HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Yet people wonder why I bet against the exact opposite of everything George says.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yet people wonder why I bet against the exact opposite of everything George says.
Who wonders that?

Old
02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I'd still like a real example of him saying one thing and doing the exact opposite. He's not saying everything he's thinking, but he obviously really means that they aren't going to blow the team up. He didn't say no trades are coming. He equivocates and makes vague statements, but he doesn't blatantly misdirect or lie. I would probably like him more if he did, but it's a complete myth, one that gives him more credit than he deserves.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
The tweets at the top of this page seem to indicate that McPhee got up on his soapbox and talked about how he thought everything was fine and that if we stay the course we'll start winning. There was an element of that general attitude but to anyone who watched the press conference it's pretty obvious that he's disappointed, he blames the players for making stupid mistakes or for not stopping pucks and that he's mainly just trying to protect his players' egos by walking a company line.

Seriously ask yourself. Is any GM going to stand up on a podium and say the truth? "Hey guys here's the deal. Carlson is awful. Johansson is awful. Our goalies aren't ready for the NHL. Backstrom is playing like he's asleep. Hamrlik belongs on a rocking chair. Joel Ward has the personality of a piano. Schultz is a liability. Ovechkin only plays hard when everybody else takes the night off. Somehow Mike Green and that little Mexican guy are actually our best players. Our coach is in waaaay over his head with this band of idiots. I'm going to blow up this team. Peace out!"

So what we've missed is a bunch of stuff that wasn't actually said, and is being assumed?

I'm not sure what you think we're supposed to do here. You even said he had the general attitude that matches the quotes. We've seen GMGM stay his hand at the trade deadline because he thought the team was fine when they weren't. We've seen him re-up players we knew were terrible at worst, and not worth it at best. And so on.

So why assume he believes he's done a terrible job and is just lying about it when his track record indicates he seems to think he's doing great? Why shouldn't we want some honesty, or some change?

Old
02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
SDBondra

Assumed is a little bit of a strong word but it's a fair point. When I watch McPhee I see a guy who is biting his lip at every single question that gets sent his way because he knows there's no point in berating his players. But you're right - he's responsible for what comes out of his mouth and I'm inferring quite a lot. To me he has some pretty easy to spot tells - he is literally squirming all over the place in that press conference. I was uncomfortable watching it. He thinks more than what he's saying. He does say pretty directly that the team is getting bent over by its own bad penalties and poor goaltending and I don't disagree with that. I just don't think his message was "if we keep playing hard we'll turn it around." I have a feeling he's moving on a goalie.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
g00n
abides

More quotes here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-wor...1678--nhl.html

Old
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I'd still like a real example of him saying one thing and doing the exact opposite. He's not saying everything he's thinking, but he obviously really means that they aren't going to blow the team up. He didn't say no trades are coming. He equivocates and makes vague statements, but he doesn't blatantly misdirect or lie. I would probably like him more if he did, but it's a complete myth, one that gives him more credit than he deserves.
I cant remember many specifics but I thought it was commonly accepted that he lies. He seems to be one of the more secretive GM's (not sure)

Near any trade deadline, or the opening of free agency, are the times I remember.

The best example was the day before he landed Vokoun, singing Holtby's praises as being ready, him done in FA.

Yeah I know Vokoun feel into his lap. I don't care. Holtby's next year suffered and I speculated it was from that.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
The tweets at the top of this page seem to indicate that McPhee got up on his soapbox and talked about how he thought everything was fine and that if we stay the course we'll start winning. There was an element of that general attitude but to anyone who watched the press conference it's pretty obvious that he's disappointed, he blames the players for making stupid mistakes or for not stopping pucks and that he's mainly just trying to protect his players' egos by walking a company line.

Seriously ask yourself. Is any GM going to stand up on a podium and say the truth? "Hey guys here's the deal. Carlson is awful. Johansson is awful. Our goalies aren't ready for the NHL. Backstrom is playing like he's asleep. Hamrlik belongs on a rocking chair. Joel Ward has the personality of a piano. Schultz is a liability. Ovechkin only plays hard when everybody else takes the night off. Somehow Mike Green and that little Mexican guy are actually our best players. Our coach is in waaaay over his head with this band of idiots. I'm going to blow up this team. Peace out!"

I ****in' lost it at "little Mexican guy." So hard to keep from bursting out in laughter in the middle of the office.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I cant remember many specifics but I thought it was commonly accepted that he lies. He seems to be one of the more secretive GM's (not sure)

Near any trade deadline, or the opening of free agency, are the times I remember.
Like I said, it's a well established myth. There's just not evidence that it's actually true though. He is extremely secretive; it's true that the Capitals prevent leaks as well as anyone. That's totally different. He's secretive and equivocal so his actions can't be predicted, but he doesn't seem to lie at all.

Quote:
The best example was the day before he landed Vokoun, singing Holtby's praises as being ready, him done in FA.

Yeah I know Vokoun feel into his lap. I don't care. Holtby's next year suffered and I speculated it was from that.
That doesn't make it close to a lie. He did not know about what would unfold with Vokoun the next day. He meant it when he said he was happy going in with Holtby. Holtby's play suffering as a result is 100% on Holtby and doesn't reflect well on him.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

We are but 10 games into the season. Give it time for my opposite theory to be tested, before shooting it down. I will stand by my theory. He has barely spoken.

