard.

Kim Johnsson (top-2 d-man) replaced with
A better Pitkanen and Meyer and maybe Lars Jonsson (i'd call him a "joker", we simply don know yet)
This is a good run down of everything thus far...
Eager should've recieved ice time a lot sooner last season...
Lars Jonsson is a joker indeed, he could be a huge steal for us on the free agent market or he could be nothing, which is what we gave up to get him
Alex Picard has a hell of a shot, let him develop and he will be an asset to our power play.

You forgot two things, a big + and a huge -
(+) The Captain...Primeau, if healthy, will have a tremendous effect on the psyche of this team...and that will effect the little things that effect huge outcomes...maybe the one goal losses, overtime losses, etc. go the other way this season and we improve upon last year, hopefully Primeau can keep this team from getting all emo for the period when Forsberg is out...which brings me to the CON
(-) No Forsberg until '07...the best playmaker in the league, and you saw how this team stunk it up when he didn't play. We're left with Centers like Handzus, Carter, Richards, who aren't exactly playmakers...oh great more Peter Nedved...this season will be interesting to say the least

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:41 AM
  #21
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHomer DM03 View Post
This is a good run down of everything thus far...
Eager should've recieved ice time a lot sooner last season...
Lars Jonsson is a joker indeed, he could be a huge steal for us on the free agent market or he could be nothing, which is what we gave up to get him
Alex Picard has a hell of a shot, let him develop and he will be an asset to our power play.

You forgot two things, a big + and a huge -
(+) The Captain...Primeau, if healthy, will have a tremendous effect on the psyche of this team...and that will effect the little things that effect huge outcomes...maybe the one goal losses, overtime losses, etc. go the other way this season and we improve upon last year, hopefully Primeau can keep this team from getting all emo for the period when Forsberg is out...which brings me to the CON
(-) No Forsberg until '07...the best playmaker in the league, and you saw how this team stunk it up when he didn't play. We're left with Centers like Handzus, Carter, Richards, who aren't exactly playmakers...oh great more Peter Nedved...this season will be interesting to say the least

Well, Richards is a very good playmaker if given the chance. He is obviously not Forsberg, but I say stick him between Gagne and Knuble and see how he does.

Assuming they are all still here and looking to life without Forsberg, unless the FLyers bring in another center, Richards will be his center of the future anyway. Gagne doesnt fit with Carter or Potulny as they are more shooters then passers. I say in a couple years if everything pans out the top two lines are

Umberger Carter Giroux/playmaking RW
Gagne Richards goal scorer

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:28 AM
  #22
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,479
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
I think the Flyers still have a good shot at the division title next season.


As we have come to see, winning the division is not important.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.