Do you think his big speech yesterday implied he is not going to make any trades before the deadline? That all is well? That he is happy with the team?

I will go opposite. He makes a move no one saw coming, I win, right?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Atlas

Quote:

There actually are GM's that tell the truth. But they are winners, not excuse-makers.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
leonsis runs the team. he approves the budgets. mcphee has a budget. that budget includes his players, but also includes his office staff, his assistant gm's, the scouting staff and management of it and beyond.

leonsis spends to the salary cap or has in the past. but we also know he was a hardliner trying to reduce costs. if you think mcphee has a operating budget like ken holland's with the red wings, you are sorely mistaken.

i do know simply from word of mouth that the caps have a rep for going cheap on coaching. maybe thats mcphee. i would suggest since there's been some documentation that the caps scouting budget allowed for only young, inexperienced and inexpensive scouts pre fire sale and that mcphee had to lobby for more budget to keep his good scouts and hire experienced scouts. if that is true, it certainly fits that pattern that leonsis doesnt want to spend big money on his coaches.
Wings announcers Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond have discussed this many times... and the Wings drafting success, according to Mickey Redmond, comes down to 2 scouts. I'll have to look up the euro scouts name, but the north American scout is Mark Howe.

McPhee cannot duplicate this, because his ability to pick talent is limited, even when we're talking about scouts.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
We are but 10 games into the season. Give it time for my opposite theory to be tested, before shooting it down. I will stand by my theory. He has barely spoken.

Do you think his big speech yesterday implied he is not going to make any trades before the deadline? That all is well? That he is happy with the team?

I don't mean to be a dick, but did you read my post?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
My guess is they just didn't want to handcuff themselves beyond this season due to the assumed cap drop. It's always about down the line.
I've mentioned this before... perhaps now, some will listen.

If you do not own a copy, get a hold of Jim Bouton's 1969 epic: "Ball Four."

Although a baseball diary, Bouton offers a ton of insight on management (and many other subjects).

In discussing his contract negotiations, he makes a point many fans never even consider: sports, first and foremost, are businesses. These owners and GM's are not a bunch of guys who want to hang around the locker rooms, and are willing to pay big bucks to do it.

They're in it... to make money.

George (and his law degree: yes, he's a lawyer, folks) and his management team may not be great at team building, but they're good at THE most important thing: making money.

And as long as they're making money, it'll be hard to get rid of him, as Ted LOVES money!

Last edited by BTCG: 02-08-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-08-2013, 09:21 PM
sunnydaycrash

I love how GMGM pointed out that the Caps had only scored 1 less goal than the bruins, completely failing to mention the B's have played 2 less games.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

He's definitely said one thing and done the other. The Vokoun signing is only one example. Bloody hell, he even said no junior player would coming to camp the day before Tom Wilson was invited.

Also recall him saying they were more than happy with the team right before he traded for Corvo and if I recall Fedorov as well.

Not sure it's considered lying, but he definitely does his best to divert any desperation.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
There actually are GM's that tell the truth. But they are winners, not excuse-makers.
like who? give some examples please.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:13 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

The next time our team is in its annual 10 ugly game skid, for once I want to hear GMGM say he is ready to make a trade. Just one time, before he retires. Just for the hell of it.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
like who? give some examples please.

Peter Chiarelli
Lou Lamoriello
Glen Sather
Steve Yzerman
Joe Nieuwendyk
Ken Holland
Dean Lombardi
Brian Burke

Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Smith and owner Steve Biscotti are good examples also.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:26 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Peter Chiarelli
Lou Lamoriello
Glen Sather
Steve Yzerman
Joe Nieuwendyk
Ken Holland
Dean Lombardi
Brian Burke

Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Smith and owner Steve Biscotti are good examples also.
Come on now bolded snake draft in '05.

Holland on that list would be my vote. Granted they had a few hall of fame players on that roster.

No one from NJD organization will ever get anything from due to the 90's clutch and grab era.

02-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@SkyKerstein: #Caps GMGM on if penalties is a leadership thing "I don't think so. Troy Brouwer is as good of leader as there is in this game."

Calling out two teammates in the offseason... great leader.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:40 AM
msrulo

McPhee forgot to add himself to the depth chart.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:57 AM
um

Quote:
Peter Chiarelli
Lou Lamoriello
Glen Sather
Steve Yzerman
Joe Nieuwendyk
Ken Holland
Dean Lombardi
Brian Burke

those arent examples i want examples of GM's talking **** about their team when they are struggling

Old
02-09-2013, 08:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Lulz at Ozzie Smith as GM of the Ravens.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
mcphee parses his words cafefully and then people run off the reservation with it.
he said that he didnt expect anything big and would part with either a first round pick or one of his top young players. the media said mcphee didnt plan to be active. thats not what he said. he then traded a secondary prospect and a second round pick for fedorov. the traded pettinger for cooke. at the presser when asked why he was active whn he said he wouldnt be, he said that he said he would trade a first and he didnt or one of his top young players and he didnt.

if he says he wont trade a first and then trades a first or says he wont trade alzner or carlson and then trades carlson, ive never seen him do that kind of thing

Closed Thread